PDA

View Full Version : My post count doesn't update

Death by DM
2013-08-03, 10:21 AM
My post count hasn't updated from 34, even though I KNOW I've posted since I first saw my post count as 34. I've tried reloading the page and logging out and then logging back in. What's going on?

IdleMuse
2013-08-03, 10:37 AM
I think some subforums don't get counted...

Keris
2013-08-03, 10:37 AM
Posts in Silly Message Board Games (and its subforums) do not count towards your post count total. I'd imagine that'd be the reason for any discrepancy.

Death by DM
2013-08-03, 10:43 AM
Oh! That explains it. Thanks, Keris!

Rawhide
2013-08-03, 11:31 AM
Why are you even worried about post count? It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make you better at anything. It doesn't increase your credibility. It doesn't have any value.

Worry more about making meaningful, content filled posts. Earn your reputation by being someone people like to read, not by trying to have many posts.

Death by DM
2013-08-03, 11:46 AM
I just thought it was odd that a day's worth of posting didn't show up. I thought something might have been wrong with my computer.

Rawhide
2013-08-03, 11:52 AM
There's a reason we don't show your post count next to the posts you make, and it's because we don't want you to even think of it. It is really not something you should be worried about, at all.

Everyone should be treated equal here, regardless of time spent or number of posts made. Someone who has just registered here and made less than 5 posts might have information just as useful as someone who has been around for years with tens of thousands of posts.

Death by DM
2013-08-03, 12:19 PM
OK, I think I'll restrain myself from checking. I'm just kinda competitive in general, a quality I'm working on restraining.

Jormengand
2013-08-03, 12:36 PM
Posts in Silly Message Board Games (and its subforums) do not count towards your post count total. I'd imagine that'd be the reason for any discrepancy.

For the record, posts in the Die Roller forum do not count either.

@Rawhide: One wonders why we're given postcount titles at all.

ThePhantasm
2013-08-03, 12:49 PM
The titles are for fun, but NOT for comparing yourself with others, thinking less of others because they have lower post counts, trying to post a ton to change your title, spamming, etc. In other words, the post titles are fun, but you shouldn't be concerned about them or let them define how you behave.

137beth
2013-08-03, 02:11 PM
Why are you even worried about post count? It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make you better at anything. It doesn't increase your credibility. It doesn't have any value.

Worry more about making meaningful, content filled posts. Earn your reputation by being someone people like to read, not by trying to have many posts.

There's a reason we don't show your post count next to the posts you make, and it's because we don't want you to even think of it. It is really not something you should be worried about, at all.

Everyone should be treated equal here, regardless of time spent or number of posts made. Someone who has just registered here and made less than 5 posts might have information just as useful as someone who has been around for years with tens of thousands of posts.
If I didn't know that posts in SMBG don't count, then I would think that someone's post-count not increasing was a glitch. That wouldn't mean I would think "oh no! this person cannot increase their reputation or "rank"!" It would mean I would think "oh no, something is wrong in the forum code."
If the description of the SMBG forum were spontaneously translated in to ancient Sumerian without you or anyone else editing it, then I would thin, that was pretty cool, but it would still be a glitch:smallsmile:

That is my ATTEMPT to explain why the OP might have been worried. It's all moot though, since there is no glitch.

Rawhide
2013-08-03, 03:39 PM
Post counts and titles are not reputation, and titles are not a "rank", they are there simply for fun, to help with the board's 'theme'.

The question is rhetorical, the answer is that you shouldn't care. We're encouraging people to post solid, thought provoking, and meaningful content filled posts, not to place importance on a meaningless number.

Do this to earn your reputation, posting just to increase your post count will actually decrease your reputation. What would you rather see? One very useful and informative post, or a whole bunch of posts that are obviously only there to increase the number of posts someone has made.

I'm not addressing any one person in this thread, but everyone who places any amount of importance on post counts.

@Rawhide: One wonders why we're given postcount titles at all.

Because we have no other way to effectively assign the range of titles to theme the board the way we would like.

eggynack
2013-08-03, 05:18 PM
I don't think that post counts are necessarily all that pointless. From my own perspective, it gives me some measure of how much I've done, and where I'm going. Besides, while having less than fifty thought provoking and well reasoned posts might be better than having thousands of poorly written and rushed posts, I've gotta figure that having thousands of thought provoking and well reasoned posts is better than either. The goal of a high post count shouldn't supersede anything, but I don't think that thinking about it at all is completely meaningless. Also, while I tend to not judge pixie folk in a harsh manner, it sometimes informs my posting style a bit. Like, I might use full book names instead of abbreviations, and explain what blue text means if I end up using it.

Temotei
2013-08-03, 05:23 PM
Also, while I tend to not judge pixie folk in a harsh manner, it sometimes informs my posting style a bit. Like, I might use full book names instead of abbreviations, and explain what blue text means if I end up using it.

This is my main use of our titles, though I tend to use full book titles any time I don't recognize someone.

Besides, the titles can be really fun if you don't hold them over someone else.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-03, 05:52 PM
Sheriff: I'm not sure why we're still talking about this. The Forum Rules are pretty clear on this and there's a stickied thread in this subforum that sets forth the forum policy more specifically. Rawhide has reiterated them quite well in this thread.

Standard procedure in this subforum is to lock threads once the issue has been addressed.