PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Prehistoric/Barbarian campaign settings

Yora
2013-08-04, 06:58 AM
I am looking for ideas for my barbarian campaign and want to read up on some other settings that are out there, that go insto a similar direction.

Hyboria and Dark Sun are probably the two big obvious candiates. Any other settings you could recommend me to look into? The main requirement is simply a society that is predominantly based on the domains of minor local kings and chiefs, without any (or just a few) centralized states or empires.

Arbane
2013-08-04, 02:15 PM
There's also GURPS Stone Age (maybe a little too prehistoric?), and d20 Conan.

Grinner
2013-08-04, 03:42 PM
What sort of barbarism are you going for? There are many sorts of "barbaric" cultures throughout history. The Fertile Crescent is called the Cradle of Civilization, but the Mesopotamian cities were literally built from mud. The Celts had their rich mythology, and the Mongolians were renowned for their horseback raiders.

Yora
2013-08-05, 03:30 AM
I am looking for all kinds of fantasy settings that can give me ideas for what a prehistoric setting could be like. :smallwink:

Arbane
2013-08-05, 03:59 AM
I am looking for all kinds of fantasy settings that can give me ideas for what a prehistoric setting could be like. :smallwink:

Some books on archaeology might be a better source than fantasy, really. Or get a few books on Bronze Age cultures, change a few names, and make all the monuments ten times taller and filled with ninjas.

Yora
2013-08-05, 04:20 AM
I already know real world history. What I am looking for is fantasy worlds based on that.