PDA

View Full Version : Name that movie

Grey Knight
2006-12-13, 11:52 PM
Here are the few disjointed things I can remember about it. I admit there is a lot of hemming and hawing in this list, mostly because the memories are so vague and possibly erroneous.

There were humanoid robots in it, possibly giant ones, possibly with smooth carapaces
The robots may have been controlled by some sort of gem/amulet thingy, I think one for each robot
A child (possibly a girl) had one such amulet
All or part of the movie took place on a floating island
At one point, there is a hole in the island
The make-up of the island you can see through this hole may appear to be made largely from square blocks
Someone, possibly the child's robot, falls down this hole at some point

There, now isn't that vague? You deserve some sort of prize if you figure it out. This post will self-destruct in five seconds.

HuoMaKe
2006-12-13, 11:56 PM
The Iron Giant, maybe? I dunno about the island part, but the rest of it sounds familiar.

Grey Knight
2006-12-14, 12:22 AM
The Iron Giant, maybe? I dunno about the island part, but the rest of it sounds familiar.

No, it was a lot older than that. I can't place a year, or even a decade for that matter. :smallconfused:

It was in colour, though! :smallsmile:

SDF
2006-12-14, 12:24 AM
It sounds a bit like Castle in the Sky... I need to think about all the robot movies I've seen...

Bookman
2006-12-14, 12:29 AM
Parts sound almost like the "Dark Crystal".....

But I don't *think* it's an island where they are

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-14, 10:32 AM
Definitly sounds like castle in the sky. Was there this really really big airship called the Behemoth? (Or something similiar?)

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-14, 11:49 AM
Yeah, sounds like Laputa: Castle in the Sky. They sometimes drop Laputa from the name because it's from Gulliver's Travels and is meant to be offensive in Spanish.

Could easily be something else though.

Amotis
2006-12-14, 11:53 AM
Haha, yeah Laputa means something bad.

Grey Knight
2006-12-14, 01:43 PM
Hmm, after reading the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_in_the_Sky), this looks like a possibility. I shall attempt to get ahold of a copy and let you all know!

Also, I like that the director's surname is Miyazaki. Reminds me of a certain paladin I know!

WampaX
2006-12-14, 01:59 PM
Also, I like that the director's surname is Miyazaki. Reminds me of a certain paladin I know!

You don't know who Miyazaki-san is?
Oh boy . . .

Flak_Razorwill
2006-12-14, 02:07 PM
You don't know who Miyazaki-san is?
Oh boy . . .

I think our fair paladin is actually named after Mr. Graveofthefirefliestotorocastleintheskyspiritedawa yprincessmononoke.

Also radish spirit.

bosssmiley
2006-12-14, 05:55 PM

I bring you relevant link (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/laputa/). But remember:

Totoro! is! SUPERIOR! :smallbiggrin:

/r/ repost of the weird little Kodoma avatar...