PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Goblin from the First Panel of Strip #1 Tournament I

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-04, 04:00 PM
Based on an idea proposed by martianmister (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15716703&postcount=115), we are going to have a tournament to determine the real people's favourite from the strip that started it all (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html).

And the nominees are...

:smallmad: Charging Goblin
The first character to ever talk in the entire comic.

:redcloak: Dead Goblin #1
The dead goblin behind (in front of?) Roy.

:redcloak: Dead Goblin #2
The dead goblin behind Haley's speech balloon.

:redcloak: Dead Goblin #3
The goblin that was killed by Haley's arrows.

:smalleek: Scared Goblin
The goblin that is afraid of being of being killed by Haley's arrow.

:smallsigh: Sleeping Goblin
A goblin so confident and powerful, he can take a nap in the middle of a battle just to taunt Vaarsuvius.

:smallsmile: Split Goblin
The goblin who splits in two in order to avoid Roy's greatsword.

:redcloak: Choose and perish.

RESULTS

{table]Character | Votes
Charging Goblin | 14
Dead Goblin #1 | 2
Dead Goblin #2 | 4
Dead Goblin #3 |2
Scared Goblin | 10
Sleeping Goblin | 18
Split Goblin | 21
[/table]

WINNER: SPLIT GOBLIN :redcloak: :smile:

137beth
2013-08-04, 04:06 PM
Sleeping Goblin!

Sylian
2013-08-04, 04:06 PM
Charging Goblin - I feel that he is the most developed of these characters. He starts off angry but then suddenly changes expression, thus showing us that he has more than just one emotion.

Rakoa
2013-08-04, 04:08 PM
It is a close call between Charging Goblin and Split Goblin, but Split Goblin takes it. You know you're a badass when you can maintain angry face without your lower half.

genderlich
2013-08-04, 04:10 PM
Split Goblin, easily. What creative problem solving!

sam79
2013-08-04, 04:20 PM
In a tough field, I think I have to say Sleeping Goblin. He has given more than the dead ones over the course of the comic.

Klear
2013-08-04, 04:21 PM
It is a close call between Charging Goblin and Split Goblin, but Split Goblin takes it. You know you're a badass when you can maintain angry face without your lower half.

Hmm... I was deciding between those two as well, but in the end I have to give it to the Charging Goblin. I love his impression of "goblin that is afraid of being of being killed by Haley's arrow" in the second panel.

Bird
2013-08-04, 04:30 PM
Scared Goblin. Notice that we can't see what's in his left hand -- in this horrible moment before his execution, is he even armed? With that unseen hand, he might have just been casually leaning against the wall, practicing ribbon twirling, or carrying a stinky puppy while trying to avoid getting stinky himself.

How could you do it, Haley? How could you fire at the stinky puppy goblin?

ClockShock
2013-08-04, 04:35 PM
What creative problem solving!

Creative, yes, but I feel it lacked foresight.

My vote's on Charging Goblin. Except for the untimely upgrade, this fella was demonstrating the most effective offensive strategy.

TRH
2013-08-04, 04:39 PM
Sleeping Goblin - It takes a brave goblin to sleep on the job in the middle of a battle, and doubly so when Xykon's your employer. I figure he's the OOTS version of Wally from Dilbert.

Honorable mention to Split Goblin for his lateral thinking, though. :smallwink:

Antipode
2013-08-04, 04:40 PM
My vote goes to Split Goblin: an innovator ahead of his time.

WindStruck
2013-08-04, 04:40 PM
I choose the goblin ninja. He's in there, silently observing the battlefield waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike, but you just can't see him yet.

Demolator
2013-08-04, 04:41 PM
Split Goblin because he doesn't need legs to charge at his enemies with an axe.

Mike Havran
2013-08-04, 04:49 PM
"Sleeping" goblin. He's not sleeping. V's magic granted him incomprehensible wisdom and his bolstered mind is wandering paths not meant for us to fathom.

Solse
2013-08-04, 04:54 PM
Sleeping goblin.
Also, great idea for a new tourney!

Infinite
2013-08-04, 04:57 PM
Split Goblin, not only for creative problem solving, but also because he's in midair when it happens.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-04, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm going to have to cast my vote for Sleeping Goblin.

Love your tournament, by the way! :smallbiggrin:

Chessgeek
2013-08-04, 05:14 PM
Ah yes, the tournament we've all been waiting for!

Hm... I like Charging Goblin, but Split Goblin was just brilliant.

Greatmoustache
2013-08-04, 05:32 PM
Scared Goblin
he knows he's gonna die any second. and he fears death, the great unknown. can it get any more natural than this? i doubt it. he's not a mindless minion. he fears for his life. he fears for his wife and 8 months old baby girl he's about to leave behind. and at his final moment, he thinks "is it worth it? all this pain and suffering, all this death? and for what? i just wish i could see my baby girl one last time."

and the next moment, it's all gone.

JessmanCA
2013-08-04, 05:44 PM
Sleeping goblin

ORione
2013-08-04, 05:49 PM
"Sleeping" goblin. He's not sleeping. V's magic granted him incomprehensible wisdom and his bolstered mind is wandering paths not meant for us to fathom.

I was worried for a moment that you were getting serious.

Anyway, I cast my vote for scared goblin.

Sunken Valley
2013-08-04, 05:52 PM
Sleeping Goblin is the true protagonist of this comic. The order left him alive and the whole thing is his dream. Note he is partially outside the comic. This is because he is partially outside reality. He watches his dreams but cannot interact. Thus goes the life of sleeping goblin

Ted The Bug
2013-08-04, 06:05 PM
Charging goblin, definitely charging goblin. First line, AND first character development. Boom, easy choice.

Additionally, he's what leads the Order to learn about the upgrade. Hasn't happened since.

Diadem
2013-08-04, 06:10 PM
That's interesting actually, sleeping goblin partially sticking out of the comic. I notice a lot of characters and objects do so in the early comics (following Sleeping Goblin's lead, no doubt), but none in the recent ones. In recent comics only text balloons stick out.

When did Rich stop putting people and objects outside of the frame of the comic?

Bird
2013-08-04, 06:16 PM
That's interesting actually, sleeping goblin partially sticking out of the comic. I notice a lot of characters and objects do so in the early comics (following Sleeping Goblin's lead, no doubt), but none in the recent ones. In recent comics only text balloons stick out.

When did Rich stop putting people and objects outside of the frame of the comic?
The comic has gotten more streamlined in its presentation, but The Giant still puts things outside the frame now. Check out Roy's sword poking out of the frame as recently as 895 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0895.html).

ti'esar
2013-08-04, 06:22 PM
...I wish I had this much free time.

(Charging Goblin).

JackRackham
2013-08-04, 06:27 PM
Cut in half Goblin is the obvious choice. I mean, he's cut in half and still looking ferocious.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-04, 06:35 PM
Charging Goblin. Without him the OotS would have been completely oblivious to their entry into the Third-And-A-Half Dimension. And like Wile E. Coyote running off a cliff, unless you notice you're using the 3.5 rules, they can't affect you. :smalltongue:

Super Erdrick
2013-08-04, 07:07 PM
Charging Goblin. No contest.

martianmister
2013-08-04, 07:09 PM
Sleeping Goblin all the way.

Lombard
2013-08-04, 07:10 PM
Split Goblin. I found his malice very convincing. I found myself very worried for Haley if he landed too close to her because you just knew that guy would will himself to take one last swing against the hated adventurers.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-04, 10:21 PM
I gotta give it up for Charging Goblin. :smallamused:

Vinsfeld
2013-08-04, 10:33 PM
Sleeping Goblin :smallbiggrin:

Goosefeather
2013-08-04, 10:51 PM
Dead Goblin #2 for me, please.

In a chaotic first strip, where the actual inherent nature of the universe itself is shifting around our characters, he alone remains steadfast and unflinching, as evidenced by his reappearance in panels #3 and #4. No other contestant shows such unassailable tenacity, and Dead Goblin #2 represents a refreshing blast of stability and constancy in an unreliable and evolving world. For his unfailing staunchness and dependability, he wins my vote.

mikeejimbo
2013-08-04, 10:52 PM
No love for Dead Goblin #1? He's the first defeated creature we see in the comic, establishing that the heroes are here to kick green butt and chew bubblegum, and only Elan still has bubblegum. He's in front of Roy, too, implying that Roy killed him, and showing that Roy is a true hero's hero - a fighter who gets into the frontline and smacks goblins up close and personally, the way a man should.

Rob Roy
2013-08-04, 10:57 PM
Scared Goblin - His fear of death speaks to a universality of experience, showing us that we and goblinkind are not so different after all and foreshadows later insights into Redcloak's past.

EDIT
Of course, this begs the question - are any of these character truly greater than the one true protagonist of this comic, http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/Vittles_Real/guywithahalberdiconqc4.png?

oppyu
2013-08-04, 11:08 PM
How could I choose between Charging Goblin and Sleeping Goblin? Abstain, but I'll change my vote if that jerk Dead Goblin #2 becomes a threat.

Goosefeather
2013-08-04, 11:14 PM
How could I choose between Charging Goblin and Sleeping Goblin? Abstain, but I'll change my vote if that jerk Dead Goblin #2 becomes a threat.

:smallannoyed: Heresy! Dead Goblin #2 is a beloved staple of Strip #1, and the first recurring goblin character of the entire comic!

Mighty_Chicken
2013-08-04, 11:15 PM
Charging Goblin - I feel that he is the most developed of these characters. He starts off angry but then suddenly changes expression, thus showing us that he has more than just one emotion.

Exactly. He also has an antagonizing relationship with retroactively-fan-favorite Durkon. In the first strip, just like in strip 907, Durkon's new abilities seem to confuse him. This reaction is partially caused by the Charging Goblin, who, I'd dare to say, is almost as great as a friend/antagonist/character development bringer to Durkon as Malack would be in the future.

fill-in-name
2013-08-04, 11:40 PM
I was going to say split goblin, but it looks like charging goblin was smart enough to run away after bouncing off Durkon's shield. Charging goblin gets my vote for surviving another fight

ORione
2013-08-04, 11:58 PM
:smallannoyed: Heresy! Dead Goblin #2 is a beloved staple of Strip #1, and the first recurring goblin character of the entire comic!

That's not true. He's the second recurring goblin character. Charging Goblin came back in panel 2, whereas Dead Goblin 2 didn't come back until panel 3.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-05, 12:08 AM
That's not true. He's the second recurring goblin character. Charging Goblin came back in panel 2, whereas Dead Goblin 2 didn't come back until panel 3.

We can forgive Goosefeather for making this mistake, since Charging Goblin obviously had SO MUCH character development between panels 1 and 2 that he arguably is not even the same character anymore. :smallamused:

Goosefeather
2013-08-05, 12:18 AM
Oy vey, my bad! I can only say that Charging Goblin caught me off-balance. Unlike Durkon, of course. :smalltongue:

Torrasque
2013-08-05, 01:44 AM

It is scared goblin that is the first recurring character. If you look closely you will see that it is in fact scared goblin that bounces off Durkons shield in frame 2. Obviously the tactically superior Charging Goblin has thrown both scared goblin and his own axe at Durkon instead of running into certain death himself.

Nimrod's Son
2013-08-05, 04:43 AM
How come we can't vote for the goblin ghost who's waving his fists through the wall, just above Elan's head?

davidbofinger
2013-08-05, 09:06 AM
Scared Goblin - we catch his face at the moment he realises he's, well, a goblin, whose only purpose is to be killed by a PC, and that he's about to die and be utterly forgotten ... except by forum readers with silly tastes in entertainment.

Greatmoustache
2013-08-05, 09:07 AM
How come we can't vote for the goblin ghost who's waving his fists through the wall, just above Elan's head?
it took me a while to actually understand what you meant sir.
:mitd: "goblin, what goblin?"

Needle
2013-08-05, 09:53 AM
Nice :smallbiggrin:

Sleeping Goblin stands out on the first panel, so there goes my vote :smallwink:

martianmister
2013-08-05, 04:13 PM

Don't get it. :smallredface:

Chessgeek
2013-08-05, 05:19 PM
He's suggesting that the green musical notes from Elan's lute resemble goblin arms.

Cizak
2013-08-05, 06:09 PM
I'd like to start by talking about my runners-up and how his character arc makes me vote for another character. Bear with me.

Charging Goblin probably has the most character development of them all. Not only is he the only one who talks, but he also changes throughout the comic. The last time we see him, he's not the same person he was the first time we saw him. It's hard to explain, but I feel as if he learns a little bit more about the value of life than many other of these characters. At the start, he charges in head first, not really knowing and/or caring of the dangers that lie ahead, much like how you sometimes ignore the possible negative outcomes of your actions in real life. As he runs into a roadblock though, he's made aware of how unfair and punishing life can be. You can see in his eyes just how this changes him and how his way of thinking has been shaken to the very core. In the end, he learns that sometimes you just need to slow down and take life more seriously and/or look at it from a different viewpoint. Some times are still the times for rushing in, sure, but Charging Goblin's character arc and development shows him as well as the audience the danger of living life one way all the time without an open mind to change. As Charging Goblin learns that you can't be rooted in one way of thinking, we as an audience get to think about our own life and admire just how much Charging Goblin's life has changed.

Now, why does this make me actually vote for Scared Goblin?

Simple. It's because he is a very similar character to Charging Goblin, but his arc gets across even more in fewer panels. Just look at him. No, seriously, I bet more than half of you haven't actually looked at this character and reall thought about what you've seen. Look into those eyes. Those are eyes of total and utter despair. And he's looking directly at you, the reader, the audience. All the good things I've said about Charging Goblin's character arc and how he changes from appearance A to appearance B? Yeah, Scared Goblin gets across all of that plus more in one appearance. and with one facial expression. If there has ever been anyone who's been able to claim his loutlook on life has changed, it's Scared Goblin. In the exact moment of the first panel, he doesn't just understand new facts of life, no no, he simply gets life. He understand the unfairness, the harshness, the cruelty that can be living. But he also sees all the beauty that he has experienced in the past, but maybe taken for granted. In his final(? The author wisely chooses not to show whether he lives or dies!) moments, he understand it all. I'm a bit surprised the author decided against him showing tears, but I think his face says enough as it is. You don't always need crying to get serious emotions across, and the author of this comic understand when and how you use certain expressions and emotions. Scared Goblin shows that he now understand the dangers and joys (and one of those do not exclude the other!) of life, as his life may or may not be coming to a fast end due to Haley's arrow.

So as I said, Charging Goblin probably has more development in the way that the Charging Goblin we saw at first was not the same person we saw last. But Scared Goblin gets across so much in one single appearance, and I love it when an author can make you feel so much for a character who's only present for a short time. Maybe everything with Scared Goblin could have been fleshed out even more, but what we've got is more than enough to leave any reader satisfied. Heck, maybe the author felt that he would never be able to top himself if he choose to continue with Scared Goblin, and if that's the case I totally understand. It is a beautifully written and drawn character and he deserves my vote more than any other candidate.

137beth
2013-08-05, 06:13 PM
I'd like to start by talking about my runners-up and how his character arc makes me vote for another character. Bear with me.

Charging Goblin probably has the most character development of them all. Not only is he the only one who talks, but he also changes throughout the comic. The last time we see him, he's not the same person he was the first time we saw him. It's hard to explain, but I feel as if he learns a little bit more about the value of life than many other of these characters. At the start, he charges in head first, not really knowing and/or caring of the dangers that lie ahead, much like how you sometimes ignore the possible negative outcomes of your actions in real life. As he runs into a roadblock though, he's made aware of how unfair and punishing life can be. You can see in his eyes just how this changes him and how his way of thinking has been shaken to the very core. In the end, he learns that sometimes you just need to slow down and take life more seriously and/or look at it from a different viewpoint. Some times are still the times for rushing in, sure, but Charging Goblin's character arc and development shows him as well as the audience the danger of living life one way all the time without an open mind to change. As Charging Goblin learns that you can't be rooted in one way of thinking, we as an audience get to think about our own life and admire just how much Charging Goblin's life has changed.

Simple. It's because he is a very similar character to Charging Goblin, but his arc gets across even more in fewer panels. Just look at him. No, seriously, I bet more than half of you haven't actually looked at this character and reall thought about what you've seen. Look into those eyes. Those are eyes of total and utter despair. And he's looking directly at you, the reader, the audience. All the good things I've said about Charging Goblin's character arc and how he changes from appearance A to appearance B? Yeah, Scared Goblin gets across all of that plus more in one appearance. and with one facial expression. If there has ever been anyone who's been able to claim his loutlook on life has changed, it's Scared Goblin. In the exact moment of the first panel, he doesn't just understand new facts of life, no no, he simply gets life. He understand the unfairness, the harshness, the cruelty that can be living. But he also sees all the beauty that he has experienced in the past, but maybe taken for granted. In his final(? The author wisely chooses not to show whether he lives or dies!) moments, he understand it all. I'm a bit surprised the author decided against him showing tears, but I think his face says enough as it is. You don't always need crying to get serious emotions across, and the author of this comic understand when and how you use certain expressions and emotions. Scared Goblin shows that he now understand the dangers and joys (and one of those do not exclude the other!) of life, as his life may or may not be coming to a fast end due to Haley's arrow.

So as I said, Charging Goblin probably has more development in the way that the Charging Goblin we saw at first was not the same person we saw last. But Scared Goblin gets across so much in one single appearance, and I love it when an author can make you feel so much for a character who's only present for a short time. Maybe everything with Scared Goblin could have been fleshed out even more, but what we've got is more than enough to leave any reader satisfied. Heck, maybe the author felt that he would never be able to top himself if he choose to continue with Scared Goblin, and if that's the case I totally understand. It is a beautifully written and drawn character and he deserves my vote more than any other candidate.
Would you care to add this thread to your collection of threads you have won?

WindStruck
2013-08-05, 09:22 PM
No more votes for ninja goblin? :smallfrown:

That's OK, I'm a lone wolf! :smallcool:

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-05, 11:47 PM
When do we find out which Goblin won? Are we going to have to wait thirty days , like we did for the "Dodging Game" finalist?

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-05, 11:52 PM
When do we find out which Goblin won? Are we going to have to wait thirty days , like we did for the "Dodging Game" finalist?

I think September 25th is the 10-year anniversary of strip #1, so then.

137beth
2013-08-06, 12:00 AM
That means it's more than 6 weeks away! So we can't let this die and be unnecromancable before it ends: we need more people to vote for the sleeping goblin!

Mollez
2013-08-06, 12:32 AM
Oh, come on. No love for the deadies? My favorite is Dead Goblin #3. It took at least two arrows to bring him down. Brave and determined to the last. *wipes tear*

Mollez
2013-08-06, 12:53 AM
I've decided to tally up the votes so far:

{table]Character | Votes
Charging Goblin | 10
Dead Goblin #1 | 1
Dead Goblin #2 | 1
Dead Goblin #3 |1
Scared Goblin | 6
Sleeping Goblin | 11
Split Goblin | 8
|
"Goblin Ninja" | 1
[/table]

Updated to the first page before this post. Current winner: Sleeping Goblin

Guy Incognito
2013-08-06, 12:55 AM
*gloriousness*

Well, I can't really add much to that. Personally, I would have gone for Splitting Goblin before reading this, but now? Splitting Goblin seems so bland in comparison to the tragic hero of Charging Goblin, or Scared Goblin, crushed by his own ennui.

But Splitting Goblin could still beat them both in a fight, and if the internet has taught me anything, that's the sole worthwhile measure of quality. It's how I know that Stardust the Super-Wizard is objectively a better character than Hamlet.

rs2excelsior
2013-08-06, 01:12 AM
Many of us have been looking at this from a human perspective. From how the characters spoke to us personally. But how would this scene appear to the eyes of a goblin? We see here seven fine examples of goblinkind. They were born in a village far from here, perhaps were friends in their goblin youth, but from a young age, they were raised for one thing only:

To engage the enemy in battle, whomever that enemy might be; to bathe their blades in the blood of the enemy; and to die gloriously with their axe in their hand.

Well, that's three things, actually, but goblins aren't known for their counting ability.

So, from this perspective, what do we have? Sleeping Goblin, unless he is engaging in some kind of psionic attack, is not throwing himself into the fray. Even if that is what he's doing, it's un-goblin-like, because a psionic attack will not dismember your enemies and soak your weapons in their blood. Scared Goblin is perhaps the most un-goblin-like of the lot. There is no place for cowardice among goblin-kind, especially from a lowly arrow! He should be rushing toward his death, not dreading it! Charging Goblin is perhaps engaging the most overtly goblin-like behavior of the lot, but not only does he fail to draw blood, there is strong evidence that he fled the field in later panels.

That leaves the dead goblins. Split Goblin died with with his weapon in his hand, which is good. But, on the other hand, he does not appear to be conscious of his death. Goblins are a worldly, pragmatic people that do not cotton to that kind of self-delusion. Dead Goblin #3 died by arrows. He probably never reached the enemy, and so died dishonorably. Dead Goblin #2 is closer, but there is no clear opponent to have laid him low, other than that puny halfling who probably couldn't beat a puppy in a fight. I mean, look at those daggers.*

That leaves Dead Goblin #1. He is laying dead at the feet of the most powerful melee fighter among the enemy. He alone of these goblins sought out the most powerful enemy there was, engaged him in glorious battle, and when Death reached out for him, did he panic or resist like some of his comrades? No. He EMBRACED it. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why I place my vote rightfully at the feet of Dead Goblin #1. May he serve with honor fighting at the side of the Dark One himself.

Goblin children, look at Dead Goblin #1. That is your goal. If you can be half the goblin he was in life, you will make goblin-kind proud.

*To Belkar fans everywhere: I am looking at this from a goblin perspective. Please don't slit my throat in the middle of the night. :smalleek:

Fafnir13
2013-08-06, 01:13 AM
My vote goes too:

Dead Goblin #2

Almost every goblin is out of the picture after the first panel (notable exception is angry goblin). Dead Goblin #2 is better then that. It really shows good craft when an extra is willing to go the extra mile to really make scene work, appearing in panels 3 and 4. That is great work ethic, not to mention the steller acting. Just look at the pathos expressed by the simple frown and X eyes. I suspect the director noticed as well, allowing the goblin one last appearance in panel 7 (guessing, but I doubt they could have found another goblin actor of such callibur on such short notice).

ORione
2013-08-06, 10:23 AM
My vote goes too:

Dead Goblin #2

Almost every goblin is out of the picture after the first panel (notable exception is angry goblin). Dead Goblin #2 is better then that. It really shows good craft when an extra is willing to go the extra mile to really make scene work, appearing in panels 3 and 4. That is great work ethic, not to mention the steller acting. Just look at the pathos expressed by the simple frown and X eyes. I suspect the director noticed as well, allowing the goblin one last appearance in panel 7 (guessing, but I doubt they could have found another goblin actor of such callibur on such short notice).

Given the direction the goblin in panel 7's head is tilted, I think it's Dead Goblin 3. Belkar just moved between panels.

Crusher
2013-08-06, 10:31 AM
Contortionist extraordinare Split Goblin gets my vote!

rs2excelsior
2013-08-07, 07:24 PM
Bump! Bump in the glorious memory of Dead Goblin #1!

WindStruck
2013-08-07, 07:40 PM
lol, thanks for adding my submission. :smallsmile:

One of these days he will get around to giving Elan another "free weapon" again!

Tris
2013-08-07, 10:00 PM
I love how the Split Goblin is still frowning.

Jaklefire
2013-08-08, 12:24 AM
Dead goblin #2 because he provides so much mystery
why is he dead?
Perhaps he can teach us what life really is.

Quild
2013-08-08, 08:08 AM
Reading through the descriptions I was like "omg he's forgetting split goblin". But you were not. So my vote goes to him!

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-08, 08:13 AM
Dead goblin #2 because he provides so much mystery
why is he dead?
Perhaps he can teach us what life really is.

I agree, not only this, why does he remain in the strip after all other goblin corpses disappear? Intriguing indeed

ORione
2013-08-08, 09:05 AM
I already voted for scared goblin, but I didn't give my thoughts about why, mostly because I didn't have them articulated. But now I do.

See, scared goblin is the one I relate to the most. I'm not particularly aggressive, like charging goblin or split goblin. (Granted, I'm mostly guessing about split goblin being aggressive, but that seems to be the most plausible explanation for his expression.) I'm alive, unlike any of the dead goblins. And I have insomnia, so I have trouble relating to sleeping goblin. But fear I recognize. Scared goblin is the one I empathize with the most, and that is why I chose him.

Lecan
2013-08-08, 09:24 AM
Split Goblin

He doesn't need pants for his victory dance.

aldeayeah
2013-08-08, 09:28 AM
Sleeping Goblin and his pink wig for the win.

Klear
2013-08-08, 10:35 AM
Split Goblin

He doesn't need pants for his victory dance.

Victory? What victory?

cheesecake
2013-08-08, 11:03 AM
My vote goes to Split Goblin: an innovator ahead of his time.

Ditto. He is so BA that he threw himself on Roy's greatsword. Too bad he didn't cleave Roy right down the middle, comic might of been more interesting :smallfurious:

Edhelras
2013-08-08, 12:01 PM
My vote goes to Charging Goblin, because of the funny hollow sound he makes when bouncing off Durkon.

Dissection
2013-08-08, 12:55 PM
I vote the split goblin.

zingbat
2013-08-08, 08:36 PM
Sleeping Goblin is the true protagonist of this comic. The order left him alive and the whole thing is his dream. Note he is partially outside the comic. This is because he is partially outside reality. He watches his dreams but cannot interact. Thus goes the life of sleeping goblin

This post has helped me to achieve enlightenment. It is now clear to me that Sleeping Goblin is the creative force behind this entire story, starting with Strip #1, panel #2. He didn't even know the names of the adventurers he encountered just before he slipped into blissful sleep, but his unconscious mind, freed from the shackles of waking life, did something extraordinary: it started to create. He centered his narrative on those nameless adventurers, creating for them names, personalities, backstories... From this focal point, his creative genius created an entire universe. Now he observes his universe, but does not interfere in its affairs. His only fear is that he will awaken, causing the end of all things -- his creation dying in an instant, only to replaced by another in which he is only a low-level monster about to killed.

Sleeping Goblin is the True God. May He slumber for all eternity.

DeliaP
2013-08-09, 06:05 AM
Sleeping Goblin

This post has helped me to achieve enlightenment. It is now clear to me that Sleeping Goblin is the creative force behind this entire story, starting with Strip #1, panel #2. He didn't even know the names of the adventurers he encountered just before he slipped into blissful sleep, but his unconscious mind, freed from the shackles of waking life, did something extraordinary: it started to create. He centered his narrative on those nameless adventurers, creating for them names, personalities, backstories... From this focal point, his creative genius created an entire universe. Now he observes his universe, but does not interfere in its affairs. His only fear is that he will awaken, causing the end of all things -- his creation dying in an instant, only to replaced by another in which he is only a low-level monster about to killed.

Sleeping Goblin is the True God. May He slumber for all eternity.

My theory on voting for Sleeping Goblin is that he's not actually sleeping at all. That's not V's spell, it's Sleeping Goblin's. He's actually an Epic level Illusionist (he's not really a goblin, he's not even male) and he's trapped the OOTS in an Epic level Illusion.

So everything from Panel 2 onwards for the remaining #908 strips is just an extraordinarily elaborate and mind bogglingly complicated phantasm, as Sleeping Goblin runs the party through all sorts of different scenarios in order to figure out what alignments they have. Sleeping Goblin is even interceding in the illusion from time to time, to keep it going. As O-Chul.

Kalmageddon
2013-08-10, 09:13 AM
My vote goes to Split Goblin.
In OOTS when a character dies it instantly gets "X" eyes, but he doesn't, meaning he survived and will be back sooner or later to avenge his lower half.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-12, 01:32 AM
Do we have anything like a tally yet? :smallsmile:

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 09:45 AM
My vote goes to Split Goblin.
In OOTS when a character dies it instantly gets "X" eyes, but he doesn't, meaning he survived and will be back sooner or later to avenge his lower half.

You mean like Darth Maul did in the "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" animated series? As I recall, that didn't end too well for Darth Maul or Savage Opress. Still I like the idea of a Goblin with a mechanical lower body in the shape of a spider or scorpion, showing up and declaring vengeance on Roy and the OotS, just as they are confronting Xykon. Roy and Co. will be totally confused about who this Goblin is, and Xykon will tell Redcloak and the MitD, "I feel the same way whenever this Orangescabbard guy shows up.":smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-16, 07:54 PM
I think September 25th is the 10-year anniversary of strip #1, so then.

September 25th was when a teaser for OOTS was posted. September 29th was when strip #1 was posted. Get your facts straight.

Warren Dew
2013-08-16, 08:26 PM
For his zen like aplomb in the midst of chaotic battle, Sleeping Goblin.

RabidKoala
2013-08-17, 08:59 PM
My vote has to go to split goblin. Split goblin not only showed creativity in his approach to staying safe from Roy's sword, he also showed initiative, and perseverance. He showed initiative in that he knew Roy's sword would split him saving him work but he chose to split on his own, not making others do the work for him. He also showed perseverance in his undying spirit. Sure he was split in two, but did that change his fighting spirit? No, no it did not.

I think we can all learn something from split goblin, that no matter what life throws (or swings) at us we should never give up, we should always believe that we can achieve more. So that is why my vote goes to Split Goblin

littlebum2002
2013-08-17, 10:01 PM
September 25th was when a teaser for OOTS was posted. September 29th was when strip #1 was posted. Get your facts straight.

Too bad the teaser is lost to history. Anyway, September 29 my birthday, so that's exciting news!

Mollez
2013-08-18, 11:21 AM
Do we have anything like a tally yet? :smallsmile:

Yes! Sorry, I've been slacking. Here's the tally, updated to before this post.

{table]Character | Votes
Charging Goblin | 11
Dead Goblin #1 | 2
Dead Goblin #2 | 4
Dead Goblin #3 |1
Scared Goblin | 6
Sleeping Goblin | 15
Split Goblin | 17
|
"Goblin Ninja" | 1
[/table]

Current winner: Split Goblin

137beth
2013-08-18, 11:31 AM
Come on! More people vote for Sleeping Goblin!

Nemeean_lion
2013-08-18, 11:56 AM
As much as charging goblin and scared goblin convey their feelings to the audience, I prefer to cast my vote for pure kickassery rather than character development.

Split goblin it is. If only Roy had learned that technique from his adversary and split himself in two to fly after Xykon instead of falling to his death, the story could have ended much sooner.

Timix
2013-08-19, 12:57 PM
Split Goblin

Saharo
2013-08-19, 10:18 PM
These are largely some excellent point I've seen raised here, my friends, but there are a few things I would bring to your attention which may in fact revolutionize the way we see this thread. I would call your attention first to Charging Goblin. As it has been pointed out before, he has the most character development, appearing in two panels. However, I believe his arc extends past even that point.

Take a good look at him in that second panel. Really look. Does he look familiar? He should. Look again.

Charging Goblin is Scared Goblin.

Do you see it? It's hidden, but it's clearly there! Charging Goblin and Scared Goblin are the same Goblin! At first I suspected time travel, but there are no time travel rules in D&D, so that isn't possible. Then I considered the possibilities of twins, doppelgangers, shapeshifters, or illusions, but those don't explain how Scared Goblin is in the exact position Charging Goblin is about to be in. And that's when I realized.
There is one character in the OotS universe who can predict the universe.
One small, yellow, lizard character.
I immediately thought; what could this mean? Why would The Oracle take an interest in these first moments of the comic? The answer soon became clear. The Oracle is clearly aware of the existence of the audience. He has spoken directly to us before. Clearly, he wanted to touch the beginning of the saga, be a part of the formation of the epic he is a part of. He has therefore placed his mark on that first panel by disguising himself as a goblin and adopting the appropriate pose, knowing we would someday pick up on the context clues.

It is for that reason that for my vote, I would like to vote for The Oracle.

Renneth
2013-09-06, 10:00 PM

That was beautiful. You are a wonderful human being. Stay awesome, okay?

Scared Goblin it is.

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-09, 12:21 PM
Split Goblin, as has been mentioned, does not have the XX in his eyes. He will come back in the last panel of the last strip; and kill the order to avenge his lower half in comic 9999 (there can only be 9999 comics, as the number spaces do not allow for more); thus having Rich finally beat Clevinger for "Longest Brick Joke In Webcomic History.

Sleeping Goblin will return and cast his pink spell on V's hand, just like he did in strip one; this will incapacitate V.

Scared Goblin did not die, as we never see him die; and he will reveal what is in his other hand.

On the other side of that same panel; Charging Goblin will return, beating Durkon because this is the beginning of DND version 4. The end of an era.

As OOTS began with the new dawn of 3.5, OOTS will end with the new dawn of 4.

And Charging Goblin will say as he kills Durkon: I don't know. I just feel really ... stable.

Onyavar
2013-09-13, 02:22 PM
Sleeping Goblin.

Will he ever wake up in 100 years by the kiss of the beautiful Goblin Princess (Righteyes daughter), and will they live happily ever after? So that the comic will have a happy ending. For him, at least.

hagnat
2013-09-13, 02:42 PM
Scared Goblin
he is so awesome, that Charging Goblin copied his style in the second panel

rs2excelsior
2013-09-19, 06:36 PM
So are we going to get results for this tournament?

Kish
2013-09-19, 06:39 PM
I'll cast a vote for Scared Goblin.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-19, 07:02 PM
So are we going to get results for this tournament?

To commemorate Strip #1's 10 year anniversary, the results will be revealed on September 29th.

Cuthalion
2013-09-19, 07:19 PM
Scared Goblin indeed.

rs2excelsior
2013-09-19, 07:33 PM
To commemorate Strip #1's 10 year anniversary, the results will be revealed on September 29th.

Gotcha. For some reason I thought it'd be the beginning of September. Thanks.

4here4
2013-09-24, 02:43 PM
Charging goblin. If not for his character development, then for his willingness to stare danger in the face and bravely bounce off its shield.

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-25, 03:23 PM
I vote for Split Goblin :smalltongue:

aabicus
2013-09-26, 12:42 AM
Charging Goblin. We didn't actually see him die, he may yet be alive and appear again in (hopefully) the final panel of the comic.

Muenster Man
2013-09-27, 08:22 AM
Sleeping Goblin, clearly this one is the most powerful.

Lino
2013-09-28, 03:08 AM
Sleeping Goblin is what I see when I close my eyes and try to find peace... He should be renamed Zen Goblin - he knows the sound of a tree that falls in the forest if there are no paranoid dwarf to hear it.

War-Wren
2013-09-28, 04:27 AM
I vote for Split Goblin, simply for being our first real hint of how violent and bloody this strip would become. A true harbinger for the deaths that the OotS would cause in their violent and terrible thirst for skill points (and treasure!)

smuchmuch
2013-09-29, 11:02 PM
I would like to thank this thread for making me realize the true depth of OOTS strip #1.

You see at first, I took a five second glance at the comic and though I was going to vote for split goblin, he looked ferocious and all, but as I saw the diverse arguments, I took a deeper interest into the other character, tried to understand more about their stories in those so few panels we get to know them.
And I realized. There is no goblin better than the others, all are an integral part of this scene, all contribute to it's meaning

Scared goblin knew what was coming but it didn't save him from the arrow, sleeping goblin sought escapism in sleep but while it may have made his last moments more comfortable it did nothing to change the course of his real life. Split goblin, despite knowing how outclassed he was, tried a defiant charge on Roy the toughest member of the party; he met his end so suddenly he never even realized he was dead. Charging goblin tried a more prudent charge on a less and for his prudence lived one more panel but it still failed, it was doomed so from the beginning, as scarred goblin knew, and when he realized, he became a scarred goblin. In the end their fate was all the same.

This is no mere nerdy joke about edition or roleplaying game, it's a poignant metaphor for the absurdity of the human condition. From the start we are doomed and though we all react and cope in different way, Death, like a well oiled party of adventurer will eventually get us.

Still if I truly must pick one, I suppose I might take one with wich I somewhat identify. I ask you, are we not all a bit charging goblin ?
edit: oh wait, Cizak already did that joke. and here i though i was being original. dang.

martianmister
2013-09-30, 08:51 AM
There is still one last question: Who win?

Gift Jeraff
2013-10-01, 11:06 AM
Scientists have found that the alleged "goblin ninja" was actually the spirit of Dead Goblin #3 partially manifesting into the material plane. There shall be no losers in this tournament!

{table]Character | Votes
Charging Goblin | 14
Dead Goblin #1 | 2
Dead Goblin #2 | 4
Dead Goblin #3 |2
Scared Goblin | 10
Sleeping Goblin | 18
Split Goblin | 21
[/table]

WINNER: SPLIT GOBLIN :redcloak: :smile:

Congratulations to our winner and applause for all of our contestants. Thank you for voting!!

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-09, 02:47 PM
Aww... Dead Goblin 2 was robbed