PDA

View Full Version : quick advice

robertmdwill
2013-08-04, 06:54 PM
I'm starting a campaign soon, likely greyhawk, and my friend was allowed to choose the scenario and he chose that we are elves. I really dislike elves and have never played one before.

Could you guys/gals please give me tips on elf strong points. I'm looking to be one of the following.

Evil cleric male
Good cleric male
evil rogue (possibly drow escaping lolth)
evil ranger

If I can be persuasive and it's not to over powered most elves should be allowed.

Thank you very much. :)

Waker
2013-08-04, 07:09 PM
Are there any limitations as to what kind of elf you can play as? Just "normal" elves or are any allowed?

robertmdwill
2013-08-04, 07:19 PM
If I can be persuasive and it's not to over powered most elves should be allowed.

I had a slight idea for no reason to possibly be a swashbuckler.

Waker
2013-08-04, 08:17 PM
Without narrowing down what you want to play from that list, all I can do for now is provide a list of playable races. Scroll down and check out the list of all elves.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0

robertmdwill
2013-08-04, 09:00 PM
my apologies,

i'm very sure my friend isn't strict to favored classes i refined it to

neutral/good Painted elf cleric focusing on being tougher
Evil wild elf cleric focusing on ranged attacking and diversion
Wood elf ranger focusing on hit and run tactics.

Again I'm not very used to playing a character that doesn't stop axes with his chest. my last three being

Feral Human(wasn't allowed to dwarf or azurin) Totemist
Dwarf Cleric buffer
Dwarf cleric bone knight beat down

SolioFebalas
2013-08-05, 01:20 AM
If you go for
Wood elf ranger focusing on hit and run tactics, it's may be interesting to look at Elf Ranger Substitution Level in Races of The Wild p.155.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-05, 02:10 AM
If you go for , it's may be interesting to look at Elf Ranger Substitution Level in Races of The Wild p.155.

Go ranger/scout with swift hunter. It's all sorts of fun, you get to stack favored enemy and skirmish. Even better you can skirmish favored enemies that would normally be immune.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-05, 02:42 AM
I agree, swift hunter best for ranged fight, but it is a separate issue, cos u need many things to optimise it, like one level cleric dip for Travel Dvotion an so on.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-05, 04:34 AM
I agree, swift hunter best for ranged fight, but it is a separate issue, cos u need many things to optimise it, like one level cleric dip for Travel Dvotion an so on.

Not necessarily for ranged. A 1 level dip in barbarian and you can charge pounce twf. It's no übercharge, but it has it's own merits (including skills so you aren't useless outside of combat).

And there are plenty of other options to get the needed movement (though I wish they had made a ranger/rogue feat along the same lines, because working with sneak attack is a bit easier). Travel devotion is simply the easiest. There's that monk training dummy thing, a dip in swordsage for that swift action jump maneuver, some kind of psionic thing for hustle, and several other I can't think of off the top of my head. Also there are some nice options for archery that let you squeeze extra attacks out of a standard action attack (though most of them also work nicely when you get a full attack).

robertmdwill
2013-08-05, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the scout ranger now that I've read more into it. I think it'd be good to try something completely new and out of my comfort zone. So far at the moment our two person group consists of an ____elf rogue/ranger focusing on high damage and stealth and me a woof elf rogue scout focusing on hit and run drawing aggro and likely a wolf or elf hound. Not sure if the dm is allowing us two characters so I might pick up leadership if he doesn't for a tank or cleric mid game.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-05, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the scout ranger now that I've read more into it. I think it'd be good to try something completely new and out of my comfort zone. So far at the moment our two person group consists of an ____elf rogue/ranger focusing on high damage and stealth and me a woof elf rogue scout focusing on hit and run drawing aggro and likely a wolf or elf hound. Not sure if the dm is allowing us two characters so I might pick up leadership if he doesn't for a tank or cleric mid game.

"Tanks" are all but irrelevant in 3.5, and if you are looking for a cleric as a dedicated healer, let me assure you that it is unlikely to be as needed as you think. You have a party that can easily pull "special forces" style tactics, and those can be a ton of fun. There was a thread about that very topic, started by yours truely, a few years ago here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-190537.html)