PDA

View Full Version : Bane stacking

Asteron
2013-08-03, 06:48 PM
If one were to get Bane from several different sources,say from bane arrows+bane class ability+true bane bow, would they stack?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-03, 07:28 PM
If one were to get Bane from several different sources,say from bane arrows+bane class ability+true bane bow, would they stack?

No, they wouldn't stack anymore then a flaming bow and a flaming arrow would stack. However the +2d6 of two different banes could stack in theory if a creature had both subtypes. An Aquatic Elf would be vulnerable to both a bane vs elves and bane vs aquatic humanoid weapons. But its questionable if such a weapon would deal +4d6

Galvin
2013-08-03, 09:01 PM
Bane affects cannot stack. A magic bow bestows it's magic upon it's ammunition, and magic ammunition does not stack with a magic firearm.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-03, 11:53 PM
Bane affects cannot stack. A magic bow bestows it's magic upon it's ammunition, and magic ammunition does not stack with a magic firearm.

Sure they can. They wouldn't produce a higher enhancement bonus in the specific instance you mentioned (bow + arrow), but they can certainly stack.

A +2 chaotic outsider bane, evil outsider bane Longsword would act as a +6 weapon and deal an extra +4d6 damage against demons, for example.

Edit: upon further googling, it appears I might be wrong. Supposedly the Sage said "no" in some issue of Dragon (356 or so).

That said, Bane should stack with the Berserker weapon property from Unapproachable East (I refuse to acknowledge the "update" in MIC) for a total +4 increase in the enhancement bonus if raging while attacking the bane enemy.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-04, 02:42 AM
Edit: upon further googling, it appears I might be wrong. Supposedly the Sage said "no" in some issue of Dragon (356 or so).

Sage advice... well those aren't actual rules but one editors interpretation.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-04, 10:07 AM
Sage advice... well those aren't actual rules but one editors interpretation.

Thus my usage of "might." :smallwink: