PDA

View Full Version : Calculating V's staying time in Hells.

ghoul-n
2013-08-04, 07:58 AM
The first fiend has a total of 1235 seconds of hold on him. If we presume that each round lasts for 6 seconds, it gives him roughly 206 rounds total.

Round 1: Order tries to figure out if they heard anything, fiends move V near the TV.
Round 2: Roy swings at the Gate.
Round 3: Roy attacks the Gate again and succesfully breaks it.

The hallway till the 'ambush' part looks like approx. 150 feet long, or even shorter really. Add another 50 feet for the part of the hallway 'till the trapped door, then 100 feet for enchanted hallway. With 20 feet speed and run x3 they can make it outta from the Gate to the sarcophagus in 20 seconds, that makes another 4 rounds.

Round 4: They move away from the Gate chamber, Haley is fastest (and Belkar is being carried), so she moves back to pick up Mr. Scruffy.

Round 5: They run through the enchanted hallway and all the way back to the 'ambush' hallway.

Round 6: They run through the 'ambush' hallway and up the stairs.

Round 7: They talk there a bit, at first Roy is uncertain what to do, but then all move inside the sacrophagus.

Depending on the hallways longevity it might took them 2 rounds or more to run through each, but that's unlikely.

Round 8: the pyramid goes boom.

To maintain an adequate pace (no way they all could run, explode, bluff and fight each other in just one minute) let's say that KRAKOOOM acts like the Power Word: stun, and it stuns every living creature in the area for 16 rounds with no save.

Round 25: Order moves to the rift, RC casts Disintegrate on Roy.
Round 26: Team Evil moves a bit forward, MitD attempts Bluff action.
Round 27: RC summons an elemental.
Round 28: Order starts to fight elemental, Team Evil is gone.
Round 29: they scratch it a bit moar, Haley snatches the sword from Roy, Roy tries to shoot the elemental.
Round 30: Roy smashes sarcophagus lid against summoned fiends.
Round 31: Nale drinks a potion and disarms Malack.
Round 32: Nale throws staff away, Z casts Dispel Magic.
Round 33: Malack tries to move away, Nale grapples Malack, Durkon runs for staff.
Round 34: Malack tries to cast Slay Living, Nale holds him, Malack burns and is destroyed :smalleek:
Round 35: Nale attempts Diplomacy action on Durkon, Durkon makes a full attack with staff.

So, uh. 171 rounds to go, V. Unless some other fiend asks you to stay a bit longer ofc (which they probably won't, but still).

Silver Swift
2013-08-04, 08:28 AM
The first fiend has a total of 1235 seconds of hold on him. If we presume that each round lasts for 6 seconds, it gives him roughly 206 rounds total.

Do we know whether the fiends each have to take their time in one go or if they can cherry pick 206 rounds for V to be out of the running. If not, why did they use the orange fiends claim at this point (instead of the purple one, whose claim is shorter)?

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-04, 10:36 AM

2 rounds for Roy to break the Gate.

The hallway till the 'ambush' part looks like approx. 150 feet long, or even shorter really. Add another 50 feet for the part of the hallway 'till the trapped door, then 100 feet for enchanted hallway. With 20 feet speed and run x3 they can make it outta from the Gate to the sarcophagus in 20 seconds, that makes another 4 rounds. Multiply or divide this value if you think that the hallway was actually larger\smaller.

Then the piramid goes boom, that's round 7. Let's say that KRAKOOOM from the boom acts like the Power Word: stun, and it stuns every living creature in the area for 16 rounds with no save.

Round 24: Order moves to the rift, RC casts Disintegrate on Roy.
Round 25: Team Evil moves a bit forward, MitD attempts Bluff action.
Round 26: RC summons an elemental.
Round 27: Order starts to fight elemental, Team Evil is gone.
Round 28: they scratch it a bit moar, Haley snatches the sword from Roy, Roy tries to shoot the elemental.
Round 29: Roy smashes sarcophagus lid against summoned fiends.
Round 30: Nale drinks a potion and disarms Malack.
Round 31: Nale throws staff away, Z casts Dispel Magic.
Round 32: Malack tries to move away, Nale grapples Malack, Durkon runs for staff.
Round 33: Malack tries to cast Slay Living, Nale holds him, Malack burns and is destroyed :smalleek:
Round 34: Nale attempts Diplomacy action on Durkon, Durkon makes a full attack with staff.

So, uh. 172 rounds to go, V. Unless some other fiend asks you to stay a bit longer ofc (which they probably won't, but still).

There's no reason to believe anyone was stunned and unable to take actions when the gate exploded. It dealt damage, not stun effects.

So instead of round 34 try round 18, tops.

Geordnet
2013-08-04, 10:41 AM
Do we know whether the fiends each have to take their time in one go or if they can cherry pick 206 rounds for V to be out of the running. If not, why did they use the orange fiends claim at this point (instead of the purple one, whose claim is shorter)?

Good question... I'm guessing the immediate threat goes beyond just this Si elemental. Perhaps Tarquin is inbound with reinforcements? (The rest of his party, or maybe his army?)

Either that, or the IIFC were as shocked as anyone that the MitD convinced Xykon to not stick around and fight. They expected that Team Evil would stick around for a few minutes and survey the ruins, possibly deal with the Linear Guild, and they wanted to make sure their pawn lived through that. (By keeping him/her safely motionless under a pile or rubble.)

NerdyKris
2013-08-04, 10:53 AM
The shortest one was 3 minutes and six seconds. That's REALLY short. They would have been risking the explosion taking more than three minutes to complete and killing V if they went with that one.

Plus, as noted, they might be protecting V from something else that's about to occur.

Silver Swift
2013-08-04, 11:26 AM
The shortest one was 3 minutes and six seconds. That's REALLY short. They would have been risking the explosion taking more than three minutes to complete and killing V if they went with that one.

Plus, as noted, they might be protecting V from something else that's about to occur.

3 minutes would be plenty if all they wanted to do was getting Roy to destroy the gate. Protecting V from harm is a valid reason though.

NerdyKris
2013-08-04, 11:32 AM
I really think three minutes is cutting it close for an explosion. Roy had to hit it, talk, hit it again, stand around for a second talking, then run all the way back out of the pyramid to the room with the casket and get in it before it exploded. That would take at least 2 mins. If V came out at 3 minutes, Debris would probably still be falling.

Also, V had an extended conversation with the fiends prior to the gate even being hit. So easily over 3 minutes.

TRH
2013-08-04, 11:44 AM
Also, V had an extended conversation with the fiends prior to the gate even being hit. So easily over 3 minutes.

What makes you think that matters? Talking is a free action.

BrometheusJones
2013-08-04, 11:51 AM

Long conversations take longer than just a free action.

V even jokes about this somewhere when someone said "talking was a free action" or something and she said "well I was particularly verbose that time so yadda yadda".

Someone else Im sure knows where that is.

denthor
2013-08-04, 11:51 AM
Please note there is a flaw in our logic.

Sabine said

"LEe" sets the traps

CEdric says when to deploy the traps when his gut tells him.

We do not know who's time they are using.

NerdyKris
2013-08-04, 11:52 AM
Because that's just silly and rule lawyering. I'm going by the plot of the comic that we can see. And we see a conversation, then several actions. The conversation was quite long. I would be extremely disappointed in the writing if Rich decided to say "They can have a four hour long discussion in between actions with no impact on the situation." when it actully impacts the scene.

Long conversations take longer than just a free action.

V even jokes about this somewhere when someone said "talking was a free action" or something and she said "well I was particularly verbose that time so yadda yadda".

Someone else Im sure knows where that is.

The young black dragon. I actually was thinking of that scene when writing my post, but I don't consider it impacting the plot as V could have simply cast disintegrate and then made the statement.

Porthos
2013-08-04, 11:53 AM

So if I read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica aloud, I can do it as a Free Action?

Neat. :smallbiggrin:

Or perhaps that's a bit silly. Maybe sometimes Talking ISN'T a Free Action, after all. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html) :smallwink:

EDIT TO NOT DOUBLE POST:

We know that it's one of the 20 minute ones, though. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html)

Checking the Wiki page, it's Cedrick (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Cedrik) who is the one talking, and thus his 20 minute window of time.

ghoul-n
2013-08-04, 12:34 PM
There's no reason to believe anyone was stunned and unable to take actions when the gate exploded. It dealt damage, not stun effects.

So instead of round 34 try round 18, tops.

Haley looks kinda stunned when leaving sacrophagus. Might be just an art tho, still, it's more believable that all the stuff, including (free action) talking, took at least 3 minutes, not just one.

That conversation took a place during the wtf-moment for the Order.
Although, one of the fiends actually makes an action there, so we can add that as another round all right.

P.S.: edited it all a bit for a sake of consistency.

Katuko
2013-08-04, 01:31 PM
Ignoring how much time passed from the gate exploded and until the battle started, bottom line is that there must be at least 10 minutes - so that's 100+ combat rounds - left before V's capture ends; assuming the fiend doesn't end it prematurely for whatever reason.

In short: V can't show up for this battle unless the fiends allows him to go.

runeghost
2013-08-04, 01:54 PM
Please note there is a flaw in our logic.

Sabine said

"LEe" sets the traps

CEdric says when to deploy the traps when his gut tells him.

I can't believe I never noticed this (and NEro) before. /facepalm

Sunken Valley
2013-08-04, 02:54 PM
V has been in hell for at least 10 mins. Malack cast true seeing in 894. This is indicated by black eyes. when we see him outside the pyramid, the aura has worn off. Assuming the order spent 2 mins debating blowing up the gate, Malack's true seeing should not wear off.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-05, 12:53 AM
V has been in hell for at least 10 mins. Malack cast true seeing in 894. This is indicated by black eyes. when we see him outside the pyramid, the aura has worn off. Assuming the order spent 2 mins debating blowing up the gate, Malack's true seeing should not wear off.

Or he dismissed it. Or Rich stopped drawing the True Seeing effect once it ceased to be plot relevant. Shifts in art aren't usually a reliable indicator of anything concrete.

Porthos
2013-08-05, 01:14 PM
Or he dismissed it. Or Rich stopped drawing the True Seeing effect once it ceased to be plot relevant. Shifts in art aren't usually a reliable indicator of anything concrete.

True Seeing isn't dismissible (I checked). But the other comment, I agree with. :smallsmile:

F.Harr
2013-08-05, 02:04 PM
I can't believe I never noticed this (and NEro) before. /facepalm

You ain't the only one.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-08-05, 06:07 PM

That means you can talk almost any time, not that you can talk for longer than 6 seconds per round.