cast, disable, sell?

50x2000(cr 1 traps) = 100000?

or is this just plain wrong?

Daftendirekt
2013-08-02, 10:14 PM
Welcome to D&D. You're a decade late.

GutterFace
2013-08-02, 10:16 PM
well i am just checking is a disabled trap can be picked up and sold.

Daftendirekt
2013-08-02, 10:19 PM
Assuming you can find somebody who wants to buy 50 random-ass traps. Assuming you can do so within the 12 hour duration the spell has. Assuming your DM allows you to do such a ridiculous thing.

Add this to the list that includes casting Wall of Salt/Flesh to Salt and selling all the salt (as it is a trade good). Also Wall of Iron for the same reason.

GutterFace
2013-08-02, 10:23 PM
haha also true. but interesting as a note in a list of nonsense i keep around

Azoth
2013-08-02, 10:57 PM
Buy a ladder, remove the rungs, sell 2 10' poles...

unseenmage
2013-08-02, 11:19 PM
Spell Turret from DMG2.
Use the spells Elation and Distill Joy from BoED.
And Heroism and Suggestion for good measure.
Sell Ambrosia to whoever will buy it.
Enjoy you newfound infini-funds.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-03, 12:05 AM
you really want cheesy money? go loot some long forgotten cheeze cellar.

Andezzar
2013-08-03, 12:35 AM
Buy a ladder, remove the rungs, sell 2 10' poles...Are you sure about that? I only see a broken ladder. The rails (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Bamboo_ladder_in_Hainan_-_02.JPG/120px-Bamboo_ladder_in_Hainan_-_02.JPG) are not equal to poles, unless you are talking about the type of ladder that has the rungs tied to poles. The picture in the PHB does not look that way.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-03, 12:48 AM
I'm beginning to see what the vets here mean when they say "here we go again" And i've only been her for a few months.

Wand of fabricate, Wand of wall of iron, Wand of teleportation, and eventually a wand of plane shift. Create wall, fabricate wall, be sure to vary product, be sure to spread product. After you ruin the worlds economy, if you aren't satisfied with your wealth go planer, but start going planar before the economic downturn spreads.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-03, 03:31 AM
I'm beginning to see what the vets here mean when they say "here we go again" And i've only been her for a few months.

Wand of fabricate, Wand of wall of iron, Wand of teleportation, and eventually a wand of plane shift. Create wall, fabricate wall, be sure to vary product, be sure to spread product. After you ruin the worlds economy, if you aren't satisfied with your wealth go planer, but start going planar before the economic downturn spreads.

A wand of fabricate can just make things, you don't need material components when using a spell completion item, and the raw materials for fabricate are listed as the material component for this spell. This also means that if you have eschew material components you can treat the spell as a "super creation", since there is no cost listed for the raw materials.

This is why self resetting fabricate traps are a common feature of the tippverse.

Zanos
2013-08-03, 03:32 AM
Let's not get too complex.

We could always build 10 foot ladders.

Norin
2013-08-03, 03:40 AM
Quarterstaff for 0 gold, break it up and sell as firewood. Repeat a gazillion times.

So much silly in d&d economy. No sane dm would allow it though.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-03, 03:57 AM
A wand of fabricate can just make things, you don't need material components when using a spell completion item, and the raw materials for fabricate are listed as the material component for this spell. This also means that if you have eschew material components you can treat the spell as a "super creation", since there is no cost listed for the raw materials.

This is why self resetting fabricate traps are a common feature of the tippverse.

I think I see something wrong here, but I don't know what to do. The material component of fabricate then has a variable cost so you can't eschew materials fabricate anything of value. Don't wands require the cost of the material component to make? How much would it cost to make a wand of fabricate and how much could it create? Is the limit based on how much you spent on it, is it useless, or does it cost an infinite amount of gold?

This is a lot simpler when you can cast wall of iron and fabricate.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-03, 04:13 AM
I think I see something wrong here, but I don't know what to do. The material component of fabricate then has a variable cost so you can't eschew materials fabricate anything of value. Don't wands require the cost of the material component to make? How much would it cost to make a wand of fabricate and how much could it create? Is the limit based on how much you spent on it, is it useless, or does it cost an infinite amount of gold?

This is a lot simpler when you can cast wall of iron and fabricate.

I was wrong about eschew (only affects 1gp or less components, I thought it was worded as "without listed cost"), but spell completion items NEVER require material components, and the materials to be fabricated are listed in the material components section. Ergo, super creation.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-03, 04:27 AM
I was wrong about eschew (only affects 1gp or less components, I thought it was worded as "without listed cost"), but spell completion items NEVER require material components, and the materials to be fabricated are listed in the material components section. Ergo, super creation.

Ok, but to create a spell completion (scroll) or trigger (wand) item you need to provide the material component. (50 components for a wand). So I think you must be limited to the material component used at creation. This does not apply to traps however, you only provide one material component and it uses it over and over again. I think spell clocks work too.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-03, 04:41 AM
Ok, but to create a spell completion (scroll) or trigger (wand) item you need to provide the material component. (50 components for a wand). So I think you must be limited to the material component used at creation. This does not apply to traps however, you only provide one material component and it uses it over and over again. I think spell clocks work too.

You have stated what amounts to a fine houserule, but by RAW, nope.

faircoin
2013-08-03, 05:01 AM

Why isn't everything done through self-resetting wish traps? CloisteredCleric1/Wizard9/Dweomerkeeper10 and Supernatural Spell wish for a self-resetting wish trap (wish traps are, after all, wondrous items). 0 time, 0 cost (except that of the opportunity to use Supernatural Spell for something else). No other trap is necessary, except perhaps gate traps.

Glimbur
2013-08-03, 08:40 AM
Why isn't everything done through self-resetting wish traps? CloisteredCleric1/Wizard9/Dweomerkeeper10 and Supernatural Spell wish for a self-resetting wish trap (wish traps are, after all, wondrous items). 0 time, 0 cost (except that of the opportunity to use Supernatural Spell for something else). No other trap is necessary, except perhaps gate traps.

There's the cost of having a 20th level character wish for the traps. Their time is valuable.

Andezzar
2013-08-03, 09:00 AM
There's the cost of having a 20th level character wish for the traps. Their time is valuable.Magic items created through wish have no maximum price. A wish trap is a magic item...

But seriously though don't all parameters of the spell that is used in the trap have to be determined at the crafting? That would make a very poor wish trap.

ramrod
2013-08-03, 10:18 AM
Crazy thought... Kill things, loot, repeat? :P

Shazek
2013-08-03, 11:58 AM
Magic items created through wish have no maximum price. A wish trap is a magic item...

But seriously though don't all parameters of the spell that is used in the trap have to be determined at the crafting? That would make a very poor wish trap.

Which is why you make a Wish trap that creates Rings of Three Wishes, or scrolls of Wish with arbitrarily high experience invested in them.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-03, 12:02 PM
I'm partial to wand of Mount + wand of Magic Aura (to remove the magical aura that indicates it isn't real) to sell horses that disappear in a couple of hours.

It's especially fun because even if they find out they've been conned, they can't really chase you down, because their horse is gone.

Flickerdart
2013-08-03, 12:03 PM
Spell Clock set to maximum speed + literally any spell = infinite anything.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-03, 06:51 PM
You have stated what amounts to a fine houserule, but by RAW, nope.

I'm not convinced. I don't think there is enough written to have a RAW definition for the cost to create a magic item with a variable cost material component. I guess that would make it a house-rule though.