PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question about Vampires

Zmflavius
2013-08-02, 11:38 PM
I gather from Durkon's last living conversation that if he killed (well, incapacitated) Malack, he could have raised him, because he'd've had Malack's body and diamond dust.

But, at this point, since Malack is dust, hypothetically, could he still be true resurrected by a level 17 Cleric?

And in both cases, what would the now living Malack be like? Malack's description of "ignorant barbarian shaman of an extinct tribe" seemed mite bleak to me.

(I realize that for story purposes, Malack is stone dead at this point)

erikun
2013-08-02, 11:46 PM
Any character of a high enough level could cast True Resurrection, although it is still the choice of non-vampire Malack to come back to life or not. In D&D, the departed can choose not to return to life. (This point was made in-comic as well, with Lord Hinto.)

We don't really have a way to cleanly say who the resurrected Malack would be like. Evil-vampire-Malack didn't want to be resurrected, most likely because the resurrected Malack would certainly no longer be evil, or a vampire. "Good" Malack would not have the priorities or personality that the vampire Malack has, so his observation that it would effectively be ending his existence isn't entirely incorrect.

Also, you'd probably get better responses in the The Order of the Stick forum than the general RP forum. I'd recommend PMing a mod to see about having the thread moved, so that others following and discussing the comic closely can chime in.

Yora
2013-08-03, 03:38 AM
A 13th level cleric could resurrect a slain vampire if he has some of the dust with a resurrection spell. A 17th level cleric could resurrect it even without the dust with a true resurrection spell.

But in any way, it would resurrect the living person as it was before it was turned into a vampire.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-08-03, 04:13 AM
I'm sure there's some spell in some splatbook somewhere that lets you "resurrect" sentient undead.

TuggyNE
2013-08-03, 04:20 AM
I'm sure there's some spell in some splatbook somewhere that lets you "resurrect" sentient undead.

Does revive undead cut it for you?

Lanaya
2013-08-03, 05:27 AM
Even True Resurrection can only bring back someobody who died within 10 years per caster level. IIRC Malack was a vampire for over 200 years, so you'd need an epic level cleric to bring him back, even if he was willing. There aren't too many of them lying around.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-08-03, 12:45 PM
Does revive undead cut it for you?

It's what I was thinking of, though it won't work in this particular case: It needs the body to be (mostly) intact, which Malack's body most certainly is not.

TuggyNE
2013-08-03, 05:45 PM
Even True Resurrection can only bring back someobody who died within 10 years per caster level. IIRC Malack was a vampire for over 200 years, so you'd need an epic level cleric to bring him back, even if he was willing. There aren't too many of them lying around.

I don't remember where it said that; have a linky?

It's what I was thinking of, though it won't work in this particular case: It needs the body to be (mostly) intact, which Malack's body most certainly is not.

Ah, yeah. So a wish to reassemble the remains first. (It's on the safe list.)

Really though, I doubt anyone would be willing to dump a 9th and a 5th or whatever on him. Good riddance! :smalltongue:

Lanaya
2013-08-04, 08:46 PM
I don't remember where it said that; have a linky?

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm) (Raise Dead is limited to one day per caster level.)

EDIT: If you're talking about the time Malack spent as a vampire, I don't have a source for that, I'm too lazy to look through the archives for it.

JusticeZero
2013-08-04, 09:56 PM
Beyond that, I think OOTS has True Resurrection banned by house rule.

Flickerdart
2013-08-04, 10:01 PM
Beyond that, I think OOTS has True Resurrection banned by house rule.
No, they just don't really have high level clerics there (except, like, Redcloak).

As for the vampire thing, it's not that hard to boost CL even in Core, so you wouldn't need to be Epic to bring back a creature dead for over 200 years.

TuggyNE
2013-08-05, 01:55 AM
EDIT: If you're talking about the time Malack spent as a vampire, I don't have a source for that, I'm too lazy to look through the archives for it.

The latter; I already knew of the spell's time limit.

Psyren
2013-08-05, 10:29 AM
The latter; I already knew of the spell's time limit.

Malack's been a vamp for 200 years it seems. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html)

TuggyNE
2013-08-05, 11:55 PM
Malack's been a vamp for 200 years it seems. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html)

Ah, OK. Thanks. :smallsmile: