PDA

View Full Version : Any dentists in the playground?

IronFist
2013-08-03, 12:11 AM
Hello.
My fiancee's sister is writing a paper on geographic tongues, however she needs some articles in English but is not very familiar with the language. If anyone can help me help her with links or any material regarding geographic tongues, I'd be very thankful. :smallsmile:

Jimorian
2013-08-03, 05:26 AM
I think you mean "linguist"? A person who has studied languages and their history? A dentist fixes teeth. :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2013-08-03, 05:31 AM
I think you mean "linguist"? A person who has studied languages and their history? A dentist fixes teeth. :smallbiggrin:

I think the person that deals with tongue problems is laryngologist, actually.

Jimorian
2013-08-03, 05:47 AM
I think the person that deals with tongue problems is laryngologist, actually.

"Tongue" in English is a colloquial term for "language", particularly with the context of "geographical" in front of it.

Example: "English is my mother tongue."

EDIT: unless the OP means geography OF the tongue, then you'd be correct.

IronFist
2013-08-03, 01:37 PM
I am a linguist, actually. We don't deal with tongues (in this sense).
My fiancee's sister is studying to be a dentist, so I believe dentists are the ones who deal with this stuff.

factotum
2013-08-03, 03:38 PM
Looking it up on Wikipedia, there is actually a condition called "geographic tongue" which appears to be what IronFist is talking about. Whether it would be a dentist who deals with such a thing is outside my experience.

Jimorian
2013-08-03, 04:01 PM
Looking it up on Wikipedia, there is actually a condition called "geographic tongue" which appears to be what IronFist is talking about. Whether it would be a dentist who deals with such a thing is outside my experience.

That would have been a VERY useful piece of information to have in the OP. :smalltongue: (:smallwink:)

IronFist
2013-08-03, 04:06 PM
That would have been a VERY useful piece of information to have in the OP. :smalltongue: (:smallwink:)

Well, if you don't know what it is, you're clearly not a dentist. :smallcool:

Gavran
2013-08-03, 04:15 PM
Well, if you don't know what it is, you're clearly not a dentist. :smallcool:

Touché. I guess we do a decent job keeping the topic active so an actual dentist might find it though. After seeing the article, I'm now paranoid about the possibility of tongues being covered in Lichen planus. >.<

IronFist
2013-08-03, 04:58 PM
Touché. I guess we do a decent job keeping the topic active so an actual dentist might find it though. After seeing the article, I'm now paranoid about the possibility of tongues being covered in Lichen planus. >.<

Yeah, the activity is very welcome. Articles about tongues always freak me out.