PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment: Centaur Mount + Rider Combo

Segev
2013-08-05, 08:40 AM
Somebody asked in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15759437#post15759437) about giving a familiar combat riding feats because it rides on his shoulder.

This led me to wonder at a Centaur PC who gets Leadership and a Medium cohort with mount-focused feats to ride his back. Alternatively, a Medium mount-focused PC with a Centaur cohort; choose your favorite. A third option could be a pair of PCs. In any of these approaches, I'm interested in what could be done with this sort of combo. What can we think of?

The most obvious that I can think of are having the cohort rider with Mounted Combat and high Ride making sure the PC Centaur just negates one hit per round. Possibly some good fun to be had with both Centaur and rider wielding lances together on a charge.

Anyway, I invite full discussion, here! For reference and as a reminder, Centaurs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/centaur.htm) have 4 racial HD and a +2 LA.

Rebel7284
2013-08-05, 08:49 AM
There is a medium sized centair-goat in planar handbook as I recall (B-something). Only +1LA. Can be used with a small sized cohort/PC to lower the level this can be done at.

Segev
2013-08-05, 08:50 AM
Bauriar! I hadn't thought of them. ...they're Medium in 3e? Weird.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 08:51 AM
Well, they could both take a level of crusader for Ironguard Glare, for -4 to hit ether of them for anything they both threaten.

In fact, you had best get a whole party. Three small creatures can ride a single large creature.

So we have a Centaur Crusader ridden around by the rest of the party (who are halflings and gnomes), as a swordsage, a wizard, and a cleric.

All the small creatures take combat riding for a chance to negate a hit, one per rider.

The swordsage takes the isles of blades stance for flanking with the centaur.

Segev
2013-08-05, 08:59 AM
Hm. And I think, since the penalty is unnamed, it would stack if they used Iron Guard's Glare together. Only for their allies who aren't either of them, but -8 to hit two of the little guys on the Centaur's back and -4 to hit one of them and -4 to hit the Centaur...nothing to shake a stick at for an opening round of combat in a game where action economy is everything.