PDA

View Full Version : Deity Creation

brutticusforce
2013-08-02, 06:05 PM
So Im developing a campaign setting for 3.P, and I just got around to creating the pantheon. Im not going to stat out my Gods, but i would like to know what goes into making them mechanically.

There are Domains and subdomains. How many of each does each Deity get? Do they all get the same number of each? does a subdomain count as a full one? I would like them all to get the same number. And what about favored weapon? I was thinking a Deities weapon should be martial. Are there any restrictions on it it would be wise consider? Are there any other things I should consider?

DustyBottoms
2013-08-02, 06:18 PM
Have you looked at Deities and Demigods? It gives a pretty thorough look into making your own deity/pantheon. I consulted it the other day when statting out the pantheon for the Elder Scrolls universe for a fun thought project.

Humble Master
2013-08-02, 06:18 PM
Well, there is no written limit on the number of domains a deity can get, but I think that the number should be around 3-5.

Generally, favored weapon is not going to matter much, just make it fit the deity.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-02, 06:40 PM
Well, there is no written limit on the number of domains a deity can get, but I think that the number should be around 3-5.

Generally, favored weapon is not going to matter much, just make it fit the deity.

QFT. I actually usually stat out about 4 "main" domains that are available to clerics, and another 3/4 (enough to total 7) because I use Person Man's Domain Favored Soul variant.

Alleran
2013-08-02, 06:41 PM
As far as Golarion is concerned (and granted, you don't have to follow it, but you can always use it as a barometre), deities have four domains if they're demigod-level and five domains if they're a full god.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-03, 12:16 AM
Look into some "real world" pantheons and note the similarities (I am using the male "god", but goddess can be swapped in, though love/romance/family deities do have a tendency toward female). There is usually a chief deity with something related to the sky or sun, a god (sometimes multiple to cover multiple afterlives), and gods of the sea, love/romance/family/fertility, harvest, war, music, the forge, the seasons, forests, moutains, hunting, drinking, the sky, the sun, the moon, magic, usually a messenger, and 1 or more "tricksters". Note that many times there is serious overlap, with 1 god having more than one part in it's portfolio, and sometimes several gods will each have an aspect of one of these portfolio items. You can add racial deities, or even whole racial sub pantheons. If you get as many as forgotten realms or greyhawk, you may have gone too far.