PDA

View Full Version : Never winter nights! (NWN) and annakolia

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-14, 02:29 PM
Hiya all at GiantITP....I was wondering if there are any NWN players out there...and for those of you who dont know what NWN is i'll tell you!

NWN: this is a PC video game based on D&D although it isent perfect its a great game for D&D lovers and video game loves alike...you choose from one of the base races (sometimes there are more depending on the world) choose a class choose skills and feats for that class etc etc...you also have prestese classes (sorry for any misspellings) and all that...best part is you can buy diamond version (recomended) then go here: http://nwvault.ign.com/cep/ download the CEP...dont worry it wont give you spyware or anything...and if you dont trust me just ask on the forum down below(if you dont have it already) anyway im ranting time to get onto annakolia :smallredface:

Annakolia CEP: sorry for the big rant there anyway...Annakolia is a gameing world for NWN and is run by my family and me...its roleplayable and friendly...kind of a good way to spend time while say...waiting for the new comic :smallwink: the DM's: (I.E Wolfgang_1066 Charissa1066 Barry_1066 Athenameter etc) are friendly and mostly active and were adding things continuously to help players :smallbiggrin: sorry for ranting like this...but i thought this might be nice for D&D players:smallwink: go to these sites for haks and forum: http://www.jubilatores.com/forum/ http://www.annakolia.org/

Crazy Owl
2006-12-14, 03:02 PM
I thought NWN would be dead by now. NWN2 does sort of just Improve on everything except epic levels but they takes ages to get anyway.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-14, 03:04 PM
Nope, lots of people still playing it. I know at least 1 fairly large player base not moving to NWN2 till January.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-14, 03:09 PM
A month away isn't very long so they are still moving and excepting that it is a better game now those damn bugs are fixed.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-14, 03:26 PM
Well, it helps me, since my computer can't run it yet. Apparently there's alot of problems with it that they expect to be changed in updates. I don't know what problems, it's just general whining. Some kind of Warlock abuse for as much HP as you want is all I can think of.

Anyway, NWN is still pretty good.
And epic levels aren't that hard to get to. :tongue:

The Evil Thing
2006-12-14, 04:56 PM
I still play NWN a fair bit. All the good modules are still on NWN because no-one's had enough time to really get to grips with the new system.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-14, 07:08 PM
NWN2 sux i ahve NWN2 i played if for a while...im not going to use the bad words which is the only way to "properly" desgribe this game but i'll say it in a way my dad said...me and my family are the owners of Annakolia and long time players

NWN2 more then 1 step back mroe like 25 steps back: 3 steps: the characters look fake and unrealistic...more like really good puppets, 7 steps: well...you cant change appearance of clothing and nice looking stuff is hard to come by this is just graphics stuff so far i know, 9 steps: the spells...some look good but most look CHEESY!...15 steps: yes this is a big step...WORLDS cant be as big as they SHOULD be! i mean come ON people annakolia has around 1800+ areas...on the same comp (im in the same room as the comp that hosts server) there would only be half as meny areas being on a full sized server...i mean annakolia is sitll growing but i doubt a NWN2 server would get much bigger on a GOOD server then...say...200+ because of all the scripts and stuff takeing recorces also...17 steps: the gameplay isent as nice and as clean...because of WALKMESHES! this has to do with 15 steps above...think people...evey time a world updates you need to download walkmeshes...AGAIN! i mean come ON this will litarally eat away at your memory and make it for less play time and also (this will make 19 steps im just doing it in the same part) the walkemeshes make it so you cant explore properly you can only walk in the places it SAYS you can walk in...okay next!
23 steps: okay now this is interesting something that i hate...this is why im marking it as so meny steps...i take offence at this because im a mucican myself in medieval times music and instroments. the instroments are modern and not properly medieval times instroments...for instance they had metal tuners on a lute (sort of like a medieval times gitaur and like what elan has) they did NOT have that...its just kind of offencive to me :smallmad: 25th step: between TNO (tir na ogg) and a bunch of other add ons haks and custom things...NWN2 just sucks...trust me ive played it jsut get nwn1 its much Much MUUUUCH better its more of a setback then anything else NWN1 is better NWN2 sux...and the fact that i dident even mention that some of these monsters look nothing like their supost to. so get NWN1 if you get NWN at all cause NWN2 doesent even deserve to share the name of NWN1 nuff said :smallannoyed:

The Evil Thing
2006-12-14, 08:19 PM
Somewhere, an English teacher is crying. :smallbiggrin:

From what I gather from you post, you think that the NWN characters are more realistic than the NWN2 characters, don't see why the true-3D tilesets shouldn't allow full, free movement than the less-detailed NWN tilesets (which, incidentally, have the same problem).

You may have a point on the musical instruments (I do not claim to be an expert on the subject) but you have to allow them some leeway, it's not as if they're putting in electric guitars or anything, these are effectively lay-people and it's horribly expensive to bring consultants in on everything,

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-14, 09:16 PM
yeah i know but haks and things make NWN1 mroe beautiful then NWN2 heck just normal tilesets plus CEP with a good artest can make NWN1 look beautiful and yes the characters DO look unrealistic nither does NWN1 but at least they look more real then NWN2...yes the tilesets are less detailed on NWN1 but when you think about it theres a thing called PLACEABLES...with a artistic world builder with nice placeables nwn1 would look beautiful and detailed.

and yes i know my puntuation and spelling sucks :smallamused: buhaha i make english teachers cry!!! :smallamused: :smallamused:

DeathQuaker
2006-12-14, 10:14 PM
Somewhere, an English teacher is crying. :smallbiggrin:

And freelance copy editors. :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

As someone who has just finished playing the NWN2 OC and enjoyed it thoroughly.....

NWN1 isn't going anywhere. It's 4 years strong, and a lot of people who play in persistent worlds are pretty dedicated to sticking around. NWN1 has loads of modules and premium modules that are pretty new and great (Wyvern Crown of Cormyr is awesome) that a lot of people haven't tried yet...

And NWN2 being brand spanking new, it's going to take awhile before a lot of people get it... a lot of folks usually wait to get a new game like that, to be sure it's fully patched and they can run it.

Just because the new is out doesn't mean the old isn't immediately going to die, especially with something where the community is strong like with NWN1. I imagine a lot of folks will still play it (and I will certainly load up NWN1 games on my machine as much as NWN2).

Me personally, I don't do much online play. But I wish Wolfie the best of luck; it sounds like a nice PW. And if he wants tutoring in comprehensible writing, I'm available for a low fee. :smallbiggrin:

Crazy Owl
2006-12-15, 02:31 AM
*Wall of Speech*
I'm confused from just the start of that, why do you think NWN2 people look like puppets. NWN people don't have hand they have a box that weapons slot into. An at least NPC's lips move in cut scenes in this one. If anything NWN looks like a bunch of puppets.

Next is the spells, you said they look cheesy. In the first NWN they used the same Somatic Verbal Components for nearly every spell and all they did was change the lights around them.

About the size of worlds, do you really think NWN Persistent worlds were as good as they are when had just come out? No it took ages to get as good as they are and now those builders have experience so they will eventually make better worlds on NWN2.

Your pointing all the flaws in NWN and said the complete opposite of what you were trying to say.

Really I doubt they are going to have any major complaints from buyers about lutes...

And for the finally, the same thing I said earlier, sort of. There were the extremely good Hakpaks when NWN came out they took a while to make so they will take a while to make them on 2 and again the people who make them now have more experience and will make better ones.

The Evil Thing
2006-12-15, 06:20 AM
and yes i know my puntuation and spelling sucks :smallamused: buhaha i make english teachers cry!!! :smallamused: :smallamused:
Please, I beg, just one full stop... :smallfrown: :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2006-12-15, 06:54 AM
Please, I beg, just one full stop... :smallfrown: :smallwink:

or a comma. i can't breath when reading out those long "sentances".

i'll try the PW when i finish NWN2 & PS:T, And ES IV:O, and MoM:DM, and WH40K DOW:DC...

i'll put it on my list. i keep going back to NWN... though not as often as PS:T.

The Evil Thing
2006-12-15, 03:02 PM
Full stop is better - you can get more breath in.

Also: Acronym attack!

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:07 AM
I'm confused from just the start of that, why do you think NWN2 people look like puppets. NWN people don't have hand they have a box that weapons slot into. An at least NPC's lips move in cut scenes in this one. If anything NWN looks like a bunch of puppets.

Next is the spells, you said they look cheesy. In the first NWN they used the same Somatic Verbal Components for nearly every spell and all they did was change the lights around them.

About the size of worlds, do you really think NWN Persistent worlds were as good as they are when had just come out? No it took ages to get as good as they are and now those builders have experience so they will eventually make better worlds on NWN2.

Your pointing all the flaws in NWN and said the complete opposite of what you were trying to say.

Really I doubt they are going to have any major complaints from buyers about lutes...

And for the finally, the same thing I said earlier, sort of. There were the extremely good Hakpaks when NWN came out they took a while to make so they will take a while to make them on 2 and again the people who make them now have more experience and will make better ones.

yes but they have SAID that nwn2 can only have less then half as meny areas as they would have in a NWN1 server...and yes they used the very same verbal stuff its the looks that are the problem...

anyway...i say they look like puppets cause they do one thing over and over and over and over and barely any veriability at all. i know NWN1 doesent isent good either but at least theres SOME veriability and differances.

plus although im not sure how accurate it is but ive heard the next update will be the last...and you wanna know why NWN has long gevity (sorry for any misspellings) its a conbination of 3 elements: 1st: Great multiplayerability: NWN1 is still alive because of this although it would be nothing without the other elements. NWN2 wasent made for multiplayer they said that from the start not to mention on most AT's (the ones that arent doors) the WHOLE party ports which makes it pretty much impossable to do things like split up in emergencys (like being hunted for instance and you need to split up the party into different areas). 2nd: The toolset: Yes they have a toolset in NWN2 now my father (who i let look at the toolset) has been makeing a NWN1 server for years...(I.E annakolia) he looked at the toolset and said this is a piece of !@#% compaired to the first. 3rd: DM CLIENT!!!: this is probly the MOST important element...it is required to be able to litarally have god powers over creatures over where they go and what they say. also to be able to MAKE things which is probly the ONLY thing they have. and most importantly to be able to actually FIND the PC's which is a major task with NWN2 because you cant see where they are and you cant teleport to them...anyone get the picture? so NWN2 DM client is pretty much an observer that can make things. so it has things LIKE NWN1 but it wont have ANY of the long gevity

Plus that this game wasent made from the NWN1 system so it isent NWN2 at all...Bioware should have made this

Lilivati
2006-12-16, 01:24 AM
I've played NWN1 for a long time, though less recently than I would have liked. PnP style DM'd games hosted on NWN1 were what got me into DnD. (I've since come to prefer pnp though. :P ) Never really got into PWs. The sheer number of haks and often bugginess turned me off of them. For the people who like them though, it's great NWN1 provided that opportunity.

That said, I am itching to try NWN2- hopefully I will be able to afford the new video card that can make this happen sometime after the holidays. Friends who have tried it now have been less than impressed with the multiplayer capability, though, which worries me.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:32 AM
That said, I am itching to try NWN2- hopefully I will be able to afford the new video card that can make this happen sometime after the holidays. Friends who have tried it now have been less than impressed with the multiplayer capability, though, which worries me.

thats what im saying though...NWN2 wasent MADE to do multiplayer and i doubt it will be very good at multiplayerunless it gets a LOT of updates...

also our PW tries not to overload on haks were just so full on recorces that we are trying to fit scripts and stuff into haks (recorces are things that are required for areas and scripts) DL the haks and try us out if you tell me your account name i can watch you on the server and help you out when you get there :smallsmile: im not forceing you or anything this is all your choise

DeathQuaker
2006-12-16, 08:48 AM
anyway...i say they look like puppets cause they do one thing over and over and over and over and barely any veriability at all.

Ah, I see, it's the lack of animations you find bothersome. Which is a valid complaint. NWN2 was surprisingly lacking in that area.

so it has things LIKE NWN1 but it wont have ANY of the long gevity

I think with the game being only a little over a month old, that's jumping the gun a bit. NWN1 when it was one month old is crap compared to what's been done with it now. These things need to be put into perspective.

The important thing is, Obsidian and Atari aren't dropping support for the game. I have a feeling some thing that were left out of initial release--including animations and complex functions for the DM Client--will be released in patches and (hopefully) expansion packs.

NWN2 has more potential than NWN1... so with continued support, not to mention a community that's already active in making new and tweaked content, it has a strong chance at long term survival.

But again, that's no reason to abandon NWN1. It's a great system--especially after all that's been done for it by both the community and the devs. What's going to keep people playing NWN1 at this point isn't the technological shininess, it's going to be the strength of the modules for single player-players and PWs and multiplayer-modules for those who like those--which means as long as your PW is strong and has a good community base, it ain't going anywhere for awhile.

Plus that this game wasent made from the NWN1 system so it isent NWN2 at all...Bioware should have made this

It was made from the Aurora Engine, it was just heavily modified to incorporate things like a Z-axis. And Bioware worked very closely with Obsidian to get the engine running.

And I imagine the reason Bioware didn't make it was because they were sick of having to deal with WotC and Atari, for which I don't blame them one tiny bit. I love the FR setting, but frankly, it seems like WotC and Atari are doing their very best to make sure their D&D video games are as mediocre as possible by rushing development and putting unnecessary restrictions on content.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-16, 08:55 AM
thats what im saying though...NWN2 wasent MADE to do multiplayer and i doubt it will be very good at multiplayerunless it gets a LOT of updates...

also our PW tries not to overload on haks were just so full on recorces that we are trying to fit scripts and stuff into haks (recorces are things that are required for areas and scripts) DL the haks and try us out if you tell me your account name i can watch you on the server and help you out when you get there :smallsmile: im not forceing you or anything this is all your choise

How many times does this need to be said, stop comparing a patched to godlyness game to game thats just come out. You said it won't be good unless its had lots of updates, NWN probably wouldn't be very good if it had not got all of it's updates.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-16, 09:08 AM
How many times does this need to be said, stop comparing a patched to godlyness game to game thats just come out. You said it won't be good unless its had lots of updates, NWN probably wouldn't be very good if it had not got all of it's updates.

I just said that. :smallsmile:

I think with the game being only a little over a month old, that's jumping the gun a bit. NWN1 when it was one month old was crap compared to what's been done with it now. These things need to be put into perspective.

(I just fixed a verb tense the second time though. Too lazy to go back and edit the original. :smalltongue: )

Crazy Owl
2006-12-16, 09:11 AM
I know but he doesn't seem to read it when anyone says it.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-16, 09:13 AM
I know but he doesn't seem to read it when anyone says it.

But he's not been given a chance to reply! :smalltongue:

Crazy Owl
2006-12-16, 09:14 AM
Shush, don't bring logic into posts or it will ruin time.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-16, 09:18 AM
Shush, don't bring logic into posts or it will ruin time.

Turquoise bicycle shoefins radishes greenly?

Edit: And I'm sorry. I won't go any farther off topic.

Om
2006-12-16, 10:01 AM
What was the topic again? Something about NWN... the first one of course :smallwink:

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-18, 05:27 AM
Heh i was bringing up NWN1 because it was D&D and a game that i like...now weve gotten into NWN2 reviews and im prankly sick of talking about NWN2 :smallyuk:

Archonic Energy
2006-12-18, 05:47 AM
Heh i was bringing up NWN1 because it was D&D and a game that i like...now weve gotten into NWN2 reviews and im prankly sick of talking about NWN2 :smallyuk:

so... who's playing NWN2

*hides*

i tell you what i'll lend you my NWN 1.00 something disks you can install them and only play what is on the disks...

that should keep him occupied for a while. the orignal NWN wasn't designed to cope with PWs...

as many of us have said you can't hold a game with such a large modding community against a newly released game. you need to let the community adjust to the new version. look at what happened when CS:S was released... the servers were empty because "the original was better" look now. there are more people playing CS:S than CS. it plays faster and looks better because the new engine was designed for it. with CS it's core was only the original quake 2 engine (i think) and they did wonders with it, NWN2 has an updated version of the Aurora engine at it's heart, lets wait till it starts beating before anyone tears it out.

and now i have NWN2 CE edition i have 4 copies of NWN... and it's addons... i need a server.

Archonic Energy
Archonic Slave
Archonic_Laptop
Archonic Server?

Om
2006-12-18, 07:20 AM
with CS it's core was only the original quake 2 engine (i think) and they did wonders with it
Quake 1 actually.

I am the nitpick fairy!

Archonic Energy
2006-12-18, 08:29 AM
Quake 1 actually.

I am the nitpick fairy!

then they worked Miricals with it.

Om
2006-12-18, 02:16 PM
then they worked Miricals with it.
My spider sense is tingling. So is my spellchecker :smallsmile:

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-18, 03:31 PM
Your PW sounds cool and mabey to pass the time between now and the 7 days left till xmas. I'll reinstall NWN and try it out. I wanna get NWN2 mainly for the Single Player story which I still have to finish the first one. Also NWN2 has more animations from what I have seen friends playing especially in combat. The thing that annoyed me most about nwn was that in combat there were like 3 swinging animations and then they would go through the same cycle of like 2 animatios for moving in combat. That and every other spell effect was identical at least NWN2 has a diffrent visual effect for alto of the spells. That and the faces actually move in nwn 2 instead of the heads just bobbing up and down.

-TheSK-

Edit: Also bro searously learn to type. I am a horrible typist and a worse speller but my posts at least look halfway decent and I do creative writing. Like after you type a post copy it and paste it into MS Word and run spell check. It will fix everything short of run-on sentences in just like one min.

Edit2: What hak files do you need to play in this world. I see all the music packs but not sure about the others could you post some specific links?

When I get on my username will be either BarNico if that account is still active if not it will be TheSilverKnight.

Abaddon
2006-12-18, 11:51 PM
NWN2 rules, I like muchly, ya? :smallcool:

NWN1 was just as buggy on release, I think NWN2 has awesome possibilities. Learning the new toolset as we speak. Yay!

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-19, 12:05 AM
i posted it erlier you need to go to http://www.annakolia.org/ for haks

but NWN2 has one FATAL problem...the PWC you have to redownload it WHENEVER the server updates and it keeps getting bigger..and bigger..and bigger...its just going to be an immence waste of space on a computer...not to mention that you ahve to download it EVEY SINGLE UPDATE!...i doubt NWN2 will become as good as NWN1 because of its need to download this file over and over to even get into the server. thats going to put stress on your comp because it will be getting VERY large over time and a large server will take up too much memory to make your comp work correctly

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-19, 01:23 AM
Yah I went on there wich ones are the hacks. the 2 that start downloaders don't say what they are and I don't just download random zip files. Wich options on the dropdown menue to be specific?

And like others have said befor you are being to harsh on a new game that still has much development.

NWN only got all the updates it got because ther was so much player created content so they thought it was a good idea to expand it.

I am sure once NWN2 has some time to sell it will start to get a community of players it will grow and = NWN if not surpass it for it has more potential.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-19, 01:57 AM
:smallannoyed: well fine im not going to argue sence im going to get the doors hut in my face anyway...trust me NWN2 just isent that good...sure NWN1 wasent good at first either but the only thing good about this is the single player...so im not really gonna play it much but i'll chack in on it. but anyway were off topic this used to be about NWN

Crazy Owl
2006-12-19, 02:20 AM
THere was a small part in the middle that was off topic, that was probably my fault, sorry. But now the topic is back on topic. You just don't seem to really wan't to give 2 a chance. Your not really reading our arguments and keep saying things we have proven already as wrong.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-19, 02:23 AM
:smallmad: oh come on i gave it a chance and i dont think its good at all...do we really have to argue about this though? its really getting anoying :smallannoyed:

Crazy Owl
2006-12-19, 10:30 AM
You started the argument by saying NWN2 was terrible. Now I'm stopping before this becomes a flame war.

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-19, 01:17 PM
if it wern't banned on GitP flame wars are fun.

N e who I guess I will try your PW today I'll mention to whatever DM is on how I found you.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-31, 01:42 PM
Okay just for the sake of showing you what a PW owner did when he finally got so agitated with all the problems in NWN2 goto the link below but i WARN you he's useing explict languge. he explains the problems with NWN2 and how frustrated he is and why he has quitted his world in it. heres the link: http://www.nwn2rome.co.uk/

*waits for people to start yelling at him in contridictory anyway and sits in the corner waiting for people to FINALLY get his point* remember this isent me saying this this is a previous PW maker in NWN2 and please dont yell at me for what he says...im useing his webpage to illistrate a point so dont say anything about me please...its not that i want to make people stupid or miserable or anything (if i do make people feel that way im very sorry) :smallsmile:

Crazy Owl
2006-12-31, 03:54 PM
Ok I got bored of that after the first Paragraph. His argument was pretty much "NWN2 is *bleep*, NWN2 is *bleep*. I could have made a good realm but I won't because NWN2 is *bleep*."

blackout
2006-12-31, 03:58 PM
You have a point about NWN 2 Wolfie. My friend Jacob got it, and now he's mad as heck, cus it sucks, and it was a waste of money. I've played it myself, lemme just say: He's right. SO, who's up for a little campaign in the GOOD NWN game?

Om
2006-12-31, 09:55 PM
Okay just for the sake of showing you what a PW owner did when he finally got so agitated with all the problems in NWN2 goto the link below but i WARN you he's useing explict languge. he explains the problems with NWN2 and how frustrated he is and why he has quitted his world in it. heres the link: http://www.nwn2rome.co.uk/
I get the feeling that the reason the author was unable to get a PW running hasn't got much to do with any flaws in NWN2 :smallannoyed:*

*I really need a :dry: smiley.

blackout
2006-12-31, 09:58 PM
Still, NWN2 stinks. Until they get some expansions and patches out, I ain't touchin' it. SO, about that NWN1 campaign?

Soniku
2007-01-02, 11:30 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1760246#post1760246) Okay just for the sake of showing you what a PW owner did when he finally got so agitated with all the problems in NWN2 goto the link below but i WARN you he's useing explict languge. he explains the problems with NWN2 and how frustrated he is and why he has quitted his world in it. heres the link: http://www.nwn2rome.co.uk/

Hm, seems someones in the need of a bap round the head with the spellchecker-stick :smalltongue: I'm not sure what anyone else got from that link but it seems to me that he is more annoyed at the lack of "serious and original" RP worlds in any game than annoyed at NWN2, which he reserves about two lines for and it's still only a stab at the players rather than at the game.

Oh, I missed the red bit.

Anyway, back on track.. well, as much as it was :smallbiggrin:

NWN1 was, in my opinion, really bad when it first came out. Buggy, bland and a horrible campaign. Only after a year or two the great things came out, well made persistant worlds and the like. I'm probly going to play NWN2 offline for a while and come back online in a few months to see what has been made.

I have to agree though, the entire online experience could be ruined by the walkmesh files, the sites of origin I can never find and will send the new player to the troubleshooting pages when he can't log into any server.

Plus, the lack of proper parry/dodge animations is a bit annoying. I want to see those flying sparks! And the full list of weapons. Whips and double-ended weapons anyone? Spiked chain? (I don't think the chain exploit would work with the NWN2 feats so it would be alright)

Wolfie_1066
2007-01-02, 10:58 PM
Still, NWN2 stinks. Until they get some expansions and patches out, I ain't touchin' it. SO, about that NWN1 campaign?

I agree...FINALLY another voice of reason...this game wont work without some SERIOUS expansions...it was a waste of fifty dollars that i saved for FF XII till i desided i would look at it...i want FF XII *sniffle* i want my money back...anyway thats off topic and i agree its WAY to buggy and needs patches and expansions BIG time before it even becomes PLAYABLE

blackout
2007-01-03, 12:44 AM
NWN1 campaign, anyone? Also, I forget, do you have to pay for online NWN, or is it free?

Crazy Owl
2007-01-03, 02:28 AM
It is free.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-03, 07:53 AM
I agree...FINALLY another voice of reason...this game wont work without some SERIOUS expansions...it was a waste of fifty dollars that i saved for FF XII till i desided i would look at it...i want FF XII *sniffle* i want my money back...anyway thats off topic and i agree its WAY to buggy and needs patches and expansions BIG time before it even becomes PLAYABLE

Sorry for the offtopic note, but have you downloaded the 1.03 patch? That makes the game much more playable. Improves a lot of the issues it had on release.

And 1.04 should be coming out within the month, which will also fix a number of remaining problematic issues.

Om
2007-01-03, 08:37 AM
As much as I love Obsidian I have to admit that they do have a tendency to release games half unfinished.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-03, 08:58 AM
As much as I love Obsidian I have to admit that they do have a tendency to release games half unfinished.

The issue is more Atari

1. Announcing game release waaaay too early, before development is stable and games have been tested (in fact, they announced the game when development had barely started), and

2. Therefore when fans get impatient because they were promised a game ages ago, they force the developer to release the game before they've had time to work a lot of the bugs out.

Now, Obsidian did have 1. some unexpected issues with the engine slowing them up, and 2. unexpected staff turnover, etc. which slowed down the process, which is why they weren't ready to release when originally planned. But the responsibility of when to release is ultimately with the publisher.

If you look at companies like Blizzard, which have the funds to develop AND publish, they give themselves ample time to develop and beta test before they release, and release isn't announced until they're damn sure of it--and even then they're often still late, but with a good product. If Obsidian had that luxury (or if Bioware had had it with NWN1, which didn't stop being a buggy piece of garbage until about 6 months after release) we'd probably have a much better game.

Om
2007-01-03, 11:46 AM
I'd forgotten the game was published by Atari (currently vying with Strategy First for the title of Worst Publisher Ever) but there's still only so much blame that you can apportion to the publisher. At some point Obsidian has to stand up and simply say that the game is not ready for release.

Now I'm a huge fan of all the old Black Isle folks but this is something that they've never been good at. Even accounting for the pressures imposed by publishers. Obsidian, or rather us fans, got badly burned with that whole Lucasarts/KotOR2 fiasco in which the game was released without an ending. Troika had the same habit of releasing games that were only half finished before finally going bankrupt.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-03, 01:16 PM
I'd forgotten the game was published by Atari (currently vying with Strategy First for the title of Worst Publisher Ever) but there's still only so much blame that you can apportion to the publisher. At some point Obsidian has to stand up and simply say that the game is not ready for release.

At which point, Atari says, "Fine. No money for you. We're taking the work we own and giving it to another Dev to finish. Buh-bye."

Now I'm a huge fan of all the old Black Isle folks but this is something that they've never been good at.

When they were Black Isle, they were the publisher (they were a division of Interplay), and I honestly can't think of a game of theirs that wasn't fairly well complete when it came out (*cough* comparatively speaking). And of the games they published and developed, Torment and Fallout 2 were both pretty solid (though did need patching) AFAIK.

Even accounting for the pressures imposed by publishers. Obsidian, or rather us fans, got badly burned with that whole Lucasarts/KotOR2 fiasco in which the game was released without an ending. Troika had the same habit of releasing games that were only half finished before finally going bankrupt.

Troika also got badly burned by publishers. Atari didn't pay for post-release support of Temple of Elemental Evil and they had volunteers create patches out of pocket because Atari wouldn't do it. They've at least done better w/ NWN2.

I do not exonerate Obsidian from all responsibility. They could have produced a better product in 2 and a half years, even if still not finished. But the publisher's still got a lot to answer for.

I apologize for the tangential discussion. To transition, hopefully, NWN2 will in a year be as good, if not better, as NWN1 was after a year past its release. Both seemed to have gotten a good start.

And I think NWN1 persistent worlds like the OP's will live on quite awhile yet. Best of luck as it keeps going.

blackout
2007-01-06, 12:08 AM
It is free.

O_O Be right back, gotta make an account.

Jaysyn
2007-02-02, 11:16 AM
I still build & play NWN (see my sig) & have no plans to move over to NWN2 until they un-break it. It's totally useless for an immersive persistent world.

Matar
2007-02-02, 11:52 AM
http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/

I'll think about getting it when this comes to NwN2 and a good PW starts useing it >.>. It just... adds to much to play a DnD game without :P.

wrath
2007-02-02, 01:47 PM
NWN1 was a great game... in 2002. The expansions, the 3.0 rules, the toolset, DM client, 3d engine, all great stuff.

BUT it's 2007!!!

Yeah, I agree that there are bugs in NWN2, of course, no game released in years has been bug-free in the initial release. The 1.04 patch fixes a lot of them, and adds back some of the animations/voiceset comments that were in NWN1. The pwc files are no big deal on broadband, it's just like downloading hakpaks for NWN1. Given the continued support of Obsidian, I have little doubt NWN2 and it's expansions will be much better than NWN1 in every way.

Most people I know that still have trouble with NWN2 these days are trying to run it on a PC that lacks the horsepower. Either they don't have a decent video card, their CPU is years too old, they lack the RAM or some combination of the three.

My system is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with an AGPx8, 512 MB of VRAM nVidia 7600 GT and 2 GB of RAM. Latest .net, directx, drivers and xp updates and a freshly defragged hard drive and NWN2 runs great.

The 3.5 rules and feats like practiced spellcaster or monkey grip are better, the new prestige classes and subraces are also better. The single player game is way better than nwn1; you get to build a castle and defend it, that's awesome!! In time the PWs will have caught up and rather than the same tired tilesets for each server, they will all be unique works, well worth a pwc file IMHO.

Jaysyn
2007-02-02, 04:10 PM
NWN1 was a great game... in 2002. The expansions, the 3.0 rules, the toolset, DM client, 3d engine, all great stuff.

BUT it's 2007!!!

Yeah, I agree that there are bugs in NWN2, of course, no game released in years has been bug-free in the initial release. The 1.04 patch fixes a lot of them, and adds back some of the animations/voiceset comments that were in NWN1. The pwc files are no big deal on broadband, it's just like downloading hakpaks for NWN1. Given the continued support of Obsidian, I have little doubt NWN2 and it's expansions will be much better than NWN1 in every way.

Most people I know that still have trouble with NWN2 these days are trying to run it on a PC that lacks the horsepower. Either they don't have a decent video card, their CPU is years too old, they lack the RAM or some combination of the three.

My system is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with an AGPx8, 512 MB of VRAM nVidia 7600 GT and 2 GB of RAM. Latest .net, directx, drivers and xp updates and a freshly defragged hard drive and NWN2 runs great.

The 3.5 rules and feats like practiced spellcaster or monkey grip are better, the new prestige classes and subraces are also better. The single player game is way better than nwn1; you get to build a castle and defend it, that's awesome!! In time the PWs will have caught up and rather than the same tired tilesets for each server, they will all be unique works, well worth a pwc file IMHO.

Has Obsidian actually mentioned any expansions for NWN2?

The server I play on has custom feats, spells, classes, tilesets, animations, models etc etc..

Let me know when there is a NWN2 PW that can support 64 players & 400+ areas.

wrath
2007-02-02, 04:35 PM
Here's an interview with Obsidian's NWN2 Senior Producer, Ryan Rucinski, and in the second page: http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/neverwinternights2postrelease2.php

He hints expansion plans will be announced soon.

I have seen NWN2 servers with 64 players, don't know the area counts or contents of them all, but considering that the same 2da structure and the new xml framework for the GUI, I think that the same or greater amount of custom feats, skills, animations, etc are possible in NWN2, given the time for the community to either port from nwn1 or create from scratch.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-02, 05:40 PM
Sounds nice. I need to learn how to use CEPs yet, though :p
And people still plays NWN. I doubt many will switch to NWN2 any time soon.
Me and some friends just got it ourselves. It would be nice to use the 3.5 stuff, though.