PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Uses for Preform

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-02, 07:00 PM
So I was looking at the preform skill and was wondering about alternate uses for the Preform(Act) skill. Could you use Mime to convey a brief message without using words. I'm pretty sure we can all think of a time when we needed to say "Sneak around over there and we'll surround them" without actually saying it. Would that be a valid use of the skill? Could you use it to convince someone that there is a wall of force between you, or would that be a bluff?

Honestly, I think that it should have synergy with bluff, but bluff can get high enough as-is.

Can anybody else think of some uses?

Deophaun
2013-08-02, 07:11 PM
I think you could use Perform (Mime) to enrage enemies to attack you. Well, not so much "use" it, as that my monsters just seem to have a universal hatred of mimes.

As for communicating information, soldiers have a lot of need for silent communications, and yet you don't see a lot of mimes on the battlefield. :smallwink:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-02, 07:23 PM
Get the three maneuvers that allow you to make a Concentration check in place of a saving throw. Preferably go with an Idiot Crusader into Master of the Nine to be able to use any one of those every round.

Get an item that has a continuous effect of the spell Undersong (SC), which allows you to make a perform check instead of a concentration check. You're now able to roll a Perform check instead of a saving throw.

Max your Perform: Weapon Drill skill, described in Complete Warrior. Preferably take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) to get an additional bonus equal to your ranks in that skill. Fireball coming at you? Cut it in half! Wail of the Banshee? Move your sword so fast that the hum it produces overpowers the spell... It's especially good if you get Evasion and/or Mettle, and pick up Quick Recovery so you can make a save even when one wouldn't normally be allowed.

Vaern
2013-08-02, 08:13 PM
Delivering secret messages is part of the bluff skill, as would be convincing someone that there's an invisible wall of force in front of you. A DM might grant a skilled mime a synergy bonus to certain bluff checks, though.

A more important question... should Wall of Force and Forcecage grant circumstance bonuses to perform checks made by a mime?

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-02, 11:06 PM
Ok, how about this... perform, swallow sword, I bet this could be used to store at least a short sword for a little while, also you could use this to get a one swing acidic blade.:smallbiggrin:

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-02, 11:50 PM
Ok, how about this... perform, swallow sword, I bet this could be used to store at least a short sword for a little while, also you could use this to get a one swing acidic blade.:smallbiggrin:

moving with the sword in you would be life threatening at best.