PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to make low level Artificer more interesting

kkplx
2013-08-04, 05:11 PM
Hey there

I'm about to join a fresh campaign (lvl 1 start) as an Artificer, but the lack of options in low levels is kinda annoying - low UMD, no money and few actually usable infusions with 1min casting times, as well as completely random roleplaying if you have to roll diplomacy on a d20+0 for anything you say (sorry, slightly cynical after another game). I enjoy having options, but they are severely lacking in early levels, and since the group will consist of 5 PCs it might take quite the considerable time to level.

No flaws mean starting as a human, Human means shoot crossbow for the next 2-3 levels, with a bane thrown in if we actually get to prepare for a fight once in a while.

I've looked into maybe preparing some alchemical substances, anything else you can do with 125 starting gold that makes those early levels less...random? monotone?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-04, 05:17 PM
You should have enough cash after a session or two to start making alchemical items. Also, see if you can save money on staring gear by crafting it yourself.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-05, 01:44 AM
It's may be interesting to look at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Spuddles
2013-08-05, 01:50 AM
Start with 3x gear if you craft it.

CIDE
2013-08-05, 10:01 AM

I second this. That is a HUGE boon.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 10:14 AM
See if you can buy some wands with 1-2 charges. You can power surge them to get access to tons of spells.

Also, scrolls. Load up on self crafted scrolls.

unseenmage
2013-08-05, 11:22 AM
Minor Schema's change those casting times for infusions to single standard actions. Multiple Schemas will be necessary though.

CheshireCatAW
2013-08-05, 12:23 PM

3x gear? I'm afraid this is the first I've heard of this. What is it?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 12:30 PM
You end up being able to craft your WBL of gear to start with, and with minor optimization (a single feat on your bonus feat list) you end up paying 1/3rd the market value to make equipment.

You start with a lot more stuff than normal.