PDA

View Full Version : Chosing scale for hex maps?

Yora
2013-08-05, 11:25 AM
I have to admit I never worked with hex maps, but it seems a rather useful approach to get a map where you can estimate overland travel times simply by counting hexes. I also like to try out slight corrections with shorelines and mountain placement, and using a hex map editor is much more convenient to work with than doing freehand drawings.

Now I know a bit about geography and that the reading and especially making of maps is both a science and an art. And there are also some old-school gamers out there who have been making very elaborate hex-maps for decades.
So now that I want to make a hex based map for the world map of my setting, I want to learn more about the important considerations when picking the scale of the map and things like that, before I start working for some hours and only then notice I have to start all over again because I'd like to use another scale.

In case it matters, I want the "world" map to be about 4000x4000 km in size (actually just part of a continent), though I think for flavor reasons, I will actually go with miles. Also, it's primarily for Pathfinder and that game handles overland travel in miles as well.
In Pathfinder, a human carrying a medium load, a halfling carrying a light load, and a horse-pulled cart all can make 16 miles in 8 hours on roads and open plains, so I would say a hex on the world map should probably be some multiple of 16 miles.

But I will also probably make some "local" maps for just a single domain or valey in which each hex represents a smaller distance, and I think it would be convenient if each global hex could be devided into local hexes. 2 miles would be a practical distance to measure travel in one hour, but does that even work? To make a large hex out of smaller hexes, don't the smaller hexes have to be an uneven number like 5 or 7?

Well, you see what things I am dealing with, and if you have experiences with hey maps, you probably even understand what I am talking about. :smallbiggrin:
Are there any pieces of advice you could give me on chosing the scale for a hex map?

Thunderfist12
2013-08-05, 12:00 PM
If crossing a small hex is 6 miles, and going in a straight line across a large hex requires 2.5 hexes, each large hex would be 16 miles, or an eight-hour journey. That works pretty well for a map.

Alexkubel
2013-08-05, 04:17 PM
just remember, work out how many small hexes across the small hexes are, I'd recommend the large hexes an uneven number of small hexes across not an even number to ease your work, 18 or 14 rather than 16 (9 or 7 rather then 8 small hexs) this means you have a centre hex which you can 'ring' your other hexes round making the maps easier to replicate.

Thunderfist12
2013-08-05, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with the Omnissah (Alexkubel). I think I got my hex scale wrong anyways.

Yora
2013-08-06, 04:02 AM
I found that Pathfinder actually has a hex-system in a recent book, that uses 12 mile hexes, that can be crosed by the average characters in 8 hours. So I'll use that as a base.
For the global map, that can be increased to 48 miles, which is 4 days of travel for most characters and 6 days for anyone who is somewhat slowed down for any reason. I think that looks reasonably well and also makes a good grid size on the map.

Tzi
2013-08-07, 12:39 AM
Well the rule for map scale in general is....

How many pixels across is the map? Take that number and divide it by how big you want your map to represent.

For example I had a map that was 1600 pixels across, and I had a world map for a world that was 36,800 KM in circumference. So I divided 1600 by 36800 to come up with how many kilometers each pixel represented in order to make a map scale.

this gives you a basic scale then just figure out how many pixels wide your Hex is and you have how many kilometers are in it.

Alexkubel
2013-08-07, 02:17 AM
your maths seems a bit off

pixels/kilometre

1600/36800

16/368

your measurement will be pixels per Kilometer = p/KM = how many pixels a kilometre represents

if you inverse the pantheon

kilometre/pixels

36800/1600

368/16

2 KM/p

your measurement will be kilometres per pixel = KM/p = how many kilometres a pixel represents

do the maths