PDA

View Full Version : Walking Toolkbox: Character help needed

Fyermind
2013-08-04, 09:07 PM
Context:
So I'm playing in a 3rd level gestalt game, and I've gotten a fairly high cheese build allowed on a few conditions:
1) I don't break the game
2) I am primarily a noncombatant
3) I focus on making other party members stronger as well as myself
4) If bad things happen to me, I probably deserve it
5) If something is too much, the DM reserves the right to say "Well that's interesting! It didn't work."

The build is Rogue // Artificer on a riddled Dragonwrought Kobold with the Flame of the Forge Archetype. I'm using the feat rogue variant, and my feats have to be either crafting or trap related. I will continue into some combinations of Trapsmith and Combat trapsmith on the rogue side.

My alignment is Lawful evil which I am interpreting as having a personal moral code that doesn't happen to cover things like torture, ritual sacrifice, and holding doors for old ladies. He doesn't like to get his hands dirty, preferring "clean kills." In fact two of my favorite skills are knowledge (religion) and profession (executioner). I used to be a professional executioner known for making a single slice with a ceremonial dagger who dedicated his (lawfully mandated) kills to dark gods he didn't really support in exchange for dark craft XP and GP. Which gets me to my point.

I can craft any wondrous item, potion, or scroll costing 1500 gp or less and requiring a caster level no higher than 7 basically for free (what are a few ceremonial sacrifices between friends anyway?) and make items of caster level 7 or lower at greatly reduced costs about 1500 gp.

What should I use it for? I'm supposed to be the party toolbox and equipment manager. I should be aiming for using about as many potions for other players as I use scrolls for myself for two major reasons, action economy, and maintaining friendships. The doubled cost shouldn't be much of an issue because short of (acceptable) cheese like casting 7th level spells at cast level 7 with Ur-priest from a scroll costing 1225 gp, I'll be able to afford the doubled cost for potions in most cases.

Of course my fellow players are also looking for suggestions for things that will help them out too. Before play starts I am allowed 30*1500gp in items made through executions, and the DM expects the possibility of many more to be very realistic. It is too dangerous to sell these items because their evil taint could attract paladins, so there will be now WBL cheesing that way.

Additionally I have an Item Familiar to grow my XP pool for crafting and four instances of a 25% reduction on costs so I can make a lot of items very cheaply. Custom items may be approved on a case by case basis but will be priced according to their strength not their spell level * caster level * constant based on activation.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-04, 10:14 PM
What are your fellow party members/soon to be best friends playing?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-04, 10:24 PM
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

I'd honestly use Beguiler or Factotum over Rogue on this character, you would get a considerably greater benefit out of either one. The Beguiler spell list especially is a toolbox containing exactly what you need for nearly any situation.

Consider picking up Effigy Master, even if you only take one level in it. You need Simulacrum on a class spell list, which can be fulfilled with a single Wizard or Sorcerer level. I'd dip Martial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) Wizard 1 specialized in Conjuration with Abrupt Jaunt, and spend your spell slots on Benign Transposition. If you use Beguiler you can take Versatile Spellcaster and spend two Beguiler spell slots to cast any spell you know of one level higher, including Wizard spells you've learned. You'll probably need your spellbook open to the spell you cast, making it useless for combat, but it will add yet more tools to your repertoire.

Fyermind
2013-08-05, 12:30 AM
There is a factotum Sorcerer (using riddled for int-based casting) so factotum is out. I think he wants to be a mailman on steroids or something. I'm not doing damage in part so that he can have fun doing damage.

There is also a erudite // psion going thrallherd who wants to take advantage of my ability to make lots of low cost equipment to gear up his followers and is happy to turn them into a sacrifice line to keep the items churning.

there is talk of the DM adding a bulky big warhulk aimed thing so our party isn't entirely squishy casters that go well with ketchup.