PDA

View Full Version : Fey faster than Pixies?

Alokue
2013-08-03, 06:37 PM
My party needs to be somewhere in a hurry and I am on foot...my type is fey and I was thinking of using some scrolls or a wand of alter self to make it through...the biggest problem is, fey have so few good forms. Any ideas?

Malimar
2013-08-03, 07:06 PM
Bearing in mind Alter Self's 5HD maximum, you're not going to get any faster than a 60ft fly speed (petal, shaedling, pixie). There are a few with 60ft swim (fossergrim, sirine, vodyanoi) or burrow (bog imp) speeds, but that'll probably not help you.

For land speed, you'll want to go with a splinterwaif (MM3). 50-foot land and climb speeds. Monsters of Faerun also has the hybsil, with a 50-foot land speed, but that's a less-commonly-accepted book.

HalfQuart
2013-08-03, 08:34 PM
Not sure how you're activating those wands or scrolls, but there's Cloud Wings, a 2nd level Druid spell from Spell Compendium that gives +30 Fly Speed for 1 hour/level. It does not give a fly speed if you don't have one, buy you could layer it on top of a few castings of Alter Self (which is only 10 min/level).

I assume you're rather low level, so no spells like teleport, overland flight, phantom steed, ethereal mount, etc?

Nettlekid
2013-08-03, 10:16 PM
Can you tell us your level, build, and destination? It's likely that people will be able to think of how to help you in ways beyond just how to go quickly.

But if it does come down to flying, at least be clever about how you go. Zigzagging is the best method. If you fly up at half speed for a round, and down at double speed for a round, you go faster than if you just fly straight. If your speed is 60 with Good maneuverability, like a Pixie, then using a Run action while flying (I think you can, right?) can bring you 115 ft forward and 5 ft up, and then next round you Run again and go 475 ft forward and 5 ft down. In two rounds you'll have gone 590 ft, whereas if you just did a Run action twice normally you'd only have gone 480 ft.