PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Force Resistance

pwykersotz
2013-08-02, 12:10 PM
I am converting an Amethyst Dragon to 3.5 rules, and one of their abilities is Force Resistance. They gain +4 to saving throws against force effects such as Magic Missile. :smallconfused:

How would the Playground go about translating this ability? Is there a method other than blanket invulnerability like the Force Dragon? Maybe it should just be immune to damage from force effects? Or is there official errata that I've missed?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-02, 12:13 PM
I would add that they gain resistance to force damage, a increased save VS force effects, and a bonus to strength checks to break a force effect.

Force resistance 5, +4 to saves VS force effects, and +10 to strength checks to break a force effect seems about right.

pwykersotz
2013-08-02, 12:27 PM
The problem is that the example it calls out specifically doesn't allow a save. Also, with the exception of classes like the epic Legendary Dreadnought, force effects can't be broken. Maybe the resistance should allow a chance to break it in the same fashion and just ignore the magic missile example, giving a +4 only to the effects that allow a save?

Edit: Can't be broken except for disintegrate, disjunction, rod of cancellation, etc...

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-02, 12:52 PM
I think the ardent savant has a mechanic for breaking an existing force effect. Other than that, bonuses to saves and resistance to force damage are mechanically simple.

Urpriest
2013-08-02, 01:05 PM
Magic Missile didn't allow a save in 3.0 either. The ability just mentions magic missile as an example of a force spell, to remind people what the descriptor means.