PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Campaign help - Star Spawns, dealing with DR and Ghosts

Silus
2013-08-03, 12:39 PM
Ok, so the campaign I'm running is getting towards the end and I feel that I am not appropriately prepped for what the PCs have in store (also partially my fault for how much power I let them get).

Problems are as follows:

1) Due to my own ineptitude as a DM, I allowed the PCs to gain some templates (specifically the werewolf and vampire templates, and one is looking at buying a construct augmentation one), almost all have DR (at most, I think, of 10). Barring things that will explicitly bypass DR (and maybe come off as sorta "i'm gunnin' for you" ), what are good ways to deal with players with DR?

2) Compounded with issue 1, the PCs will be going to a Darklands-type ruined city on the coast of an underground sea. The city has been nicknamed "The City of Ghosts" and I wanna throw in some appropriately incorporeal undead, but at the same time I'm hesitant about A) Throwing in overpowered creatures (they're lvl 8s) and B) throwing too much at the PCs. But at the same time, I feel that I'm not doing my job as a DM (They've gone 8 levels with out a PC death). I was thinking Shadows honestly (Love those little buggers), but I'm also seeking something that will take out a vampire as well.

3) So, near endgame thing. Barrier between worlds that is keeping out the things between spaces has busted and the BBEG has shown up, an exiled former goddess of the night that has been corrupted and turned evil and bitter. Anyway, she's got heralds/minions. Way I described them was vaguely humanoid (two arms, two legs, torso, head, flowing hair) and seemingly composed of space (stars, galaxies, nebulas) and that they are, at least compared to the PCs, obscenely powerful (Rule 0'ed the one they found to destroy a CR 12 construct). I'm basically using refluffed Shining Childs, but I was wondering if there was a better alternative to represent, fluff and stat-wise, a herald/minion of the above goddess without going full Cthulhu (the PCs are convinced that the BBEG is Cthulhu or something Lovecraftian).

Edit:

4) So I've decided to use this stuff from a fanfiction (Fallout Equestria) called the Pink Cloud (http://falloutequestria.wikia.com/wiki/Pink_Cloud#Pink_Cloud). So far, I've had the concentrated stuff do at least 2d12 in damage as the cloud rapidly begins shutting down vital organs and whatnot. Anyway, I'm thinking of having some creatures being able to breathe the stuff (Refluffed Adherers + breath weapon + fast healing + some DR to represent the necrotic, transformative properties) and was wondering if 1) this would be considered a tad unfair/overpowered, and 2) what I ought to do to make the Pink Cloud more...true to source. Was thinking 2d12 for the concentrated blast +1d6(maybe 2d6) bleed (internal bleeding) and their armor and weapons have to make fort saves. Failure results in a high/low percentage. High and the weapon/armor takes corrosion damage, low and it beings to painfully adhere to the skin.

Deathkeeper
2013-08-03, 01:13 PM
Well, has anyone ever tried to infiltrate the City of Ghosts before? If so, you could have bodies of fallen warriors clutching minor ghost-harming items. A Minor rod of Ectoplasmic Spell, a scroll or two of a spell with that metamagic or Magic Missile, a Ghost Touch Dagger in a hidden room. This gives the party the ability to harm ghosts, but not necessarily over a long period of time, so if they plan it right they can do damage very well once per encounter and then whittle the ghosts down with normal magic items. It doesn't make the ghosts less dangerous, it just gives them some resources after they've gotten a ways inside and are already hurting. Because after a few fights, most players will suggest retreating if they know there will be more enemies resistant to all their attacks unless you throw them a bone.

You could also point out that the BBEG clearly has a thing for undead, and the vampire might want to get himself cured/raised so he doesn't get mindscrewed. He might not actually do so if he doesn't, but he might think it'll happen. Or make it only sort of happen, so it would hamper his abilities slightly.

And while anything with "equestria" attached is beyond my knowledge lore-wise, the Cloud seems a bit OP if it's going to be all over the place and corrodes everything. If it's just an inconvenience meant to force them to go around it, like any pitfall or just the occasional trap, it shouldn't be too bad.

Silus
2013-08-03, 01:25 PM
Well, has anyone ever tried to infiltrate the City of Ghosts before? If so, you could have bodies of fallen warriors clutching minor ghost-harming items. A Minor rod of Ectoplasmic Spell, a scroll or two of a spell with that metamagic or Magic Missile, a Ghost Touch Dagger in a hidden room. This gives the party the ability to harm ghosts, but not necessarily over a long period of time, so if they plan it right they can do damage very well once per encounter and then whittle the ghosts down with normal magic items. It doesn't make the ghosts less dangerous, it just gives them some resources after they've gotten a ways inside and are already hurting. Because after a few fights, most players will suggest retreating if they know there will be more enemies resistant to all their attacks unless you throw them a bone.

You could also point out that the BBEG clearly has a thing for undead, and the vampire might want to get himself cured/raised so he doesn't get mindscrewed. He might not actually do so if he doesn't, but he might think it'll happen. Or make it only sort of happen, so it would hamper his abilities slightly.

And while anything with "equestria" attached is beyond my knowledge lore-wise, the Cloud seems a bit OP if it's going to be all over the place and corrodes everything. If it's just an inconvenience meant to force them to go around it, like any pitfall or just the occasional trap, it shouldn't be too bad.

Well the party has ~4 caster classes (Bard, Alchemist, Magus and Sorcerer) and magic weapons, so they should be sorta fine against the undead, though I may do what I've suggested in throw in some anti-ghost weapons (light weapons 'cause hey, can't make it TOO easy for them).

Amusingly enough, the Vampire character mentioned that whenever the BBEG shows up, he's gonna likely swear loyalty to it :smallbiggrin:

Well it's only stupid dangerous when in concentrated quantities (Immediate 2d12 with an additional 1d12 per round you're in it + Bleed), though that's like London fog densities. Lighter stuff, the damage kicks in after a few rounds at only 1d6 with no bleed. The "source" of the Pink Cloud has already been passed (the munitions room of a crashed and buried space craft). The Cloud may have extended beyond, but not far enough to cause damage or expand further. The Adherers I mentioned in the OP would just be creatures that had the misfortune to be exposed to so much of it that they began exuding it.

Kol Korran
2013-08-04, 09:37 AM
Ok, so the campaign I'm running is getting towards the end and I feel that I am not appropriately prepped for what the PCs have in store (also partially my fault for how much power I let them get).
Hey Silus! This sort of happened to me too in part of an older campaign. They kept overcoming obstacles which I thought should be rewarded accordingly, and this kinda... escalated. You can balance things with tougher challenges, but this only semi work. I'll try and help with some advice that used to work for me.

1) Due to my own ineptitude as a DM, I allowed the PCs to gain some templates (specifically the werewolf and vampire templates, and one is looking at buying a construct augmentation one), almost all have DR (at most, I think, of 10). Barring things that will explicitly bypass DR (and maybe come off as sorta "i'm gunnin' for you" ), what are good ways to deal with players with DR?
A few thoughts:
- There are some thing totally bypassing the power of DR: Area affect powers (Fireballs and such), powers that don't try to affect hp, but try to impose status affects on the player (Grapple, blind, stun), or deal non-hp damage, such as ability damage (Like the shadows you later suggest).
- Or... I always found that fun encounters include both things the PCs are effective against, but also some surprises to boot. This means using compound/ complex encounters: 2-4 types of enemies, about 2 types of terrain, and 1-2 special effects to the scene. Some enemies might not get past the DR (and make the characters feel awesome, and that their choices were well made), while some DO get past their DR, or even excel against them. (Thus keeping the risk live and evident in the game) This is true to most powers/ abilities: Sorcerer uses a lot of lightning spells? throw some enemies who get zapped good, and some that are immune/ resistant or such. Mix things up, don't go for single monsters or pairs.

2) Compounded with issue 1, the PCs will be going to a Darklands-type ruined city on the coast of an underground sea. The city has been nicknamed "The City of Ghosts" and I wanna throw in some appropriately incorporeal undead, but at the same time I'm hesitant about A) Throwing in overpowered creatures (they're lvl 8s) and B) throwing too much at the PCs. But at the same time, I feel that I'm not doing my job as a DM (They've gone 8 levels with out a PC death). I was thinking Shadows honestly (Love those little buggers), but I'm also seeking something that will take out a vampire as well. You'd be surprised, but played well shadows can be even deadlier than ghosts, especially if in numbers, especially for a big party.

I suggest you go with ghosts, as they have a far greater mechanical versatility and interests (The party could just learn to pop a death ward against the shadows for example. Ghosts can do much more than just use negative energy), and their story potential- There can be many different ghosts, some might talk, some might even use items, and more.

You can have ghosts of even 1HD! this can make them (fairly) low CR for your group to handle. Beside- this IS coming to the end game- things should be tough, REAL tough!

But a
t the same time, I feel that I'm not doing my job as a DM (They've gone 8 levels with out a PC death).
(Facepalm) Where do people get the notion that you're supposed to kill your characters every so and so levels?! Are they having fun? Do they feel unchallenged? Do they feel over whelmed? If You can get them to enjoy the game, feel tension, fear, accomplishment, progression and success you have done your job well even without needing to kill your characters. I suggest to try and raise up the stakes till they are at the edge of their seats, not to aim to kill a character. This is ESPECIALLY important about the End Game- It could be a total downer to play through out the whole campaign, developing a character, and coming so close to the climax only to die in an unsatisfactory manner, and play some replacement shmuck through the end, thinking of how great this could have been with the character you CARED for.

A worthy death is something different alltogether, or a death because the players are dumb and stupid, but not because you need to feel "you have done your job as DM".

I heartily suggest you throw situations at them that are bigger than they are, but not ones that are an instant kill, but where they can realize that this isn't gonna work. Don't plan for solutions for these situations, wait for the players to come up with things and suggest them, and just roll. These make the best of stories! As long as you're not trying specifically to kill them, but try to CHALLENGE them, you'll do fine.
[/vent]

3) So, near endgame thing.
I'm faily crappy with statting monsters, I feel I can't much help you with that, but I'll try to think up something later.

If you wish help with some other ideas (Can't much help with the pink fog either) let me know.

Hope the game goes well!