PDA

View Full Version : Encounter at the Plesiosaur Graveyard - Ideas Needed!

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:02 PM
In my last campaign, one of the encounters I didn't have a chance to run involved the underwater exploration of a plesiosaur graveyard, not far below the surface in a subtropical sea. Since the PCs were low-ish level, I wanted to incorporate a diving bell and a search through the silt covering the plesiosaur skeletons.

We didn't make it to this encounter, which was just as well, since I wasn't really satisfied with what I'd originally come up with for the challenges. At some point, however, I'd love to use this encounter again. So, any ideas?

RFLS
2013-08-05, 04:11 PM
What ideas are you looking for, exactly? What you have sounds, in general terms, very fun. Are you looking for a monster that could be inhabiting the graveyard, or just some reason for them to be there at all?

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:21 PM
Well, I'd originally come up with a treasure-hunting rationale for the PCs to be down there, and I wanted to include the diving bell as a way to add some physical hazards to underwater work.

For actual encounters at the graveyard site, the best I could come up with at the time was "sea-elven biker gang," which seems fairly ridiculous now that I've thought about it. I'd like...something down there, but something a little more imaginative than rogue sea elves, sahaguin, or the standard undersea encounters.

Haven't thought about it for a while, but just came back to the idea and wouldn't mind a few suggestions.

RFLS
2013-08-05, 04:33 PM
If you've got access to MM II or III (can't remember which, and I'm AFB), check out the Morkoth. It's a nasty little underwater critter that acts as a snare predator. Very, very dangerous for a low level party in an underwater environment.

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:39 PM
That is one awesomely vicious critter. MM2, p. 152.

Heh: "An ambitious DM could map out the mazelike tunnel system and allow the characters to try to work their way through it." Between the critter and the tunnel, that's a marine encounter all on its own.

Definitely worth thinking about. Not sure if would quite work for the plesiosaur graveyard, though; I'd been thinking something more mobile for that, something that might be attracted by activity or the sounds of the diving bell. Something oceanic, and yet...unnatural.

Hm.

RFLS
2013-08-05, 04:42 PM
I wonder if you could get someone to make you something.... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293309) =P If you're interested, just post in that thread, specify CR, terrain, and any particulars for the critter. I'd do it here, but I'd like the thread to gain some traction (most of the dormant requests are from people that haven't specified what they're after, exactly).

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:49 PM
Interesting, I'll check that out...although other ideas are still welcome. I'm not averse to pitting one of your creations against something else horrific, and letting the PCs try to defend the diving bell while a mighty confrontation goes on around them....

:smallbiggrin:

Crasical
2013-08-05, 04:53 PM
I wonder if you could get someone to make you something.... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293309) =P If you're interested, just post in that thread, specify CR, terrain, and any particulars for the critter. I'd do it here, but I'd like the thread to gain some traction (most of the dormant requests are from people that haven't specified what they're after, exactly).

:smalltongue: Hey, no luring in new customers when you haven't done my creature yet.

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:57 PM
It's okay, I'm still taking suggestions here, so he can work on yours first.

:smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-05, 05:07 PM
There's some good stuff in Stormwrack. How 'bout a blackskate (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/storm_gallery/90748.jpg), a giant undead manta ray thing made up of discarded bones and scales? Perhaps some angullians (http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/dnd/anguillian.jpg), a bunch of lampry-people?

Palanan
2013-08-05, 06:50 PM
Well, I've never been a big fan of Stormwrack, for a lot of reasons.

Still looking for off-the-wall oceanic ideas.

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-05, 10:44 PM
Well, I've never been a big fan of Stormwrack, for a lot of reasons.

Still looking for off-the-wall oceanic ideas.

Just mentioning those are rather conflicting ideas.

Anyway, there are several servants of Dagon, the ancient demon lord, who's both underwater, and so horrifying that you might go crazy from seeing him. What sort of CR we talking about here?

Palanan
2013-08-06, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf
Just mentioning those are rather conflicting ideas.

Hm? Not sure what you mean here. I love all things oceanic, but I've always been unimpressed by Stormwrack.

As for CR, I'm thinking there would be 2-3 PCs of about fourth or fifth level, plus 1-2 NPCs. Maybe CR 5-7ish?

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-06, 12:31 PM
As for CR, I'm thinking there would be 2-3 PCs of about fourth or fifth level, plus 1-2 NPCs. Maybe CR 5-7ish?

If you have space for a boss, the aspect of Dagon is CR 9, and is quite nifty.

Palanan
2013-08-06, 05:50 PM
CR 9 is a little too high for what I'm thinking of. Going more for "terrifying creatures from the deep," sort of thing. Natural but unnatural, if you know what I mean.

Nightgaun7
2013-08-27, 11:18 AM
"sea-elven biker gang"

How is this not awesome?

Alas...

subject42
2013-08-27, 11:49 AM
How about a few (complete arcane) pseudonatural octopuses (http://boingboing.net/images/_images_octopus_w_96_tentacles_1.jpg)?

Advance them to four hit die, then slap on the pseudonatural template.

The end result would be something like this, all for what I believe is a CR 4 creature.

Four hit die
DR 5/magic
Acid and Electricity Resist 5
Spell Resistance 14
Alien form: Attackers take a morale penalty against it
Intelligence increased to 3
(Su) True Strike once per day
Improved Grab
Ink Cloud
Jet

Palanan
2013-08-27, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the 96-tentacled octopus there.

:smalleek:

Theoretically I had a request pending for something awesome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15762528&postcount=76), but it seems to be on hold for now. One understands that life happens, and the fall semester is starting up...but I still hold out hope that someday, something will appear.

:smallsmile:

Zubrowka74
2013-08-27, 01:35 PM
How about a colony of fiendish sea cucumbers ? They were awakened by a mad/evil wizard and worship some monstrosity from the outer plane, Juiblex perhaps ? They also might come from one of the hellish river, the Styx or the Lethe.