PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Redemption and Corruption (Alignment Change through Mechanical Means)

Crustypeanut
2013-08-05, 10:39 AM
Yo guys, few questions I'd like to discuss with you about the whole Redemption rules found in Champions of Purity, and a possible homebrewed Corruption Mechanic based similarly to these rules.

For those unaware, here are the Redemption Rules:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/additional-rules#TOC-Becoming-Good

Basically what this says is that, the higher level you are, the longer it takes to redeem yourself. DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier as a Will Save each time you perform a Penance, and you need your HD x 2 number of Penances to reach the next stage (Evil to Neutral, Neutral to Good).

Now, the Corruption Mechanic I want to introduce is similar, but going down the opposite path - It may or may not be voluntary, unlike Redemption.

Just like Redemption, in order to move down an alignment (Good to Neutral, Neutral to Evil), you must perform or be affected by a number of Corruptions equal to your HD x 2, making a Will Save = DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier to avoid the Corruption. Penance requires you to make the Will Save to gain the Penance, as it is harder to redeem yourself than to damn yourself.

Penances and Corruptions counter-act each other, so for those who wish to stay Good, but are often affected by Corruption through whatever quests they're going on, it's a balancing act of doing good deeds and trying to stay ahead of the ball game.

Some Corruptions are harder to resist than others, or grow harder to avoid over time.

What do you guys think on this? I know normally DMs are likely against forcing alignment change on their players, but the players in this Campaign will be well aware of this mechanic, and if they wish to stay Good (Or neutral), they need to strive to resist the corruption that will be growing in them. I won't be worrying about Law vs Chaos mechanics, as that has very little to do with this campaign.

Also, as for the Atonement Spell, how should I go about working it into this system without exactly breaking either the system or the spell?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 11:58 AM
I would worry about a night and day morality system that treats a character as a balancing act of good and bad deeds. If you blow up megaton city, you shouldn't be able to redeem the character by giving enough flowers to orphans. You need to be very careful to keep the players thinking about morality rather than playing the subsystem.

Crustypeanut
2013-08-05, 01:28 PM
This was just a rough draft of the subsystem - if they did something as large as destroying a city, they would not be able to redeem themselves by giving flowers to orphans.

The goal for the players is to avoid becoming evil - they will suffer from the corrupting influence of various evil artifacts, corruption of the Abyss, Abaddon, and Hell, and corruption with having to work with evil beings (Lesser of two evils kind of thing), and in order to counterbalance it, they would have to perform penances to help keep their souls on the path of righteousness.

This subsystem would not be used in everyday gameplay - only this campaign will I use it, just as Sin Points were only used in the Rise of the Runelords campaign.

Plus, giving flowers to orphans would not even be a penance available.. giving them food and shelter out of your own expenses, saving them from a path of evil, or helping them right their lives would be more like it. And even then, I plan on it being more difficult to avoid becoming corrupted than to repent. The players will slowly fall deeper and deeper into corruption unless they truly work at it.

I mean heck, the angel who wrote the Book of the Damned fell from grace - thats how corrupting its influence is. :P