PDA

View Full Version : Devmaar is Designing a System (WIP)

Devmaar
2013-08-04, 06:12 AM
So, the other day I make up a simple little rpg to pass the time with my girlfriend, as I often do. Later looking back on it I thought "I liked how that worked, I think I'll work on this as my next project to get seriously into for a few days then never finish". Now I've actually started working on it though I've realised it seems a lot more doable than my other projects, so I've decided to post it here in the hopes that making it public will encourage me to keep working on it.

First things first, yes I'm aware it's not the most original game ever, but I don't think it's entirely derivative either. Secondly There is a lot still to be done so I present:
To Do

Add the 4 lists that are supposed to be in the Core Rules
Create a 'Fantasy Supplement' with rules for magical stuff
Create a 'Sci-Fi Supplement' with rules for hi-tech stuff
Create a 'Horror Supplement' with rules for otherwordly things beyond our ken
Await suggestions from my adoring fans :smalltongue:

The supplements come in order of how much I want to play them, and I'll be revising early sections while working on later ones.

Without further ado, the (incomplete) Core Rules! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AQUQhZTqqtP2wAdDNwkqXisHd1GTKKgBa5oit58SnUI/edit)

Vath_The_Spooky
2013-08-04, 06:44 AM
Seems interesting if a bit oversimplified. Sometimes a little more rules complexity can give you the foundation to do original things. Here's what I note immediately.

If the Number of actions is based on Speed then Speed basically becomes a GOD stat. I would consider locking the number of actions/ turn for everyone at 2-4 with an option to increase them as a Benefit, one that is more expensive each time it is taken.

Applying some Kind of cap to Skill Ranks / level would probably be wise, otherwise someone could put all 20 skill points into one skill and become a very strange one trick pony. While most wouldn't put all their eggs in one such basket, I feel its a good idea to discourage this type of play from the start.

The Mental stats (Charm and Wit) don't seem obviously useful without additional rules. Maybe include a description of what they do for a character in any style campaign right under there. For example:

Wit is a characters ability to think quickly on their feet and come up with clever solutions. Players roll a die equal to their wit die as a bonus on many Skill checks.

Charm is how personable and communicative a character is. Players roll a charm die when initially meeting a new NPC, and the GM bases their initial impression on that roll. 1-3 Unfriendly, 4-6 Indifferent, 7-9 Friendly, 10-12 Very Friendly.

Those are just rough ideas though. I'm always rootin for other amateur game designers! Subscribed.

Devmaar
2013-08-04, 07:05 AM
Responses in bold

Seems interesting if a bit oversimplified. Sometimes a little more rules complexity can give you the foundation to do original things. Here's what I note immediately.

The core is deliberately simple, the genre supplements will have more complex rules

If the Number of actions is based on Speed then Speed basically becomes a GOD stat. I would consider locking the number of actions/ turn for everyone at 2-4 with an option to increase them as a Benefit, one that is more expensive each time it is taken.

This did concern me but I wanted Speed to grant some action advantage, what do you think of not being able to take the same action more than once?

Applying some Kind of cap to Skill Ranks / level would probably be wise, otherwise someone could put all 20 skill points into one skill and become a very strange one trick pony. While most wouldn't put all their eggs in one such basket, I feel its a good idea to discourage this type of play from the start.

There aren't levels as such (note to self: you forgot to put in the advancement rules:smalltongue:) I think this is discouraged by the flexibility you'd give up by doing this, also it will cost more AP to learn a new Skill than improve an existing one, so players are rewarded for spreading out their initial points. Still, maybe no more than 1/4 starting AP on one Skill, like with Benefits.

The Mental stats (Charm and Wit) don't seem obviously useful without additional rules. Maybe include a description of what they do for a character in any style campaign right under there. For example:

Wit is a characters ability to think quickly on their feet and come up with clever solutions. Players roll a die equal to their wit die as a bonus on many Skill checks.

Charm is how personable and communicative a character is. Players roll a charm die when initially meeting a new NPC, and the GM bases their initial impression on that roll. 1-3 Unfriendly, 4-6 Indifferent, 7-9 Friendly, 10-12 Very Friendly.

Charm and Wit are mostly useful for skills, also Wit becomes more useful in a game where technology is important and Charm is the key attribute for magic. I think I will add a basic NPC reaction table along those lines though

Those are just rough ideas though. I'm always rootin for other amateur game designers! Subscribed.

Thank you :smallbiggrin: I appreciate the feedback and support.

I should have the Core Rules completed today and from then I'll be open to suggestions of things to add to my Examples lists :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2013-08-04, 11:59 AM
I've implemented those changes, added some Skill examples (and one more Benefit) and started the Equipment list. Are there any other comments?

I'm trying to restrict the core rules content to things that either fit in in a modern day setting or fit in more than one of the other genres I'm planning, which is why there'll only be modern equipment.

Vath_The_Spooky
2013-08-04, 02:05 PM
Giving it a second read through real fast and I'll have more Constructive Criticism later but here's what I catch in a brisk go through:

Under Secondary Attributes: "The fatigue rule"
For every turn beyond this they take a cumulative -1 to all rolls until they rest for at least long as they were undergoing the activity.

Addition Mine.

You should Clarify how the Gifted Benefit and Flawed Drawback work, since everywhere else in the document the stat represents the dice you roll. The way these are worded, getting a +1 on my 12 brawn would mean I now get to roll a 13 sided dice? I think you mean it to say that my brawn checks are 12+1 from then on out, and the text should reflect that.

As for Speed/actions limiting the variety of the actions is a good start, but not all actions should be limited. It certainly makes sense for a faster combatant to be able to swing a melee weapon or punch more often, but Speed shouldn't affect the number of times you get to things not directly related, like no matter how fast you are you can only cast one spell per turn, or fire a gun this much because of recoil and the reload rate.

Devmaar
2013-08-04, 02:25 PM
Giving it a second read through real fast and I'll have more Constructive Criticism later but here's what I catch in a brisk go through:

Under Secondary Attributes: "The fatigue rule"
For every turn beyond this they take a cumulative -1 to all rolls until they rest for at least long as they were undergoing the activity.

Addition Mine.

You should Clarify how the Gifted Benefit and Flawed Drawback work, since everywhere else in the document the stat represents the dice you roll. The way these are worded, getting a +1 on my 12 brawn would mean I now get to roll a 13 sided dice? I think you mean it to say that my brawn checks are 12+1 from then on out, and the text should reflect that.

As for Speed/actions limiting the variety of the actions is a good start, but not all actions should be limited. It certainly makes sense for a faster combatant to be able to swing a melee weapon or punch more often, but Speed shouldn't affect the number of times you get to things not directly related, like no matter how fast you are you can only cast one spell per turn, or fire a gun this much because of recoil and the reload rate.

Thanks for catching the typo :smallsmile:

I've reworded it, better?

That's the sort of thing I was going for originally, I'll think about the wording

Cheers :smallsmile: