PDA

View Full Version : The Castle of the Lich [Ravenloft]

Fenric
2006-12-14, 10:33 AM
You have entered a ruined castle set high in the mountains of the border between Balnorath and Barovia.

The castle shows signs of an intense fight, with scortch marks and crumbling stone attesting to a mighty battle that ultimately did not favour the defenders. Within, the evidence of bitter fighting is clearly seen. Looters have picked the place over, leaving nothing but crumbled stone and the stray piece of bone here and there.

Nonetheless, an aura of evil still fills the place: something powerful, magical, and utterly wicked once dwelt here.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-14, 10:49 AM
((Its a thread now? Uh Oh...))
((Yes, once dwelt there. Untill everything started to fit in a small bag. Ash doesn't take up much space.))

Phoenixineohp appears, teleporting in from the battle. Everyone who touched her also arrives.
She paues for a moment and looks around. "Who are we missing?"

Exachix
2006-12-14, 03:15 PM
Exachix and Lorrian shake their heads, Exachix looking over who's there.

Just Lorrian had come through. she sighs and sits next to Kantur.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-14, 03:22 PM
Phoenixineohp looks around and sighs. Both she and Phoenix vanish again.

Exachix
2006-12-14, 04:11 PM
Lorrian looks around, goes and sits next to a wall with Kantur and leans against him, before going to sleep.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-14, 07:18 PM
Phoenixineohp and Phoenix reappear, but with no one else. The take a look around and see the sleeping character(s). Phoenix laughs.
"Look at that! Sleeping! No guard or wards or anything. I should teach the-"They don't know Phoenix. Remember they are from the town!" Phoenix sighs and they look at each other. "I'll take the first watch." They put up some wards and alarms before Phoenix curls up to sleep and Phoenixineohp takes watch.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 11:49 AM
Kantur wakes and starts running through some basic sword routines.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 11:53 AM
Lorrian wakes slowly and watches.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:02 PM
Hey you
He remarks in a single, heavy breath as he spins and spots her before carrying on as if he hadn't.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:05 PM
Lorrian smiles and continues to watch.

DarkHunter
2006-12-15, 12:09 PM
The forces of darkness point out how very, very quiet it is inside the ruins of the castle.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:10 PM
Kantur finishes up and puts the sword away again.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:14 PM
Lorrian gasps at the forces of darkness and sits in slight shock for a few minutes, hoping that trogs hasn't decided to transpose itself here. Soon she lets out her breath and smiles to Kantur.

"Hey!"

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:16 PM
I wonder where the others are...

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:26 PM
Lorrian shrugs.

"Possibly back where they were left..."

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:28 PM
Can't be promising if they're still there...I might scout around for a bit...

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:29 PM
Lorrian stands up and brushes some dust off her black clothes.

"Well... Want company?"

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:33 PM
He pauses to think on it for a few moments
No, I'll be looking around for traps mostly, best not to have distractions when I'm doing that...
He heads further into the castle, searching the next corridor and room thoroughly for anything that seems out of place.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:36 PM
Lorrian sighs and waits back in that room for him. Listening out.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 12:38 PM
The corridor and room are bare and trap free. There is a suspicious-looking closed door at one end of the hall, and a slightly-ajar door with a broken lock at the other. All along the hallway, broken-open doors stand open where they aren't in pieces on the floor. All in all, this part of the place has been picked over very thoroughly.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:41 PM
I don't like this...
He creeps up to the closed door and examines the lock (Assuming there is one) or the door generally (If there isn't)

Fenric
2006-12-15, 12:43 PM
The door's lock has been picked at, and the door itself is charred as if someone tried to burn through it. There don't seem to be any traps.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:46 PM
Lets try to open it, curiousity's always been a problem for Kantur afterall :smallwink:

DarkHunter
2006-12-15, 12:47 PM
It's locked. This is an "Amazing Lock", DC 40.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 12:48 PM
((if curiosity killed the cat... Kantur's curiosity could kill a pride of lions.))

Kantur
2006-12-15, 12:52 PM
Kantur'll take 20 on it using whatever's to hand (So he'll barely make it eventually at 42 after the penalty for improvised tools)
(^ Heh heh, probably...Do the lions get nine lives?)

DarkHunter
2006-12-15, 12:56 PM
Eventually the lock clicks and the door opens smoothly. It looks like a broom closet: There's a bucket, a broom, a dust-mop, a string-mop, and a feather duster hanging from hooks. Four scrubbing brushes, a bottle of disinfectant, and several large blocks of soap rest on the floor.

To keep things going along: Detect Magic shows nothing. There are no traps.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 01:03 PM
Bah...why go to all that effort to protect some cleaning supplies!?
He answers his own question by stealing some of the scrubbing brushes, a string mop as a back-up weapon and a feather duster because it's there, before moving through the previously mentioned ajar door with broken lock.

DarkHunter
2006-12-15, 01:05 PM
(( Adventurers... they have no patience these days... ))

As Kantur takes the string mop, a loop of the string catches on a hook. The hook gives slightly as the mop pulls free.

Kantur
2006-12-15, 01:06 PM
Hmm?
He examines the hook more closely

((Back later))

DarkHunter
2006-12-15, 01:47 PM
The hook appears hinged and attached to a mechanism of some sort. It doesn't have the look of a trap, more like a secret door.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 01:48 PM
Lorrian sits down, leaning against a wall. waiting paitently, before rubbing her hands together to warm up.

Penguinizer
2006-12-15, 02:22 PM
George takes the disinfectant, wondering if they would need it for a makeshift explosive.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 02:26 PM
Fenric, Myobi, and Krystal all pile in through the front entrance, which Kantur no longer needs to go through. They quickly find Lorrian, Kantur, Phoenix, and Pxp.

Fenric grins

Nice janitor closet there, Kantur.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 02:29 PM
Exachix [Fox] follows Krystal in.

Lorrian smiles as they appear.

Deadly
2006-12-15, 02:30 PM
Deadly floats in and looks around Not bad...

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 02:32 PM
Aesa steps through and looks around.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 02:35 PM
Fenric looks around to get his bearings

It's been a long time since I've been here... the audience chamber should be through the third door on the right. The stairs we need are on the other side

(( I've got some work to finish before the weekend... I'm going to have to leave things here. I'll be back sometime after 5 pm central. ))

Penguinizer
2006-12-15, 02:37 PM
((once again, If I dont post when something happens, npc me. Curse the time zones))

Exachix
2006-12-15, 02:39 PM
((Okaydokay. Good luck))

Exachix goes by a wall and lays down, head on front paws.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:08 PM
Fenric wanders over to see what it is that has Kantur so fascinated by the closet at this end of the hallway.

I never had seen what was behind this door. A closet seems a bit anti-climactic, somehow.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 05:10 PM
Exachix's eyes open slowly again and look around.

Lorrian stands and goes to where Kantur is. ((Still at the closet?))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:15 PM
(( He never came back, so he must still be there: examining the lever that opens the secret door in the back of the closet. ))

Exachix
2006-12-15, 05:19 PM
Lorrian goes to by Kantur.

"Ooh, closet."

Exachix begins to sniff around.

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 05:22 PM
Aesa looks around, twirling her magic rod.

Deadly
2006-12-15, 05:28 PM
Deadly follows and looks into the closet

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 05:32 PM
Phoenixineohp and Phoenix (who had switched guards in the middle of the night) stretch and mill around. Phoenixineohp seems a little uncomfortable in the castle, but very familiar with everything.

"Is everyone acconted for?"

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:39 PM
Myobi (who is not by the closet) shakes her head

Sort of... we seem to have misplaced Fallon somewhere along the way, but we picked up Aesa, Kenyon, and this guy in green armor who's with Kenyon.

((future-Destro, but none of my characters had ever met him before))

Exachix
2006-12-15, 05:41 PM
[Fox] Exachix goes over to Krystal and looks up at her, not finding anything elsewhere, then looks over to PxP and Px. "Lorrian, Kantur, and Fenric are... exploring a closet..."

Lorrian hmms to herself, looking over the closet.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:47 PM
(( Sadly, none of us saw what Kantur did. ))

Fenric shrugs and tries detecting magic: he doesn't find any.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 05:47 PM
"Ah. Thanks. Shall we worry about Fallon?"

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:49 PM
Myobi sighs

We can worry, but she disappeared between the ends of a Dimension Door... since that's not actually possible, it looks like "plot" to me...

(( I'm bored: let's continue ))

Fenric sees one hook slightly pulled out and tugs on it. It pulls out with a click, and the entire back wall silently slides open, revealing a narrow, steep, dark spiral stairway leading down.

Oh.

Deadly
2006-12-15, 05:50 PM
Deadly grins Spooky

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 05:51 PM
Phoenixineohp looks over. She blushes and looks down. Phoenix pats her on the back and walks after Fenric.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 05:54 PM
Exachix looks up at Krystal before moving over near to Fenric.

Are you ok Dear?

Lorrian looks at the stairway.

"We need light now... Dammit I hate steep stairways."

Fenric
2006-12-15, 05:57 PM
Fenric heads down the steep stairs, checking carefully. The stairs seem to have been used reasonably frequently once upon a time, as the steps are smooth.

The stairway ends at a blank wall, which slides aside to reveal another closet. Upon exiting the closet, you come upon a small office-like room that makes Fenric tremble.

So that's how she moved around so fast...

Fenric turns to the group, his ears folded down

This is the office of the overseer of the mage-slaves: the sadistic woman who dominated my life for over a hundred years.

This room looks to have been entered by Phoenix and Pxp, as it is as trashed as everywhere else.

Deadly
2006-12-15, 06:00 PM
Deadly looks around curiously What exactly are we looking for anyway?

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:01 PM
Lorrian looks around.

Exachix sniffs around.

((is it dusty here?))

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 06:02 PM
Aesa follows and watches everyone with interest.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 06:03 PM
Phoenix and Phoenixinep follow down the stairs and look around carefully.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:06 PM
(( Very dusty. Ashes of burned stuff, mostly. ))

Fenric turns to Deadly

We are looking for a few special extra-dimensional vaults anchored to the castle. Hopefully one or more will contain information related to the manner in which the lich who once ruled here killed our king.

We are now on the mage-slave level, where one of the spaces is hidden

Fenric leads the way out of the normal doorway (which is lacking a door) and out into a wide room. Burn marks, ash, and rubble indicate that rows of bunks were once here.

Fenric looks around and walks slowly to one wall. There in the stone of the wall is carved "F.nZ.". Fenric stands there somberly for a time, lost in thought.

Deadly
2006-12-15, 06:08 PM
Deadly nods and follows thoughtfully

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:09 PM
Exachix sniffs in a corner of the office, with a sudden sneeze alot of dust is thrown around and there is a very sheepish looking Exachix with alot of dust in his fur, he sneezes again whence the dust settles.

"Sorry..."

He carefully pads his way towards the bunk room and looks over at Fenric, then around the room again.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 06:09 PM
Phoenixineohp walks up beside him and puts a hand on his shoulder. Phoenix leans against the door way.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:12 PM
Fenric looks at Pxp

What happened to the mage-slaves that were left?

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:13 PM
Exachix trots over and stands by Fenric, looking at the wall.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 06:15 PM
She smiles slightly.
"We set them free. Some stuck around to do some damage."
"One in particular was very into the whole thing. We had to pull him off so he didn't go too wild. Healing therapy."

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:20 PM
Fenric smiles

Good. Some of them were here for a very long time.

Fenric shakes it off

We're not here to re-live the past, though! Let's go.

Fenric leads the way down the long room and out the door on the far end. The corridor beyond is nearly as large as the room was. Fenric points to the left.

That way was the main vault. He had some really interesting toys there: one of which was my ticket out of this place so long ago.

Fenric points to the doors that line the other side of the hall

Across the hall were the labs that we were forced to work in. Mostly building constructs and cramming spells into wands, staves, and rods for him. The constructs are why the hallway is so large. Occasionally we were forced to assist his loyalists in their work... that was not pleasant.

Fenric gestures to the right end of the hall

That's the main stairway. One level up has generic servant's quarters and facilities. Two levels up is the lich's audience chamber. One level down is where the loyalists had their private rooms and libraries. The first extradimensional space is there.

Fenric turns right and heads to the stairs.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:23 PM
Exachix follows Fenric, occasionally looking over concerndly at Krystal, and otherwise looking around, not sniffing any more.

Lorrian Looks around as Fenric takes them around this castle.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 06:24 PM
Phoenix smiles at the talk of the items. Phoenixineohp just stays quiet and follows Fenric.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:25 PM
(( I owe Continuity's grave a flower: I said there was one on this level. Um... I know! Fenric looked for it and it was gone already! Phoenixineohp must have got to that one. Yeah... that's it... ))

Deadly
2006-12-15, 06:25 PM
Deadly plays a bit with a black flame in his paw while listening to Fenric explain.

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 06:27 PM
Aesa yawns while she listens, waiting for something more interesting to happen.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-15, 06:29 PM
((That works, I was thinking that the one they found had people or treasure. Works for that floor. ))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:30 PM
(( Interesting is going to have to wait until I get back from dinner. I've only got 10 minutes left for now. Interesting is coming, though. ))

Fenric leads the way down the stairs. This hallway stretches the length of the building, with rooms to either side. As before, the doors are all broken when not absent entirely. Each doorway has a small rectangular brass plaque with a name engraved on it. Some are melted and illegible, but many are intact.

The private rooms and laboratories of the loyalist spell-weavers.

Fenric walks past the rooms, finally stopping at another. The brass plaque next to the doorway is labelled "Fendran". Fenric spits on the plaque before continuing onward.

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:34 PM
Exachix glares at the plaque, stopping near it.

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 06:35 PM
((Just expressing Aesa's thoughts on the matter.))
Aesa gives the plaque a curious glance but does not pause.

Fenric
2006-12-15, 06:40 PM
At the end of the hallway is a doorway where the door was reduced to ash. The plaque is melted and oxidized beyone all hope of reading, but the name is unimportant.

The head of the evil wizards used this room. But he didn't hide his most important "closet" inside, because it would be too obvious.

Fenric slides along a length of wall, finally stopping about two feet off of the corner.

I've heard tales of how he used to get in, but we don't have the time. Krystal, if you'd be so kind as to shatter the mundane rock that is hiding the entrance from detection?

Krystal, who had tried detecting magic without seeing anything, chuckles. The Shatter spell reduces a thin veneer of granite into rubble, revealing a two inch deep depression in the wall. This area radiates powerful Enchantment.

Hide the magical door under quite unmagical rock. Even a powerful dispell wouldn't help you find it if you didn't know it was here.

(( And I'll leave you with this cliffhanger. See you later. Sorry, exy. ))

Exachix
2006-12-15, 06:43 PM
Exachix finishes Glaring and bounds over to watch Krystal work, and rubs his head against her leg.

((That's ok. I Have to go anyway. Vauge possibility that I won't see you on... Definatly not this late on Sunday night anyway...

Goodnight. Fen Can NPC me... Lorrian's up for NPCing. Don't kill them :D))

Deadly
2006-12-15, 06:45 PM
Deadly grins Very clever...

Kantur
2006-12-15, 08:18 PM
((Sorry guys, cousin was in town so the family was obliged to see him and have a few social drinks with him...If something like me disappearing happens again, just NPC Kantur - so long as he doesn't do something drastically out of character, I can live with it.))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 10:00 PM
(( Hmmm... Verdandi/Aesa is online, but I've lost everyone else... ))

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 10:17 PM
((Kenyon is online.))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 10:19 PM
(( Kenyon and Aesa could probably handle it. It would be interesting to see how Aesa deals with it, actually. Kenyon: interested in a battle? ))

Kenyon
2006-12-15, 10:44 PM
((I would be, if I wasn't still strapped to my work desk. If the offer still stands in 45 minutes, I can take you up on it.))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 10:45 PM
(( good lord... you're still at work? But you're in the same timezone as me... *eek!* ))

AmberVael
2006-12-15, 10:47 PM
((That is a rather late shift.))

Kenyon
2006-12-15, 10:49 PM
((Don't I know it. The warning in my sig's there for a reason. :smallamused: ))

Fenric
2006-12-15, 11:20 PM
(( I'll try... it is Friday, fortunately ))

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:03 AM
((Alright, later than I expected, but I'm here. We still up for it? *checks* Vera's gone? Dang. Stupid traffic.))

Fenric
2006-12-16, 12:06 AM
(( Verdandi might be offline but her player is around on both MSN and AIM, so if we start something, I'd expect she could show up. Is Destro around? ))

Fenric contemplates the enchanted section of wall.

The tricky thing with extra-dimensional spaces is opening them without breaking the link.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:10 AM
((His last post in the Police Station says he's out for the rest of the night, so not likely.))

Fenric
2006-12-16, 12:15 AM
(( Ok. It will be more reasonable without fDestro, really. ))

Fenric tries several minor spells to activate the portal, to no effect.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:18 AM
Kenyon snaps out of his NPCish daze, and looks around.

"Whowhatwhenwhyhow?"

Fenric
2006-12-16, 12:22 AM
Fenric rolls his eyes and states the name of the lich, out loud. Immediately the portal blurs and shimmers, revealing a large room beyond

Figures it would have been that...

Fenric peeks inside

(( As this has taken so incredibly long, I will have this be the place where useful information exists... I have other places I'd like the party to visit.

Poor Kenyon ))

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 12:29 AM
((Oh, sorry. Got to reading Maddox and could not stop.))
Aesa waits, her eyes narrowing a little.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:29 AM
((Yeah, I'm really sorry, Fenric. Didn't mean to drag this out for you.))

Kenyon gets recapped on everything he's missed as he checks his pistol and chainsword.

Fenric
2006-12-16, 12:37 AM
Fenric notices four exquisite statues as he enters the space and looks around. Shortly after he enters, though, a voice booms out

PASSWORD, MASTER?

Fenric's ears droop to the sides.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:42 AM
Kenyon winces at the booming voice, and sees Fenric's reaction to the voice's question.

"This's a bad thing, I take it?"

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 12:47 AM
Aesa tilts her head and watches.

Fenric
2006-12-16, 12:47 AM
Fenric looks at Kenyon and tries to whisper

I don't know the...

INCORRECT! KILL THE INTRUDER!

The four carayatid stone golems draw their swords and advance

dangitall...

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 12:54 AM
"CrapcrapcrapCRAP!" Kenyon takes a few steps back as he fires three shots from his pistol at one of the golems.

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 12:59 AM
Aesa smiles. Golems. How interesting. She draws Zchiz and lets the heavily enhancted battle axe fly at one of the golems, while she raises her hands and sends no less than twenty five Magic Missiles at one golem.

Fenric
2006-12-16, 01:12 AM
Magic missiles do nothing at all to a golem. (( "completely immune to magic except as listed" - caryatid is a type of stone golem ))

Zchiz does normal battle-axe damage. Which, while a nice die-roll, doesn't impress the golems much. (( "enchanted weapons do normal damage, but do not get their bonus" ))

Kenyon's shots flake bits off of one of them, but they continue to advance.

Fenric readies his bladestaff as the first one nears him.

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 01:15 AM
((Ah. I forgot to mention that Aesa is using Seid, not magic. It counts as an extraordinary ability. :smallsmile:))
Aesa scowls and summons two Mage's Swords to attack two different golems.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 01:17 AM
"Damn it, that never works!" Kenyon growls, as he holsters his pistol, and readies his chainsword, revving it to life.

"Not sure how well this'll do against stone, but it's better'n nothin'!"

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-16, 01:19 AM
((Hey, the party didn't go as long as expected. I'm here for a bit now. Don't worry Fenric, I won't pull any ultracheese:smallbiggrin:))

Penguinizer
2006-12-16, 01:21 AM
((and is there any light)).

George casts Continual Flame on his sword.

Fenric
2006-12-16, 01:26 AM
(( I've been up long enough to wrap back around to George... oh, dear. :smallbiggrin:. Well, you'll get a bit of battle before I collapse, anyway.

And Aesa mangles her golem into a fine powder with a resistance-bypassing trick. ))

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 01:29 AM
Kenyon jams down on his chainsword's throttle as hard as he can, causing it to roar loudly, and cause flames to fire out the exhaust ports.

"HOO-YEAH!"

He lunges for the golem, and swings his sword in a downward arc.

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-16, 01:29 AM
((Well, considering the only reason the armoured man is here is to make sure Kenyon doesn't kick the bucket...))

Boss? That might not be the best idea...

((Sweet! I got simu-d and now my post works even better!))

Fenric
2006-12-16, 01:35 AM
Kenyon engages a golem first due to his charging. The graceful stone construct attempts to dodge the chainsword, which screetches painfully on the stone, removing several chunks of marble. The caryatid swings its longsword in an attempt to decapitate Kenyon.

Fenric and George are attacked by golems.

Zchiz is probably annoyed at the pile of dust where its victim used to be.

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-16, 01:36 AM
The armoured man runs over to where Kenyon is and sees the stone golem bring its sword down. He is unable to get there in time to block this swing, but he'll be there to block the next if necessary.

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 01:39 AM
Aesa directs her two magic swords and Zchiz to attack one of the statues.

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 01:42 AM
Kenyon lets out a rather creepy laugh, as he seems to unleash the past three days of frustrations out on the golem in front of him. In his anger, he barely manages to see the longsword coming straight for his head.

"ACK!"

Letting go of his chainsword, Kenyon ducks under the blade, barely dodging decapitation. Dodging the swing, he grabs the chainsword again, and attempts to pull it out of the golem.

"Destro! A little help?"

Fenric
2006-12-16, 01:42 AM
(( Anyone left: please feel free to use the full weight of your special-effects writing. I have to go to sleep... ))

Fenric blocks a blow and counterattacks, doing the stunning 1d6 damage of his polearm.

The golem attacking Kenyon swings again

Penguinizer
2006-12-16, 01:44 AM
George casts Reverse Gravity.

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 01:44 AM
The two Mage's Swords and Zchiz make short work of the statue they are directed at, hacking off its limbs to disable it before reducing it into stony shards. The swords fade away while the enchanted axe cackles.

Fenric
2006-12-16, 01:46 AM
(( Aesa kills George's golem... I edited my earlier post.

The Reverse Gravity is actually convenient: makes the magic swords + axe attack more likely to have had the desired effect. Continuity gets another flower for golems being immune to magic.

Two left: one on Fenric, on on Kenyon. Please kill.

As in: godmod the snot out of the golems. I'm done. bye. ))

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-16, 01:52 AM
You sir, says the armoured man, addressing the golem attacking Kenyon. Have attacked my boss. This... He raises an arm to block the golems sword, which glances off his shield. Is never a good idea. With the hand not blocking the sword he aims a punch at the golem. A punch with the full force of his armours considerable strength behind it. After this he pops out and appears behind it, aiming another punch at its knees. And again, this time at its head. And again. and again. Time seems to blur, until the armoured man is everywhere, swinging at the golem from every direction at once.

((Ok, I know I said no ubercheese. But you want it dead!))

Kenyon
2006-12-16, 01:52 AM
Kenyon panics as he sees the golem attack again. He pulls with all his strength, finally yanking out his chainsword, with a big chunk of golem probably coming with it.

AmberVael
2006-12-16, 01:59 AM
Aesa blasts the golem attacking Fenric with another volley of Seid Missiles (because magic gives the wrong impression) and rends it to dust, while Kenyon and fDestro pummel and slash the last golem into pieces.
((Just so you guys don't have to go and edit once you see Fenric's edit.))

Penguinizer
2006-12-16, 09:24 AM
George gets some of the golem dust off of him and then says I could have handled it. But he still seems like he was grateful for the help.

((npc me for a bit, you know the drill :P))

Fenric
2006-12-17, 10:27 AM
(( Well, the house is clean now. I think our Christmas shopping is done, too. ))

Fenric, Myobi, and Krystal begin to sort through the various books and records, looking for anything that would shed light on the situation.

Fenric encounters a list of the "faithful", and smiles

Oh! How very, very convenient! A list of traitors to watch out for.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 10:29 AM
Exachix stays near Krystal and looks up at the list.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 10:33 AM
Krystal makes the next discovery: an entire spellbook devoted to a single spell:

Epic Spell: Mundane (Abjuration)

Cost to Cast: 5000 XP, 10d6 backlash damage, drains all memorized spells and psionic points, drains 1 point of each ability (permanent, but can be cured normally), causes 1 negative level (also permanent, but can be cured normally), loss of all spellcasting ability for one month.

Range: 1000 feet
Area: 100 foot sphere
Duration: Special

The most powerful anti-magic/anti-psionic spell ever devised, Mundane creates a 100-foot sphere that is entirely devoid of supernatural energy. Absolutely everything within the sphere is rendered completely and utterly mundane: No magic, psionics, supernatural or spell-like abilities, divine power, eldritch power, innate abilities, or magic items will function in any way inside the sphere.
Any creature that depends on magical energy to survive must make a fortitude save DC 30 each round while within the sphere or die instantly. Even if it makes the save, it still takes 10d6 damage and may die anyway.
Any creature which depends on magic to move will be grounded within the area. This includes flying creatures whose bodies cannot mechanically support flight. Examples include winged humanoids and most dragons.
Any pre-existing effects are completely suppressed. Depending on the effect, it may or may not resume upon leaving the area of effect (treat as anti-magic shell for "restartability" of effects)
Any creature killed within the sphere goes directly to the appropriate afterlife for its spirit: no contingency, clone, automatic-resurrection, or any other similar magic will take effect.
The caster must have all spell-slots full and ready. If the caster has psionic abilities, he must have all points available. If any spells have been cast or any points used, the spell simply fails.
The sphere of mundane-ness gradually contracts at a rate of one-half of an inch per year. Therefore, the sphere takes 2400 years to disappear completely. It cannot be dispelled, disjoined, nullified, moved, or altered in any way once it is in place.

Krystal grimaces

This looks nasty, Dad...

Exachix
2006-12-17, 10:37 AM
Lorrian begins to poke around.

Exachix looks up at Krystal, before shifting to hybrid and looking at the book.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 10:41 AM
Myobi finds the third clue, or at least... where it should have been. In an old journal of the head evil spell-weaver, there is a section that appears to be detailing the attack on the king.

A large number of pages have been obviously cut from the book. And worse, there is a note. Written on an unidentifiable parchment in a fine, flowing script, it reads:

Earl Fenric,

Congratulations on both your recent promotion, and the one soon to come. I invite you and your friends to my humble home so we can discuss maters of import for our two realms.

Strahd

P.S. I do hope that you do not mind if I bring your little vampiress-friend here first. I do so love seeing the latest attempt at curing that which can never be cured.

Myobi looks up at Fenric

Dear... you really need to look at this!

Exachix
2006-12-17, 10:50 AM
Exachix looks over at Myobi and looks at the parchment.

Lorrian continues to look around.

Penguinizer
2006-12-17, 10:53 AM
George is going through the book shelves, in hopes of finding more spell books.

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 10:54 AM
Phoenix walks calmly into the room. She takes a look at Krystal and moves to see what she is reading. The blood drains from her face.
"Uh...oh gods."

Phoenixineohp walks over to Myobi. She reads the note puzzled.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 10:56 AM
Fenric shudders

Go there?? Somehow, I'd really rather not.

Fenric tilts his head

But I don't have any vampire friends...

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 10:58 AM
Phoenixineohp draws her fire up around her.
"A. How did he know you would get it? And that is written in present tense. B. Bring her there first? Her? Who is it?"

Penguinizer
2006-12-17, 10:58 AM
Well, the information of the person who wrote this must be out of date.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:00 AM
Exachix's eyes close as he begins to think.

"Female... Vampiric... That would mean someone who had died... so unless someone here is a vampire and we don't know about it, we're in trouble. No, scrap that, we may be in trouble anyway. I can tell you it's not Myobi or Krystal. Lorrian we re-generated from that state not too long ago..."

He mouths ineligable words, some elvish, some vulpine, some Draconic as he thinks.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:00 AM
Fenric frowns at Pxp's very good points and looks at George

I've been Earl for about a week now. Either Strahd had some pretty awesomely accurate prophecy, or this was done very recently...

Fenric looks around the room to see if there is anything obvious.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:03 AM
Within her poking about, Lorrian finds a mirror, she looks into it and her face turns confused, intruiged and shocked at the same time.

"Urm..."

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:04 AM
"Lorrian?" Phoenixineohp trails off looking around the room and at her.
Phoenix puts her fire up.
"Say, uh. What are you going to do with that spell?"

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:07 AM
Myobi and Fenric also turn to look at Lorrian

cured what can't be cured...

Krystal pulls a sour face

I'm going to keep it, of course... but do you see the backlash that thing has? Aside from all the other nastiness, taking a month off without spells is not my idea of fun.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:10 AM
Exachix looks at Pxp. "The Girl whom you teleported here. Lorrian Zephyr." He looks at the note again, before turning around to look at Lorrian.

Suddenly, Lorraian screams as a selection of hands come out of the mirror, she doesn't move her arm fast enough so, naturally, it's grabbed, And she starts to get pulled into the mirror.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:13 AM
Fenric's eyes go wide

Lorrian!

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:14 AM
"That wasn't a question about WHO she was." She watches as the mirror pulls at her.

"As much as it interests me, even I think that thing is too nasty." Phoenixineohp motions to the spell. Then her attention is caught by Lorrian.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:16 AM
The grip from the hands tightens as the they pull her into the mirror, her left arm becomes free and reaches out, but only before a hand grabs onto it again and pulls in through along with her head.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:19 AM
Krystal shrugs

It's not that nasty, and I could see where an utterly magic-dead refuge might be useful to have in Town.

Krystal looks at Lorrian

Oh dear

Fenric and Myobi hurry over to where Lorrian was

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:21 AM
"That won't do much. He's taking her like it or not. It will probably hurt less if you don't fight it or piss him off... And we are invited, so we will get her back." Phoenix stands and crosses her arms. Phoenixineohp looks very uncomfortable.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:22 AM
Exachix swears in elvish, vulpine, Draconic, and a little bit of Shadow-common, before going over to the mirror.

"So, now we know what he meant."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 11:24 AM
Deadly wakes up and looks around in confusion I should really start paying attention...

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:25 AM
"Hey, some of us understand those languages." Phoenix says in mock shock. Phoenixineohp glares at her and drops her fire. She looks at Exachix.
"I'm sorry. Lets get going. I'm sure she will be okay."

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:27 AM
Fenric taps on the mirror, which is now quite solid.

It looks like we get to walk, though... We have to earn her return.

Krystal comes over and hugs Exachix

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:30 AM
Exachix glares at the mirror, slowly regaining calm, taking deep breaths. He wraps one arm around Krystal, his face saddened.

"I lost her once. I'll be damned to lose her again."

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:32 AM
"Huh. I've never met him. I'm looking foward to this." Phoenix grins.
Phoenixineohp finishes looking around the room. "Anything else here you need?" She pockets a few things of interest to her.

Exachix
2006-12-17, 11:34 AM
((I am very very sorry. I have to help in a carol concert, so I can't be back until later. Sorry guys! And then i'm away for a while! Sorry very much. Fen can NPC any of my guys/gals))

Fenric
2006-12-17, 11:38 AM
Fenric shakes his head, his pockets already carrying the things that caught his eye.

I believe we are done here... Let's get going.

Fenric leads the way back out of the castle and back to the manor house.

(( I also am done for the majority of the day. Sunday is a family day for us, and I've already overstayed my welcome at the computer.

The set-up is complete now, though, and I'm going to buy the new 3.5 edition Castle Ravenloft sourcebook today.))

AmberVael
2006-12-17, 11:39 AM
((Wait, you mean I just got on and now I cannot do anything? Curses!))
Aesa looks over the book with the spell 'Mundane' with great interest.

Penguinizer
2006-12-17, 11:44 AM
George grabs the most interesting spell books, storing them in his Bag of Holding. And the continues to followe Fenric.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 11:45 AM
((Perfect, I was starting to panic, trying to figure out how to get everything done and still be here for all the fun...))

Deadly follows, whistling happily

phoenixineohp
2006-12-17, 11:46 AM
((Oooo. I'm jealous! And...scared. O_O))

On their way out Phoenix grabs the mirror and looks it over. Phoenixineohp sides up next to her.
"I really thought you would be more upset, since you know.. how..." Phoenix takes the mirror by the handle and smashes it against the stone wall. The face breaks into a many pieces. Phoenixineohp stares at it.
"Oh."
Phoenix tosses the handle away and keeps walking. Phoenixineohp stands there looking at the pieces and her friend walking away. She turns and waits for everyone to leave the room, then steps back in. A blast of fire can be seen from the hall. Terrible heat floods out of the room as Phoenixineohp walks back out. She shakes some ash off herself and then resumes walking after the group.

Fenric
2006-12-17, 06:27 PM
Fenric leads the uneventful way back to The NorZilliar Manor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28439&page=6) to examine the evidence and decide on a plan.

DarkHunter
2007-01-19, 10:12 AM
Six figures appear in the main audience hall in a burst of magic.

Those bird-women were most thorough... I think we will abandon this site now, as it has little purpose any longer. Go check the secret vaults to see what may be recovered. I shall fetch my personal effects from my own. Return in no more than an hour.

The five weavers bow and disperse, while their master dimension-doors up to a high tower. An hour later finds the six in the chamber again.

I shall set up a new fortress in the mountains near the town, meanwhile I want you to gather those of the brothers who survived and take them to the mirror land. There you shall capture all of the mirror doubles of yourselves and Fenric's miscellaneous relations, and bring them to me.

The five weavers bow and vanish. Their master disappears shortly after.