PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage AoO/tripper

ramrod
2013-08-04, 07:17 PM
Hi!

I have been working on an unarmed variant swordsage for the last week.. Iv been optimising like hell... Right down to the fabric his pants are made from lol.

However, I'm also interested in a different type, I originally thought about a spiked chain aoo build and I'll be getting my teeth into it in the morning. What I'm hoping for is a bit of a starter, I have looked at all the handbooks etc already.

What race, feats, stats etc would you recommend for this? I've never built something like this before! (Unarmed swordsage is just a long way from home on this :smallsmile: )

ramrod
2013-08-04, 07:20 PM
Oh, I basically have access to everything. There are a lot of house rules but only for stopping ultra cheese and pun puns. Swordsage is actually helped along a lot by my DM, adaptive style is a free feat at lvl 4 and it is a full recover, not just one.

30 point buy, 2 flaws allowed if you need to know!

Snowbluff
2013-08-04, 07:26 PM
Improved Trip (Duh!) works with Setting Sun throws. How about some other Setting Sun tricks?

No wait, Falling Sun Strike and Distant Horizon don't synergize very well with a tripper. You can still use the throwing Maneuvers.

If you have Mercurial Strike, you can add Iaijutsu, Sudden Strike, and Sneak Attack to the damage.

Nettlekid
2013-08-04, 07:45 PM
You might like looking at the Gatling Gun Tripper build (somewhat on the Char Op forums, Google it) which is a Fighter, but I'm sure you could use a lot of it for a Swordsage. Three levels of Factotum are great for trippers because you get to add Int to all Str and Dex checks, which trips are.

Snowbluff
2013-08-04, 07:58 PM
Sandsnare from Sandstorm force a full round action to get up in dusty areas.

Defensive Throw (CW) is really good, actually. Synergizes well with Improve Trip. Would work great with Karmic/Rolimbar's.

Vae School (DotU) would let your get another hit in after nailing a person with a throw. This could lead to some craziness if you drop your weapons before tripping.

Knock Down is Much the same.

Okay. I have to do this now. "I throw you, you take a bunch of hits."

You might like looking at the Gatling Gun Tripper build (somewhat on the Char Op forums, Google it) which is a Fighter, but I'm sure you could use a lot of it for a Swordsage. Three levels of Factotum are great for trippers because you get to add Int to all Str and Dex checks, which trips are.

I was going to suggest Marshall, but Cha and int have no synery with the Swordsage. However, Factotum would give Iaijutsu as a skill.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-04, 10:42 PM
You'll want as much size (for size bonus and so you can actually throw larger foes), strength, and reach as possible. Don't let the fluff text fool you; Setting Sun was clearly created by the Incredible Hulk, not a bunch of dexterous halflings.

Using a whip to deliver the throws from afar is a fun option, and of course spiked chain works as wonderful as ever, and you can do dex to damage and get free weapon focus with it, because it's a SH weapon.

Check out Curling Wave Strike. That will let you, after throwing one guy, instead of using your bonus attack from Imp. Trip on him to trip another person you threaten.

Adaptive Style by RAW already is a full recover... I guess getting it for free is nice, though.

EDIT: If you're feat starved, a 1-4 level dip into martial rogue (UA; trade sneak attack for fighter feat progression - ie, at levels 1, 2, 4, etc...) is handy, and will also give you lots of new skills and (if you dip long enough) evasion and uncanny dodge. Of course, this will delay your maneuver progression...

herrhauptmann
2013-08-05, 01:36 PM
You'll want as much size (for size bonus and so you can actually throw larger foes), strength, and reach as possible. Don't let the fluff text fool you; Setting Sun was clearly created by the Incredible Hulk, not a bunch of dexterous halflings.

Human with Jotunbrud from PGtF (or races of faerun, always confuse them). It lets you count as large or medium in your opposed rolls for grapple/trip/disarm etc. Whichever is most beneficial.

Unfortunately it doesn't help with your reach or weapon size.
And I don't think a jotunbrud human with enlarge person can decide between large and huge. Check with your DM on that one.