PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold + Colossus limit?

unseenmage
2013-08-05, 12:40 AM
Applying the Custom Magic Item rules to the Epic Level Handbook Colossus golems and utilizing the Stronghold Builders Guidebook as though it were the Magic Item Compendium nets me the concept of a Fortress Colossus.

My question is, where would the Playground draw the line and why?
To explain, what limit should there be for how much Stronghold can be tacked onto one of these epic golems?

Should it be a limit of mass? Gp? CL? A certain number of Stronghold Spaces per HD?

I love the concept but I suspect that some limiting factors should be applied.
After the idea of a walking fortress gets huge enough the limits stop mattering and become mostly mechanic-less. Walking islands for example could potentially be player controlled (Yay mind-controlled super mega tortoise!) but walking continents would just be too much.

Thanks regardless Playground.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 07:47 AM
At epic levels, no limit is needed. You get Howels moving castle.

You could be doing much worse at those levels.

At sub-epic levels, I would cap you at the epic price limit.

Tvtyrant
2013-08-05, 08:26 AM
I would go with whatever the players can afford to craft or have people craft for them. The amount of money that they would have to throw at it is its own drawback IMO. Especially if you stick to WBL charts, they will be throwing every dime they make at their giant castles.

unseenmage
2013-08-05, 11:19 AM
I don't remember where the rules are but I recall that Warforged can embed weapons into themselves.

I can't help but wonder if there's a way to get a Warfoged to Gargantuan or Colossal size and embed the impenetrable tank-room into it. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2013-08-05, 11:24 AM
Given that Colossi are creatures and not magic items, applying custom magic item rules to them is deeply and thoroughly within houserule territory, and adding the Stronghold Builders Guide makes it the territory's capital.

As such, the limit should be what it normally is for guidelines - DM appproval. If you think what your players have made is unbalanced, say no.

Big Fau
2013-08-05, 11:41 AM
I don't remember where the rules are but I recall that Warforged can embed weapons into themselves.

Warforged Attached Components are in the ECS, and no, they can't attach a fortress to themselves no matter how big they get (buildings are not Components).

If they were, there'd be nothing stopping a player from turning a castle into an Ioun Stone and having it float around their head and destroying everything that comes near them.