PDA

View Full Version : Meetup UKitP XIV: Something Witty Should Go Here

Pages : [1] 2 3

Castaras
2013-08-02, 10:57 AM
UPDATE: Meeting here for 16:00pm

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9940/2mcc.png

It's the hotel most folks are staying at. We'll mess around there for an hour or so before heading into Harrow on the Hill for an evening meal at the Wetherspoons at 18:00pm.

If the map isn't working, put "HA3 8AT" into Google Maps. Nearest station is KENTON, which is on the Bakerloo line. Awfully handy if you're coming from Paddington

New meetup! New thread

The previous main meetups:

1 - The one that started it all!
2 - Brumland, I believe.
3 - Brumland again?
4 - Reading/Basingstoke. Totally didn't happen no matter what Archie says.
5 - Peterborough.
6 - Didn't miss this one out, honest!
7 - The Archon triumphed over the Hippie in London.
8 - Sheffield! So much snow. o.o
9 - The first playing of Kubb! In Peterborough again.
10 - BRADFORD WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
11 - Newcastle was over-run with hats and Hate-Boar.
12 - More Chaos in Leicester- wasn't Castaras enough? Plus a trans-atlantic stabbing.
13 - Derby Fun Times

MEETUP INFORMATION

When: The weekend of Saturday 14th December. I think. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.
Where: The Junction, Harrow (http://www.thejunctionharrow.co.uk/). Cost = £100 (all day [hours here]) inc. food. See here for platter types on offer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16215016&postcount=318); five max, mix-and-match. Please hurry and choose this, and bold the phrase 'platter choice'.
How to Get There: The pub is about 10 minutes walk from Harrow-On-The-Hill tube station, which has good links to a Premier Inn nearby in Wembley and to Kings Cross - all on the Metropolitan line. (More accurate info to come later)

Please check to make sure your name's under the right column and amend where appropriate. Almost everyone who posted/voted about location is listed under Maybe if they didn't provide any specifics, and everyone else is placed according to best guess or a definite response. Or tradition.

Definitely
[name] - [arrival time/location] - [departure time/location]
Archie(???????)
Ashtagon
Astrella
Curly - pending interviews
FinnLassie
lesser_minion
Lixie
Mercenary Pen - Saturday [??:??] - Sunday [??:??]
Strawberries
Snowfire
Snow Leopard/Cream
Succubus
Thufir (and possibly Tasroth?)

Maybe
Aedilred(?????)
Aotrs Commander (??????)
Diego Havoc
Dr. Bath(?????????)
hamishspence
randman
Spanner(??????)

Wishful Thinking/:frown:
DD
Ku :frown:
Jibbers
Nameless

Hotels/Inns
[place] (with link) - [information such as directions, cost and so on]
Premier Inn (http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/WEMPTI/london-wembley-stadium?cmp=KNC_D_BND&mckv=sVCki6dZW_dc|pcrid|34373821899|kword|premier% 20inn%20wembley|match|e|plid) - This is at Wembley Park station, almost right outside the entrance. It's on the Metropolitan line, which goes to Harrow-On-The-Hill (where the Junction is).
Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/wembley/lonwe/hoteldetail?qDest=Wembley%2C+United+Kingdom&qAdlt=1&qChld=0&qRms=1&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qSmP=3&qWch=0&qSHp=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv&qSrt=BRAND_SORT&qRad=10&qRdU=1&qRpp=25&qRRSrt=rt&qLat=51.5504&qLng=-0.3053&qFRA=1&srb_u=1) -
Premier Inn - Strawberries and Cream;

Floorspace - typically first come, first served
[person] - [number of spaces] - [additional information]
Ashtagon - [????] - [?????]
Succubus (??????????)

Veggies/Vegans/Pescatarians
[name] - [thing]
Tasroth - veggie

Allergies
[name] - [allergy]
Lensman - nuts
Fi(o)nn(uala)Lassie - dairy

Really Don't Like/Allergies Combo (this helps determine restaurant type for Official Pre-Meetup Dinner)
[name] - [thing]
Strawberries - Italian restaurants due to being Italian
Cream - ditto
FionnualaLassie - needs to have dairy free options

Locals and people skilled in Google-fu are needed here

Italian
Indian
The Junction itself seems to offer a rather nice food menu

Additionally: depending on the price of ingredients and the amount people bake they might ask for a small contribution to help cover costs.
[name] - [thing]
Curly - baked goods; mostly sweet - cookies (flavours TBD); muffins/cupcakes (flavours TBD)
Snowfire - brownies

[name] - [games]

Things that don't belong elsewhere.

Platter Votes:
Suc - three Am, one Fest, one Ind
Curl - two Am, two Fest, one Ind
Fionn - three Am, two Fest, zero Ind (guessing given you gave no numbers)
lesser - two Am, two Fest, one Ind
Merc Pen - two Am, two Fest, one Ind
Snowfire - two Am, two Fest, one Ind
Strawberries - two Am, three Fest, zero Ind
Cream/Snow Leopard - one Am, three Fest, one Ind

Adjust everything as needed.

And if people want to be sorting out other cool meetups between now and then please go right ahead.

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 11:45 AM
Londooooooon.
Or leicester would work I miss my corner

The Succubus
2013-08-02, 11:52 AM
Wit? At a meet up? Fat chance. :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 12:14 PM
In terms of transport, put my vote down for London. Taking mid-January as a possible date, a flight to Burmingham will cost me £100 from Inverness, and then I'd have to deal with transport the rest of the way.

A flight to London around the same dates will cost me £50.

So...I vote London :smalltongue:

Astrella
2013-08-02, 12:14 PM
I would definitely like to come to the next meetup because the last one was absolutely lovely. (And hopefully I can drag Dogmantra along this time.)

Strawberries
2013-08-02, 12:20 PM
Leicester's obviously closer to us, but if London works for our northern contingent and our 'abroad' contingent, then it works for me. :smallsmile:

Astrella
2013-08-02, 12:25 PM
Does that make me part of the UK group's Foreign Legion? :smalltongue:

randman22222
2013-08-02, 12:40 PM
Can I request somewhere closer to Glasgow than London? Not that I dislike London, it's awesome, but it's very far away. :smallfrown:

Strawberries
2013-08-02, 12:57 PM

Yes...but I'm not sure what it makes me. :smalltongue:

Can I request somewhere closer to Glasgow than London? Not that I dislike London, it's awesome, but it's very far away. :smallfrown:

But....winter. Cold. Snow.
Next summer one? :smallsmile:

FinnLassie
2013-08-02, 12:59 PM
I would be interested to come, but only if I'm able to use randman as my shield. Hrmhm. Hmm...

*hides behind corner*

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 01:13 PM

Yes. You may now design your own banner to march under :smalltongue:

Considering that the general consensus from the majority of those in England is that we go south for the winter meets, London is actually probably the least expensive bet as things go. As you get further into England, it just becomes easier - and steadily cheaper - to fly down. I'd love somewhere closer, really, but...apparently snow is a thing that makes people run and hide down south.

Don't ask me why, I don't understand it :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 01:14 PM
I just want a journey taking under five hours for a change. :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 01:24 PM

So would I :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 01:30 PM
Well, I'd feel sympathetic if you were right about alignment! :smallwink::smalltongue:

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 01:39 PM
Well, I'd feel sympathetic if you were right about alignment! :smallwink::smalltongue:

Dear, please, I'd rather not defeat you in such an impersonal setting :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 01:49 PM
Like that's a worry. :smallwink:

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 02:19 PM
Quite the contrary, the impersonal nature of this setting is entirely a worry. I mean, here, I can't actually see the results of my handiwork.

Very important that :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 02:41 PM
That's true. Where's the fun when you can't see your arguments failing to make any difference as my superior points shatter them? :3

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 02:52 PM
That's true. Where's the fun when you can't see your arguments failing to make any difference as my superior points shatter them? :3

You're aware that in all likelihood this is going to end in an agree to disagree scenario, right? :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2013-08-02, 02:55 PM
Probably. xD

lesser_minion
2013-08-02, 02:57 PM
Hang on, last time I checked in on these threads, weren't we thinking Bristol or Exeter?

Seriously, the only SW meetup so far has been the micro-meetup between me, Serps, and Thufir. It's definitely under-represented as far as meetup settings are concerned.

(I'm not averse to Cardiff, Gloucester, and Cheltenham, if there are any playgrounders in those areas who follow these threads).

Also, I don't care what the Glaswegian brigade thinks, Leicester is not 'south' England.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-08-02, 03:04 PM

*waves slowly from five hours journey away from anywhere remotely central*

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 03:06 PM
Hang on, last time I checked in on these threads, weren't we thinking Bristol or Exeter?

Seriously, the only SW meetup so far has been the micro-meetup between me, Serps, and Thufir. It's definitely under-represented as far as meetup settings are concerned.

(I'm not averse to Cardiff, Gloucester, and Cheltenham, if there are any playgrounders in those areas who follow these threads).

Well, with a quick check, Bristol is a location I could certainly get behind. Flights actually seem to be cheaper than those to London, which amuses me no end (using early January as the time period again). The other locations....nothing in the way of flights for me I'm afraid.

Probably. xD

Good. Not to say we can't try, mind, just keeping in mind that opinion is opinion and that it belongs to the person who has it. Yes, I am capable of being vaguely considerate. Try not to faint.

lesser_minion
2013-08-02, 03:21 PM
Well, with a quick check, Bristol is a location I could certainly get behind. Flights actually seem to be cheaper than those to London, which amuses me no end (using early January as the time period again). The other locations....nothing in the way of flights for me I'm afraid.

Fair warning: Bristol airport is actually in the middle of nowhere. It's something like £7 to get from there back to civilisation.

Devmaar
2013-08-02, 03:31 PM
Exeter or London would mean that Lawnchair and I would definitely go, anywhere else would be cost dependent.

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 03:32 PM
Fair warning: Bristol airport is actually in the middle of nowhere. It's something like £7 to get from there back to civilisation.

Which will still probably put it less than London (considering that I'd have to fly into Gatwick and transport from there to London is decidedly uncheap). The warning is appreciated though.

So Bristol or London would work quite well for me at least. Other places...well it pretty much comes down to airports. As I do not want to have to take a third of a transatlantic flight time to go anywhere in this country.

Curly, you have my sympathies.

lesser_minion
2013-08-02, 03:36 PM
Exeter or London would mean that Lawnchair and I would definitely go, anywhere else would be cost dependent.

From Exeter? I'm pretty sure that there is no way in the myriad fire-breathing skunks of the nine hells that London is cheaper or easier for you to get to than Bristol, Cardiff, or Gloucester.

Devmaar
2013-08-02, 03:42 PM
Lawnchair goes to uni in London, free accommodation beats cheaper trains

Astrella
2013-08-02, 04:03 PM
If I order my tickets in time the Eurostar should only cost half as much as it cost me now because I only ordered a day in advance, so that should be reasonably. Amusingly / sadly enough train prices in England will probably be the restrictive side for me.

Yes. You may now design your own banner to march under :smalltongue:

Do we get fancy uniforms as well? :D

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 04:04 PM

Hmm. You'd need to design them too. How you get them made however :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2013-08-02, 04:05 PM
Damn, I really want to get a uniform and flag now.

Flying under the flag of the boar, I think.

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 04:12 PM

Except you're not a member of the UKitP Foreign Legion. And we don't have a UKitP Territorial Legion.

Yet :smalltongue:

lesser_minion
2013-08-02, 04:21 PM
If I order my tickets in time the Eurostar should only cost half as much as it cost me now because I only ordered a day in advance, so that should be reasonably. Amusingly / sadly enough train prices in England will probably be the restrictive side for me.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure there's an EU scheme floating around that allows you to get cheap train travel outside of your home country.

Thufir
2013-08-02, 05:31 PM
Wit? At a meet up? Fat chance. :smalltongue:

Sometimes we say witty things.
Not original witty things, admittedly...

I would definitely like to come to the next meetup because the last one was absolutely lovely. (And hopefully I can drag Dogmantra along this time.)

Yes, that'd be great. Also Dogmantra! Haven't seen that guy in years

The question is, what did you join it to forget?

It's unlikely to be particularly far north... on the other hand I imagine the Swede will be in with offers of lifts soon enough.

I would be interested to come, but only if I'm able to use randman as my shield. Hrmhm. Hmm...

*hides behind corner*

Yesss.

I don't remember us ever specifically thinking of those as possible locations, but I certainly wouldn't mind Bristol. I have a friend there I'd like to see and could possibly drag along.

Qwaz has family in Cardiff, no idea about the other two.

Also, I don't care what the Glaswegian brigade thinks, Leicester is not 'south' England.

Yeah it is.

*waves slowly from five hours journey away from anywhere remotely central*

Only five? Wow. I thought it was at least seven.

I vote sexy uniforms.

Our uniform is waistcoats and hats.

Snowfire
2013-08-02, 05:44 PM

But what type of hats?

FinnLassie
2013-08-02, 05:49 PM
It's unlikely to be particularly far north... on the other hand I imagine the Swede will be in with offers of lifts soon enough.

Yesss.

That would be rather handy, to be honest.

I... I... :smalleek: :eek:
*runs back to her hiding place*

Thufir
2013-08-02, 06:21 PM
But what type of hats?

ALL OF THE HATS.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429454_907639208828_1708128451_n.jpg

CurlyKitGirl
2013-08-02, 07:12 PM
Sometimes we say witty things.
Not original witty things, admittedly...

UKitP XIV: The Playgrounders That Stay Together May Be Convicted of Inciting Nuclear War

UKitP XIV: Ripping Off Witty Ripostes Since 1995

UKitP XIV: May Contain Nuts

UKitP XIV: War Is Just Around the Corner

Only five? Wow. I thought it was at least seven.

Just under five hours to Bristol, another hour and a bit to London. Actually, probably more given Reading's getting some upgrades over the winter.

I vote sexy uniforms.

[...]

Everyone looks good in waistcoats and hats.
Also, sexy and British winter weather do not go together.

KuReshtin
2013-08-02, 07:31 PM
Yeah, a lift would be really handy, so I wouldn't have to drive all the w....aaait a minute.. I'm the Swede!
I guess I'll be offering lifts from around the Glasgow area, as usual, however, if we go for a London meet, I'll not be driving there, but will look for flights down.

However... Glasgow??

FinnLassie
2013-08-02, 07:42 PM
Yeah, a lift would be really handy, so I wouldn't have to drive all the w....aaait a minute.. I'm the Swede!
I guess I'll be offering lifts from around the Glasgow area, as usual, however, if we go for a London meet, I'll not be driving there, but will look for flights down.

However... Glasgow??

*snicker*

Aye, wouldn't dare to demand anyone driving down to London from here.

Hehehe. This would be brilliant. :smallamused:

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-02, 09:45 PM
UKitP XIV: One third of the answer to the ultimate question.

Thufir
2013-08-03, 01:46 AM
Everyone looks good in waistcoats and hats.
Also, sexy and British winter weather do not go together.

Sexy does not have to mean scantily clad. Just something which shall we say accentuates the figure, etc.
I mean, a bunch of uniforms tend to stereotypically be sexy anyway, and they also tend to be practical, so...

factotum
2013-08-03, 02:25 AM
The actual difference in the journey for me to get to Bristol is not far different than it is London (177 for Bristol, 192 for London)...think I'd generally prefer Bristol, though, simply because there's a possibility of actually driving a car in the city, as opposed to London. :smallwink:

lesser_minion
2013-08-03, 04:16 AM
The actual difference in the journey for me to get to Bristol is not far different than it is London (177 for Bristol, 192 for London)...think I'd generally prefer Bristol, though, simply because there's a possibility of actually driving a car in the city, as opposed to London. :smallwink:

Well, of course you can drive a car within the city. It's not like we'll let you park it anywhere! :smalltongue: (actually, there are pay-and-displays, but they aren't particularly cheap).

Thufir
2013-08-03, 07:58 PM
Once more, I encourage people to come see our show (https://www.facebook.com/events/222561031225634/). Details through the link, alternatively two days later in the Pavilion Arts Centre in Buxton 2:30pm Ruddigore, 7:30pm Trial By Jury/The Zoo. Be supportive!

Also earlier Hazyshade tipsily informed me that he has nothing really to do in August, and we should totally arrange some sort of Playgrounder mini-meet or something. I think those two points were connected, though to be fair it's hard to fathom Hazyshade's thought processes even when he's completely sober.

KuReshtin
2013-08-05, 04:37 AM
*snicker*

Aye, wouldn't dare to demand anyone driving down to London from here.

Hehehe. This would be brilliant. :smallamused:

Yeah, driving down to London from Largs is a pain in the backside. I did that drive two years ago, when the national Championships of American Football was held at Crystal Palace (which, for the record, is a complete dump).
Driving down on the Friday took about 9 hours, then two days of pretty much nonstop football action and then driving back up north on the Monday.
Let's just say that I had severe problems walking when we stopped on the way back due to my legs being absolutely knackered.
Don't want to do the 9 hour drive again. And it was a total of over 900 miles round trip, which would cost a hell of a lot more than geting a flight down and renting a car for a day or two.

Capt Spanner
2013-08-05, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I will be attending the next meet, after flaking out of the last one due to rehearsals for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Speaking of which, everyone should go to Edinburgh between 20th and 26th of August to see the show "Titus".

Look forward to seeing you all at the next meet.

factotum
2013-08-05, 04:01 PM
OK, disregard anything I've already posted in this thread...due to problems at work it's unlikely I'm going to be able to afford to attend this meetup, unless it takes place in my living room. I hope things will be better next Summer. :smallfrown:

Aedilred
2013-08-06, 12:37 PM
While driving in Bristol is pretty much the only way to get anywhere I should point out that it is the most congested city in Britain (yup, worse than London) so while you can drive, I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

lesser_minion
2013-08-06, 01:07 PM
While driving in Bristol is pretty much the only way to get anywhere I should point out that it is the most congested city in Britain (yup, worse than London) so while you can drive, I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

Actually, you can get basically anywhere on foot or by bike. Bristol isn't exactly a small city by UK standards, but it's not that big either.

In general, however, you can be sane, you can be a motorist, and you can be a Bristolian -- but you can never be all three.

Archonic Energy
2013-08-06, 02:56 PM
or... there's that little one mile square city.

Lon...
hmmm, it escapes me.
perhaps Westminster :smallamused:

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-06, 04:06 PM
or... there's that little one mile square city.

Lon...
hmmm, it escapes me.
perhaps Westminster :smallamused:

Nope, I think you were closer the first time- I think you must have been thinking of Londonderry... Unfortunately, while it sounds like a wonderful place for a meetup by someone, I don't think we have the requisite boots on the ground to organise anything there.:smalltongue:

Aedilred
2013-08-06, 04:48 PM
Actually, you can get basically anywhere on foot or by bike. Bristol isn't exactly a small city by UK standards, but it's not that big either.

In general, however, you can be sane, you can be a motorist, and you can be a Bristolian -- but you can never be all three.
Well, you can cycle, but the number of hills are daunting. They're bad enough on foot. Walking is an option, normally my preferred one, but the decentralised nature of the centre means it can take a while. As for other forms of public transport, well... I put my apparently lifelong distrust of buses down to having grown up in Bristol.

Thufir
2013-08-06, 07:01 PM
So, at least one more time I must plug Dauntless Theatre's Ruddigore (https://www.facebook.com/events/222561031225634/). Details as on the linked facebook event, or 2 days later in the afternoon at the Pavilion Arts Centre in Buxton for the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival. Quite apart from having me and Grlump in it, this is likely to be one of the best shows you have ever seen. Frankly, I would recommend it just on the basis of one singular scene in act 2, but then the rest of it is all really good as well. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO MISS OUT ON.
Yeah, I'm guessing you probably still will miss out, but I hope you at least feel bad about it.

Ashtagon
2013-08-07, 04:17 AM
Put me down for London.

I have space for one guest to stay a night or two, and I have a large living room suitable for a follow-up gaming session (no more than seven around my dining table).

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-07, 06:12 AM
I vote for anywhere within up to five hours of travel from Milton Keynes, beyond that I'm really not too worried.

Lensman
2013-08-07, 02:06 PM
As for other forms of public transport, well... I put my apparently lifelong distrust of buses down to having grown up in Bristol.

How can you not trust buses? They are gorgeous, cuddly, friendly things, with soft, squidgy wheels, warm seats, and a bright red colour, and they creep up on you when you're not looking and grab you so you can't escape, and they use mind control rays to ensure you travel on them, and they never, ever make you pay them vast sums of money, and they always, without fail, turn up on time, and never in convoy, and they are never too full for you to get on, and the people on the bus are always pleasant and friendly and never scary and... and... and...

... okay, so you're right.

lesser_minion
2013-08-07, 05:31 PM
I put my apparently lifelong distrust of buses down to having grown up in Bristol.

Well, in their defence, the buses in and around Bristol do usually manage to take a real, finite amount of time to get from A to B.

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-07, 07:48 PM
Well, in their defence, the buses in and around Bristol do usually manage to take a real, finite amount of time to get from A to B.

That is, however, something of a minimum expectation- on the grounds that no public transport service has yet managed to operate services of either infinite length or infinite duration, let alone managed to turn a profit in doing so.

Its conversations such as these which make me feel fairly smug about living in Milton Keynes, considering that apart from occasional driver shortages our public transport not only works but works more or less to time, and we have very little problem with congestion (despite getting on for a quarter of a million people living here)

lesser_minion
2013-08-08, 03:26 AM
That is, however, something of a minimum expectation

Well yes, that was the joke. Although an infinite journey time could be interpreted to mean that the bus was cancelled -- the more interesting question is what it means for the journey time not to be a real number.

For the meetup, I don't think there would be much - if any - actual need to use the buses, or to find a parking spot in the centre. Even if there was, buses tend to be significantly better outside of rush hour and weekday lunchtimes.

Aedilred
2013-08-08, 03:39 AM
That is, however, something of a minimum expectation- on the grounds that no public transport service has yet managed to operate services of either infinite length or infinite duration, let alone managed to turn a profit in doing so.

TFL gave it a good go with the Circle line, but they chickened out after only about a hundred and twenty years. It did stop, or pause, perhaps, at night, too, which might count against its challenge for "infinite duration".

Ashtagon
2013-08-08, 04:57 AM
Tokyo's Yamanote line also operates in a loop. Some time in the middle of the last decade they had to ban the annual drinking fest parties that would board the train and stay on it.

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-08, 06:06 AM
TFL gave it a good go with the Circle line, but they chickened out after only about a hundred and twenty years. It did stop, or pause, perhaps, at night, too, which might count against its challenge for "infinite duration".

Vehicles going in for overhaul or general maintenance cut your attempt at infinite duration even shorter.

Aedilred
2013-08-08, 01:09 PM
Vehicles going in for overhaul or general maintenance cut your attempt at infinite duration even shorter.
Ah, but it's the line, not the individual train, that serves as the mode of transport for the purposes of the journey. If the trains get pulled for maintenance at every stop so you have to change, then your journey is still ongoing provided you don't bail out and get a different mode of transport en route (which might be quicker). Since there is no ultimate destination then the journey is indefinitely long. It's only if a whole section of the line gets taken out for maintenance and forces journeys to stop that you actually come to an end. That might have happened a few times; I'm not sure (usually they keep the line operational but close the stations, so the journey is still ongoing). But now it has a final stop, anyway, so it's not in the running any more.

The Succubus
2013-08-20, 06:20 AM
Does anyone have any plans for the extended weekend this week?

Ashtagon
2013-08-20, 06:33 AM

None yet, but I can improvise. Am happy to host an impromptu games day at my place.

Strawberries
2013-08-20, 06:44 AM
I'd ask if I can join, but I'm in Italy this week. :smallfrown:

You guys have fun! :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-20, 06:56 AM

Unfortunately my plans for the bank holiday weekend involve gainful employment... The joys of working in a company that tries to ignore the existence of bank holidays.

Snowfire
2013-08-20, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately my plans for the bank holiday weekend involve gainful employment... The joys of working in a company that tries to ignore the existence of bank holidays.

You should get paid a bit more for it though.

Well...technically.

Castaras
2013-08-20, 07:42 AM
I have things happening this weekend already unfortunately. Seeing parents and having friends coming round to play silly games.

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-20, 08:38 AM
You should get paid a bit more for it though.

Well...technically.

I wish. Contractually they consider bank holidays to be a normal working day, and thus pay at the normal rate.

Snowfire
2013-08-20, 08:42 AM
I wish. Contractually they consider bank holidays to be a normal working day, and thus pay at the normal rate.

Seriously?

Words...they fail.

Aedilred
2013-08-20, 02:25 PM
I've always felt that this should actually be illegal, unless the contract is specifically for weekend and bank holiday work (as with a lot of student workers). Surely it defeats the object of the (statutory) bank holiday if firms can just force employees to work without any bonus for doing so?

Especially given that the minimum holiday allowance is supposed to allow for bank holidays on top.

But for the moment I guess we have to put up with it.

Mercenary Pen
2013-08-20, 02:28 PM
I've always felt that this should actually be illegal, unless the contract is specifically for weekend and bank holiday work (as with a lot of student workers). Surely it defeats the object of the (statutory) bank holiday if firms can just force employees to work without any bonus for doing so?

Especially given that the minimum holiday allowance is supposed to allow for bank holidays on top.

But for the moment I guess we have to put up with it.

Regretably, the people with the money are less enlightened in their outlook than you.

factotum
2013-08-20, 03:56 PM
Surely it defeats the object of the (statutory) bank holiday if firms can just force employees to work without any bonus for doing so?

Bank holidays and weekends are not like they used to be--barely 15 years ago I would go to the Trafford Centre on a bank holiday and the only part of the entire place that would be open was the cinema; nowadays, it's barely different from any other shopping day at the place. The only concession to the holiday at the Morrisons I shop at is that they close a whole 2 hours early (e.g. 7pm as opposed to 9pm). This is a lot more convenient for the people who DON'T work on bank holidays, of course, because they're not stuck in the house watching repeats all day as they used to, but the tradeoff is that a lot more people have to work the holiday.

(Oh, and note--there's actually no legal requirement that people be given the day off on bank holidays, and never has been; it's largely a voluntary thing that most companies give their workers the day off).

Ashtagon
2013-08-21, 12:11 AM
(Oh, and note--there's actually no legal requirement that people be given the day off on bank holidays, and never has been; it's largely a voluntary thing that most companies give their workers the day off).

There is a legal requirement that banks close on the bank holidays. No other business is obliged to close.

Ashtagon
2013-08-21, 09:02 AM
None yet, but I can improvise. Am happy to host an impromptu games day at my place.

Quoting myself... Sunday 25-August, my place 12 till 8. Anyone interested? PM me for directions and/or to confirm interest.

It's provisional at this point, depending on interest.

Aedilred
2013-08-22, 03:26 PM
Sadly I am otherwise busy on Sunday.

Ashtagon
2013-08-24, 10:03 AM
Quoting myself... Sunday 25-August, my place 12 till 8. Anyone interested? PM me for directions and/or to confirm interest.

It's provisional at this point, depending on interest.

Still quoting myself.

This event is ON. And it's tomorrow. I have people from outside gitp who have confirmed intention to come.

Thufir
2013-09-06, 12:34 PM
So, let's talk main meetup. Dates, locations, etc.

Locations mentioned thus far (And people residing there who could organise):
Leicester again (Cassie)
London again (Archie/Succubus/Ashtagon/possibly others)
Bristol (Lesser Minion)
Exeter (Devmaar)

Dates-wise, December has been standard but of course it's not compulsory, and anywhere from December to February is possible. I'm feeling lazy at the moment, but if no-one's drawn up a table by the time I stop, I'll do it.

Castaras
2013-09-06, 12:50 PM
{table=header]Name|23/11/13|30/11/13|7/12/13|14/12/13|21/12/13|28/12/13|4/1/14|11/1/14|18/1/14|25/1/14|1/2/14|8/2/14|15/2/14|22/2/14
Castaras|yes|yes|yes|yes|no|no|no|no|no|no|no|mayb e|maybe|maybe[/table]

Beepboop.

Astrella
2013-09-06, 02:25 PM
I'm fine with any destination as long as it's not an unreasonable amount of distance from London.

Time wise, I'll be occupied with exams end of December till end of January so I'd prefer it not being then? Though it could be managed.

Strawberries
2013-09-06, 03:07 PM
I'm fine with any destination as well! For now our situation is:

{table=header]Name|23/11/13|30/11/13|7/12/13|14/12/13|21/12/13|28/12/13|4/1/14|11/1/14|18/1/14|25/1/14|1/2/14|8/2/14|15/2/14|22/2/14
Castaras|yes|yes|yes|yes|no|no|no|no|no|no|no|mayb e|maybe|maybe
Strawberries and Cream|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|no|no|no|no|maybe|ma ybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe[/table]

With those "maybe" most probably meaning "yes", just depending on how work is.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-06, 03:15 PM
Hey, dudes and dudettes, can we spoiler the table to avoid screen stretching?

Just quote this post and fill in a row, I've added fifteen blank rows. Add more when the time comes.

Strawberries and Cream|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|no|no|no|no|maybe|ma ybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe
Curly|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|N|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y
[Name]|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?
[Name]|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?[/table]

FinnLassie
2013-09-06, 03:41 PM
Strawberries and Cream|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|no|no|no|no|maybe|ma ybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe
FinnLassie|Nay|Nay|Nay|Aye|Aye|Nay|Nay|Nay|Nay|Nay |Nay|Nay|Nay|Nay

Good heavens, what am I getting myself into.

Astrella
2013-09-06, 04:35 PM
Astrella|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|M aybe|Maybe|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes

Snowfire
2013-09-06, 05:20 PM
Snowfire|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|No|No|Maybe|Maybe |Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe

The mass of maybe is a result of me not knowing if work will materialise - and how much any that does might try to eat my life.

Lix Lorn
2013-09-06, 06:19 PM
The mass of maybe is a result of me not knowing if work will materialise - and how much any that does might try to eat my life.
You need to turn up, I have an argument to win. :smalltongue:

Snowfire|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|No|No|Maybe|Maybe |Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe
Lixie|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes? |Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?|Yes?

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-06, 07:01 PM
Well updated, though I can't promise definite attendance without definite dates, because other people might get booked for time off on those dates first- and working in a convenience store, time off over Christmas and New Year is less likely than the invasion of London by Zeppelins full of fire elementals...

Mercenary Pen|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|No chance|No chance|No Chance|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe

Snowfire
2013-09-07, 03:47 AM
You need to turn up, I have an argument to flail ineffectively at you. :smalltongue:

Ftfy :smalltongue:

Well updated, though I can't promise definite attendance without definite dates, because other people might get booked for time off on those dates first- and working in a convenience store, time off over Christmas and New Year is less likely than the invasion of London by Zeppelins full of fire elementals...

Does it have to be fire elementals? See, I can get Zeppelins and another type of elemental, but fire elementals are somewhat harder. Something about a plane called Eberron...

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-07, 08:02 AM
Ftfy :smalltongue:

Does it have to be fire elementals? See, I can get Zeppelins and another type of elemental, but fire elementals are somewhat harder. Something about a plane called Eberron...

Be grateful that I didn't insist on Zeppelins full of Stone Golems or water elementals...

Ashtagon
2013-09-07, 11:23 AM
I'm fine with any destination, any date, as long as it is London.

Thufir
2013-09-07, 07:34 PM
Mercenary Pen|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|No chance|No chance|No Chance|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe
Thufir|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y

As far as I know - though one reason for wanting to get this sorted is that things may be coming up in some of those times, and I want to know when the meetup is so I can not be doing anything else then.

I'm fine with any destination, any date, as long as it is London.

What's that? You think the meetup should be in the North? Well, that's very magnanimous of you. :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2013-09-08, 01:30 PM
Also, if it's London, I have a spare room if anyone needs to stay in London overnight, and I have a decent sized living room if we want to run games or something at my hovel.

lesser_minion
2013-09-08, 02:12 PM
I should be good with pretty much wherever. I've put maybes across the board for date -- I should be OK whenever, but I'd prefer to use up some holiday if I can, which I'm pretty sure means that before mid-December would be preferable.

lessie|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|M aybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe

randman22222
2013-09-08, 03:24 PM
Oooh a table!

lessie|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|M aybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe
rand|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|May be|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybe|Maybenolongerlook slikeaword

Lix Lorn
2013-09-08, 05:16 PM
So far, no-one has said no to december 14th.

FinnLassie
2013-09-08, 06:16 PM
Yees, yees, 14th December... :smallbiggrin: One of the only two days I can make. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2013-09-09, 03:33 AM
So, December the 14th.

If people could suggest a list of places, we can poll the best place and then whoever's there can get booking. :smallbiggrin:

leicester

Ashtagon
2013-09-09, 05:46 AM
So, December the 14th.

If people could suggest a list of places, we can poll the best place and then whoever's there can get booking. :smallbiggrin:

May I suggest London? :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2013-09-09, 05:49 AM
So, December the 14th.

leicester

Depending on the current cash situation at that point, I should hopefully be able to make Dec 14th.

I suggest Leicester!

May I suggest London? :smallamused:

No. No, you may not. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-09, 05:51 AM
Hmm, graduation year, moving out onto my own, and a bunch of other stuff..chances are small...but that small chance is still suggesting london.:smalltongue:

Dibs on being in this.

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 06:10 AM
I suppose I'll be joining the club of "people who come to meet ups from Scotland but aren't even Scottish"... *rolls eyes* :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2013-09-09, 06:13 AM
I like smilies.

:smallbiggrin: Hell yes
:smallsmile: Yes
:smallannoyed: Maybe
:smallfrown: No
:smallfurious: Hell no

{table=header]|{colsp=6}2013|{colsp=8}2014
|{colsp=2}November|{colsp=4}December|{colsp=4}Janu ary|{colsp=4}February
Name|23|30|7|14|21|28|4|11|18|25|1|8|15|22
Castaras|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:s mallsmile:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:| :smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown :|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:
Strawberries and Cream|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed: |:smallannoyed:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfr own:|:smallfrown:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:s mallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smalla nnoyed:
Curly|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smal lsmile:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:sm allsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|: smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:
FinnLassie|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:| :smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown :|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfro wn:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:
Astrella|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:s mallsmile:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallann oyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed: |:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmil e:
Snowfire|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoy ed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallfrown:|:smallfrown:|:smal lannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallanno yed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:| :smallannoyed:
Lixie|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smal lsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:sm allsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|: smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:
Mercenary Pen|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|: smallannoyed:|:smallfurious:|:smallfurious:|:small furious:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoy ed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|: smallannoyed:
Thufir|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:sma llsmile:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoy ed:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smalls mile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:
lessie|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed :|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:sm allannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallan noyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed :|:smallannoyed:
rand|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:| :smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smal lannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallanno yed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:|:smallannoyed:| :smallannoyed:
Ashtagon|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:s mallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallfurious:|:smallsmile :|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmi le:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:|:smallsmile:

btw, booking anything in December is going to be almost impossible, due to the unending cavalcade of office Christmas parties going on that month. For that reason, if we are planning on booking a venue (as opposed to it being at someone's house), I'd strongly suggest January.

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 07:47 AM
Leicester or London are both pretty much fine with me. One's cheaper to fly to, but accomodation will almost definitely cost more for that one. Hilariously, I can't actually book train tickets for December yet from Burmingham to Leicester, but it looks like travel by air and then train would come out within my ability to pay.

So either-or. The one that wins in my mind will probably be the one that is easier to get a venue for.

If we do choose December though (and need to book a venue) I'd really heavily push booking it in the next few weeks. That way we might have a chance at getting one.

Maybe.

I suppose I'll be joining the club of "people who come to meet ups from Scotland but aren't even Scottish"... *rolls eyes* :smalltongue:

Also, am I the only person who comes from Scotland for these who is Scottish?

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-09, 08:08 AM

I think Dvil both Scottish and lives in Scotland, he attends meetups; but they are in the minority when it comes to regular attendees. Don't know why that is, it's just one of those things.
Most attendees come from the North anywhere. And Up North, which are two different things.

KuReshtin
2013-09-09, 09:35 AM

I believe that at the moment, the ratio of non-Scottish persons to Scottish persons that have attended UKitP meetups from Scotland is sitting at about 6-2.

Non-Scots attendees from Scotland:
KuReshtin - Swedish (that'd be me)
randman - American
Henrik - Danish (Only made the one meetup in Leeds)*
K-H - Swedish (Only made one of the meetups in Birmingham, I think)*
Mikael - Swedish (Only made the one meetup in Newcastle)*
Irbis - Polish

Scots attendees from Scotland:
SnowFire
Dvil

Attendees that have got a lift with Kureshtin from Scotland to Englandshire:
All of the above

* Colleagues of KuReshtin

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 10:30 AM
I think Dvil both Scottish and lives in Scotland

Nah, Dvil is English, but does live in Scotland.

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 10:34 AM

I feel so alone :smalleek:

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 10:47 AM

I feel so alone :smalleek:

It's ok, everyone thinks I'm Scottish, so you can pretend that I'm one. :smallwink: :smalltongue:
the amount of times I had to prove I'm Finnish...

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 10:51 AM
It's ok, everyone thinks I'm Scottish, so you can pretend that I'm one. :smallwink: :smalltongue:
the amount of times I had to prove I'm Finnish...

YAY! *proceeds to initiate desperate glomping* :smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 10:53 AM
YAY! *proceeds to initiate desperate glomping* :smalltongue:

ACK! No touching! :smalleek: *hides behind corner*

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 10:58 AM
How do you hide behind a corner? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 11:19 AM
How do you hide behind a corner? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

Easily. I'm here, hiding. :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 11:20 AM
Easily. I'm here, hiding. :smalltongue:

Except...corners are a really bad place to hide behind. As you can get sneaked up on.

*taps on shoulder*

Like so :smalltongue:

Thufir
2013-09-09, 11:34 AM
So, December the 14th.

leicester

Leicester
London

Minion mentioned Bristol, but he'd have to organise it if it's to be there. Simialrly for Devmaar and Exeter. So, much as I love taking the meetups to new places, Leicester and London are probably our options.
Though Bristol at some point would definitely be cool.

btw, booking anything in December is going to be almost impossible, due to the unending cavalcade of office Christmas parties going on that month. For that reason, if we are planning on booking a venue (as opposed to it being at someone's house), I'd strongly suggest January.

We've had several meetups in December before, with venues.
Of course it has helped that some of them were in university rooms, which generally don't get booked up for those sorts of things, but regardless, we've managed. Of course the 'university rooms' element could in this light be seen as a positive for Leicester...

Even you're half Troglandish.

I think Dvil both Scottish and lives in Scotland, he attends meetups;

Nah, as mentioned, he's English. Comes from Durham.

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 12:35 PM
In terms of the time for meetup: I would be glad to join a meetup in January if I didn't have my placement from hell for 6 to 7 weeks beginning on the 6th. :smallannoyed: :smallannoyed: :smallsigh: :smallmad:

Except...corners are a really bad place to hide behind. As you can get sneaked up on.

*taps on shoulder*

Like so :smalltongue:

Noooooo! No no no no no! No touching!

As a general note, I'm not good with the whole physical contact things. Takes a little while with new people. Reason why It'd be more likely for me to join the meetup if I'm able to hide behind Randman. :smalleek:

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 12:36 PM
Noooooo! No no no no no! No touching!

As a general note, I'm not good with the whole physical contact things. Takes a little while with new people. Reason why It'd be more likely for me to join the meetup if I'm able to hide behind Randman. :smalleek:

I guessed, and I don't actually hug unless asked to. And yet somehow I spend a lot of time hugging people...:smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2013-09-09, 01:58 PM

D'Oh! Of course he is.. I must be thinking of someone else.
I'm sure there was one more guy that I gave a lift to that was Scottish. It was at the Birmingham meetup where K-H was at as well, as we picked him up at the train station in Glasgow. Need to dig through the meet-thread to see who it was.

Edit: Kantur! That's the one. Kantur is Scottish and stays in Scotland (at least he did in 2008, and I gave him a lift to Birmingham.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-09, 02:06 PM
I'm enchanted by the fact that we have a regular Scottish contingent, to the point where it has a name, but we don't seem to have any actual Scottish people (as in: born and live there, or has lived there for at least half their life) in the Scottish contingent. Except maybe one, once. Perhaps.
That's really special.

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 02:37 PM
I'm enchanted by the fact that we have a regular Scottish contingent, to the point where it has a name, but we don't seem to have any actual Scottish people (as in: born and live there, or has lived there for at least half their life) in the Scottish contingent. Except maybe one, once. Perhaps.
That's really special.

I was born and raised in Scotland and still live there. Sorry :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2013-09-09, 02:39 PM
ACK! No touching! :smalleek: *hides behind corner*
(points at her location)
>: (

Leicester or London are both pretty much fine with me.
Same. London is real close, and Leicester has my corner! :smalltongue:

Castaras
2013-09-09, 02:48 PM
Same. London is real close, and Leicester has my corner! :smalltongue:

... not for much longer. :smallfrown: Speekeasy just celebrated its first birthday, but is closing. :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 03:26 PM
(points at her location)
>: (

The corner I reside in is completely virtual though!

*pats on head*

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 03:29 PM
The corner I reside in is completely virtual though!

*pats on head*

Virtual corners do have the problem of susceptibility to viruses however...

Lix Lorn
2013-09-09, 04:13 PM
... not for much longer. :smallfrown: Speekeasy just celebrated its first birthday, but is closing. :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:
(weeps)

FinnLassie
2013-09-09, 04:56 PM
Virtual corners do have the problem of susceptibility to viruses however...

They have to go through the owner of this specific corner first, though, before they can get to me. And Amidus' brain is a big mess to get through. :smallbiggrin:

Snowfire
2013-09-09, 05:26 PM
They have to go through the owner of this specific corner first, though, before they can get to me. And Amidus' brain is a big mess to get through. :smallbiggrin:

A big mess is fun. You know why? Because it can be made bigger :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2013-09-10, 02:44 AM

Was that the place with the cool cocktails and games?

Castaras
2013-09-10, 03:40 AM
Was that the place with the cool cocktails and games?

Yeah. The place upstairs from the italian we went to.

Archonic Energy
2013-09-10, 05:21 AM
awww. :smallfrown:
that place is/was cool.

i wonder if i can find a gamers bar in London... and not that one we went to last time... that was clearly just a pub.

edit:
http://loadingonline.co.uk/venue/
I dunno... *sprays lynx across chest* pub? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KO4C3dMTjc4#t=13) :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 05:44 AM
edit:
http://loadingonline.co.uk/venue/
i dunno... *sprays lynx across chest* pub? :smallamused:

Oh, hell yes!

edit: Well, apart from it being in London, obviously.

Snowfire
2013-09-10, 06:04 AM
So it seems that we've got a date that seems like it'll work for all involved, that being December 14th, but two different places being tossed about as possibles.

So, with that said, I think we need some:

Location, location, location

London will have more in the way of places that we can take over for the day - although that will get hampered by the proximity to Christmas. Larger amount of places contrasted by larger amount of people, combined with the insanity of seasonal work parties and related events. If we're planning on going here we probably want to get things set up for it in the next month. And then, of course, there's the fact that it's London - which seems to bring a whole new level of insanity into the mix from what people are saying.

Leicester seems to have had a place, but that place is now (:smallfrown::smallfrown:) closing. Considering that that's been said now, I think I can say that it's not going to be around for December. So what other options do we have there? I'm sure there must be others (university rooms through GameSoc connections maybe?) but I'm a little bad on the areas people are in except for those who keep on repeating it :smallredface:

Thoughts/Suggestions all needed.

Please? :smalltongue:

Castaras
2013-09-10, 06:07 AM
Well, the speekeasy closing was only a friday evening event thing. university rooms should still be available (I can confirm in a sec. And as president of gamesoc, I can do all the booking easily). And this time, I should be able to have a couple of people sleep on the floor of my house (and some on the beds as well!) provided the boyfriend is okay with it.

KuReshtin
2013-09-10, 06:40 AM
Well, the speekeasy closing was only a friday evening event thing. university rooms should still be available (I can confirm in a sec. And as president of gamesoc, I can do all the booking easily). And this time, I should be able to have a couple of people sleep on the floor of my house (and some on the beds as well!) provided the boyfriend is okay with it.

I have been known to sleep under tables.

Leicester, Leicester, Leicester, Leicester, Leicester, Leicester!

Snowfire
2013-09-10, 06:49 AM
Yes Ku, we get it :smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2013-09-10, 06:57 AM
A big mess is fun. You know why? Because it can be made bigger :smallamused:

But... But... Noooo! :smalleek: No need to make a bigger mess, now! :smalltongue:

In terms of location... Well, it's going to be down south anyways, so, meh. :smallcool:

Ashtagon
2013-09-10, 06:59 AM
If it's Leicester, I can't make it. I simply don't have spare money for train fares on top of the inevitable Christmas presents I'll be expected to buy for family.

Archonic Energy
2013-09-10, 07:34 AM
So it seems that we've got a date that seems like it'll work for all involved, that being December 14th, but two different places being tossed about as possibles.

So, with that said, I think we need some:

Location, location, location

London will have more in the way of places that we can take over for the day - although that will get hampered by the proximity to Christmas. Larger amount of places contrasted by larger amount of people, combined with the insanity of seasonal work parties and related events. If we're planning on going here we probably want to get things set up for it in the next month. And then, of course, there's the fact that it's London - which seems to bring a whole new level of insanity into the mix from what people are saying.

on the theoretical London meet:
that would really only be a problem on thursday/friday because that's when most office dos are. the weekend wouldn't be as bad though you have the normal crowds...
we would need a boozer or a hall, and that would add cost. probably to the point that there'd be a charge for the first time in a while.
there are plenty of hotels in London so accom wouldn't be a problem. hell, i'd probably even stay in a hotel to keep with everyone.

On the theoretical Leicester meet:
didn't we say the south for winter meets? :smallamused:
isn't there a title we need to maintain?

on the theoretical Glasgow meet:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha. :smallbiggrin:

lesser_minion
2013-09-10, 10:42 AM
didn't we say the south for winter meets? :smallamused:

Eh... Bristol is south, but if that thing about it being one of the sunniest cities in Britain is true, then it makes sense for everyone to visit in the summer in order to make the most of it.

Also, Leicester is south if you count Scotland.

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-10, 01:02 PM

Also a title to get rid of, and a wooden spoon to re-enter circulation (also potentially quiz questions for us to generate)

Castaras
2013-09-10, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reminder on that.

*notes down for meeting coming up at gaming society*

Capt Spanner
2013-09-10, 05:21 PM
I've noticed the pub opposite Waterloo has rooms that can be booked out.

I may go and ask them about it.

Castaras
2013-09-11, 07:47 AM
Look what I found. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdaPikrSFw0)

This, I believe, was London 2010.

Aedilred
2013-09-11, 09:04 AM
Eh... Bristol is south, but if that thing about it being one of the sunniest cities in Britain is true...
I can't believe that. The golden summer of 1995 aside, my memories of Bristol are of near-constant rain.

Admittedly, this might be affected by having lived largely in cities where it rains infrequently if at all since I left there.

Thufir
2013-09-11, 10:59 AM
Eh... Bristol is south, but if that thing about it being one of the sunniest cities in Britain is true, then it makes sense for everyone to visit in the summer in order to make the most of it.

True, but we also talked about how we should have the more northerly meetups in the summer so it won't be freezing, and keep the south for the winter because it won't be as cold as the north.

Yes, it was. My second meetup. Good times. I remember that game of Nuclear War with fondness.

KuReshtin
2013-09-11, 12:50 PM

I see your video clip and counter with the one taken by Archie in the video you posted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj61txFNejQ)

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-11, 04:03 PM
And I was just standing there, taking pictures.:smallsigh:

Aedilred
2013-09-12, 03:07 AM
True, but we also talked about how we should have the more northerly meetups in the summer so it won't be freezing, and keep the south for the winter because it won't be as cold as the north.

You know it's a UK meetup when discussion over location is not "where's nicest at this time of year?" but "how can we ensure that the weather at all our gatherings is at worst equally miserable?"

FinnLassie
2013-09-12, 03:57 AM
There'll only be sunshine when I'm around. :smallwink:
Lies and slander! LIES AND SLANDER! Bad weather follows her!

Aedilred
2013-09-12, 07:12 AM
There'll only be sunshine when I'm around.
Sunshine in Scotland? I'll believe that when I see it.

(I tell a lie; I got some of the worst sunburn of my life in Scotland. But that was basically my own fault).

Dr. Bath
2013-09-12, 08:29 AM

Oh nooo! The back of my head! I forgot I was there.

FinnLassie
2013-09-12, 11:10 AM
Sunshine in Scotland? I'll believe that when I see it.

(I tell a lie; I got some of the worst sunburn of my life in Scotland. But that was basically my own fault).

Apparently at least Glasgow experienced a shocking two or three weeks of extremely hot weather and lots of sun... And it all ended when I got myself back down here. :smalltongue:

I think it's easy to get a sunburn in Scotland, because you're not really prepared to get a blast of sunshine all of a sudden... I have to wear sunblock even when it's cloudy as I've managed to get a sunburn that way too. :smallsigh:

Snowfire
2013-09-12, 11:22 AM
Apparently at least Glasgow experienced a shocking two or three weeks of extremely hot weather and lots of sun... And it all ended when I got myself back down here. :smalltongue:

I think it's easy to get a sunburn in Scotland, because you're not really prepared to get a blast of sunshine all of a sudden... I have to wear sunblock even when it's cloudy as I've managed to get a sunburn that way too. :smallsigh:

A lot of Scots also have the problem of not being properly adapted to high intensity sunlight and heat. Our ethnic colouring is part of that too, of which I'm pretty much a perfect example.

Red hair, blue eyes, very pale.

My skin doesn't like the sun...

FinnLassie
2013-09-12, 11:33 AM
A lot of Scots also have the problem of not being properly adapted to high intensity sunlight and heat. Our ethnic colouring is part of that too, of which I'm pretty much a perfect example.

Red hair, blue eyes, very pale.

My skin doesn't like the sun...

Myeah, same goes for Finland, although we do have relatively hot summers from time to time. Most of my friends just die whenever the temperature climbs above 25°C, though, including me. I wear sunglasses nearly all year round too. Bleh.

More like brown hair to my observations. :smallwink: Although, red hair is a much more commonly found thing than in Finland. My mum's a ginger so I inherited her complexion, and with it the inability to do else than get a burnt skin. :smallsigh: Not that I really mind though. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2013-09-12, 12:44 PM

Yes, you were. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pm7cTm_6qg)

Thufir
2013-09-12, 12:56 PM

I have to know - did anyone else watch this, waiting on tenterhooks throughout, hoping to hear the phrase "my most COMMANDEROUS VOICE" ?

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-12, 01:58 PM
You know it's a UK meetup when discussion over location is not "where's nicest at this time of year?" but "how can we ensure that the weather at all our gatherings is at worst equally miserable?"

Britain: we aim for equal opportunity misery for all the lower classes and peons!
We brought in that motive/rule after the Sheffield meetup. I think. The weather was fairly extreme.
You know it's a UK meetup when we mostly refer to the meetup by the weather we encountered.
Peterborough was very wet, f'r'instance. And Fifty-Fred-who-isn't-Fred and I had to walk to the Premier Inn from . . . the train station I think. Our reasoning was that it didn't seem very far away. However, the Peterborough Meetup is mostly known for:
"We should eat something."
"Yeah, we should eat something."
[four hours later, and many repeats of the conversation later]
"So, Italian then. And we're leaving now."
"Yes."
"Great!"

You should be at meetups more often! You should be here more often!
Don't make me frown at you now, my dear pelican.

I have to know - did anyone else watch this, waiting on tenterhooks throughout, hoping to hear the phrase "my most COMMANDEROUS VOICE" ?

:biggrin:
The MOST COMMANDEROUS VOICE!!1!! has followed him (and meetups) ever since, though it has tailed off recently. I move we resurrect it.

Dr. Bath
2013-09-13, 04:11 AM

Oh how embarrassing I hates my voice and also face.

You should be at meetups more often! You should be here more often!
Don't make me frown at you now, my dear pelican.

Yeah maybe! To both. Problem is the summer meetup is always on my mum's birthday and mums never forget, never forgive. I might see about this next one, depends where it is though. I am but a poor unemployéd man now so it severely depends on whether or not I can find some kind of jorb.

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-13, 09:22 AM
So I forgot, why don't we host it in Dordrecht? Good venues, good access, lots of cookies....

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-13, 10:08 AM
So I forgot, why don't we host it in Dordrecht? Good venues, good access, lots of cookies....

We''re all cheapskates who can't afford inter-continental travel? Wait . . . we're all cheapskates who can't afford international travel? Because if we did it'd have to be in summer because a lot of us work or attend school, and a three day trip to the mainland is a lot?
Because ultimately we're Britcentric narcissists who forget that there's an entire continent (of which we're a part, but damned if we'll call it 'the Continent', 'the mainland' and the like) across the Channel.

Thufir
2013-09-13, 11:21 AM
Also because it's the UK meetup, not the Dutch meetup. There's nothing stopping us potentially attending the Dutch meetup, of course, if there's ever another one. Well, other than the aforementioned cheapskatedness.

Castaras
2013-09-14, 04:30 AM
So at the moment the places I've seen mentioned for consideration are:

Leicester
London
Glasgow
Bristol
Netherlands
Antarctica

Put it to a vote, unless some last minute people come up with ideas?

lesser_minion
2013-09-14, 06:05 AM
Well, I like polar bears, so I vote Antarctica. I mean, it's not like Antarctica is basically Greek for "the land of no bears" or anything, is it?

On a more serious yet somehow probably funnier note, I think Leicester is a good choice.

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-14, 06:33 AM
Everybody gets three votes,(So that people can vote for locations that are ok for them. So that if a location is ok for a lot of people can still win from a location that is excellent for a couple of people.)

{table=head]location | votes
Leicester |
London|1
Glasgow|
Bristol|
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|
[/table]

Sounds like a idea, no?

FinnLassie
2013-09-14, 06:51 AM
Well, I like polar bears, so I vote Antarctica.

But, but, there's no polar bears in Antarctica!

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-14, 06:54 AM
But, but, there's no polar bears in Antarctica!

Precisely, he likes them enough to respect their desire for personal space...:smalltongue:

FinnLassie
2013-09-14, 07:00 AM
Precisely, he likes them enough to respect their desire for personal space...:smalltongue:

*reads lesser's post again about 15 times*

I have no brain.

*adds to checklist: obtain brain*
¬_¬

Snowfire
2013-09-14, 07:02 AM
*reads lesser's post again about 15 times*

I have no brain.

*adds to checklist: obtain brain*
¬_¬

I can set you up with a brain if you want. Obtained second-hand, I'll admit, but it's a good buy!

FinnLassie
2013-09-14, 07:05 AM
I can set you up with a brain if you want. Obtained second-hand, I'll admit, but it's a good buy!

What sort of second hand are we talking about? Proper vintage or scruffy hand-me-downs?

Snowfire
2013-09-14, 07:11 AM
What sort of second hand are we talking about? Proper vintage or scruffy hand-me-downs?

Proper vintage, of course! I am shocked, shocked, by your implication that I would sell anything but good vintage stock.

FinnLassie
2013-09-14, 07:16 AM
Oh, shoot, right, meeting place. I'm cool with whatever, lectures have ended at that point (if we're talking about the 14th, that is) and I only have to be back in Glasgow by the 16th, so extra bit of travelling won't kill me. :smalltongue: Black Sabbaaaath :smallcool:

Proper vintage, of course! I am shocked, shocked, by your implication that I would sell anything but good vintage stock.

Hey, it's better to make sure! Besides, there's people who call utter rubbish vintage, which is even more of a disgrace. Would mind my enquiries over what sort of brains you have in stock?

The Succubus
2013-09-14, 07:22 AM
Leicester |
London|2
Glasgow|1
Bristol|
Netherlands|2
Antarctica| 1
[/table]

Castaras
2013-09-14, 08:07 AM
Leicester | 1
London|3
Glasgow|1
Bristol|1
Netherlands|2
Antarctica| 1
[/table]

Snowfire
2013-09-14, 08:12 AM
{table=head]location|votes
Leicester|3
London|3
Glasgow|2
Bristol|1
Netherlands|2
Antarctica| 1
[/table]

Lix Lorn
2013-09-14, 01:08 PM
Leicester|4
London|6
Glasgow|2
Bristol|1
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

London, or Leicester.

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-14, 06:45 PM
Leicester|5
London|8
Glasgow|2
Bristol|1
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Just adding my 2cp (and only 2 votes since I'm not certain whether Bristol or Glasgow would be more convenient for me yet)

lesser_minion
2013-09-15, 03:47 AM
Leicester|6
London|9
Glasgow|2
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Normally, I wouldn't vote London, but it is at least reasonably close by.

Thufir
2013-09-15, 02:09 PM
I'm not voting yet, I am here for an entirely different reason.

As usual, I'm doing a show, blah blah. It's The Mikado, I'm playing Pooh-Bah. I can't say it'll be one of the best shows I've ever done, but I will, as always, be fantastic, as will my friends in other principal roles, and our director is also very good so it should actually come out as a rather good production. So if anyone is in the northeast or really wants to see me play Pooh-Bah and is willing to travel* it's on the 9th to the 12th of October. If anyone is interested, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know somewhat in advance.

*Koorly said something about tentatively checking train prices when I mentioned it in RB, though I imagine a train from Penzance to Newcastle might be prohibitively expensive, while a coach would require being up excessively early and take pretty much all day. I'd love to see you though if either of those is OK by you!

Strawberries
2013-09-16, 02:08 AM
Leicester|7
London|10
Glasgow|2
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Leicester and London. Though I'm tempted to go for Antartica. :smallamused:

FinnLassie
2013-09-16, 03:43 AM
Leicester|7
London|12
Glasgow|3
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Glasgow needs some of that lovin'.

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-16, 05:08 AM
Yet your primary vote still goes towards London.:smallamused:

FinnLassie
2013-09-16, 05:10 AM
Yet your primary vote still goes towards London.:smallamused:

Hey, I'm not getting any high hopes for Glasgow, and I don't want Glasgow to accidentally think that I love it. :smalltongue:

Beacon of Chaos
2013-09-16, 07:21 AM
Leicester|7
London|13
Glasgow|3
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]
One more for London.

Ashtagon
2013-09-16, 07:41 AM
Should we start thinking about specific venues in London?

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-16, 07:44 AM
Should we start thinking about specific venues in London?

I'd say so, even if only in the hypothetical sense... Having information available is much better than being caught flat-footed when the decision comes down...

Castaras
2013-09-16, 07:47 AM
Well at the moment London is clearly winning, so definitely take a look at venues. The cheaper the better - free if at all possible.

Thufir
2013-09-17, 10:15 PM
I'd say so, even if only in the hypothetical sense... Having information available is much better than being caught flat-footed when the decision comes down...

And we don't want a repeat of the last time we put the meetup location to a vote...

Strawberries
2013-09-18, 12:24 AM
And we don't want a repeat of the last time we put the meetup location to a vote...

What happened last time we put the location to a vote?

KuReshtin
2013-09-18, 05:20 AM

We ended up with the meet in London...:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

hamishspence
2013-09-18, 06:04 AM
Add my vote to Leicester.

Snowfire
2013-09-18, 08:56 AM
Leicester|10
London|13
Glasgow|3
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Current tally with Hamish's vote added.

Thufir
2013-09-18, 11:32 AM

The meetup didn't happen.

Admittedly, looking back, it seems I was mis-remembering a bit - Charity did actually look at some potential venues, though not until the meetup date was getting relatively close, and then after that it was sort of cancelled because everyone was dropping out and there was talk of rescheduling it but that never happened.
Regardless, if a venue had been confirmed, and preferably confirmed a decent time in advance I'm pretty sure some people would've turned up, instead of just Archie going for a visit.

Archonic Energy
2013-09-18, 12:48 PM
The meetup didn't happen.

HEY! I was there! :smallmad:

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-18, 01:25 PM
Archie, just because you brought your minions and other personalities, does not mean it was a meet-up...

Castaras
2013-09-20, 08:00 AM
Hright, so it looks like most want it to be London, and date wise it's tentatively the 14th December.

Spanner, Ash, Archie, Succubus, venture forth and find us a place to go invade!

And on another note:

Those of you who were at the Leicester meet up, you may remember the quiz that went on. We're going to need questions from you guys, seeing as you won. :smalltongue: Send me a load and I'll pass 'em on to our organisers. :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2013-09-20, 08:46 AM
Question The First: Where did I put my front door keys?

Thufir
2013-09-20, 09:20 AM
What have I got in my pockets?

Edit: Damn ninja Bagginses, we hates it forever!

Although, technically, only some of us won. Can't remember who was on the winning team.

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-20, 09:23 AM
As a pirate, I have to add to the current trend, with a pirate related question: What do keys do?

Archonic Energy
2013-09-20, 09:55 AM
What have I got in my pockets?

Edit: Damn ninja Bagginses, we hates it forever!

Although, technically, only some of us won. Can't remember who was on the winning team.

the ones with the mugs to prove it...

question the third: how many GItP forumites does it take to beat SABRES?

as for space, lots. as much as we can.
20+ or so gamers, over 100 games, about 10 hours, RPG sessions. ideally we are looking at somewhere we can get food and drink onsite or extremely close by like a pub's function room or a similar space with several large tables.

Leicester|13
London|13
Glasgow|3
Bristol|2
Netherlands|2
Antarctica|2
[/table]

Current tally with Archie's vote added.

London meets are expensive. i'd rather somewhere we can get free uni rooms and cheap beer.

hamishspence
2013-09-20, 10:00 AM
What was the Witch King of Angmar's personal name, in the old Iron Crown Enterprises roleplaying game?

Archonic Energy
2013-09-20, 10:31 AM
On the other hand, more of our compatriots from the Playground defeated the Leicester Sabres into first place in the quiz - congratulations to the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy Dropouts!

damn, no mention of the names...

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-20, 07:16 PM
Hright, so it looks like most want it to be London, and date wise it's tentatively the 14th December.

Spanner, Ash, Archie, Succubus, venture forth and find us a place to go invade!

And on another note:

Those of you who were at the Leicester meet up, you may remember the quiz that went on. We're going to need questions from you guys, seeing as you won. :smalltongue: Send me a load and I'll pass 'em on to our organisers. :smallbiggrin:

Check your inbox for the ones I've devised thus far...

lesser_minion
2013-09-22, 10:40 AM
Check your inbox for the ones I've devised thus far...

Same here. Although I'm worried that half the questions I suggested are too obscure and the other half are too obvious. I suggested questions about at least three indie video games, for example.

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-22, 01:46 PM
Same here. Although I'm worried that half the questions I suggested are too obscure and the other half are too obvious. I suggested questions about at least three indie video games, for example.

I've done partial sections for books and animation so far- as well as a tie-breaker that I think will suit (including both really obvious answers and some really obscure ones)

lesser_minion
2013-09-22, 03:22 PM
I've done partial sections for books and animation so far- as well as a tie-breaker that I think will suit (including both really obvious answers and some really obscure ones)

I did mainly webcomic and video game questions. I can probably dredge up some more video game questions, but I'm not so sure about webcomic questions (I don't really want to do more than one question per comic).

EDIT: Eight more videogame questions sent. It'll be interesting to see which of these get answered correctly.

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-22, 04:50 PM
I did mainly webcomic and video game questions. I can probably dredge up some more video game questions, but I'm not so sure about webcomic questions (I don't really want to do more than one question per comic).

I agree about not too many questions on the same topic- the most I theoretically allowed myself on the same topic was two questions, and I didn't actually need to use that allowance... I even managed to fit in a few questions about non-Japanese animation in the animation section, and considering how much anime I watch relative to american or UK produced animation, that's saying an awful lot.

lesser_minion
2013-09-22, 05:24 PM
I agree about not too many questions on the same topic- the most I theoretically allowed myself on the same topic was two questions, and I didn't actually need to use that allowance... I even managed to fit in a few questions about non-Japanese animation in the animation section, and considering how much anime I watch relative to american or UK produced animation, that's saying an awful lot.

Well, I assume that these questions will be edited, but some of the video games I've written questions for seem like they're probably too obscure to ask multiple questions about without there being a riot.

That said, one of the questions last year was something like "according to Games Workshop, what are the nine ringwraiths called?"

Castaras
2013-09-22, 05:32 PM
I should reiterate that I'm not a ringwraith, no matter what some people might say.

Nor a werewolf.

Nor do I eat eyeballs.

Thufir
2013-09-22, 07:49 PM
And I am definitely not a werewolf either. Or a cylon.

Lix Lorn
2013-09-22, 08:15 PM
Aaaaaah Cylon Werewolf

lesser_minion
2013-09-23, 01:50 AM
Nor do I eat eyeballs.

You do know it was Archie who suggested that, right? And that I totally wasn't the scribe for that team?

factotum
2013-09-23, 02:32 AM
I should reiterate that I'm not a ringwraith, no matter what some people might say.

Nor a werewolf.

Nor do I eat eyeballs.

You still do the whole eating of souls thing, though, right? :smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-23, 03:19 AM

Nor a werewolf.

Nor do I eat eyeballs.

And I am definitely not a werewolf either. Or a cylon.

Comments like those are exactly how you lure in your intended victims- keep up the good work:smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2013-09-23, 08:00 AM
You still do the whole eating of souls thing, though, right? :smallwink:

I still have two extra souls. They were payment for the York meetup meet-dice.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-23, 08:05 AM

Sell one to the Devil for your greatest desire or something, it's not yours so it's a win-win for you.

Thufir
2013-09-23, 11:23 AM
Comments like those are exactly how you lure in your intended victims- keep up the good work:smalltongue:

People never seem to believe me for some reason though...

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-23, 01:03 PM
People never seem to believe me for some reason though...

Surely this disbelief is because the primary opponent to your viewpoint is Archonic Energy, whom we know to be an individual of great and unimpeachable character and if you believe that, I'd like to sell you fifty cubic kilometres of deep space

Archonic Energy
2013-09-23, 01:19 PM
cool, i need somewhere to build my chip complex.
:smallamused:

Thufir
2013-09-23, 05:48 PM
Incidentally, the other night I was watching a stream of some people playing Cards Against Humanity online via this website (http://pyz.socialgamer.net/game.jsp). Seemed like something people might be interested in. Of course it's best if you're on some sort of voice chat with each other (the guys in the stream were in a mumble) so you can actually read out the things and talk about them as you do it.

Dr. Bath
2013-09-23, 05:59 PM

I wondered where I put my soul. Also as much as I love my dice, at a glance it does look unfortunately similar to UKIP... awkward excuses abound.

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-24, 05:07 AM
I wondered where I put my soul. Also as much as I love my dice, at a glance it does look unfortunately similar to UKIP... awkward excuses abound.

Maybe we should change the abbreviation to GBitP- if only to avoid the awkwardness...

Dr. Bath
2013-09-24, 06:03 AM
But what of our Northern Irish brethren? Seems mean to leave them out. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-24, 06:28 AM
But what of our Northern Irish brethren? Seems mean to leave them out. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. :smalltongue:

Maybe British Isles in the Playground...

lesser_minion
2013-09-24, 06:31 AM

Or even Europe in the playground. I don't think any of the other countries are doing meetups, after all.

factotum
2013-09-24, 06:47 AM

UKOGBANIitP? :smallamused:

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-24, 06:48 AM
Or even Europe in the playground. I don't think any of the other countries are doing meetups, after all.

Honestly, I think going that far would be a little presumptuous on our part- and leaves little scope for future developments, considering how populous mainland europe is... after all, the only thing our european fellow playgrounders need is at least one person willing to organise a meetup and a handful of their number willing and able to travel to attend it (and they don't even have any major issues with crossing international borders to do so).

I'd be more than happy to see threads for Poland in the Playground, Switzerland in the Playground, the Netherlands in the Playground or wherever organising their own meets, and just because they haven't done so yet is no good reason for us to bestow a pan-european designation on ourselves.

(Note: The example nations above have been chosen carefully as places I know that there are playgrounders...)

Dr. Bath
2013-09-24, 07:43 AM
I vaguely recall there being a Netherlands meetup at some point. DD can probably confirm or deny if that was a real thing or just a fever dream of mine however.

CurlyKitGirl
2013-09-24, 09:20 AM
I vaguely recall there being a Netherlands meetup at some point. DD can probably confirm or deny if that was a real thing or just a fever dream of mine however.

There've been at least three, and DD hosted at least one or two of them.

lesser_minion
2013-09-24, 09:58 AM
Honestly, I think going that far would be a little presumptuous on our part- and leaves little scope for future developments, considering how populous mainland europe is... after all, the only thing our european fellow playgrounders need is at least one person willing to organise a meetup and a handful of their number willing and able to travel to attend it (and they don't even have any major issues with crossing international borders to do so).

Maybe.

North & Irish Seas in the Playground? Land of Unimaginative Place Names in the Playground?

Dallas-Dakota
2013-09-24, 10:47 AM
THERE WERE DU- Oh wait, people actually remember.:smalltongue: Thenks guys.

There were actually six or seven(one was back in 2005/6 I think, so I'm not sure about it), I've attended 5 of them and I've hosted 2 of them. :smallsmile:

Back in the day, oh good times. Sadly, I remain the last bastion of Dutch meet-up people in the playground.:smallfrown: Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Totally not nostalgic. Nosirree.

I would vote for ''Western European Island Meet-Ups''
or WEIMU. Because it would make a really good battlecry.

Because North-Atlantic Ocean Island Meet-ups or NAOIM is slightly less catchy.:smalltongue:

lesser_minion
2013-09-24, 11:19 AM
I would vote for ''Western European Island Meet-Ups''
or WEIMU. Because it would make a really good battlecry.

We're hosting the Iceland meetups, now?

Mercenary Pen
2013-09-24, 12:29 PM
We're hosting the Iceland meetups, now?

Yup, it gives them a venue that isn't Reykjavik:smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2013-09-24, 01:02 PM
Or we could just keep the abbreviation we already have and are used to...

Archonic Energy
2013-09-24, 01:15 PM

Sten approves. +10
:smallamused:

FinnLassie
2013-09-24, 02:48 PM
I am so confused about all of this right now.

Derp derp?

Castaras
2013-09-25, 03:16 AM
Me too. :smalleek:

How's the londoners doing for finding places?

KuReshtin
2013-09-25, 03:23 AM
I am so confused about all of this right now.

Derp derp?

It all started with the Meet-Dice:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/Meet-Dice2.jpg

FinnLassie
2013-09-25, 03:32 AM
It all started with the Meet-Dice:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/Meet-Dice2.jpg

Is this a moment where I'm supposed to sit down nicely in front of a great storyteller and listen to this tale? :smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2013-09-25, 03:38 AM
Is this a moment where I'm supposed to sit down nicely in front of a great storyteller and listen to this tale? :smalltongue:

That's pretty much the story. There were dice, Ku took our souls in exchange for them. The people I play games with think I have UKIP dice. Baddabing baddaboom.

FinnLassie
2013-09-25, 03:41 AM
Obh obh!

Tsk tsk Kurre, trading souls for dice.

... when did I come up with a nickname for KuReshtin?

KuReshtin
2013-09-25, 04:55 AM
Obh obh!

Tsk tsk Kurre, trading souls for dice.

... when did I come up with a nickname for KuReshtin?

To be totally fair, though, I didn't actually suggest trading the dice for souls.
I handed the dice out for free to anyone who attended the X-mas meet in York, and after the meetup, I had a bunch of spares, so I posted on the forum that I would be willing to send some to people who wanted them.

One guy in Canada (I think) called RPGsr4me saw the picture and exclaimed that he'd give me his soul in return for a pair of dice, and I took him up on the offer.
After that precedent had been set, Archie decided to offer smellie_hippie's soul in trade for a set of dice, and so I took him up on that offer, thus leaving me with two souls to spare.
however, there is some contention about whether smellie_hippie's soul is actually mine, since it wasn't offered by the hippie himself, and someone claiming that hippies don't have souls in the first place, and therefore it would be impossible to trade a hippie's soul.

I still have a few spare Meet-dice if anyone's willing to trade for them, though.. :smallwink:

Edit: RPGsr4me is is now apparently going by the name Gulaghar on the boards. And he claimed his soul tasted like raspberries.:smallconfused:

Aedilred
2013-09-25, 05:15 AM
Seems to make sense. I'd assume the principle is that this is the UK meetup but people of other jurisdictions are welcome. Aside from anything else, if you start expanding the purview you have to start expanding the range of venues. Before too long you end up having meetups shared between fifteen venues in Ukraine and Poland or something.

Although if Scotland votes to leave the UK, the name should totally be changed to EWNIBUT(itP) (or perhaps UKEWNIBUT). In fact the official name of the country should be changed to that.

Heliomance
2013-09-25, 05:42 AM
EWNIBUT?

Also, do mine eyes deceive me? Is this actually shaping up to be a meetup in a place I could feasibly attend? Say it is so!

Archonic Energy
2013-09-25, 06:05 AM
After that precedent had been set, Archie decided to offer smellie_hippie's soul in trade for a set of dice, and so I took him up on that offer, thus leaving me with two souls to spare.
however, there is some contention about whether smellie_hippie's soul is actually mine, since it wasn't offered by the hippie himself, and someone claiming that hippies don't have souls in the first place, and therefore it would be impossible to trade a hippie's soul.

doesn't matter. got dice.

why do now I think I got hit with Paul's Me-me stream (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/6864-Harlem-Shake).

Aedilred
2013-09-25, 06:08 AM
EWNIBUT?
England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Berwick-upon-Tweed.

(Yeah, Berwick is now officially part of England again, but so, once upon a time, was Wales.)

FinnLassie
2013-09-25, 06:08 AM
I... I think I prefer having my own soul instead of a dice. :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2013-09-25, 06:15 AM

I can trade you a soul to sell for the dice. My rates are very reasonable.

Castaras
2013-09-25, 08:10 AM

Use somebody else's soul then. :smalltongue:

As stated previously, if it's a London meet, I have a spare room and bedding available for those who are suitably sane and hygienic.

Can do hygienic, but I don't think anybody on this forum can claim to be sane.

Snowfire
2013-09-25, 08:18 AM
Can do hygienic, but I don't think anybody on this forum can claim to be sane.

Note the caveat suitably :smalltongue: