PDA

View Full Version : Character concept help

wilson356725
2013-08-05, 09:53 AM
long story short, a friend of mine is starting up a fantasy game, and i have a character concept i want to use, but i'm not sure i'll have enough ideas to pull it off.

basically, i want to play a spellcaster who tries as hard as he can to appear to be a non spellcaster (bar not using spells obviously.)

so far i have:
wears some armour, basically whatever i can wear that still allows me to cast okay, as well as being armed with a sword + shield (but never actually uses it)

always referring to himself as a warrior, mercenary, or adventurer, etc... any vague term will do.

using spells without verbal/somantic components/ using things like still spell etc...

using ranged weapons/ thrown weapons where possible.

what i'm looking for is more little ideas like this to round out his mannerisms and actions.

has anyone played a character like this before? how did it turn out?

Yora
2013-08-05, 10:19 AM
I think that depends quite a lot on what game you are playing and what specific abilities the character has.

Bulhakov
2013-08-05, 03:23 PM
Who do you want to try to fool - other players or NPCs?

If it's the players, then my advice is don't, unless you talk it out with your GM and he supports the idea (and will support your masquerade). The other players might not like your "hidden agenda" and figuring out your class might take too much focus off from the game.

If it's planned as a part of the general strategy for the PC, it's a pretty good idea (especially if you manage to make your party appear caster-less and have enemies frequently underestimate you). I'm pretty sure other players will enjoy going along with it.

hisnamehere
2013-08-05, 03:25 PM
You seem to have the basics down.
Wearing armour and wielding non-standard wizard weapon are definitely going to get you by the standard, "I target the guy in robes first," tactic. Spellsword is nice for this, but there others. Non-standard casters can often wear armour (Bard, Warlock) and can gain heavier armour with feats.
Obviously, subtle casting is a key, as well, so, yes, Silent Spell and Still Spell will be great. See if your DM will let you swap out a Wizard's bonus Scribe Scroll for any other Metamagic or Item Creation feat (like Still/Silent).
Other than that, being a subtle caster. No fireballs and fire-breathing dragons. Buffs. Curses/hexes.
Be decent/passable/fake it with other abilities other than casting.

Are you trying to keep your casting ability from your comrades? or just your enemies?

Honestly, do this your own way for the most style. No one will do it quite like you.

Happy gaming!

Edit: Thar b'ninjas!

Bulhakov
2013-08-05, 03:59 PM
An idea how to keep up the masquerade - fake magic items.

Rub some stinky herbal ointment on someone, make them think it is magical (while it really was a touch spell).

Throw an acorn that explodes into a fireball... act surprised "The squirrel said it contained epic magic, but I didn't expect this !"

Hide a wand inside your shield.

Lord Torath
2013-08-05, 04:22 PM
Don't wear robes. Ever. No, not even then! Wear shirt/vest and breeches/pants/hose. If you're female, pack a gown for when you need to dress up, but otherwise stick with "active wear." Maybe purchase a holy symbol of the deity you worship (or can stand, at least), and wear it openly.

Tuck daggers everywhere.

Carry a thick, 8-10' spear you can use as a quarterstaff. Or as a 10' pole.

See if you can find a way to stash you spell components in hidden pockets, so they aren't hanging out there for people to see. Keep your spellbook hidden in you backpack, and only take it out in the privacy of your personal tent.

Carrying a sword is possible, but people will eventually wonder why you never use it. If you're carrying a shield, make certain it's a small buckler that lets you keep your hands free.

As others have said, focus on subtle spells, illusions, charms, that sort of thing.

What level are you starting at? Can you take a level of fighter first? That should give you access to better weapons, and possibly the ability to wear armor.

Again, a lot depends on who you are trying to fool.

Azreal
2013-08-05, 04:22 PM
I think it'd be easier to fake being a ranger.
They are based on Dex which is nice on casters
They use ranged weapons, and wear light armor
Then you can just use "magic items"

I am curious as to why your character doesn't want to appear to be a caster?

wilson356725
2013-08-05, 07:54 PM
Who do you want to try to fool - other players or NPCs?

NPC's. i doubt, even if i tried, i'd be able to hide it from the players.

I am curious as to why your character doesn't want to appear to be a caster?

backstory of the character is that he's on the run from some powerful organisation, but he's changed his name and disguised himself as a mundane mercenary.

Can you take a level of fighter first? That should give you access to better weapons, and possibly the ability to wear armor.

i was planning to take a dip in a martial class, if only for the weapon skills and hitpoints.

falloutimperial
2013-08-05, 11:53 PM
It wouldn't hurt if you chose a spell-casting class that incurred no arcane spell failure chance, such as a bard or spellthief, one with high charisma to pull the wool over the sheeps' eyes.

Hanuman
2013-08-06, 12:01 AM
CASTER
SOLDIER
APPEAR NONMAGIC

Direct solution is to use Invisible Spell and Disguise Spell metamagic feats.
Class suggestion is the duskblade, but if it's merely a disguise any caster would work. Wizard would do well because of the free metamagics.

This will give you the exact effect desired.

You could also be a class from tome of battle and have spell effects through force of sheer practice, and not by actual casting.

neonchameleon
2013-08-06, 07:14 PM
long story short, a friend of mine is starting up a fantasy game, and i have a character concept i want to use, but i'm not sure i'll have enough ideas to pull it off.

basically, i want to play a spellcaster who tries as hard as he can to appear to be a non spellcaster (bar not using spells obviously.)

so far i have:
wears some armour, basically whatever i can wear that still allows me to cast okay, as well as being armed with a sword + shield (but never actually uses it)

always referring to himself as a warrior, mercenary, or adventurer, etc... any vague term will do.

using spells without verbal/somantic components/ using things like still spell etc...

using ranged weapons/ thrown weapons where possible.

what i'm looking for is more little ideas like this to round out his mannerisms and actions.

has anyone played a character like this before? how did it turn out?

Normally that works pretty well. But which game system do you want it in. I'm going to assume 3.5 or Pathfinder.

In 3.5 there's one class that's outstanding at this sort of character. The Bard. You wear armour and can wield some swashbuckling weapons. You're also skilled and knowledgeable. And then there's coincidental magic and bluff. "No that wasn't Haste. Merely inspiration. No I didn't use Alter Self. I'm just very good at disguise. Here's my disguise kit."

In Pathfinder the Bard isn't quite as good. But the Inquisitor and the Magus and even the Summoner pick up some of the slack.

Either way you have two basic approaches. Pretend to be dull as ****. Or act with flamboyance, flair, and obvious skill and panache and no one will look deeper.

Almaseti
2013-08-07, 09:38 PM
If this is pathfinder, there are feats you can take to reduce arcane spell failure chance (arcane armor training and arcane armor mastery) to help with being a caster.

thefish42
2013-08-09, 09:17 AM
A good one trick pony wizard in pathfinder is gravity bow and enlarge person with an elf wizard 10/ arcane archer 10

With some magic items and a willing DM it could be fun

the OOD
2013-08-09, 02:43 PM
assumptions made for a low level (4-5ish) bard
prestidigitation/mage hand and unseen servant are your new best friends.
you can enhance your actions with these spells, 5 pounds of pressure can cross the ankles of a charging foe, or help guide an arrow to its target (you do have a bow, don't you?).

charm person will help you tidy up when people get suspicious, and can be invaluable in social situations as well.

expeditious retreat/bull's strength/cat's grace/hast will allow you to show off you physical ability a little more, and expeditious retreat never hurts when s*** hits the fan.:smalleek:

also, spells you can cast in your tent befors battle like mage armor(and most of the last post) can rarely go amiss

you can hold your own in combat(secretly aiding yourself with magic), be the best of drinking buddys or diplomats(meddeling with minds when need be), with a strong inteligence you are an impressinve scholar(with spells to back your findings) and an all around renicance man.
just don't forget to keep an evocation in your back pocket.

hope this helps, cheers!:smallbiggrin: