PDA

View Full Version : Hafling Thrower

Sgtpepper
2013-08-05, 01:29 PM
I would like to make a semi-optimized hafling thrower. Book wise I have the Races books, core, and the completes.

This character is going to be a machine gun thrower, meaning I want to throw about 10 skip rocks per round. Also I need a way to catch them as they come back since they'll be returning.

A.A.King
2013-08-05, 01:31 PM
So what are you looking for, ways to increase the number of stones you can throw or a way to be a character who uses stone throwing effectively?

Rebel7284
2013-08-05, 01:33 PM
Master Thrower 5 for 2 rocks per throw? Find a way to add dex to damage? (Drow Style Fighter dip?)

Sgtpepper
2013-08-05, 01:39 PM
A character who can effectively throw stones and throw aLOT of them

Zergrusheddie
2013-08-05, 02:00 PM
Are you looking for a thrower who happens to be a Halfling or someone that chucks Halflings? :smalltongue:

Sgtpepper
2013-08-05, 02:58 PM
To clarify I am looking for classes and class combos that excel at throwing a lot of skip rocks effectively

A.A.King
2013-08-05, 03:19 PM
If you're throwing a lot of weapons probably you'll want Sneak Attack, and Halfling Rogue's ACF from Races of the Wild is nice because it gives you an extra 1d6 of sneak attack when you make a sneak attack using a thrown weapon. Barbarian Whirling Frenzy ACF (UA but also on the SRD) lets you make on extra attack when in frenzy at yourr highest BAB but at the cost of -2 for each attack made in that round

Master Thrower is a Prestige class you definitely want. 5 Levels let you pick three Thrown Weapon Tricks from a list. 3 Nice onces for you are:
Palm Throw, Sneaky Shot and Weak Spot
Palm Throw lets you throw two weapons with a single attack roll, doubling your out put but if you do you can't add your strength bonus (doesn't really matter as with the racial Strength penalty you probably won't have a bonus anyway)
Sneaky Shot lets you use a move action to try and use a Sleight of Hand check to make the opponent lose their Dex bonus to AC (allowing you to make a sneak attack). Might want to look for better ways to pull of sneak attacks because the move action means you can no longer use a full attack action but it is a nice one
The best one for a Halfling Thrower though is Weak Spot, which lets you make Ranged Touch Attacks instead of normal ranged attacks against all opponents who are your size of larger. Combine this with Sneaky Shot (or other ways to make them lose their Dex to AC) and you'll hit most people very easy which compensates for the fact you want to throw a lot of weapons which comes at the cost of accuracy

Also nice (and already mentioned) is Drow of the Underdark's Fighter ACF. Dex to Damage for each attack made within 30 feet against Flat Footed opponents. Sadly it specificly says "Flat Footed" and not "Denied Dex to AC" so you won't get it that often, probably only if you get the first attack of the round. Which you will because the ACF also grants you +2 to Initiative Checks

Hylas
2013-08-05, 03:33 PM
Master Thrower is definitely worth at least a 1 level dip for palm throw. You lose STR to damage, but all other static bonuses are effectively doubled. Point blank shot and weapon specialization come to mind (though my 3.5/PF thrower uses Deadly Aim (ranged power attack), see if your DM allows it). All 5 levels will give you Weak Spot, see above for details.

Two-Weapon Fighting and Rapid Shot will both increase the output of the number of attacks, which again, increases the need for static bonuses to damage.

Dex-to-damage would be amazing. Here's a post where you might be able to find something that works for you. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732

Magesmiley
2013-08-05, 04:20 PM
I would like to make a semi-optimized hafling thrower. Book wise I have the Races books, core, and the completes.

This character is going to be a machine gun thrower, meaning I want to throw about 10 skip rocks per round. Also I need a way to catch them as they come back since they'll be returning.

No books with me, but If I recall, skip rocks are treated as ammunition. Which means they aren't reusable. So even if they return to you, they're worthless.

I think that your best bet is some sort of custom magic item that lets you pull an endless supply of the buggers out (and which disappear a round after being pulled).

Sgtpepper
2013-08-05, 04:28 PM
How much would a magical item like that cost?

Invader
2013-08-05, 04:41 PM
Here's the dagger thrower I built, it should give you a pretty good place to star.

[URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242279"]

ArqArturo
2013-08-05, 04:43 PM
Are you looking for a thrower who happens to be a Halfling or someone that chucks Halflings? :smalltongue:

In Races of Stone, it is implied that Goliaths are Proficient with Small Angry Humanoids.

Fyermind
2013-08-05, 06:51 PM
Any chance of getting Dragon 310 allowed? It has good alternative class features for fighters to get dex to damage and extra ranged attacks.

Palm Throw, Two with One Blow/trip shot, and Weak Spot are probably the most useful tricks as you can get. They can all be layered onto all of your attacks.

If you don't have a bard or the like boosting your damage, getting extra damage is really important. Buying a rod of chain spell for a caster to chain greater magic weapon through all of your stones is worth it. By them a pearl of power too if you have to to get them to cast it daily.

PangolinPie
2013-08-05, 07:01 PM
See if your DM will let you take the Halfling-specific "Whisperknife" PRSC and substitute all the knife tricks for rocks.

FireGriver
2013-08-05, 07:17 PM
If you choose to go the Master Thrower route, there is a set of gloves in the MIC (I know it's not on the books allowed, ask your DM maybe) that allows you to create infinite masterwork daggers as a free action (I think it's called Gaunlets of Infinite Blades, 6500gp). You can also create some magic ones, expending some charges (max of 5 charges, renewable each day) of the gloves, to the max of a +3 seeking bane (of your choice) dagger for the 5 charges.

There is also the Throwing Gloves, for 2000gp, wich enchants any throwing weapon that you hold with the throwing and returning properties, enabling to enchant the daggers you buy with more useful enchants.

About Master Thrower, don't pick classes wich grants precission damage, it's a trap. It was erratae'd and with the Palm Throw trick you don't get the precission damage on the second weapon. Choose instead classes or combos that grants you static bonuses, those do stack. And enchantments like Wounding (1 point of CON damage per hit at touch AC per dagger? Yes please!) on the weapons. I would recommend you the Palm Throw trick (you can throw two daggers per attack, don't add the bonus to STR to none of them), the Trip Shot (ranged trip attempt using your DEX mod instead of STR with a +4 bonus) for added options, and of course the last trick MUST be Weak Spot (your attacks are against touch AC).

A nice entry would be just plain Fighter for the feats. Other options may exist, I'll add them later if you are interested.

EDITED: of course, only 4 levels of fighter and 1 level of a class with full BAB progression. Fighter 4 / Ranger 1 / MT 5 it's a simple one. Barbarian for the d12 hp could be nice too.

Grayson01
2013-08-05, 07:39 PM
Brutal Throw I think is the Ranged Power Attack for 3.5 But I am Away from my books so could be wrong.

Fyermind
2013-08-05, 07:56 PM
Actually it's power throw, and it's not bad especially if it works with weak spot and palm throw.

Averis Vol
2013-08-05, 07:58 PM
I am going to second Whisperknife as it lets you flank with ranged weaponry, and is in my opinion the best class for a thrower. As has been said, if you can swing dragon 310 and the dragon compendium, you can effectively get your dexterity to damage twice (One with targeteer fighter, the other with the deadeye feat). If you aren't married to skipstones (I know I love them) you can instead use daggers with a three level dip in Swashbuckler to add int to that also. If you can swing champions of ruin also, craven is an invaluable feat.

This is all a lot of "If" advice, but if you can swing even one or two of these extras you should be fine and set on damage, then just use the typical twf, rapid shot, palm throw, haste set up to get those numbers thrown up.

FireGriver
2013-08-05, 08:18 PM
Actually it's power throw, and it's not bad especially if it works with weak spot and palm throw.

It should work, but wouldn't be a good choice for a Palm Throw based build, since STR will be one of your dump stats. And Power Throw has 2 feats as prereqs., in a feat-starved build.

If the added INT for Swashbuckler is not precission damage, a fun build could be Swash 3 / Ranger 2 / MT 5.

Race: Strongheart Halfling (RoF I think)

Stats: Dex > Con > Int

Feats: Weapon Finesse (Swash 1), TWF (Ranger 2), Point Blank Shot (Halfling, prereq.), Precise Shot (Level 1, prereq.), Weapon Focus: Dagger (Level 3, prereq.)

Tricks: Palm Throw (MT 1), Trip Shot (MT 3), Weak Spot (MT 5)

At level 6 with a full attack you can already do (just counting BAB) a +6/+1 routine with 2 daggers each for a total of 4 daggers attacks or a +4/+4/-1 with TWF for a total of 6 daggers attacks. Add INT to damage. And add any DEX and Enhacement bonus to attacks.

When you make those attacks (at level 10) against touch AC and add 1 CON damage per dagger (wounding enchant), it gets silly. And at level 11 with ITWF you could do up to 5 attacks for the total of 10 daggers you asked for. :)

Useful feats at level 6 and 9: Far Shot, ITWF.

Items/Feats not in the list of allowed books: Dead Eye (feat, add DEX to damage at 30', Dragon Compendium), Gaunlets of Throwing (2000gp., add the Throwing and Returning enhacements to any hold weapon, MiC)

EDIT: useful feats, tricks for the MT, and items and feats worth beggin' for to the DM.

Invader
2013-08-05, 09:03 PM
The dead eye feat (dragon 304) hi e's you dex to damage for ranged weapons and if I remember correctly it doesn't replace str so by raw you get the damage from both.

The gauntlet of infinite blades only let's you get a dagger with a swift action so unless your DM rules you can just pull out as many as you want it's pretty much a waste.

Averis Vol
2013-08-05, 11:41 PM
Swashbucklers additional damage is precision unfortunately.

Talionis
2013-08-06, 10:54 AM
Tome of Battle has Bloodstorm Blade prestige class. That can get you returning on all your attacks and give you more options since you can attack like you were in Melee even when you through the weapons.