PDA

View Full Version : Building a Pony Tank

Humble Master
2013-08-04, 02:42 PM
So I am DMing a campaign set in Equestria and one of the players wants to be a tank. He is going Gestalt Crusader 6/Druid 6 and is an Earth Pony (a homebrew race I have here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296040)). He has a magical shield that floats around him and blocks blows but was wondering what weapon he should use. Keep in mind he only can wield one hands worth of items. Thank you in advance for the help.

The Glyphstone
2013-08-04, 03:30 PM
If he has a free feat slot for EWP, the Kusari-Gama (DMG p.145) is a one-handed Reach weapon,and Reach is always a lovely thing for a tank (particularly a Crusader) to have (though less so since he can't threaten adjacent without Improved Unarmed Strike).

If not, Scimitar or Heavy Pick are the best options as far as one-handed Martial weapons go.

Arael666
2013-08-04, 06:07 PM
I have never, never, thought of playing MLP in an D&D campaign. The homebrew races of ponies are awesome. There are some bronies that takes things a little too far...

That said, I really want to see pinky pie pictured as a roguish pony and applejack as a fighter/barbarian!!

The Glyphstone
2013-08-04, 07:07 PM
I have never, never, thought of playing MLP in an D&D campaign. The homebrew races of ponies are awesome. There are some bronies that takes things a little too far...

That said, I really want to see pinky pie pictured as a roguish pony and applejack as a fighter/barbarian!!

Behold, good sir. (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/)

Arael666
2013-08-04, 08:21 PM
Behold, good sir. (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/)

Well sir, you just earned my GF's hate. Since the end of season 3 I had nothing else to watch, at least now I can read :).

gorfnab
2013-08-04, 08:53 PM
Pathfinder has ponies! (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/115547/Ponies-for-Pathfinder---Race-Book)

Metahuman1
2013-08-04, 09:00 PM
I might suggest Knight instead of Druid.

Reasons being that firstly, magic earth pony's don't really fit the settings fluff (i'm a brony, I know these things.) and second, Knight has the only aggro draw class feature in the game.

Crasical
2013-08-04, 09:40 PM
:smallconfused: I was always told that longswords where the mechanically superior 1handed weapon option?

Humble Master
2013-08-04, 09:46 PM

Reasons being that firstly, magic earth pony's don't really fit the settings fluff (i'm a brony, I know these things.) and second, Knight has the only aggro draw class feature in the game. Earth Ponies are described as having a deep magical connection to nature. Druids gain their power by being at one with nature and thus it is perfectly plausible for an Earth Pony to be a Druid.

Crasical
2013-08-04, 09:49 PM

Reasons being that firstly, magic earth pony's don't really fit the settings fluff (i'm a brony, I know these things.) and second, Knight has the only aggro draw class feature in the game.

Earth Ponies are described as having a deep magical connection to nature. Druids gain their power by being at one with nature and thus it is perfectly plausible for an Earth Pony to be a Druid.

Besides, didn't they have that one zebra mystic lady? That might be enough precedent to justify druid.

Coidzor
2013-08-04, 11:03 PM
Besides, didn't they have that one zebra mystic lady? That might be enough precedent to justify druid.

She's a zebra, not an earth pony. Also I think she'd be more of an alchemist.

Unicorns are somewhere in between bards, sorcerers, and wizards, depending upon how much emphasis they put on their magic from what I've seen. Either that or it's based upon their relative casting stats...

If he has a free feat slot for EWP, the Kusari-Gama (DMG p.145) is a one-handed Reach weapon,and Reach is always a lovely thing for a tank (particularly a Crusader) to have (though less so since he can't threaten adjacent without Improved Unarmed Strike).

If not, Scimitar or Heavy Pick are the best options as far as one-handed Martial weapons go.

Kusari-Gama were like the one-handed(light?) version of spiked chains, weren't they? So I thought they'd threaten adjacent too. :smallconfused:

dspeyer
2013-08-04, 11:14 PM
Weapons? Isn't a level 6 druid more likely to fight with her bear paws?

Manly Man
2013-08-05, 02:54 AM

Rainbow Dash is a Warblade, if you ask me.

Mcdt2
2013-08-05, 11:53 AM

Presumably using this discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206674). (Check the level 9 maneuvers)

Arael666
2013-08-05, 01:24 PM

In the comic, Dash is a barbarian (kinda fits), Rarity is a rogue, Appejack is a ranger (also fits her), Fluttershy is a druid (never saw that coming did you?), and Pikie Pie is a Bard (go figure).

But what I really want to ask OP, will you be allowed a cutie mark?