PDA

View Full Version : (yet another) Community Worldbuilding!

LordChaos13
2013-08-03, 11:57 PM
yes, it is time for another world-building of epic proportions! (maybe)

I will be your Omnipotent RulerThread Collater and the guy suggesting all the things to vote on initially.

Rules:
I will post a vote with 2+ options, A week later or whenever I believe we have enough votes (whichever comes first) I will close voting and tally thing
At any time you can suggest a new option to be voted on, like say an Ice Biome when voting between Mountain and Plain Biomes.
You can add in bits and pieces of Canon (which are considered fact unless it directly interferes with the voting or another more popular bit of Canon) in the following format

Canon stuff:
Words here

So, to kick things off let us begin

How the world was made:
1) The Creator was born from nothing and shaped it into Everything.
2) Multiple Gods from another place arrived and began making stuff
3) Multiple gods formed from nothing, each one representing a specific aspect of Existence
4) The world is shaped by the belief of the sentients. They formed themselves and then around them came Creation. Humans formed plains, Elves forests etc.

Onto the voting

Sabeki
2013-08-04, 12:09 AM
Going with 4.

erictheredd
2013-08-04, 01:35 AM
I'm going to have to go with 2. number 4 feels like a bandwagon idea that robs religious systems in worlds of meaning. And if we focus on creation we may as well have some history on the creators.

Alexkubel
2013-08-04, 02:45 PM
2 sounds like the community here.

Sergeantbrother
2013-08-05, 01:53 AM
2 is the option I like most

Thunderfist12
2013-08-05, 09:18 AM
#1: monotheistic worlds are usually very different from standard D&D worlds, especially if that god is all-powerful.

ArlEammon
2013-08-05, 08:15 PM

Two seems good enough for me.

The Witch-King
2013-08-06, 01:54 AM
I vote for option 3.

D20ragon
2013-08-06, 09:01 AM
Option 2.
Because it leaves possibility open for a cosmos from whence the Gods came

http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg (http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm)

Malachi Lemont
2013-08-07, 10:49 AM
Option 2 seems like a good place to start - if the Gods came from another place, it begs the question- who created them? Unanswered questions always make for the best stories.

Newcomer
2013-08-07, 05:40 PM
2 seems pretty close to a consensus, and I slightly (but only slightly) prefer it to the others at the moment. So I vote 2.

Suggestion for further voting: did all of the gods come from the same place, at the same time? Perhaps a few came at first, but more gods arrived at a later time from a different place, creating a bit more tension/conflict in the pantheon.

Sergeantbrother
2013-08-07, 06:20 PM
2 seems pretty close to a consensus, and I slightly (but only slightly) prefer it to the others at the moment. So I vote 2.

Suggestion for further voting: did all of the gods come from the same place, at the same time? Perhaps a few came at first, but more gods arrived at a later time from a different place, creating a bit more tension/conflict in the pantheon.

What is the gods are wizards from another plane who started creating this universe as some kind of utopia to rule over? Then perhaps the wizards either started to disagree and eventually became enemies, or their original creator wizards had rivals from their home plane who discovered what they were doing and broke in to interfer.

LordChaos13
2013-08-07, 10:04 PM
So two seems to pass as an overwhelming majority

So we have a Blank Slate, then an unknown number of beings step through into the new world
But how many are there?

Number and theme of the initial Gods:
a) 9 Gods, one for each Alignment
b) 4 Gods, one for each of the 4 states of matter (the elements, liquid solid, gas and plasma)
c) 3 gods, A trio representing 3 founding principles (eg. courage, wisdom, power but not necessarily those)
d) X Themeless gods, X is a second vote for an actual number
E) option A + Gods of natural phenomena eg wind water ice

As always feel free to suggest more

Sergeantbrother
2013-08-07, 10:07 PM
I vote for d, I would prefer themeless gods who have complex personalities.

ArlEammon
2013-08-07, 10:46 PM
I vote for d, I would prefer themeless gods who have complex personalities.

Uh, E?
Multiple gods of Natural Phenomenon plus one god of each alignment.

For instance, Air, Earth, Wind, Water, Thunder, Ice, etcetera + Lawful good, Lawful Evil etcetera.

Meeky
2013-08-07, 10:57 PM
Myself, I'd go with D, if by "Themeless" you mean "Deities who don't necessarily prescribe to a specific alignment but are instead representative of broader ideologies such as Strife, Order, Freedom, Justice, Honor, Terror, Hope, etc." If you'd consider those to be themes, then call this F.

Essentially, I don't see any reason to limit deity number necessarily. This world could have a nigh-limitless number of deific spirits that embody certain aspects of the spiritual realm. Such ideologies as those given can be interpreted in a ton of different ways; Strife, for instance, could simply be construed as suffering, but it could also be construed as the process through which people and societies develop; societal evolution if you will. Justice could be true, real justice, but it could also be harsh and sometimes meaningless revenge.

In short: Use ideologies, use these higher concepts, but purposely refrain from giving the deities an alignment. Leave it ambiguous. That's my vote.

Malachi Lemont
2013-08-07, 11:07 PM
I would like to combine C and D, but mostly D. I think a trio representing three distinct values would sort of act as the leaders of the world - and I also think having lots of minor deities (no specific number) with personalities would add flavor to the world.

Malachi Lemont
2013-08-07, 11:08 PM
In short: Use ideologies, use these higher concepts, but purposely refrain from giving the deities an alignment. Leave it ambiguous. That's my vote.

Precisely.

LordChaos13
2013-08-07, 11:29 PM
Please note these are the INITIAL gods.
More could arrive, be born, ascend etc.
Think the Titans from Greek mythology not Hercules or Zeus

Amblehook
2013-08-08, 12:17 AM
Please note these are the INITIAL gods.

I would then like to throw my support behind option 3. As to the specifics of those three, I'm still unsure. Perhaps it could be two deities representing the extremes of an ideology and the third as a neutral balance.

Meeky
2013-08-08, 12:34 AM
Oh, these are just the INITIAL gods?

In that case, yeah, Option C all the way. The infinite number of unique but lesser deities can come later; give us a lucky number. Three overdeities.

Thunderfist12
2013-08-08, 11:38 AM
C is my favorite. Reminds me of the three godesses from Legend of Zelda.

Newcomer
2013-08-08, 12:52 PM
Voting for d, and I think a number between 5 and 7 sounds about right. I like the whole thematic stuff, but as beings coming from a different place, I don't feel like they should initially "represent" an aspect of the world. They might grow into certain portfolios, perhaps, but I like the idea that the initial gods didn't exactly have a grand plan for the universe.. they just started wielding their (newfound?) powers.

D20ragon
2013-09-07, 05:54 AM
Option c,but more gods later on.

Shyftir
2013-09-08, 02:18 AM
C
Yes, three gods but make them fit some other form of alignment.
Light, Darkness, and their child Shadow maybe?

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-24, 11:59 PM
I say C, Strife, Anguish and Sorrow (synonems I know). They
created a world which they could oppress

bryn0528
2013-09-25, 04:48 PM
Option B is my initial favorite, especially if it avoids just being a direct facsimile to the classical elements (fire for plasma, earth for matter). But, it seems at this point it seems that C is the winning vote, so I would like to suggest that the founding principles each represents a similar outlook. Actually, I like Matter (the physical), Thought (the abstract), and Fortune (the indifferent) as founding principles, so let's just go with that.

tl,dr; C.

LordChaos13
2013-09-27, 09:43 AM
Wow I totally forgot about this :smallredface:
I must have accidently deleted the subscription and didnt check on it because I rely on subs to remind me

I'll tally the votes after I try and find my notes

Thunderfist12
2013-10-23, 06:56 PM
... You forgot about the thread again, Lord Chaos.

LordChaos13
2013-10-23, 07:02 PM
That really is a problem for me isnt it. At least I kept the sub?

Alright I always was better at winging it.

So C seems to have won.
We have 3 Gods stepping through from X into a blank world.
What do they represent?

a) Law, Chaos, Balance
b) Good, Evil, Balance
c) Charisma and Leadership, Personal might and the Knowledge of how to use both effectively
d) Any other suggestions, feel free

Thunderfist12
2013-10-23, 07:06 PM
A. I vote for A.

Edit: Woohoo! First on page 2!

D20ragon
2013-10-23, 07:07 PM
I like c,for it's unique-ness.
woohoo,first on page 2! aww,I was gonna say that.

Benthesquid
2013-10-23, 07:08 PM
D) Plant, Animal, Fungus.

DMwithoutPC's
2013-10-27, 11:18 AM
D:1. the concrete world
2. the abstract world
3. life

LordChaos13
2013-10-27, 11:24 AM
I'm going to need a tiebreaker here

We have 1 vote each for 4 different options

Alexkubel
2013-10-27, 11:28 AM
can I say A

LordChaos13
2013-10-27, 11:37 AM
Yes you can. though I really dislike leaving something down to a single vote so Imma leave this open another 2 days. If no-one else votes or it is still A then I'll move onto the next round