PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Delinquent RPG?

Mr. Mask
2013-08-02, 01:30 PM
Anyone know of an existing RPG themed around the setting of adolescent delinquents?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-02, 01:33 PM
Um... "highschool delinquent" doesn't say much mechanics-wise. There are plenty of universal RPGs out there, but they don't have the same tone.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-02, 01:55 PM
The closest thing I can think of is Misspent Youth, but that's more about being an anti-establishment teenager than merely being a delinquent.

Friv
2013-08-02, 02:00 PM
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine could do it pretty efficiently if you were playing it mundane, since it's about adolescence and growing up, and heavily uses skills based around character traits instead of just being task-based. It's not deliquent-specific, but deliquent-based campaign axioms wouldn't be hard to implement.

That said, the Kickstarter for Chuubo's is over, so the working draft can't be had, and the final copy isn't available for sale yet. So you'd have to wait a bit.

neonchameleon
2013-08-02, 03:00 PM
Anyone know of an existing RPG themed around the setting of adolescent delinquents?

If you don't mind a supernatural overlay, Monsterhearts (http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/portfolio/monsterhearts/) (which is about generic teenagers/adolescents with their problems turned up to 11 from being supernatural monsters) is probably the game you want.

Knaight
2013-08-02, 03:11 PM
Strictly speaking Nicotine Girls fits into this. That said, it's less about delinquents and more about desperate people in desperate situations, slowly succumbing to addiction and getting sucked into doing terrible things to themselves to feed it, so if you want something that isn't immensely depressing avoid it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-02, 03:59 PM
I second all of these, particularly Monsterhearts and Misspent Youth, which capture different slices of the pie.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-03, 07:39 AM
Um... "highschool delinquent" doesn't say much mechanics-wise. There are plenty of universal RPGs out there, but they don't have the same tone.

This. Although some fitting suggestions WERE made (which does surprise me a bit, I'll admit), if you're looking for a system to match a theme you'll need to think about what mechanics are important to you.

I'll mention Fate Core as one of the universal RPGs that would work (and is free).

Tengu_temp
2013-08-03, 08:30 AM
Are we talking about generic troubled youths or Japanese delinquent/banchou archetype? Because I vaguely recall an RPG that covers the latter, but I don't remember the name. Gotta ask my friends.

kidnicky
2013-08-04, 09:58 PM
Are we talking about generic troubled youths or Japanese delinquent/banchou archetype? Because I vaguely recall an RPG that covers the latter, but I don't remember the name. Gotta ask my friends.

Yeah I was gking tk say there had to be some catchall anime system that could run this.

Mutazoia
2013-08-05, 09:37 AM
Yeah I was gking tk say there had to be some catchall anime system that could run this.

You mean BESM?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-05, 10:23 AM
You mean BESM?
No, BESM is more a general catchall system. Not terribly keyed into anime specifically beyond the art.

And, given that "anime" is a medium/broad school of animation, "generic anime system" probably wouldn't cover this. Too much under the umbrella.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-05, 10:24 AM
BESM is like Mutants and Masterminds, only less balanced and less fun. I'd suggest M&M instead. It even has a splatbook for anime-style games.

elliott20
2013-08-05, 11:01 AM
Monster Hearts (http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/portfolio/monsterhearts/), a game that can best be described as "Twilight meets Buffy". It is as messed up as that description implies... and it is AWESOME because it's the kind of game that totally revels in how in the most debasing parts of said literature.

my favorite part is Bella expy character class who derives her powers from basically being a co-dependent perpetual victim to her "beloved".

Doug Lampert
2013-08-05, 11:06 AM
"Teenagers from Outer Space" is out there, but doesn't neccessarily focus on delinquints.