PDA

View Full Version : Gear?

Draconisister
2013-08-02, 03:00 PM
I am starting a 3rd level 3.5 campaign where we are pirates. I will be playing a wu gen and have the taboo that I can not own more than I can carry. starting with 2700 gp what gear should I have and do I want to spend the large chink of change to get my spell book waterproofed? I know I should probably have bracers of armor +1 dropping my gold to 1700. help would be greatly appreciated the one thing i dislike the most is buying stuff I always worry I'm not going to be prepared for something or I will run out of food and starve to death because my DM hates me.

Asteron
2013-08-02, 03:08 PM
Your DM hates you? Seriously? If that's not hyperbole, then find another game.

As for not being prepared, see this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) thread for some great ideas. Every adventurer should have a Haversack.

Hamste
2013-08-02, 03:11 PM
Never bother to buy Bracers of Armor, they do not stack with mage armor or luminous armor

BowStreetRunner
2013-08-02, 03:14 PM
You should start with Heward's Handy Haversack and a Belt of Hidden Pouches.

Tvtyrant
2013-08-02, 03:44 PM
What does he mean by "Can't carry?" Like you couldn't buy a mount or donkey? That is sad, because Camels are cheap and edible/drinkable.

Get a ring of Ring of Sustenance and never worry about food, water or sleep again. You will also be almost broke, but you can buy a water-proof leather wrap for your spellbook for cheap (oiled leather, wrapped around it about 20 times and bound tight.) Now you can spend the rest of your career buying actually useful stuff.

JusticeZero
2013-08-02, 03:57 PM
Get a ring of Ring of Sustenance and never worry about food, water or sleep again. You will also be almost broke, but you can buy a water-proof leather wrap for your spellbook for cheap (oiled leather, wrapped around it about 20 times and bound tight.) Now you can spend the rest of your career buying actually useful stuff.
This.

What does he mean by "Can't carry?" Like you couldn't buy a mount or donkey?
He's playing a wu jen, which as I recall has as a requirement of their class the requirement that they take some bizarre oath of that type. he said it's that he cannot own anything he doesn't carry. Thus, if he puts something on a saddlebag instead of carrying it himself, he Falls, just as if he were a Paladin who had slit the throat of a sleeping orphan.

geekintheground
2013-08-02, 04:18 PM
This.

He's playing a wu jen, which as I recall has as a requirement of their class the requirement that they take some bizarre oath of that type. he said it's that he cannot own anything he doesn't carry. Thus, if he puts something on a saddlebag instead of carrying it himself, he Falls, just as if he were a Paladin who had slit the throat of a sleeping orphan.

except for the wu-jen it only lasts a day

Arael666
2013-08-02, 06:17 PM
would a handy haversack, bag of holding or portable hole be excluded then? He's not actually carrying anything that is inside those items, since they are stored in an extradimensional space.

SciChronic
2013-08-03, 10:48 AM
isnt there a rule that you can't use more than 1/4 of your WBL on any single item? if so haversacks are far outside his reach, and i wouldn't suggest it anyway, cause he'd essentially have an empty bag and no clothes or weapons.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-03, 11:02 AM
isnt there a rule that you can't use more than 1/4 of your WBL on any single item? if so haversacks are far outside his reach, and i wouldn't suggest it anyway, cause he'd essentially have an empty bag and no clothes or weapons.

iirc it's a sidebar giving a possible house rule. We would need to ask if his dm has that rule in place. speaking of which: are there any house rules we might want to know to better help you?

Nettlekid
2013-08-03, 02:34 PM
If you have a halfway decent Wisdom (basically not negative...or even a little negative), I suggest buying a couple of jugs of Shapesand (from Sandstorm, page 102) to cover all mundane items. It's a brilliant item that, with a DC 15 Wisdom check (just keep rolling until you get the 15, since there's no penalty for failure) lets you reshape it into any mundane item. Make it into flasks for holding liquids, hammers, ropes, anything. Each jug weighs 12 lbs, but you could make your backpack out of it while you're carrying it, and costs a mere 100 gp, so it's quite affordable. It's great for when you suddenly realize you need an obscure item (a whistle, a signet ring, a lantern, you name it) and since you're trying not to carry too much stuff, it's a good multipurpose item. Just make sure your teammates aren't jerks who'll take control of it and cause your backpack to fall apart for a laugh.

Similarly, though your DM may veto it for obscurity, Chaos Flasks from the Planar Handbook are also 100 gold, a flask big, and made of pure chaos material. With a Wisdom check of 13, you can shape it into absolutely any nonmagical item (even a Diminutive living creature by adding 5 to the DC) that is about the same size. It will then last for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom score (not modifier, score, like Con for holding your breath). So while Shapesand is good for tools and things, Chaos Flasks are good for perishables like alchemists fire, acid, smokesticks, sunrods, and heck, even high value material components like diamonds if you cast the spell quickly enough. Unlike Shapesand this stuff does get used up, so use it sparingly or buy a lot.

I also support people saying don't buy Bracers of Armor, since a little +1 AC that doesn't stack with Mage Armor is pretty lame, and not worth your gold. I might also suggest you look into variant spellbooks from Complete Arcane, especially the tattooed spellbook. No worries about water when your spells are tattooed onto your skin, and it fits the flavor of a mystic Wu Jen pretty well, I feel.

Gildedragon
2013-08-03, 02:39 PM
Waterproof your book by carving it into wooden fobs and stone beads (C Arcane IIRC). Any ornament the wujen wears is part of their spellbook.
See about getting a 1/4 power sustaining spoon; enough for one person.