PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief Advice

Hawkflight
2013-08-04, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone.

So, I'm going to be in a new D&D game soon, a heavily anime-inspired game in which magic is rare (or at least uncommon) and Tome of Battle style fighters have risen to power. I'm planning on making a Warforged Scout, using a version of Spellthief I brewed up myself (PEACH please! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15751598#post15751598)). Probably using some form of TWF, daggers, and maneuvers.

I could use advice on building this character so she can compete with the other characters, who tend towards powergaming sometimes. I was also planning on slapping on the Child and Dark templates, though I am uncertain about the latter. I also made this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216693), if it matters.

Some background: The Warforged itself is one of many build hundreds of years ago as a mage killer. After the dragons invaded and magic died out, it was put into hibernation, eventually falling into decay. In the time of the game, a mad scientist (think King Bumi from Avatar) unearthed it, and rebuilt it for reasons undecided. Maybe he was just paranoid about the return of magic to the world. But somehow, his young daughter (pre-teens) ended up dying in a tragic accident, so he put her soul in the body of the Warforged. For some reason, he had to turn her off, with the promise to turn her back on later, and he disappeared, leaving her to be awoken once more by the party.

EDIT: The game is 32 PB, starts at level 5, and uses standard WBL.

EDIT 2: http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=9641

Here's what I have so far.

Hamste
2013-08-04, 08:16 PM
I'm kind of curious why you’re playing a spellthief (even one that uses Manoeuvres) in a world where magic is rare?

Anyways at level 7 make sure that you get a ring of invisibility if you can (absorb power is massively powerful when used against buffs and a bonus to hide). Also just a minor note, you missed a line in Spell thief's absorb spell description it says:
(or use its energy to cast one of her own spells known). It should say Manoeuvres.

A lot of what I can suggest is pretty basic other than that. Make sure you have a way to get sneak attacks like hide and sneak. A three level dip into rogues to get a variant ability can be useful (The variant ability allows you to get half sneak attack damage against creatures that are usually immune but only when flanking. It is great as that means you can steal spells from just anyone who is not immune to both flanking and normal sneak attacks). Invest points in hide, move silently and tumble so you can flank and sneak attack.

Hawkflight
2013-08-06, 01:04 AM
I'm kind of curious why you’re playing a spellthief (even one that uses Manoeuvres) in a world where magic is rare?

Anyways at level 7 make sure that you get a ring of invisibility if you can (absorb power is massively powerful when used against buffs and a bonus to hide). Also just a minor note, you missed a line in Spell thief's absorb spell description it says:
(or use its energy to cast one of her own spells known). It should say Manoeuvres.

A lot of what I can suggest is pretty basic other than that. Make sure you have a way to get sneak attacks like hide and sneak. A three level dip into rogues to get a variant ability can be useful (The variant ability allows you to get half sneak attack damage against creatures that are usually immune but only when flanking. It is great as that means you can steal spells from just anyone who is not immune to both flanking and normal sneak attacks). Invest points in hide, move silently and tumble so you can flank and sneak attack.

Because we will be facing a couple of spellcasters, as well as plenty of monsters with SLAs, energy resistance, Su abilities, etc.

Anyways, bump. I might need help cheesing this build, as the DM might not be allowing flaws and I need three feats just to pull even.

Hawkflight
2013-08-08, 03:02 PM
Bump. Still need advice, especially on items.

Hawkflight
2013-08-14, 08:37 PM
Bump again.

http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=9641

Here's what I have so far.