PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your spells are still active?

Orran
2013-08-02, 10:36 AM
Simple question:

If you are not in a position to observe a spell being dispelled, can you tell if it has happened.

Example: You create a mark of justice on an evildoer, and he gets a corrupt cleric to remove it. Would be good to know.

I looked in a few areas for information, but if there is some, my google skills need improving. Related things I could think of: When casting a spell, you can tell if a save is made (single target.) Spellcraft allows you to sense and identify nearby magical auras.

Homebrewing a spell that piggy backs onto existing spell effects seems reasonable to peg at 1st/2nd level, but I was wondering if anything else really exists.

Any help playgrounders?

Diarmuid
2013-08-02, 10:42 AM
Unless the spell is dismissable, I don't think there would be a way to determine if a spell that couldn't be identified as "active" via a Spellcraft check is still going.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-08-02, 10:49 AM
Most spells are "cast and forget."

However, if a PC or NPC is interested in their mark of justice, they can Scry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm)upon their target so long as they prepare the correct spell each day. This is why Crystal Balls are so useful- no need to prepare the spell.