PDA

View Full Version : oldest player you know

kidnicky
2013-08-02, 09:15 PM
Who is the oldest person you know who regularly plays D&D (or I guess any other RPG). I ask this because my campaign now consists of me as DM and my 68 year old father as basically the only PC. (the other PC lost interest.)
Am I correct in assuming he's one of the oldest people involved in the hobby?

valadil
2013-08-02, 09:19 PM
I know a bunch of older gamers, but none well enough that I'm comfortable asking their age.

Manly Man
2013-08-02, 09:27 PM
The oldest one I know who games at all is my mother, who will club me over the head with three different frying pans at once if I talk about her age, though the oldest person I've played with consistently is in his mid thirties. Sadly, we're a little more than a thousand miles away, so such a thing is hard to do anymore, since he doesn't like to play online very much.

QuintonBeck
2013-08-02, 09:39 PM
My dad played AD&D back when he was a teenager and when I've started getting into it he started to help me design things and tell me more stories about his days playing. Since I was off at college, and only playing at the time not DMing, there was no chance for us to play together, but over this summer I DMed a game and invited my dad to play. Since the rest of the players were all noobs I was introducing and all more my age he was reluctant but over the course of the summer the whole group has really bonded and me and my dad have both really enjoyed it. He's 48, though idk if just getting back into it over the Summer counts as consistently but he hasn't missed a session haha :smalltongue:

Alejandro
2013-08-03, 07:06 AM
Our oldest player is 50; most of us are around 30. 50-player is great to have, and loves playing monks and Jedi. :)

neonchameleon
2013-08-03, 07:24 AM
I've a player who's almost 70 (and has been playing for more than 30 years) at my current table.

DigoDragon
2013-08-03, 08:14 AM
Two players in my group are in their mid-40s. The rest of us are scattered in our 30s.

comicshorse
2013-08-03, 08:21 AM
In our Pendragon game the youngest player is 28 and the oldest 49

LibraryOgre
2013-08-03, 09:44 AM
My previous Hackmaster game consisted of myself, a friend and her husband (both mid to late 30s) and her mom (whose age it is not polite to ask), with the late addition of their daughter, who was newborn and mostly stood in for Elder Elemental Evils.

Kitsap Charles
2013-08-03, 10:48 AM
I'm almost 62 (three weeks from now) and my wife is... younger... but if you added the number of years each of us has been playing D&D, it would qualify for Medicare.

Knaight
2013-08-03, 11:14 AM
While I don't know precise ages, I can make estimates - and they are upwards of 50. I know a few players who have kids older than I am, and that alone gives me an estimate of 45 or so as a minimum, unless they had children young.

Jay R
2013-08-03, 11:33 AM
My current group averages about 55, with one in his sixties and one in her forties.

Three of the six of us started playing with original D&D, before AD&D was released. (And in fact one of us originally played with J.D. Webster, the author of Fineous Fingers in the early days of The Dragon.)

Eldan
2013-08-03, 12:03 PM
Well, I'm twenty six. Everyone else I know is younger or perhaps a few months older, tops.

Driderman
2013-08-03, 12:37 PM
Back when I played Neverwinter Nights 1 PWs, I played with a guy who was a halfling rogue. Typed like ****, but that was because he'd had a stroke some years back. Don't remember his exact age but it was somewhere it the 60's (and this was back when NWN 1 was new) and, as he told it, he had actually been around during the time where Gygax and Arneson played around with the concepts of Chainmail and Dungeons & Dragons in the first place. Fun guy, too.

Kol Korran
2013-08-05, 01:00 AM
My group is in our mid 30s, though I know of one more group who are in their mid 40s. We started in the 1st version (The Red Box) and played through D&D editions, and recently changed into FATE.

There is a big surge of much younger players these days, though they mostly play D&D 4E and Gamma World, which are highly merchandised in my country.

OverdrivePrime
2013-08-05, 08:38 AM
My current RL group is early thirties to early forties, though back in college I played with a couple professors and other guys who would probably be in their late fifties. And yes, I'm 100% sure they're still making life terrible for newbs in Chicago's White Wolf LARP scene.

eepop
2013-08-05, 12:46 PM
In High School (about a decade ago) the Mom/Dad/sister of the guy whose house we played at played with us 90+% of the time.
Last I heard, his Dad is still playing in his games, although I haven't played with them in awhile.

I don't know his exact age, but he was completely grey back then. Definitely over 60, very possibly over 70.

He is awesome and often was one of the folks most in character. He also plays the Sheriff of Nottingham at the local renaissance festival.

His age never really came into play other than him turning in "early" (1-2am) when we might keep rolling till dawn. I know people have his age that would shudder in terror just staying up till 1, so I don't even know that that really counts against him.

elliott20
2013-08-05, 03:25 PM
For a long while, my RL group was consisted of nothing but married guys, some with kids, some without. When I started with them, I was 26 at the time, and was probably one of the youngest in the group. The oldest one there was in his early 40s. It's been 5 years since and now I find myself sitting right in the middle as a lot of the older guys had to peel off due to work or other family situations. We also picked up a lot of newer people who are in their late teens or early 20s. It's actually kind of strange being the older guy for once.

But the store owner at the shop we played at was easily in his 60s and he definitely is still an active tabletop gamer. And let me tell you, he plays a wicked Drill Sargent McNasty, and even better Shell-Shocked Veteran.

Gemini Lupus
2013-08-05, 03:51 PM
The Herald in my SCA chapter is in his 50's and played with Gygax and Arneson.

Knaight
2013-08-05, 04:04 PM
I don't know his exact age, but he was completely grey back then. Definitely over 60, very possibly over 70.
His age never really came into play other than him turning in "early" (1-2am) when we might keep rolling till dawn. I know people have his age that would shudder in terror just staying up till 1, so I don't even know that that really counts against him.

I'm a third his age, consider 10 PM a reasonable time to head to sleep, and while I do stay up until 1 fairly routinely the direction I prefer to see dawn from is right after I wake up. Plus, even the staying up until 1 is a fairly recent development - if my girlfriend wasn't the sort to prefer waking up at noon and staying up until late I'd probably have the typical morning person schedule.