PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Dark City

ArqArturo
2013-08-03, 03:11 AM
I've been meaning to run a sidegame from our current D&D, to make a World of Darkness campaign setting, but based on the premise of Dark City.

The basics would be this:

1.- Supernaturals within The City (plus some rural regions outside) vaguely have an idea that they're not from there, that they've been taken away, but they don't know who or why. Normal human beings don't have an idea, but when confronted with this, they can get violent.

2.- Getting past the limits of The Area gets you to a random part of The City.

3.- There is an in-between dimension (call it Umbra/Hedge/Underworld), but is limited to the confines of The Area, and all spirits/ghost that inhabit the place are natives from there, and have no idea of the outside world.

4.- The rules and mood of Dark City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_City_%281998_film%29) apply, to some extent (Supernaturals can only remember what they did in the night, normal humans can never remember, plus some may even do something completely different to what they were doing the 'night' before).

5.- Normal humans are somewhat aware of the existence of supernaturals, as such, there are companies that exist to protect them (Hunter Corp., being one), at least about vampires, werewolves, and some mages. Changelings and Prometheans are the only supernaturals that actively try to keep hidden from the public eye.

I'm thinking that, while it has some potential, I'm sure I'll bump into a wall, so I'm thinking I might only focus on one set of supernatural (most likely either Geists or Mages), since it makes it easier to handle.

Has anyone ever run a similar game?.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-03, 06:54 PM
I played with a setting that trapped the group on an island city.

It wasn't exactly the same, and played with more Sci Fi concepts and had reduced supernatural element. The core was a hunter game with a focus on underground resistance to authority.

The idea was that in 2080 a island city in the northern pacific ocean an atomic capable island nation implemented an AI named One as the control for most island info structure. It then took over the island, and, to do what was best for the people of the island, took over completely, threatening any outside power with an atomic strike if they intervened.

The rebellion is an inside force of people lead by a variety of factions, from the mob like Smugglers, to the enigmatic Zero Conspiracy, to the Redeemers. All fighting a powerful force of AI controlled info structure with tightly controlled technology.

The end plot was that Zero was the flipside of One, and was the creative right brain of the AI who thought that the good of the island was over weighed by the good of each individual on the island, and sought their freedom.

There was going to be cool themes like the AI not being able to recognize faces, and changing your persona was possible by changing your documentation, just hope the machine doesn't fingerprint you.

I think you have a cool idea, and you should run with it. Focus on the story elements you want to bring out. My story intended to bring out fear, and a sense of facelessness to the party as well as the faceless opposition, a willingness to change who they where, and yet forcing them to maintain their core character despite the change to everything else.

Fear and facing the unknown also played a part, as did roles and the people who fill them.

Tira-chan
2013-08-10, 10:47 PM
You might want to wait for Demon: the Descent to come out, as I've actually seen people mention online that it reminds of Dark City. The whole idea does sound very God Machine.