PDA

View Full Version : Less offensive word for ''mindrape''

PanNarrans
2013-08-02, 12:29 PM
Noticing the argument blossoming on the comment thread for this Skin Horse strip (http://skin-horse.com/2013/taking-bites/) got me thinking. I really do wish there was a term like ''mindrape'' that meant roughly the same thing, but that I could use in polite company. Anyone got anything?

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-02, 12:34 PM
Brainwashing? I am fond of brainwashing.

PanNarrans
2013-08-02, 12:49 PM
I dunno, to me brainwashing seems too real-world. Mindrape makes me think magic/sci-fi, possibly quickpaced effect; brainwashing makes me think slow cult indoctrination.

scurv
2013-08-02, 01:19 PM
Enhanced Conditioning, Behavioral modification, Perspective adjustment. Take your pick

Traab
2013-08-02, 01:22 PM
Strip minding. :smallbiggrin:
Brain Drain
Mind Crush
Totalitarian Mind Control

ArlEammon
2013-08-02, 01:24 PM
Strip minding. :smallbiggrin:
Brain Drain
Mind Crush
Totalitarian Mind Control

Mental Violation

JoshL
2013-08-02, 01:28 PM
If you're a Farscape fan, "Mind-frell" was used a few times. But sci-fi vulgarities are still vulgarities, doubly so since made up words often make people ask you to explain them. Gaslighting is a pretty similar term though, albeit in the specific sense of being done to someone with intent. For those situations where the situation itself is what blows one's mind, maybe not so much.

The comic you linked made me giggle! Good one!

warty goblin
2013-08-02, 02:48 PM
Mind assault seems like it would be reasonably descriptive, and suitable for most company.

Eldan
2013-08-02, 03:08 PM
Why not Mindrape? That is what it is. I mean, perhaps the word is overuse, but if it is a violent and painful invasion of another sapient creature's conscious mind? Rape seems entirely appropriate.

I mean, the scene that comes to my mind when I hear "mindrape" is Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion. What else would you call that?

I'm also confused at the "polite company" comment. Since when is it no longer politically correct to say that someone was raped?

Ebon_Drake
2013-08-02, 03:59 PM
Mental Violation

I like this suggestion. Psychic assault could work too, although that's a bit more specific.

I'm also confused at the "polite company" comment. Since when is it no longer politically correct to say that someone was raped?

I think the point is that it'd probably kill the mood if you casually mentioned it at a dinner party when people are just chatting about what TV shows they're watching.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-02, 04:03 PM
I think the point is that it'd probably kill the mood if you casually mentioned it at a dinner party when people are just chatting about what TV shows they're watching.

That doesn't sound like the sort of situation where you should even be discussing this subject matter, regardless of what word you use to describe it.

Ebon_Drake
2013-08-02, 05:21 PM
That doesn't sound like the sort of situation where you should even be discussing this subject matter, regardless of what word you use to describe it.

I was being somewhat flippant. However, imagine you're recommending Firefly to an acquaintance. How would you describe River Tam's back-story? Saying her brain was experimented on by the government and it left her mentally traumatised would be fine, but shortening it to say that she was mind-raped would probably get you an odd look.

warty goblin
2013-08-02, 05:42 PM
I was being somewhat flippant. However, imagine you're recommending Firefly to an acquaintance. How would you describe River Tam's back-story? Saying her brain was experimented on by the government and it left her mentally traumatised would be fine, but shortening it to say that she was mind-raped would probably get you an odd look.

So... if you can use the oh so slightly longer, more accurate version, why is this even an issue?

Eldan
2013-08-02, 05:49 PM
Yeah, what the goblin said. If you are describing something in detail, what's the problem with using a dozen words instead of one?

PanNarrans
2013-08-02, 05:54 PM
Hmm... looks like I'll just have to choose between possessed/mind controlled/brainwashed etc as appropriate in future, rather than having a catch-all term. Ho-hum.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-02, 07:14 PM

What, are you tweeting this? If you're not limited to 140 characters, I don't think you have an actual problem. :smallconfused:

Anyway, if you really needed to describe it quickly, just say "they made her crazy." Short enough, right?

Togath
2013-08-02, 09:35 PM
the only alternative terms that come to mind are the offensive "mindf***" and the cheesy sounding "mental molestation"..
Frankly, I'm in the category of people who don't see why the standard "mindrape" needs an alternative:smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2013-08-02, 09:41 PM
Mind warp might work, however.

Cat Dungeon
2013-08-02, 10:57 PM
Brainwashing? I am fond of brainwashing.

Isn't that when you force someone to belief a different point of view? I thought mindraping was freaking someone else on radical, extreme levels.:smallconfused:

Coidzor
2013-08-02, 11:30 PM
If you're a Farscape fan, "Mind-frell" was used a few times. But sci-fi vulgarities are still vulgarities, doubly so since made up words often make people ask you to explain them. Gaslighting is a pretty similar term though, albeit in the specific sense of being done to someone with intent. For those situations where the situation itself is what blows one's mind, maybe not so much.

The comic you linked made me giggle! Good one!

Gaslighting is far too crude for actual mindrape.

Isn't that when you force someone to belief a different point of view? I thought mindraping was freaking someone else on radical, extreme levels.:smallconfused:

No. That's not mindrape at all. Mindrape is something that requires technology that is indistinguishable from magic or, y'know, magic. It's direct violation of a person's sentient consciousness.

the only alternative terms that come to mind are the offensive "mindf***" and the cheesy sounding "mental molestation"..

Frankly, I'm in the category of people who don't see why the standard "mindrape" needs an alternative:smallconfused:

:smallconfused: Mind **** already has its own meaning and it's not a synonym.

Agreed. It's not like it's ever be relevant to use in a feminist forum anyway.

Ravens_cry
2013-08-03, 02:22 AM
Enhanced conditioning techniques, for when enhanced interrogation techniques fail.

The Succubus
2013-08-03, 07:26 AM
Mindchains is a good alternative.

Kindablue
2013-08-03, 12:50 PM
Violation is the common polite substitute for rape.

Alex12
2013-08-03, 01:03 PM
In the few situations were I'm discussing such topics in polite company, I use the term brainhack.

Coidzor
2013-08-03, 04:55 PM
Mindchains is a good alternative.

How so? It seems to convey more a sort of mental prison rather than some form of psychic violation. :smallconfused:

In the few situations were I'm discussing such topics in polite company, I use the term brainhack.

That does seem to be the best of the lot so far, other than just conjugating violation somehow.

GoblinArchmage
2013-08-03, 09:38 PM

The comparison of something that is completely fantastical and can't actually happen to a horrific experience that a lot of people have actually suffered might come off as offensive to some.

warty goblin
2013-08-03, 09:43 PM
The comparison of something that is completely fantastical and can't actually happen to a horrific experience that a lot of people have actually suffered might come off as offensive to some.

Also some folks don't like a casual conversation to start blathering on about rape for no good reason, often because they themselves were raped. Sort of like how you don't randomly yell 'everybody down!' when talking to your war veteran neighbor with PTSD. Triggers things.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-03, 10:01 PM
"Psychic violation" and "psychic assault" are the only decent alternatives to come of this discussion. Seriously, it's called mindrape for a reason. It's not about indoctrination. It's not about conditioning. It's not about control. It's about forcible intrusion to one's psyche and laying bare things the victim never wanted to reveal, leaving the victim utterly humiliated and devastated, as the Asuka example exemplifies.

Brainwashing, mental control etc. are their own distinct things. While creepy, they imply a completely different process and especially completely different reaction from the victim than the original term.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-08-06, 04:05 PM

Seconded. Talking about rape can be very triggering.

I'm still surprised Wizards named a spell (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/mindrape--165/) after it; discussion of the spell only context in which I've heard "mindrape" not replaced with a euphemism.

ArlEammon
2013-08-06, 04:08 PM
Enhanced conditioning techniques, for when enhanced interrogation techniques fail.

I know how those feel. . . :(

That sort of thing scars you until you reach the afterlife.

turkishproverb
2013-08-06, 05:52 PM
Go with the non-human term equivalents to "rape." Terms for a type of violation of a culture or were considered to make an area desolate. Psychic Raze.

PlusSixPelican
2013-08-09, 09:42 PM
Mindbreak.

No, seriously.

Taking a psychic sledgehammer to the mind and just swinging it around like you're aiming at a brain-pinata. You're breaking into someone's head and getting the candy out.

The other terms have the problem of being forgiving. Enhanced interrogation sounds better than torture; but it's the same thing and sounds like it excuses the behavior.

Crude honesty in the term helps establish the crude nature of what we're talking about, and to avoid implications and parallels with non-fantastic concepts, mindbreak. Keeps the same number of syllables, is easy on the mouth, doesn't sound like a polite term for an impolite act.

Alex12
2013-08-10, 04:30 PM
Mindbreak.

No, seriously.

Taking a psychic sledgehammer to the mind and just swinging it around like you're aiming at a brain-pinata. You're breaking into someone's head and getting the candy out.

The other terms have the problem of being forgiving. Enhanced interrogation sounds better than torture; but it's the same thing and sounds like it excuses the behavior.

Crude honesty in the term helps establish the crude nature of what we're talking about, and to avoid implications and parallels with non-fantastic concepts, mindbreak. Keeps the same number of syllables, is easy on the mouth, doesn't sound like a polite term for an impolite act.

I like that one. Mindhack has more surgical precision implications (and also doesn't really work in a pure-fantasy setting), while mindbreaking just sounds brutal.

AstralFire
2013-08-10, 04:33 PM
Came in here to say mindbreak.

Hylleddin
2013-08-11, 12:15 AM

Actually now i think about it, "Psychic Torture" or "Mind Torture" fit pretty well.

PlusSixPelican
2013-08-11, 12:57 AM
Actually now i think about it, "Psychic Torture" or "Mind Torture" fit pretty well.

If they're prolonged, sure. For the in-and-out information psychic cleaver, that's mindbreaking.

Coidzor
2013-08-11, 03:50 AM
I like that one. Mindhack has more surgical precision implications (and also doesn't really work in a pure-fantasy setting), while mindbreaking just sounds brutal.

Also, could be confused with lifehacking or more general brainhackery.

Grinner
2013-08-11, 04:19 AM
What about simple "hijacking"? (Mindjacking?)

Mindbreak sounds like it would shatter the ego, reducing the person to a catatonic mess. Forget about doing anything useful.

Traab
2013-08-11, 07:04 AM
What about simple "hijacking"? (Mindjacking?)

Mindbreak sounds like it would shatter the ego, reducing the person to a catatonic mess. Forget about doing anything useful.

But the spell actually CAN do that. It can leave you insane if the caster so wishes, a broken gibbering mess. I like Mindhack because the spell sounds like a biological version of hacking a computer. You can copy alter or destroy anything you wish. You can leave the brain/computer a broken wasteland, unable to function, or leave no external sign you were even there.

Grinner
2013-08-11, 07:23 AM
But the spell actually CAN do that. It can leave you insane if the caster so wishes, a broken gibbering mess. I like Mindhack because the spell sounds like a biological version of hacking a computer. You can copy alter or destroy anything you wish. You can leave the brain/computer a broken wasteland, unable to function, or leave no external sign you were even there.

You got your sci-fi in my fantasy!

TuggyNE
2013-08-11, 09:19 PM
Mindbreak.

No, seriously.

Works for me. Bonus: it sounds like something from Dominic Deegan, so you can make jokes about how reading the strip is basically doing this to yourself, if that's your thing.

Reality Glitch
2013-08-11, 10:12 PM
What about Milling or millstoning? In the Magic: the Gathering TCG the card millstone represents the ability to drive people insane from hearing it endlessly grind away at their psyche.

PhallicWarrior
2013-08-12, 12:22 AM
What, mindscrew wasn't cutting it?

HalfTangible
2013-08-12, 01:02 AM
I like 'mindcrush' or 'mindbreak' if you really want to avoid the term 'mindrape'...

But to be frank,

A) calling it something else may lessen the horror/impact of the act. That's acceptable if the horror and impact of ripping someone's mind apart (Hey! Mindrip!) isn't the point, but it's something to keep in mind.

B) if your story has something that can be referred to as 'mindrape' to begin with, why are you worried about offending people?

Alex12
2013-08-12, 06:40 AM
I can't believe I didn't think of this before.
Mind Flaying.

Mordar
2013-08-12, 07:22 PM

"Psychic violation" and "psychic assault" are the only decent alternatives to come of this discussion. Seriously, it's called mindrape for a reason. It's not about indoctrination. It's not about conditioning. It's not about control. It's about forcible intrusion to one's psyche and laying bare things the victim never wanted to reveal, leaving the victim utterly humiliated and devastated, as the Asuka example exemplifies.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before.
Mind Flaying.

Mind (or Brain) Scour. Has the "sc" sound that is unpleasant, linked to harshly abrading things to remove what was deeply ingrained. Implies removal of all vestiges of that which was previously present. I think it best used for the extraction of secrets, blanking of memories or removal of personality/loyalty.

That said, I liked "brainhack" quite a bit for the reprogramming aspects, and I think it would probably be more widely understood than some of the others.

Mind Flay clearly has the nostalgia vote, though...

- M

tomandtish
2013-08-13, 12:38 PM

The terms can be tricky because some of them imply certain things while others don’t. Most of the terms people seem to be using imply a psychic component: mind rape, psychic violation, mental assault, mind warp, psychic assault, mid assault, mind frell (just to name a few). But the truth is, there probably isn’t a catchall term because there are too many variations on the theme. You have to look not only at what the effect was on the victim, but how it was done (method by which it was caused).

For example:

Willow Rosenberg casts a spell on Tara to make her forget the fight they just had (about Willow’s overuse of magic). Effect: Memory modification (forced). Note: Since it’s strongly implied that they were then intimate (and were certainly intimate the next day during “Once More with Feeling”), this arguably makes Willow a rapist, since Tara was clearly mad enough at her before the spell that intimacy would not have occurred.

River Tam: Subjected to torture (sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation, forced unnecessary surgeries – stripping of the amygdala among others- and medical experiments), psychological conditioning (including memory modification, behavior modification, psychological triggers, attempts to enhance inherent psychic abilities). However, there is no indication she was subjected to psychic assault. That is, all the methods used against her were mundane. (Horrific, but mundane). This makes a lot of the terms used above seem inaccurate. Effect: If you have to sum her up in a few words, she was tortured and brainwashed in an attempt to make the perfect assassin. (I say attempt because her mental instability is obviously an undesirable side effect).

Professor X (as seen in X-men Movie) uses his powers to take control of Toad and Sabretooth to rescue Rogue from Magneto. Effect: Mind control (forced).

Legato (Trigun – note: I’ve only seen the anime): Uses his power to control the bodies of his enemies. Often has them shoot each other. Those he controls seem perfectly aware(in most cases) that they are not in control (as opposed to the Professor X example above). So, either telekinetic control of the body itself, or telepathic control of only the actual parts of the body necessary to accomplish his aims. Effect: Either partial mind control or body control (forced in either case).

So there’s lots of different potential causes, and lots of potential effects. Heck, Heroes arguably has this list just under Telepathy:

Telepathic Defense
◾Illusion Manipulation- As it is seen many times by Matt Parkman and Maury Parkman
◾Psychic Shadow- As it is seen when Maury Parkman blocks Molly Walker's ability of Clairvoyance
◾Psychic Shield- When Maury blocks Matt from reading his mind

Telepathic Offense
◾Mind Control- When Matt and Maury control other via thought process
◾Telepathic Pushing- When Matt implanted Nathan's memories into Sylar
◾Telepathic Torture- When Maury torture Matt after he tried to read his mind
◾Mind Exchange- When Sylar left Matt's body and went into his own
◾Psychic Inhibiters- Never seen but mentioned when Sylar asked Matt to block his abilities
◾Dream Manipulation- When Matt put Sylar into a false reality in his mind

In short, there’s probably no one name fits all catch phrase.

Eldan
2013-08-13, 03:50 PM
And then there's the above mentioned Asuka example. The painful extration and, I don't know how to call it, playback of the most traumatic, horrible memories in order to reduce someone to a catatonic wreck of a person.

MtlGuy
2013-08-22, 09:32 PM
Brain-Jacked?

LystAP
2013-08-23, 08:32 PM
Mental Misdirection? :smallbiggrin: