PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Weapon ability?

ojayaba
2013-08-04, 09:52 AM
Hello giants of this playground. I have an issue that is bugging me. I can NOT find a weapon ability that I'm pretty sure I've read at some point. It's called "Mighty" or something like that.
It's for bows only and allows your bow to always adjust the compound rating of the bow to match your current strength. Does anyone know where this ability might be?

Reprimand
2013-08-04, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure it was in dragon or dungeon magizine it's commonly used for archers on bows.

Try looking in one of many archer handbooks via google or just google "(the magic property) D&D 3.5"

Google is your best friend!

EDIT: not sure how credible this website is but I think I found it.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Mighty

ojayaba
2013-08-04, 09:57 AM
google has been less then friendly for this one for me. or im just dumb when using it :(
forgot about the archer guides as most people think that archers are useless :(

Reprimand
2013-08-04, 09:59 AM
See the edit in my above post, I think I found it for you. Not sure how credible the website is though.

hamishspence
2013-08-04, 10:00 AM
The Elven Greatbow:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#elvenGreatbow

comes with the property:

"Strength bonus that matches its elven wielder’s current Strength at all times"

among others.

EDIT: In 3.0, all composite bows with a Str rating requirement to use to full effect, were called Mighty composite bows.

So- you could get:

Composite longbow
Mighty Composite Longbow +1
Mighty Composite Longbow +2
Mighty Composite Longbow +3

and so forth- it wasn't a magic property.

Reprimand
2013-08-04, 10:03 AM
Effectively you could just work with your DM and pay the cost from the bow on each abilties I think it's like 100 gold per str bonus you want to add in addition to the upgrade of the composite materials.

DM's want you to play their game. Work with them!

hamishspence
2013-08-04, 10:09 AM
Interestingly, in D20 modern, a mundane weapon- the Compound Bow- comes with the ability to make full use of whatever your Str bonus is.

So- if you were Str 24 somehow- you'd get +7 to damage.

It had a much worse range than D&D bows though.

Reprimand
2013-08-04, 10:15 AM
Interestingly, in D20 modern, a mundane weapon- the Compound Bow- comes with the ability to make full use of whatever your Str bonus is.

So- if you were Str 24 somebow- you'd get +7 to damage.

It had a much worse range than D&D bows though.

Probably because people in modern times aren't as familiar with bows and recurve bows have already been invented.

ojayaba
2013-08-04, 10:35 AM
sad panda. the elven mighty bow is epic and the other site was NWN2 so dismissed as not 3.x
thanks though!

Zweisteine
2016-09-14, 09:53 PM
Normally, "mighty" is used to describe the strength bonus on a composite bow (e.g. mighty +3 composite longbow). You might be misremembering that from somewhere.

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-14, 11:06 PM
Hank's Energy Bow from the D&D Cartoon handbook had, aside from its ability to shoot projectiles of pure force, the ability to count as a composite bow that matches the user's Strength score. I have often seen it as a recommended item for archers.

LTwerewolf
2016-09-14, 11:13 PM
Probably because people in modern times aren't as familiar with bows and recurve bows have already been invented.

Composite bows are almost universally recurve bows. Compound bows are the ones with the pulley system.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-15, 05:58 AM
The bow of the wintermoon, from the MIC, does this.

So does Hank's energy bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a).

And dragonbone bows do, too. They're from the Draconomicon.

You can also use a morphing weapon to switch between Str ratings. It's a special magic weapon quality from Underdark. This requires a standard action to perform, however.