PDA

View Full Version : Good build for a Catfolk with claws [PF]

Onan
2013-08-04, 10:17 AM
For our next Pathfinder campaign I decided I wanted to play a Catfolk with the claws racial trait, and bumping them up to 1d6 with Catfolk Exemplar at first level, for flavour. I also intend to get the Tusked trait for a bite attack, as I already wanted my character to have Orc heritage anyway. Initially I wanted to go Fighter, and eventually go for Two Weapon Fighting with the Claw Blades, but I'm not sure if I want to go Fighter again.

I've had a look at Sorcerer, and the Orc bloodline seems to fit rather well what I want to do.

Another option is Barbarian, rather than fighter, and just sticking with the natural weapons rather than upgrading to claw blades.

Those are my main options at the moment, because they fit the character concept much better than Fighter, and I'm more eager to play either class. On the other hand, I don't want to gimp myself too much, and I have no experience with playing natural weapon characters. So I was hoping on some advice on the matter.

tadetpiano
2013-08-04, 11:10 AM
If you're willing to consider other classes, there are a few rogue talents related to using the claws. Vicious Claws in particular lets you use d8s instead of d6s for your sneak attack. But you seem to want something a bit more...meaty?

Onan
2013-08-04, 11:42 AM
I'm already playing Rogue at the moment, and I have two Rogue character concepts ready for my next stint as Rogue that aren't compatible with what I want to do for this campaign.

So indeed, meaty is what I want. Catfolk has a bunch of decent combat Feats, which is why I originally considered the Fighter build. But the claw blade thing is a bit finnicky. I prefer a simpler approach.

grarrrg
2013-08-04, 04:06 PM
Decide if you want to go Natural Attacks, Claw Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/claw-blades)/Manufactured, or one of each.

Option 1: Going with 2 Claw Blades is the easiest way to get extra/iterative attacks, but then you need to worry about Two-Weapon Fighting feats, which means DEX (or levels in Ranger). This can be 'fixed' by having the Agile enchantment on both claws (which greatly reduces the need for STR).

Option 2: Going with both Natural Claws means you don't need any feats to get both attacks, but it also means you don't get iteratives. But, but, with the Tusked Trait, you'll have the needed attacks for the Multi-Attack feat (which reduced Secondary natural penalties to only -2), which semi-opens you up for additional weapons as well.
This is also an easy option to maximize STR/minimize DEX.

Option 3: One 'manufactured' Claw, and one Natural. You'll need to take the Multi-Attack feat, but you'll have full Iteratives with your Blades, and can still make your other claw and bite without needing Two-weapon feats.

Here's a quick build for either option 2 or 3.
4 levels (full Bab class of your choice), Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin and Ranger are probably the best overall choices, depending on your tastes.
1 level of Sorcerer, must take Draconic bloodline. Your choice if you want to Crossblood archetype combine it with a second one.
Then at level 6, onward into Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple). While it only has 3/4 Bab, it gives +2 STR on two of the "+0" levels, which makes up for it.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-05, 02:05 AM
There are some interesting way to use Feral Combat Training feat with Barbarian City Brawler ACF from Dragon Magazine #349.

Talieth
2013-08-05, 06:57 AM
There are a numbers or racial feats that are pretty fun/usefull for a martial catfolk :

- Catfolk Exemplar (Sharp Claws) : You can take the Aspect of the Beast feat even if you do not meet the normal prerequisites. Furthermore, your catlike nature manifests in one of the following ways. You choose the manifestation when you take this feat, and cannot change it later.
Sharp Claws (Ex): If you do not have the cat's claws racial trait or the claws of the beast manifestation from the Aspect of the Beast feat, you gain the cat's claws racial trait. If you have either the cat's claws racial trait or the claws of the beast manifestation, your claw damage increases to 1d6.
- Aspect of the Beast (Claws of the Beast) :
Claws of the Beast (Ex): You grow a pair of claws. These claws are primary attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage (1d3 if you are Small).
- Nimble Striker (Combat, Catfolk) : You do not take a –2 penalty to AC when you use the Cleave feat, Lunge feat, or when you charge.
And last but not least :
Claw Pounce (Combat, Catfolk) : When you make a charge, you can make a full attack with your claws.

If you go fighter, you can add to that Feral Combat Training and some style feat.

You just need to check with you DM if the Aspect of the Beast (Claws of the Beast) feat give another 2 claw attack (in my case, we ruled it that those 2 other claw were on the feet ... and my character was built around grapple)
If Yes, you can have 4 natural primary attack from level 2. And at level 10, you get pounce ...

Psyren
2013-08-05, 08:21 AM
The obvious choice for Catfolk is Ninja; you get the Dex to fit in with a stealthy role, Cha to boost their ki pool, and natural weapons go very nicely with sneak attack.