View Full Version : Is there any way to transfer spell slots?

Talakeal
2013-08-02, 04:24 PM
Is there any way to transfer your unused spell slots / power points / spell points, etc.?

For example a spell that replenishes an equal level spell slot on the target?

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-02, 04:40 PM
As far as I know, the only direct one is Dweomer of Transference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm), which is a 4th level spell that lets you give somebody power points in exchange for your spell slots.

Hamste
2013-08-02, 04:46 PM
Spell slots can be transferred through imbue with spell ability. It costs a 4th level spot and the one you gave as well. Spell Thief can borrow spells as well easily but that require the person to be in the class.

Bestow power can help with the power points. Metaconcert is also great for borrowing Psi points

Talakeal
2013-08-02, 05:27 PM
As far as I know, the only direct one is Dweomer of Transference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm), which is a 4th level spell that lets you give somebody power points in exchange for your spell slots.

Ok that will work perfectly. Thanks.

So my follow up question is:

If you had a character playing a psionicist, would you let them take a sorcerer cohort who did nothing but follow them around spamming that spell?

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-02, 05:31 PM
They would have to give a very good reason why the follower only does that. Only using one skill or performing some semi-generic task is one thing. A sor knowing that spell would be unusual not to mention to reason the sor would be willing to cast that spell whenever you asked for it.

Qwertystop
2013-08-02, 05:32 PM

Wait... doesn't that basically give complete immunity to magic as well?

Segev
2013-08-02, 05:39 PM
*guffaws at the notion of wasting a Sorcerer cohort like that*

Having a sorcerer cohort who CAN do that for your Psion? That's a good idea. It increases your personal power and lets you transfer some nova-capability from a lower-level individual to a higher-level one (you). Having him do nothing but that? What a waste of a perfectly good source of full casting power extra actions each turn!

...to be a little more polite and less incredulous: Yes, that's perfectly fine and balanced. Yes, the mechanics say your cohort actually kind-of idolizes you enough to be willing to do that (though he might start complaining if he doesn't get to do "fun" things, himself, or this behavior actually endangers him). No, I don't think it's a good idea. Mechanically, you're squandering a very powerful feat for a potent but lesser benefit.

nedz
2013-08-02, 05:55 PM

Lets just hope that they don't need healing or anything.

Talakeal
2013-08-02, 05:57 PM

Doesn't it only affect spells that are cast by the dweomer's initial caster?

Hamste
2013-08-02, 06:01 PM
Nope, it says any spell cast during that time.

Talakeal
2013-08-02, 06:04 PM
Nope, it says any spell cast during that time.

Ugh. Yeah, I think that first part is supposed to be descriptive text with the actual rules following later. But you are right, by pure RAW I suppose it does make one immune to magic.

I really wish they would figure out a way to clearly tell when the flavor text stops and the rules text starts.

jindra34
2013-08-02, 06:39 PM
Ugh. Yeah, I think that first part is supposed to be descriptive text with the actual rules following later. But your right, by pure RAW I suppose it does make one immune to magic.

I really wish they would figure out a way to clearly tell when the flavor text stops and the rules text starts.
Well it does include the questionable phrase of 'at the target'. Which leaves room for some spells open to DM interpretation. But yes more horrible WotC writing.