PDA

View Full Version : General ideas for a gish build

Grunker
2013-08-04, 04:33 AM
Hi there all. I'm planning a Gish build and would like to know if I've missed some cool stuff that would fit this particular build well. We're level 13, and so far the plan is:

Wizard 4/Crusader 1/Runesmith 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 7

The plan is to go deep into Power Attack and chiefly sacrifice spell slots via Jade Phoenix Mage for combat (so more a Might build than a Magic one).

Among other things, I've been searching for a way for this build to use Arcane Wrath with a Martial Strike AND deliver touch spells through its weapon on the same turn. Duskblade can't, 'cause it uses a Standard action for Normal Attack + Touch Spell. Raumathari Battle Mage can do it, but only 4 times per day even on max level of its prestige class. Arcane Wrath is a Swift action, so it needs to be a way which, like the Battle Mage, can Channel the spell as a free action.

Any suggestions are welcome however :)

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-04, 06:25 AM
Spellsword can channel as a move action. It's limited use per day though.

Darrin
2013-08-04, 08:01 AM
Smiting Spell (PHBII). Channel a touch spell into a melee attack, +1 spell level.

Glyph Seals (MIC) attached to your melee weapon can also turn them into a spell-storing weapon.

Grunker
2013-08-04, 08:16 AM
Spellsword can channel as a move action. It's limited use per day though.

True, but limited to /day on top of that spell progression makes it really suboptimal.

Smiting Spell (PHBII). Channel a touch spell into a melee attack, +1 spell level.

Glyph Seals (MIC) attached to your melee weapon can also turn them into a spell-storing weapon.

Smiting Spell still requires the spell to be cast. That makes it strictly worse than other options, and with a +1 spell level on top, unfortunately.

Glyph Seals look cool, but unfortunately require a standard action to activate.

Darrin
2013-08-04, 08:33 AM
Glyph Seals look cool, but unfortunately require a standard action to activate.

It's a standard action to key the seal. Once the spell has been cast, it activates either as a free action (opening a pocket to get ammo/spell components) or by some other creature as if it were a glyph spell. If you key the seal on your melee weapon and use the condition of "touched by any creature other than me", then the spell triggers whenever you hit another creature.

Grunker
2013-08-04, 10:57 AM
It's a standard action to key the seal. Once the spell has been cast, it activates either as a free action (opening a pocket to get ammo/spell components) or by some other creature as if it were a glyph spell. If you key the seal on your melee weapon and use the condition of "touched by any creature other than me", then the spell triggers whenever you hit another creature.

Oooooh, that's awesome, thanks. Will definetely be buying some of those. Hmm. It's still only 1 spell per combat though, unless I carry more glyphed weapons/use a standard action to switch glyphs. Right?

Darrin
2013-08-04, 11:58 AM
Oooooh, that's awesome, thanks. Will definetely be buying some of those. Hmm. It's still only 1 spell per combat though, unless I carry more glyphed weapons/use a standard action to switch glyphs. Right?

There's nothing in the item description that says you can't key multiple Glyph Seals to the same weapon. You could even key them to something like, "The second/third/fourth creature to touch this weapon other than me".

Another option would be attaching Glyph Seals to shurikens, arrows, or crossbow bolts, which could be drawn as free actions. You might run into a proficiency/improvised penalty for those, unless you designed your build around throwing shurikens or something like that.

Hmm. I'm still trying to think of a way to get Smiting Spell to work, but the best I can come up with is dip into Holy Liberator, Smiting Spell + Battle Blessing, and then Geomancer's Spell Versatility to cast your arcane spells as if they were swift-action paladin spells. But it may be easier to just take Spellsword 4.