PDA

View Full Version : Dragonslayers IC

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 04:11 PM
You have been hired by a man named Malius Kain. He is likely one of the top ten most powerful people in Findalas. He holds massive tracts of land and a small army to enforce his power.

All of that is worthless in the face of dragons. That is why he has hired you.

You have made your way to the Kain manor home. It is out in the countryside and forms it's own little city in the woods. It houses his compound, his servants, the core of his military base, and the farms that feed what little food has grown this year.

You all arrive at the gates of the compound. They are large wrought iron barricades. A guard stands in a tower to the left, and a stone wall extends in both directions. It is just after noon, and your appointed time to arrive.

Place yourself in scene, and you arrive in order of postings.

AngryCyc
2013-08-05, 04:22 PM
Flip

Flip is tired. He has been walking all morning. This blasted sun is much too hot for his liking, what without the shade of the trees he is used to blocking the heat...

Finally he comes into view of the compound. He can clearly make out the figure of a guard up in a tower...

Well, better do this the right way...

He makes himself as obvious as possible, walking in the middle of the road, with his hands visibly empty lest he be taken as a threat of any sort. When he gets to within earshot of the guard, he calls out to him, "GREETINGS GOOD SIR! I come upon invitation!" with a rather goofy wave meant to disarm and to convey his less-than-dangerous intent...

RFLS
2013-08-05, 04:31 PM
Samuel:

Nigel approaches, almost without being seen, from the woods. He seems to step from shadow to shadow without ever quite being in between, and, when he's at last at the gate, it's almost before the guard spots him.

Stopping behind Flip, he yells up to the guard: "And the same for me!"

AngryCyc
2013-08-05, 04:38 PM
"Oh hello there good sir! I almost didn't see you. How are you today? Flip says as he takes a seat on the ground.

http://www.plognark.com/Art/Sketches/Blogsketches/2010/goblin_moon_close_up_600.jpg

The Dragon
2013-08-05, 04:41 PM
Edward

Edward came down the road, in an easy jog he'd been keeping up for a few hours now. He was rather rugged in appearence: his clothes had not been washed for a few days and there was week-old stubble, a short beard, really, on his chin. A blue headband served the dual functions of keeping his hair out of the way, and covering up his mangled eye-socket.

His remaining eye were alert though, the icy blue stare alternating between scanning the road, the countryside, and most frequently, the skies.

As he approached the gates, he slowed down. He greeted the others with a grunt and a nod, looking over the goblin and the man in turn. Guess it takes all kinds, he thought, just the hint of a wry grin on his lips.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-05, 04:45 PM
The guard takes one look at you and waves to someone behind him. There is suddenly four men in Kain uniforms and halberds opening the gate with a show of gravitas. You are motioned in and as you enter a willowy looking man in an ornate black silk servants outfit arrives in a way that suggests that while he was just rushing over, would never appear to rush in front of a guest.

"Good afternoon. You would be Mister Flip and Sir Nigel. Please follow me, Master Kain will be attending shortly after everyone has arrived. He dislikes repeating himself and would prefer to spend his efforts elsewhere until the opportune moment."

You are then lead wordlessly to an outbuilding that turns out to be a moderate sized banquet hall. Inside is a room maybe 50ft by 25ft, and it is dominated by a large oblong table in the center. There are seven chairs set around it. Three are large throne like seats, three are normal sized, and one is a tall shin chair for a small individual.

The table is covered in a spread of chilled meats, cheeses, fresh spring vegetables, and candied fruits, far more than seven could eat. Pitchers of wine are set out, and a keg of what looks like meed is set off to a corner.

Six servants stand quietly, eyes averted, around the edges of the room.

"Please wait here. Feel free to refresh yourself and eat." intones the well dressed man who lead you here. He then departs wordlessly.

RFLS
2013-08-05, 04:49 PM
Samuel:

Samuel rests his bow against the wall, and, unslinging his knapsack, sets it down next to the bow. He crosses to the table and sits, hands folded, waiting for his companions to sit before he eats.

AngryCyc
2013-08-05, 04:53 PM
Flip

Assuming the small chair must be for him, Flip takes his seat. Seeing the fine spread of food before him, he begins to flick little pieces of fruit up in the air, and catch it in his mouth...

BECAUSE I CAN, first roll of a new game!! Perform(comedy) [roll0]

The Dragon
2013-08-05, 05:34 PM
Edward

Edward put down his weapons, quiver, backpack and various purses. He then sat down. He then pulled out one of the standard sized chairs, and sat down, Back straight, head high, and feet placed shoulderwidth on the floor. He surveyed the room, took note special note of the exits, and where the servants where placed in relation. He briefly glanced at Samuel, and nodded at him. He observed the goblin starting eating. He decided to ignore... It.

RFLS
2013-08-05, 05:40 PM
Samuel:

Samuel chuckles at the goblin's antics and tosses a grape into his mouth.

Ranged Attack Roll to put it in his mouth: [roll0] (-4 for non-proficiency =P

"So how is everyone?" he asks, rolling some meat around a bit of cheese.

jojolagger
2013-08-05, 06:28 PM
Tedd

Normally, Tedd wouldn't bother getting involved in worldly affairs, but this was a special case. Annam damned dragons. Walks toward the gate with some haste, informing the guard "I was invited by Kain. Directions." Without waiting for the guard to respond, he walks up to and through the gate, somehow paying the wrought iron even less attention than the guard.

Burning one of my anklet's daily teleports to bypass the gate.

Shazek
2013-08-05, 10:37 PM
A very tall man, with jagged, pale skin, almost like rock, strides up to the gate from the road. Gruul Dragonkiller looks determined- and terrifying. He came to kill the beasts that would dare to take what was his from him - and will stop at nothing to end them. Seeing the guards posted on the wall, he shouts up in his booming voice, "I am expected. Allow me entrance."

Having announced his arrival, he begins to fiddle impatiently with the massive chain curled up on his back.

cameronpants
2013-08-06, 11:31 AM
Sir Edward Minor

The road to the keep was taxing, many roots and potholes tripping Talia and making her misstep. "There, there, my friend," says Edward, stroking her mane, "we're nearly there. The forest is no place for us, is it? We belong so much closer to the ocean."

Rider and mount approach the gates carefully. Noting the guards upon the wall, Sir Minor erects his standard, and sends a puff of air into this single-note trumpet. He slings the horn and cups his mouth as he calls.

"I am Sir Edward Minor of the Calkesh family! I have been invited by Malius Kain!"

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-06, 02:48 PM
The senchal arrives to meet the new group arriving at the gate. He ushers you polity into the meeting hall and bids you to sit and enjoy the food.

He then departs with promises that Master Kain will arrive shortly.

RFLS
2013-08-06, 02:53 PM
Samuel:

"So....anyone know anything about this Kain?"

AngryCyc
2013-08-06, 03:06 PM
Flip

"Other than that he wants us to kill some dragons..? Yeaaahhhhno."

The Dragon
2013-08-06, 03:11 PM
Edward Fletcher

"Nothing much. Heard he'd pay to see dragons dead. Figure'd if I was going to do this I might as well take his money."

Edward watches the newcomers intently for a few moments. He then appears to get bored, and goes back to keeping tabs on the room in general.

cameronpants
2013-08-06, 04:09 PM
Sir Edward Minor

Edward strides confidently into the room, smiling and making eye contact as he goes. He introduces himself, and sits. Pouring himself a goblet of drink, he raises it before drinking.

Shazek
2013-08-06, 07:23 PM
Gruul walks into the room proudly, then surveys those already present. He proceeds to fill a glass with the mead and grasp several of the cheeses. "Hnph. At least this man knows how to eat."

RFLS
2013-08-07, 09:15 PM
Samuel:

"Heheh. Yes, he does indeed."

Samuel waggles a knowing eyebrow at this as he pops a grape in his mouth.

AngryCyc
2013-08-07, 09:33 PM
Flip

"HAHAHAHAHAH!!! Ahhh.... Yes. Yes. I get it.

Because this food is really delicious. How generous of him."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 11:13 AM
There is a commotion at one end of the room as six new servants enter. They quickly pour wine into a large goblet and set up a plate of all the foods around the large chair at their end of the room.

As the flurry of preparations continue, Malius Kain strides into the room. He is a massive man, over six feet tall, and probably taller in his prime. In his prime, he must have been a giant of a man, and in his old age he has only added girth to his height, lots of girth. He looks old, tired, but at the same time strong and proud. He has a sharp look of judgement in his eyes as he pauses to look you over.

Then he strides forward on powerful legs that move him quickly despite the mass of his body. He pulls the chair reserved for him back in one swift motion and moves to sit in the empty space it once occupied. A servant rushes forward and pushes the chair into place at the last moment.

Without a word, Malius takes the goblet of wine and takes a long, savoring draw. Once he is done, he breathes and settles himself down. He begins talking to the group in a firm voice.

"I am sorry for the delay, I was just meeting with the general in charge of the eastern front. He showed me a problem that I think will be a fitting first task for you to earn your titles as dragonslayers. I must be brief, as a delegation from Farax will arrive shortly and I must prepare for talk of trade.

There is a red dragon that has been flying around the eastern front between Farax and Findalas. It had disappeared and we had hoped it went east for Farax to deal with, but it appears that it did not. It seems to have decided to settle on a range that is dangerously close to a town that is under my protectorate. The local militia is the best the town could expect, but this is a dragon. It must be dealt with as that town supplies a large harvest of wheat every year.

I want you to go kill it. I will pay 300 platinum each for the head of the beast, and formally sponsor you as dragonslayers. That means you will be able to speak with my name and command those who are loyal to me if doing so will protect my holdings, and I will provide an enchanted cloak to each of you signifying such. I am informed that is also protects the wearer vs dragonbreath. I will also provide access to many of my considerable resources to make your efforts effective and lives comfortable, this means housing, smiths, magewrights, and soldiers.

To aid you, I can spare 40 men. Ten pikemen, twenty bowmen, and two siege units with heavy ballista.

You objectives are to travel to the town of Eastbrook and set up the defenses to ensure the town's safety. Then kill the dragon. The town is a solid days march to the east. The men will be ready to leave in the morning. For the night my senchal will see to your needs. If you desire anything, all you have to do is ask.

So, my fine dragonslayers, do you accept?"

AngryCyc
2013-08-08, 11:18 AM
Flip

......"heh... hahaha... Ahh. I get it now.

I accept. This sounds like a noble and glorious cause! Does anyone know whereabout the dragon's lair might be precisely?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 11:20 AM
"We are under the understanding that it is East of the town, but not precisely where. Scouts reported back that it wasn't any of the other areas around the town, and the eastern scouts didn't report back."

AngryCyc
2013-08-08, 11:23 AM
"Mmhhmm... I see. And his hoard, should we find it... Does this go to you, or to us? Or to the town..?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 11:25 AM
"As per custom with dragonslaying, the horde is yours. If my lands needed more wealth, that I could provide that. Holding the land is the problem."

Shazek
2013-08-08, 12:30 PM
Gruul chuckles - a deep, resonating sound. "A mere day away? I suppose I can kill one sooner than expected. Shame we have to stay the night though. I'd rather get to the killing sooner."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 01:23 PM
"You may depart as soon as you wish. My hospitality for the night is a offer, not an order. I only as you stay as a group, as I have spent considerable expense gathering you together. Let me put this bluntly. I have hired you to work as a group because I do not think any of you will survive working alone, or even in the absence of a single member of the group. The soldiers can follow at cart speeds as soon as they are ready if you choose to leave before them."

cameronpants
2013-08-08, 02:40 PM
Sir Edward Minor

Edward watches the chatter between men, and ruminates. There were six dragonslayers, all said and done. Edward studied their armor, their posture, their expressions. He listen to their words. He thought of forty men holding a town against a dragon- he thought long and hard about what their faces and postures looked like.

Bringing him to his senses was Gruul, who seemed eager, mentioning leaving early.

"Indeed. Should we leave early, we can prepare the town for when your forty militia arrive. We will have a clear idea of the layout and likely approach of a dragon. From there, we can set out and hunt the beast." Edward picks up some cheese and looks to Gruul. "You sound familiar with killing. Were you a fighter in the Early War?"

RFLS
2013-08-08, 04:00 PM
Samuel:

"I agree. Let's leave tonight."

The Dragon
2013-08-08, 04:11 PM
Edward listened attentively. The anticipation of the impending hunt was coiled in his stomach like a viper. The sooner that tention was relieved, the better. "Yes. We leave as soon as we are able. Asuming we slay the beast, do we know the location of its hoard?" No sense in walking in blind.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 04:28 PM
Malius nods and seems pleased by the eagerness of the group to depart.

"I understand the beasts rarely part with their horde of treasure for more than a few hours. Find where the beast sleeps and you find the horde."

With that Malius lifts his bulk out of his chair.

"It pleases me that you are focused on the task at hand. I will send word to the stables to release any mounts you require to you. I must go now prepare to talk of mines with a very boring man. I await your return to tell me all about how you slay this dragon."

The mass of a man then leaves the room as quickly as he entered. The flurry of servants who entered the room before him quickly gather his wine goblet and straighten the chair before following him out of the room. In all the flurry of activity you notice the Senchal is standing by the door you entered from. You are not sure when exactly he arived, but he stands there now.

"I understand you desire to leave as soon as practical. Please let me know if there is any way I can speed or comfort your travels. I am at your disposal until your departure"

AngryCyc
2013-08-08, 04:51 PM
Flip

"Yeah... Hey. I uh..... I don't like horses..."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 05:02 PM
"We are also stable to several dogs suitable for riding if you would prefer. They are normally used in hunting, but they are fully trained as mounts and bred for speed. They would have no problem keeping up with a light horse if needed."

AngryCyc
2013-08-08, 05:29 PM
"..... Dogs aren't much better. Do you have anything else?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 06:31 PM
The Senchal raises an eyebrow inquisitively.

"What do you have in mind? I will do my best to fill any request."

AngryCyc
2013-08-08, 06:36 PM
Flip

"Just... Anything that's not a dog or a horse."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 06:44 PM
The Senchal thinks for a moment, then nods.

"I may have something that will work." He motions to a nearby servant who hurries over. He whispers something to the servant and the servant quickly departs.

A short while later the same servant arrives hesitantly leading an animal on a lead. It is a saddled bird that stands roughly six feet tall, glaring at the little man who is dragging it around.

"This is called an Ax-Beak. They are temperamental, but they are fast. They come from the far west. The Master bought a small flock on a whim and we have been cultivating them ever since. He will not miss this one, and it is for a good cause."

Shazek
2013-08-08, 08:32 PM
"The Early War? Never heard of it. I was a king among my people in the mountains, before one of the ten-times damned beasts destroyed what was mine. I will kill them all for this."

cameronpants
2013-08-08, 10:32 PM
Sir Edward Minor

"That explains it."
He takes another few bites and gulps down his drink. Edward stands nods to the men at the table, and moves to the door.
Before leaving, he turns his head, and says, "Talia needs some grooming before we leave. I'll be in the stables. I'll see you men on out way out."

RFLS
2013-08-09, 09:51 AM
Samuel:

Samuel quietly readies his gear and goes to wait for the rest of the group by the main gate.

AngryCyc
2013-08-09, 10:14 AM
Flip

Flip is also ready to go, seen outside playing around with the Axe Beak trying to get comfortable riding it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-09, 10:35 AM
The beast nips at the goblin playfully. He narrowly avoid getting an artery cut. You can tell the beast isn't war trained though, but is trained for riding.

After everyone has settled the issue of mounts and final requests, the group sets off. To get to the town before nightfall requires you to push your mounts to exhaustion, and night has already fallen when you crest the final hills over that reveal the town of Eastbrook.

Except there are no lights from the town.

For those with Low Light vision

The town is leveled. Not a single wall in the town is still standing. Everything has been toppled. You see no motion anywhere.

RFLS
2013-08-09, 10:37 AM
Samuel:

"Well...this is awkward. Tell me, Flip, what do your goblin eyes see?"

AngryCyc
2013-08-09, 10:43 AM
Flip

"The town is leveled. Not a single wall in the town is still standing. Everything has been toppled. I see no motion anywhere.

Shazek
2013-08-09, 11:21 AM
Gruul growls quietly at the goblin's words. "Well now, that's interesting. Shall we take a closer look?"

Darkvision 60ft.
Spot: [roll0]

Do I see anything?

cameronpants
2013-08-09, 11:31 AM
Sir Edward Minor

Edward approaches the ruined town, hoping the rest of the team follows him in. He looks for any places survivors may have fled to; basements, cellars, irrigation ditches, sewer drains. He also looks for scorch marks, and sniffs the air. He also keeps a wary eye out for corpses.
"'Twas a red dragon we were sent to slay, yes? This looks less the work of fire and more the work of a great amount of physical exertion. These buildings, stone and wood, would take time to obliterate."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-09, 11:34 AM
You explore the town in the dark. It was about forty buildings with

The first thing you notice is a lack of smell. There is no ash, no burning that you can detect.

You find some blood on the ground, but no bodies. The blood isn't enough to suggest a slaughter.

The structures where toppled with shear force, and you note huge claw marks on many of the breaks. It was more that each individual structure was pushed down until nothing stood just because, not as collateral in some battle.

Search DC 25 (15 if you have track)

There was a large gathering in the center of town before the destruction. Those who fled, fled from there. There isn't near enough blood for the number of people who's tracks you can find. The gathering must have been the whole town and guard. At least 100 people. There is only enough blood for maybe 10 or so people to have died.

Also, there are huge dragon footprints all over the place. Forgot to post that.

Shazek
2013-08-09, 04:53 PM
"Well now, it seems the beast is quite strong. Makes me want to kill it even more. No fire though... perhaps it didn't want to give warning? I say we find the lair and deal with this the simple way."

jojolagger
2013-08-09, 05:14 PM
Tedd
"The Dragon didn't want to waste time making sure it killed them all. It smashed the buildings as a show of force, and probably killed anyone who actually managed to draw it's attention. It's lair is probably quite near; you wouldn't walk for hours to smash an ant hill. Which means it's probably in range." Says Tedd, seemingly more to Gruul than anyone else, before reaching for the charm on his necklace and tracing arcane runes over it with his finger.

Spell Storing Item infusion to lay of the land, which doesn't say "here is the lair" but should grant enough knowledge of surrounding lands to note any good places for the lair to be, caves and the such. MiC version is more recent, but planar handbook one is cooler and sees further, thought both should have enough range because I doubt the dragon wants to spend more than 2 hours flying there and more than 2 hours flying back just to break some stuff.

Senchal will have been left with the construct, instructed to give it access to the smithy, and whatever supplies it needs, drawing from my payment from the dragonslaying if needed. Construct will start work on my +1 Harrowheart (Evil) Dragonhunter Scythe, assuming it is allowed, thought it'll likely take some time to make (the 300 PP won't be enough, but I should be back with lair funds before the crafting gets that far).

AngryCyc
2013-08-09, 05:49 PM
Flip

No idea at all what the actual rolls and what not's for it might be, but I'm assuming Survival and if I'm wrong, just tell me what to roll. But
Survival [roll0]

Flip begins carefully analyzing the tracks and remains of whatever happened here. He tries to carefully follow any time the Dragon seems to have landed, paying special attention to the last time it appears to have taken off and the direction it was facing...

"If I were to hazard a guess... My bet is that this dragon came into town to... to scare the people away. I think he probably met very little resistance, and quickly killed the couple people who did try to fight. Meanwhile, everyone else was rounded up and either voluntarily or not driven from the town. The dragon seems to have been more concerned with knocking down the town. These clues combined can lead me to only one conclusion:

The dragon is rounding up slaves. He must need people, and a large number of them, for things like counting his piles of gold or scratching the parts of his belly he can't reach. We should look for any tracks that the townsfolk left. That will surely guide us to the dragon's lair!"

.......Flip is not an intelligent goblin.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-09, 07:11 PM
Flip determines that the dragon took off and landed using the road of the east side of town. The dragon took off to the east and landed going west. It did so a number of times.

RFLS
2013-08-10, 05:42 PM
Samuel:

"Well.... Looks like it went back to wherever it came from. I suppose we should be after the beast, although I'm not sure what to do with the soldiers that have been sent to deal with....this." Samuel gestures and grimaces.

"A night's rest, perhaps?"

Swapped my text color to not be similar to other people's XD

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-11, 07:59 PM
The party makes camp among the ruins. You cannot find a singe standing wall, but the weather is blessedly mild for early spring, and your bedrolls keep you warm and no rain falls.

Dawn comes easily. You think to your reinforcements who will arrive in roughly 10 hours. You have some time to kill, and a dragon.

RFLS
2013-08-11, 08:09 PM
Samuel:

"We...seem to have some time. Let's make tracks for that cave system, shall we?"

Samuel begins packing his belongings, eager to be on the road to the dragon.

jojolagger
2013-08-11, 11:57 PM
Tedd:

"It's worrying that the bodies were taken too. Hopefully, the dragon has a necromancer it plans to sell to, or was just hungry, as opposed to gathering them to stop us learning of it's movements via magic. Either way, I'll be glad to be done with this dragon and having the funds to build up a proper warband. Let's travel with all haste to the Forest of Pillars, and keep an eye to the sky." Says Tedd, while tracing arcane runes onto his gloves.

Spell storing item of Downdraft on each glove. Should be able to pull the dragon down to us. Saving the townsfolk if they're already sold will be problematic, if not sold yet, try to counter bid the drow to buy time for me to position.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-12, 06:41 AM
The group reaches the cave system without much hassle after a good few hours of riding. You stuck to valleys the best you could, and there is tree cover that develops past the farmland. You saw no sign of dragon. You arrive around nine in the morning.

You can tell (from the lay of the land spell) that there are three major openings to the cave. Erosion had worn away a hillside leaving a large opening full of stalactites. There is a cave opening a ways to the west, where the river has cut through a hill and sends a trickle of water down the cave. Finally, there is a large braced stone entryway cut from crude stone that has stood for as long as anyone has known this cave. It leads to a clear path into the cave. It is well known because it is crude, but clearly made by mortal hands, though nobody knows who.

AngryCyc
2013-08-12, 06:53 AM
Flip

"Well look at that... Three openings huh? Back home in th north we ran into an old tomb that had 3 entrances once. Oh my gods was that place a horror. Ever since then I always, ALWAYS take the middle most entrance. No matter how the other two look. They're probably booby trapped to collapse on us, or trap us forever behind a wall of stone or something equally awful..."

Flip seems to fade out to a different time as he recounts his story. His eyes gloss over and he bears the look of someone who had experienced great pain at the hands of an unfair god. Then he snaps back and adds "So where to?"

Shazek
2013-08-12, 10:16 AM
"I like the look of the hillside entrance. Reminds me of the Cave of Trials in the mountains back home."

RFLS
2013-08-12, 10:51 AM
Samuel:

"That sounds good to me. Let's go, but carefully, and quietly. After all, we wouldn't want to disturb it."

Hide: [roll0]
MS: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

The Dragon
2013-08-12, 11:00 AM
Edward

"I don't like this. There should be clawmarks, burnt trees, an the like around here. Dragons are not subtle of nature."

He keeps alert, alternating between watching the sky and the entrances to the cave. A thought strikes him. "I would much rather fight that dragon out in the open where I can see it, and we can spread out. It's no good, shooting in dark, cramped caves."

OOC
rolled spot and hide ooc. I'll roll move silently here.
M.S.[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-08-12, 01:44 PM
Sir Edward Minor

"Either I should go ahead of the quiet ones, or stay far behind. I can be used as bait, if need be, to flush the beast out. I do fit the profile of the foolhardy, one-on-one challenger, do I not?" Sir Minor smiles, and then lowers his faceplate from his helmet.
"I shall proceed a good fifty feet ahead or behind the rest of the group. Which do you all prefer?" Edward's voice is slightly muffled from the metal helmet on his head.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

At least I'm pretty.

RFLS
2013-08-12, 01:48 PM
Samuel:

"I'd prefer ahead. You look like you can handle a dragon gnawing on your for a couple of minutes, huh?" Samuel grins at the group.

The Dragon
2013-08-12, 02:15 PM
Edward very nearly smiled at the jape. His mouth didn't twitch, but anyone who studied his face would have seen his usually steely eye glint with a warm humor.

"Aye, ahead so we can hear it eat you."

cameronpants
2013-08-12, 02:16 PM
Sir Edward Minor

"I have not yet had the pleasure, so I know not if I would be able to. However, there is no better time to find out!"
He nods to the group and heads into the cave entrance, trying his best to at least have his footfalls be silent. Sir Minor glances over his shoulder at Edward's comment.
"Then I'll slay it as it swallows me. If this happens, the dividends of its hoard belong to me!" Sir Minor jeers back, and trudges away.

The Dragon
2013-08-12, 02:26 PM
Edward runs up to Sir Minor, and mutters a few words before he touches the knight on his shoulders. "Just a little something to prevent you from being roast. I hear dragons like to bake their food before they eat it. Good luck." Edward then waits with the rest of the team, until Sir Minor has disappeared into the caves mouth.
casting Protection From Energy: Fire on sir Edward. He gains fire resistance 10 for 30 minutes.

RFLS
2013-08-13, 03:02 PM
Samuel:

Samuel, too, casts a spell on himself, and then follows Sir Edward after a brief wait. His bow is ready, and he has an arrow resting lightly on the string as he cautiously moves forward.

Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Casting Protection from Energy (Fire) on myself. Duration 60.

EDIT: Holy crap the forum roller just absolutely hates me.

AngryCyc
2013-08-13, 03:54 PM
Flip

Flip looks back and sees everyone casting spells on themselves. He figures they'll catch up, and he begins walking though the stream that has cut a path through the caves...

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-13, 04:01 PM
The party sneaks into the cave system, talking quietly back and forth. You enter through the small stream that cuts into the cave. It is a narrow path that winds down into the earth, far too much so for a dragon to manage. The path opens into a wider, damp cave with time.

The cave has a collapsed wall that opens up what appears to be a large open cavern. In the cavern there are paintings along the walls. They appear to be crude hand painting showing dragons and men, with the men bowing before the dragons giving it tribute and erecting a zygeraut so it lords over them from above. There is writing as well, some of it faded, but some is legible. Among the stalactites, there are stone blocks that look hewn, and the walls look like they where worked stone ages ago.

For those who read draconic

Songs of the Mother - The world made for her children
Strength of the Father - The elements are theirs
Glory for the kings of sky, earth, water, and fire

Listen check DC 15

You hear voices echoing from down a large cave to the south.

DC 20

It is definitely human, and lots of them.

There is a large tunnel leading off to the south and one to the east, or you could follow the stream further down.

RFLS
2013-08-14, 03:31 PM
Samuel:

Listen: [roll0]

"These paintings are....strange. I can't say I'm a fan."

AngryCyc
2013-08-14, 03:42 PM
Flip

"Hmm... I hear... voices. Human voices, down that tunnel over there... That seems a little fishy to me. Those cave paintings over there seem to depict people worshipping the dragons. What if it's happening again?

The townsfolk may be voluntarily or not worshipping the dragon. Well. Since we're not here to rescue people, I say we avoid going that route. Too much risk that they might be magically compelled to love the dragon, and then we've lost the element of surprise. Let's keep heading up this stream. What do ya think?"

RFLS
2013-08-14, 03:46 PM
Samuel:

Samuel grunts and says "Sounds good to me."

He splashes up the stream, waiting only for Sir Minor to take the lead.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-15, 06:42 PM
The group heads down the stream for a few hundred feet when the water pool and apparently flows down a hole in the bottom of the pool somewhere.

There is a small hole through one of the walls that looks like it could be crawled through. Through it you see light.

AngryCyc
2013-08-15, 07:40 PM
Flip

Looks like the job for someone small...

Flip approaches the hole and looks through it. If it looks clear, he starts stealthily climbing through it, and motions for the others to follow him...

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-15, 08:00 PM
It is a narrow break in the wall, but short. As the intrepid goblin sticks his head out the other side he sees a large room, maybe 60ft in diameter.

It is a room. The walls are carved in a dome that peaks in a high vaulted ceiling. There are large carved stone entrances to the left and right.

Along the ceiling are painted stars, and there are constellation and the pathways of celestial objects painted in what looks like some kind of star map.

It is the contents of the room that catch your attention though. There appears to be a six sided henge structure carved of heavy stone blocks. Inside appears to be a series of circles and patterns carved into the floor. There is red fluid filling the channels.

The pattern intersects the circles, and when it does, there sits what looks like a large egg. Much larger than any egg you have ever seen. There are 12 eggs in total.

RFLS
2013-08-15, 08:07 PM
Samuel:

"Well? What do you see in there?"

AngryCyc
2013-08-15, 08:27 PM
Flip says what he sees.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-15, 08:32 PM
Don't mind me.

[roll0]

Correction, +21

Oh, I forgot, the room is lit by 4 torches that don't give off smoke of any kind. Each one is spaced around the room in a stone bracket in the wall. One is right next to the crack in the wall.

Knowledge arcana 5

everburning torches.

RFLS
2013-08-16, 01:55 PM
Samuel crawls through the hole, pushing Flip out ahead of him.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2] +4 vs Arcanists
Listen: [roll3] ditto the above.

RFLS
2013-08-16, 03:45 PM
Samuel slowly approaches the eggs, getting close enough to touch them if he can, brushing his fingers over their surface. Then, he kneels and inspects the blood liquid in the channels.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0] to identify them (if that is, in fact, the correct check).

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 03:59 PM
You don't recognize the eggs as anything, but the fluid is dragon's blood. Fresh too. On closer examination the pattern on the floor is directing dragon blood from a reservoir in the center and the eggs are slowly absorbing it.

RFLS
2013-08-16, 04:02 PM
Samuel stares for a second, aghast at whatever it is that needs a dragon's blood to even hatch, and then acts quickly. He draws his short sword, a weapon almost alien to him, and smashes it into the shell of the nearest egg.

The Dragon
2013-08-16, 04:29 PM
Edward Fletcher pokes his head through the hole in the wall, takes one look at the eggs before he unties his longspear from his back, and attempts to drive it through the nearest egg, repeating the proccess as many times as neccesary.

AngryCyc
2013-08-16, 05:00 PM
Welp.

Seeing all that, Flip goes to the stone opening on the left and hides next to it in case anything comes out.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 06:10 PM
The shell of the egg smashes easily under the joint onslaught. Edward's spear impales a creature as it falls from the shell. It is a humanoid shape, but covered in red scales that glisten as they drip amniotic fluid. It looks up at you from the ground confused for a moment as the spear pulls from it's chest, then rage contorts is lizard like face!

Then all the other eggs begin to shake violently.

Damage [roll0] from the spear

Initiative
Samuel Errington - [roll1]
Flip - [roll2]
Edward Fletcher - [roll3]
Tedd - [roll4]
Gruul Dragonkiller - [roll5]
Monsters - [roll6] (-3)

RFLS
2013-08-16, 06:38 PM
Samuel

Samuel steps back from the egg, dropping his sword and drawing his bow. An arrow appears on his string as though by magic. He pauses for a split second, aiming along the shaft of the arrow, and then looses it.

Free action: Drop sword.
Free action: Knowledge Devotion.

If they're covered by Arcane: [roll0]
If they're covered by Local: [roll1]

Move action: Draw bow.
Standard action: Shoot the -not-a-dragonborn-of-Tiamat-

Deadly Aim (-2, +4)
Attack: [roll2] (+3 if it's an Arcanist of some sort, +X (K. Devotion))
Damage: [roll3] + X (K. Devotion) + [roll4] (if evil) + [roll5] (if Arcanist of some sort)
Crit Confirm: [roll6] (+3 if it's an Arcanist of some sort, +X (K. Devotion))
Crit Damage: [roll7] + X (K. Devotion) + 6 (if Arcanist of some sort)

EDIT: For Humanoids, add +2/+2 to attack and damage. For anything covered by K(Arcane), add +3/+3 to attack and damage.

The Dragon
2013-08-16, 08:01 PM
Edward takes a step back, lets his spear clatter to the ground, and draws his bow in one hand, and a vial of red liquid in the other. He quickly wrenches the stopper out with his teeth, and downs the liquid in a gulp.

5' step out of reach of anything that can attack me(free), drawing longbow and potion of fire resistance 20(move), drink down the potion(standard).
Gain resistance to fire 20 for 70 minutes.

cameronpants
2013-08-17, 10:05 AM
Sir Edward Minor

Sir Minor releases a surge of righteous energy and charges headlong into the nearest dragonkin hatchling.

Swift: Rhino's Rush
Free: Divine Might
Full: Charge Attack [roll0]
Damage" [roll1]

Shazek
2013-08-17, 02:39 PM
Gruul gives a mighty roar and leaps at one of the dragonkin, swinging his chain about.

Free action to draw chain w/ Crystal of Return.
Full-Round Action to charge at whichever dragonkin is least injured.

Since they're dragons, +1 to damage from Dragonslayer.
Power attacking for 6, using Shock Trooper to take it from AC.
That's 12 for 2hander, 24 for leap attack.
So a total of 2d4+35 damage
Doubled since this is a charge and I have a valorous weapon, so 4d4+70 damage per attack.

Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage 1:[roll1]
Attack 2:[roll2]
Damage 2:[roll3]

Each of those attacks deals at least 10 damage, so Knockdown is triggered.

Trip Attempts:
If 1 hits:[roll4]
If 2 hits:[roll5]

If either of those deals damage, I get an extra attack from Improved Trip, so:

Improved Trip Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Think that's it. My AC is now 7.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-17, 03:39 PM
Samuel Errington steps back from the fallen dragonborn and calmly places an arrow through it's heart. The light goes from it's eyes as it slumps to the ground.

Then, suddenly, five of the eggs tear open to reveal five more draconic monsters like the first. They tear after the closest humanoids they see. happens to be the illusions of the wizards Flip had created. The confused lizards notice almost immediately they they had been fooled, but not until they had already wasted their precious seconds.

Edward Minor charges one and puts a spear through it's eyes. Brains drip from the point of his spear as it protrudes from the back of a draconic head, and the body falls as he pulls it free.

Edward Fletcher steps back and drinks a potion.

Gruul Dragonkiller then kills some dragons. The massive goliath rushes forward and sends a pair of dragonborn flying from the force of his blows. They are dead before their mangled bodies hit the walls as the force of the spiked chain nearly cut them in half despite their tough scales.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-17, 06:48 PM
As Tedd acts, one of the unhatched eggs floats up towards the roof.

The Dragon
2013-08-18, 03:36 AM
Edward fires at the most dangerous looking enemy.

If anything is treathening him, Edward takes a 5' step away(free action). Then, he takes a full attack. If what he's shooting at dies, he changes tarets, of course. Deadly Aim & Rapid Shot is used. +1 to hit and damage if target is within 30 ft.
First AttackTo Hit:[roll0]
Damage[roll1]+[roll2]Second AttackTo Hit:[roll3]
Damage[roll4]+[roll5]Third AttackTo Hit:[roll6]
Damage[roll7]+[roll8]

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-18, 03:38 PM
Arrows fell the last two standing dragonborn and Edward holds his last shot ready for the next move. The remaining eggs to hatch, giving him a target. His third arrow finds a fleshy part to sink into dropping a third.

The egg that levitated caused the dragonborn to tumble as it falls, dealing [roll0] and fall prone (DC 15 reflex save to stay standing [roll1]

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-18, 03:44 PM
That leaves four dragonborn standing, and one on the ground.

The one that is on the ground stands, and takes a look at the situation. The others charge. Two charge the vulnerable Gruul with their jaws open and angry.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1] - auto confirm due to your AC lower than the attack bonus! Double Damage!
Attack [roll2], damage [roll3]

One charges Edward Fletcher

Attack [roll4], damage [roll5]

And the last charges Samuel Errington

Attack [roll6], damage [roll7]

cameronpants
2013-08-18, 11:34 PM
Sir Edward Minor

Not too sure the layout, so I left it general

Sir Minor takes a few long strides, brandishing his longsword anew, to flank with his nearest ally. He lunges deep, hoping to draw the lifeblood of another red dragonkin.
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

The Dragon
2013-08-19, 03:30 PM
Edward Fletcher steps back from the thing clawing at him, and starts shooting, aiming first for the one who attempted to strike him.

First AttackTo hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]Second AttackTo hit: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]+[roll5]Third AttackTo hit: [roll6]Edit:18
Damage: [roll7]Edit:26+[roll8]

RFLS
2013-08-19, 04:37 PM
Samuel:

Given a little more time, and a lot more space, arrows seem to simply fly from Samuel's bow. "It's like target practice!"

Full Attack Action (If he drops one with an arrow, he aims at the next. He's not very discriminating with his volleys):

Attacks (Deadly Aim):

Attack: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]

Damage (Oh geez):

Damage: [roll3] + [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] + [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8]

Crits:

Attacks (Deadly Aim):

Attack: [roll9]
Attack: [roll10]
Attack: [roll11]

Damage (Oh geez):

Damage: ( [roll12] + [roll13] ) x 2
Damage: ( [roll14] + [roll15] ) x 2
Damage: ( [roll16] + [roll17] ) x 2

Shazek
2013-08-20, 05:57 PM
Gruul turns to the two dragonkin that attacked him and rips into them with his chain.

Not gonna power attack here.. Aiming one at each.

[roll]1d20+13[roll]
[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Should I hit with either attack, I get Knockdown and Improved Trip.

Knockdown for attack 1:
[roll3]

IT: [roll]1d20+13[roll]
[roll4]
And 2:
[roll5]

IT: [roll]1d20+13[roll]
[roll6]

Shazek
2013-08-20, 05:59 PM
Screwed up my attack rolls and need a crit confirm. Sorry for Double Post.

Attack 1 roll: [roll0]

IT 1: [roll1]
IT 2: [roll2]

Crit Confirm: [roll3]

jojolagger
2013-08-20, 06:44 PM
Tedd just stands back and lets the combat people do their thing, not even bothering to draw his bow.

Tedd doesn't really have anything to offer right now unless someone wants to be levitated.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-22, 10:39 AM
A wind blows through the room in an intense burst.

Tedd stands back and lets his companions do the heavy lifting.

Flip looks around the room carefully, mindful of any danger.

Edward Minor tears into the nearest dragonborn with his sword, cutting strongly though the tough hide. Though his sword pierces the beast, it doesn't fall. (18 damage)

Edward Fletcher steps back and puts two arrows into the beast before him. It falls with a gurgle. He fires his remaining shot at Minor's foe, killing it as well.

Gruul Dragonkiller pushes the dragonspawn tearing at him off and savagely beats them into the ground with repeated strikes of his chain. Both dragonborn are left broken on the ground.

Samuel then fires his arrows, placing two arrows in another of the beasts. The beast dies with a rattly gurgle.

The remaining dragonborn looks at the dead and moves to the middle of the room. It takes a deep breath and then falls to Samuel's final shot

One more thing

Listen DC 30
You hear the flapping of wings as the gust of air happens, yes it rolled a nat 20 for this

Spot DC 20

There is an invisible creature in the room, you can't tell where.

Spot DC 45

A large invisible dragon just landed in the entry way to the room.

RFLS
2013-08-22, 10:45 AM
Reflex: [roll0]

EDIT: Well screw me >.>

EDIT EDIT: Oh, forgot my protection from energy. Cool. So not damaged.

cameronpants
2013-08-22, 10:53 AM
[roll0] if this thing is dragonblood, which I believe it is, I get an additional +5 to this save and I have Evasion.

EDIT: Still failed. But I have that Resist Energy spell on so I only take 15

AngryCyc
2013-08-22, 12:12 PM
Flip

Flip keeps watching down the hallway waiting for danger... Still readied action...

The Dragon
2013-08-22, 04:09 PM
Edward pulls out a thin stick from his belt, keeping his bow in his other hand.
"Does anyone need their wounds tended to?" If no-one seems to need it, he restores his wand in his belt pouch, and goes to take a look at the deeper entrances to the caves.

jojolagger
2013-08-22, 04:24 PM
Tedd backs up slightly towards where they had entered the chamber, drawing his two wands.

AngryCyc
2013-08-22, 06:36 PM
Flip

Noticing something invisible, Flip begins casting Detect Magic...

Shazek
2013-08-22, 07:29 PM
Gruul seems to hesitate a moment, before responding to Edward."I could use some healing," he admits grudgingly.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-22, 07:56 PM
Flip casts detect magic, revealing auras around him.

Round 1. There is magic.

[roll0]

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-22, 07:57 PM
Forgot a roll

[roll0]

cameronpants
2013-08-22, 08:10 PM
Sir Edward Minor

Sir Minor cleans his blade on a burlap cloth from a sack. He strides over to Gruul and pats him on the shoulder. As he does so, he lets the natural divinity of his touch mend some of the wounds he has sustained.
"It's definitely not enough, but it will help," admits Minor.

Lay on Hands for all 16 points.

The Dragon
2013-08-23, 12:56 AM
Edward fletcher walks over to Gruul, tapping him lightly with the wand, while maintaining a somewhat respectful distance. He speaks the command word.

Cure light wounds from my wand. [roll0]
I'd repeat it in this post, but I think I should hear what happens with flip's detect magic round 2 first.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-23, 10:07 AM
Round 2

You detect a faint illusion and strong aura of transmutation.

The Dragon
2013-08-23, 10:33 AM
Edward repeats the proccess of poking Gruul, and once again speaks the command word.

Gruul gains [roll0] hp.

AngryCyc
2013-08-23, 10:58 AM
Flip

Flip takes a step to the side, still focusing on the area that is pinging magic.

Shazek
2013-08-23, 03:42 PM
Gruul responds to Edward's aid grudgingly. "Thank you," he growls, sounding as if he has to force the words out. He is not accustomed to this.... politeness.

The Dragon
2013-08-25, 07:52 AM
Edward nods in aknowledgement. "We should move on. Whichever way do you think we should go? Regardless of what we choose, the dragon is sure to be aware of our presence by now."

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-28, 08:02 PM
Everyone but Flip

Nothing of note happens

Flip

You see the auras snap into place. The transmutation aura is all around, and at first you think the illusion aura is as well, but then you realize it's just large, and right next to you. You feel hot breath as the beast seems to look for you.

AngryCyc
2013-08-28, 08:59 PM
Flip

Flip throws down a Feather Token and creates a tree blocking the entrance that the dragon had flown in from. He yells out "INVISIBLE DRAGON IN FRONT OF THE TREE!" and then moves 20 feet down the room towards the other entrance.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-28, 09:07 PM
[roll0]

A large oak tree springs into existence, and it appears to hit a large object. Everyone see rocks scatter and dust shift as a large invisible body hits the dirt.

OOC

I will roll initiative tomorrow. I was honestly not expecting THAT response.

jojolagger
2013-08-28, 09:56 PM
Tedd flees the area via our narrow passage, apparently not wanting to fight the dragon.

Initiative [roll0]
Move Action to move 40 ft. out the chamber, which should be far enough to leave blindsight range, standard action to trigger vanishing armor property, rendering me invisible + for 30 rounds.
I love those tokens. I must remember to make some.

The Dragon
2013-08-29, 01:45 AM
Edward utters a word of magic, accompanied by a twitch of his fingers.

OOC
Casting arrowmind as an immediate action

cameronpants
2013-08-29, 03:08 AM
Sir Edward Minor

"Show yourself, you cowardly beast! I had no idea dragons were such whelps!" Sir Minor yells, trudging toward the great invisible beast. On his way, he reaches down with his thoughts, pulling up a shield of lawful divinity around him.

Free: Speech
Swift: Law Devotion, keyed to AC
Standard: Activating Divine Shield
Move: Moving up to the invisible dragon, probably provoking

AC vs Dragon: 30
Ref vs Dragon: +11 with Evasion

The Dragon
2013-08-29, 04:25 AM
Edward draws a scroll from his bandolier, and rambles off the formula written onto it.

Draw the scroll as a move action, Cast it as a standard. Hunter's Mercy.

RFLS
2013-08-29, 12:57 PM
Samuel:

Samuel concentrates for a brief second, sighting along his bow at the area Flip claims contains a dragon. His hand brushes along his belt, and then his arms are nothing but a blur of motion.

Free action: Blow all three charges from the belt of battle.
Two full attacks. The first full attack uses his spell storing arrows, the second one uses his bane arrows. I'll roll its miss chance for invisibility first. Ones are a miss, twos are a hit:

Miss chance:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Full attack 1 (with Spell Storing arrows):

Attack: [roll6]
Attack: [roll7]
Attack: [roll8]

Damage: [roll9] + [roll10] regular damage + [roll11] Dex damage
Damage: [roll12] + [roll13] regular damage + [roll14] Dex damage
Damage: [roll15] + [roll16] regular damage + [roll17] Dex damage

Crit conf: [roll18]
Crit conf: [roll19]
Crit conf: [roll20]

Crit damage: [roll21] regular damage + [roll22] Dex damage
Crit damage: [roll23] regular damage + [roll24] Dex damage
Crit damage: [roll25] regular damage + [roll26] Dex damage

Full attack 2 (with Bane arrows):

Attack: [roll27]
Attack: [roll28]
Attack: [roll29]

Damage: [roll30] + [roll31]
Damage: [roll32] + [roll33]
Damage: [roll34] + [roll35]

Crit conf: [roll36]
Crit conf: [roll37]
Crit conf: [roll38]

Crit damage: [roll39]
Crit damage: [roll40]
Crit damage: [roll41]

EDIT: I accidentally a letter.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 01:07 PM
Tedd flees from the area and around the corner of the cavern. One Edward draws a scroll and reads it. The other declares a challenge for all to hear.

Then Samuel fires off a silly number of arrows. Almost all of them strike the cavern wall.

Almost all. One arrow vanishes as it strikes something unseen.

A moment of pause falls over the cavern.

AngryCyc
2013-08-29, 01:07 PM
Flip

Flip is dumbfounded for a second and just stares at the sheer number of arrows that seem to have just magically appeared in exact right places... He mumbles a soft Wow.

He is impressed a how many arrows were just fired even if not all of them struck.

jojolagger
2013-08-29, 01:32 PM
Tedd return even faster, invisible, casting true strike from his wand.

move action move 40 ft. back to where I started, swift for chronocharm to move 20 ft. for a more central position in the cave, standard action true strike from wand, true strike doesn't break invisibility+ (blindsight does nothing to see me)

RFLS
2013-08-29, 02:02 PM
Samuel:

Samuel carefully approaches where the whatever-it-was fell, kicking dust in front of him until it outlines something. Then, he spreads dust over it quickly.

"Gruul! Get over here, we have to kill it before it gets up!"

The dragon has 4 rounds of immobility left.

The Dragon
2013-08-29, 04:01 PM
Edward Fletcher loses his arrows into the invisible beast.

Miss chances: 2 are hits, 1 are misses.
1[roll0]
2[roll1]
3[roll2]

To hit
1[roll3]
2[roll4]
3[roll5]

First arrow to hit is a crit. If, by some miracle there's threats after that, here's two confirmation rolls.
2[roll6]
3[roll7]

Damage:
1[roll8]+[roll9]
2[roll10]+[roll11]
3[roll12]+[roll13]

Critical Damage
1[roll14]
2[roll15]
3[roll16]

Edit: So arrow one hits AC 39, and deals 136 damage. Arrow two hits AC 37, and deals a pidly 31.

AngryCyc
2013-08-29, 04:32 PM
Flip

Knowing he's not much use for damaging critters, and still uncomfortable with causing harm to anything that isn't attacking back... Flip moves into the other hallway and readies an action to throw down another tree blocking that hall if the dragon tries to escape down it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 05:30 PM
As Edward Fletcher sees the dust touch the air and disappear, he fires his arrows truly. The first arrow lands with a meaty thunk, and the beast appears. It was laying paralyzed on the ground, unable to stand. Now it lays dead. One arrow covered in frost sticks from it's side, the other juts sharply from it's left eye.

Congratulations dragonslayers, you have felled your first beast.

AngryCyc
2013-08-29, 06:14 PM
Flip

Hey cool. Loot time!! ...oh. Huh. I guess that tree is blocking the way towards his treasure probably, huh?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-29, 06:26 PM
The tree is large, but not big enough to block the door. It also has tipped over and the spell that grew it fizzled when it hit the roof. You have a 30ft long oak log with exposed roots on one end and a few branches.

AngryCyc
2013-08-29, 06:42 PM
"Thank you noble tree. You fell aiding us.

Your aid was the root of our success.

... You really branched out our strategy there.

Thanks to you, our adventures can now blossom.

Alright... Alright I'm done. We can leaf now."

Shazek
2013-08-29, 06:44 PM
Gruul stares at the other dragonslayers as the beast is felled without his input. "By the mountain...

Remind me not to anger you, archers."

I was waiting for initiative to be rolled. I come back, and the dragon is already dead? Holy cow....

Guess I'll need to work harder to contribute.

RFLS
2013-08-29, 06:47 PM
Samuel:

"Careful, small goblin. I may have to stick you full of arrows." Samuel keeps an entirely straight face.

Assuming time, he'll cut the head off, and skin the rest of it while the party goes and looks for the treasure. He'll also take the talons.

Survival: [roll0]
And Spot, in case someone tries to sneak up on him: [roll1] (+12 against arcanists)

The Dragon
2013-08-30, 08:17 AM
"These beasts like to nest on their valuables. Let's see if we can't find them." With that, Edward heads further into the cave, presumably from where the dragon came.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-30, 08:50 AM
The cave leads back to the central cavern where the small stream breaks through the wall. There is a passage that leads up, and two passages that lead down in addition to the passage you just came from.

Listen DC 10

You can now clearly hear people shouting. The noise comes from one of the passages leading down.

The Dragon
2013-08-30, 08:57 AM
Edward sneaks forwards towards the shouting, mindfull of not revealing himself unduly.
Move silently [roll1]
Edit: Carp. +6 vs draons, +2 vs arcanists? Not going to help me? Oh well.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-30, 09:45 AM
He comes to a large metal bar grille gate, like a prison gate, that looks like it was just recently installed by clever, but unskilled hands. Six metal rods where driven into the rock with great force, then a section of metal wall was welded to them with great heat. A large handle locks the door with a large metal lock.

Through the gate you can hear what was making the shouting sounds. It looks like you found the population of the town. They are huddled in a small dead end cavern on the other side of the gate. Many of them are shouting please to save them and warnings about the dragon. It seems they heard the commotion and are being overwhelmed by hope and fear.

AngryCyc
2013-08-30, 12:10 PM
Flip

Save you from the dragon?? You mean that dragon we just killed..? Because unless there are more of them, we took care of it already... Now does anyone know of an easy way to get this gate open?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-30, 12:27 PM
The people quite as you speak. They appear to have not seen the group before this moment, hidden as you where. They look on stunned.

A man dressed in what looks like moderately well made merchant's cloths recovers more quickly than the other.

"The dragon had a key that he took with him when he locked us in here. I would search the dragon's horde. It must have it nearby, it checked in on us frequently."

AngryCyc
2013-08-30, 12:34 PM
Flip
Flip heads off down towards whatever direction they gestured that the horde might be.

The Dragon
2013-08-30, 05:35 PM
Edward follows flip, after taking a long glance at the peasants.

Shazek
2013-08-31, 07:20 AM
Gruul, still a bit disturbed by the dragon's defeat, shakes himself out of it and walks boldly down whatever path it seems the hoard might be in, trusting he would be fine between his great hardiness and stonelike skin.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-01, 10:42 AM
You double back and explore the cavern you passed to investigate the voices.

As you enter you feel a wall of oppressive heat. It is not enough to stop you, but you would not want to stay here for more than a little while. Inside you find piles of red hot gold piled along the walls. Along with the gold lies treasure beyond your wildest dreams, with weapons, armor, and items of arcane might scattered around like worthless trinkets.

Search check DC 18

You find a large iron key that matches the make of the lock on the prison door.

Horde list - You will know this later when you sit down for a few days to sort through it, posted now for posterity

32713 gp, 654.26 lbs of gold

GEM
algae (14.2 gp)
almandine (bright red - garnet) (504.5 gp)
hessonite (grainy mass of garnet) (116.4 gp)
malachite (green) (10.8 gp)
moonstone (blue) (123.3 gp)
onyx (black and gray or white) (42.5 gp)
white topaz (549.4 gp)
zoiste (white) (115.5 gp)
ART
brass mug with jade inlays (418.8 gp)
eyepatch with mock eye of sapphire and moonstone (941.6 gp)
githzerai talisman, silver with black opal gemstone (4,058.3 gp)
gold ring with flame motif (189.7 gp)
golden flagon, intricately decorated, with a long emerald dominating the neck (2,192.9 gp)
large gold cloak pin, dragon design (1,096.4 gp)
miniature scale carriage (823 gp)
miniature scale castle (735 gp)
ornamental silver inkpot with citrine gems (144 gp)
platinum bottle stopper with emerald crown (1,510 gp)
silver & gold lock and key (291.1 gp)
silver-plated steel longsword with jet jewel in hilt (430 gp)
small painting, a tragic event (514.2 gp)
POTION
potion of barkskin +2 (300 gp)
potion of barkskin +2 (300 gp)
potion of bless weapon (100 gp)
potion of bull's strength (300 gp)
potion of cat's grace (300 gp)
potion of cat's grace (300 gp)
potion of cure light wounds (50 gp)
potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp)
potion of enlarge person (250 gp)
potion of invisibility (300 gp)
potion of lesser restoration (300 gp)
potion of levitate (300 gp)
potion of magic weapon (50 gp)
potion of protection from (alignment) (50 gp)
potion of shield of faith +2 (50 gp)
potion of cure moderate wounds (600 gp)
potion of eagle's splendor (300 gp)
potion of enlarge person (250 gp)
potion of hide from animals (50 gp)
potion of lesser restoration (300 gp)
potion of magic fang (50 gp)
potion of magic weapon (50 gp)
potion of remove fear (50 gp)
potion of shield of faith +2 (50 gp)
SCROLLS - written on a light leather you don't recognize
DC knowledge Dungeineering 10
This is tanned human skin
- arcane (550 gp)
Summon Monster I (l1, cl1)
Misdirection (l2, cl3)
- divine (500 gp)
Undetectable Alignment (l2, cl3)
Chill Metal (l2, cl3)
- arcane (50 gp)
Burning Hands (l1, cl1)
Charm Person (l1, cl1)
- arcane (175 gp)
Jump (l1, cl1)
Web (l2, cl3)
- arcane (50 gp)
Burning Hands (l1, cl1)
Grease (l1, cl1)
- arcane (50 gp)
Detect Secret Doors (l1, cl1)
Enlarge (l1, cl1)
- arcane (175 gp)
Levitate (l2, cl3)
Sleep (l1, cl1)
- divine (300 gp)
Delay Poison (l2, cl3) (scribed 2 times)
- divine (25 gp)
Detect Chaos (l1, cl1)
- divine (25 gp)
Command (l1, cl1)
WAND
Burning Hands (l1, cl1) (31 charges) (465 gp)
Cat's Grace (l2, cl3) (30 charges) (2,700 gp)
Knock (l2, cl3) (30 charges) (2,700 gp)
Bear's Endurance (l2, cl3) (21 charges) (1,890 gp)
Bull's Strength (l2, cl3) (47 charges) (4,230 gp)
Cure Moderate Wounds (l2, cl3) (24 charges) (2,160 gp)
Fox's Cunning (l2, cl3) (25 charges) (2,250 gp)
Shocking Grasp (l1, cl1) (38 charges) (570 gp)
Silence (l2, cl3) (6 charges) (540 gp)
WONDROUS ITEM
golembane scarab (any) (2,500 gp)
bead of force (2,000 gp)
cloak of resistance (+2) (4,000 gp)
cube of frost resistance (22,000 gp)
horn of blasting (12,000 gp)
necklace of fireballs (type VI) (8,100 gp)
ARMOR
breastplate +3 (9,350 gp)
full plate +3 (10,650 gp)
large steel shield +1 (1,170 gp)
small steel shield +4 (16,159 gp)
studded leather armor +1 (1,175 gp)
Weapons
assassin's dagger (18,302 gp)
bastard sword +2 (anarchic) (32,335 gp)
sheds light in a 20-foot radius (as a torch)
greatsword +3 (18,350 gp)
heavy mace +4 (unholy) (72,312 gp)
Skull head with black ebony shaft
trident of warning (10,115 gp)

- Yes, it's a ton of stuff, and randomly generated. There is no magic mart in this world, so I am putting you on a high treasure yield to help you out. I note some nice goodies got generated in the mix.

cameronpants
2013-09-01, 10:50 AM
Sir Edward Minor

Sir Minor joins in the search for the horde.

The Dragon
2013-09-01, 11:13 AM
Edward takes some time to shift roughly through the piles, looking for a key.

He produces a heavy iron key, after stopping with a grim look on his face upon noticing the scrolls.

With that, he leaves the hoard, and approaches the caged peasants.
OOC
Search:[roll0] I'm banking on that search DC being what I think it is.
Dungeoneering:[roll1]

Shazek
2013-09-02, 12:58 PM
"Well now! That's quite a bit of treasure, isn't it. I'm liking this job already."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-02, 03:05 PM
You take the key and return to the iron gate. The villagers are settled down and waiting with quiet anticipation of freedom. The man in merchant's dress waits by the door, and everyone else has moved back away from the door to wait. When you get closer, the man speaks up again.

"Did you find the key? Please, we need to get water to the elderly, we have had nothing for a day now."

The Dragon
2013-09-02, 03:29 PM
Edward is struck by a nasty suspicion. "I have the key. I'll let yu out in a minute." To his companions, he asks "Are there any of you who could see if there's any magic affecting these people?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-02, 04:14 PM
The villagers look around confused. There is a hubub as they look between each other.

The an old man in the back of the room speaks up.

"We are simple villagers master dragonslayer. None of us have anything like magic."

Sense motive
DC 20

You get a hunch that the man by the door is concealing something, you think he may be a magic user the way he hesitated to respond to that question.

AngryCyc
2013-09-02, 04:34 PM
Flip

sense motive [roll0]

"Really now? That might not quite be true for all of you...... ISN'T THAT RIGHT?? he screams as he points at the man.

Shazek
2013-09-03, 05:16 PM
Gruul draws his chain from his back at Flip's accusation. He gives the air of someone in the mood for a fight. "Would you care to share what he's talking about? Last time this one got suspicious a dragon was responsible."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-04, 10:51 AM
The merchant looks back at the crowd in the cell with him in panic. The crowd realizes the implications of what just happened and you see the look of a mob forming in the eyes of the prisoners.

The merchant speaks in a slightly panicked singsong voice
"I'm a bard, just a bard, classically trained in from Windhelm before the gate opened. Now, please let me out before the yokels kill me for being a magic user."

AngryCyc
2013-09-04, 11:02 AM
Flip

Now.. now... we won't let them kill you if you're innocent. Nobody wants that, RIGHT FOLKS? But we want proof.

SING US A SONG, MISTER BARDIC MAN!"

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-04, 11:15 AM
The man gulps and thinks for a second. He is noticably sweating under the pressure of the moment. After a moment he begins to sing in high elvish.

Anyone who speaks elvish can understand

Knowledge history or Speak Language DC 5

High elvish is a old version of elvish that hangs around in old elven literature and art due to elves living for such a long period of time. Standard elvish has been bastardized from the old form by mixing with common.

His voice is a little shaky, but he is clearly a singer
Perform roll [roll0]

Over mountain, rivers old
Hidden hands of dragons mold
The war was fought to bitter end
The dragons held in gates of men

Hands of giants, strong as stone
Human touch to give them hone
Dwarven steel to shape way
Elven magic sets the day
Goblins hold a hidden key
For Dragons rise will feel the need

When dragon's blood does flow
The world will shape and echo so
When wings of dragons cover skies
The strength of old will show the lies

Knowledge history
DC 15

That is a really old song sung by elves before they fled the area to get away from the dragons. It is famous in some circles, especially the bardic universities. Nobody knows who wrote it, but people speculate it is about the creation of the dragon gates.

There is a pause around the room as clearly nobody in the cell expected that. Their anger and fear was blunted by the unexpected music.

The man fills the silence with his voice, quiet and almost apologetic.
"It is an old one. It's just what popped into my head to sing."

AngryCyc
2013-09-04, 11:45 AM
Flip

"Well I'm satisfied... someone open this gate. But buddy, a little piece of advice... Lying isn't nice. You shouldn't try to deceive others. It's wrong and can lead to misunderstandings that hurt either you, or others"

The Dragon
2013-09-04, 11:50 AM
Edward stuck the key in the lock, and turned. "Come on out, people."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 10:28 AM
The bard moves away from the gate as a line of grateful but still mob like villagers move into the main cavern. The old man who spoke up before hangs back and speaks to Edward.

"I am Sam Stonefell, the Village Elder. I have two concerns. First, is it safe to move my people back to the town, and second, the dragon took 12 of us yesterday shortly after we got here. Have you seen them?"

The bard moves out of the prison after the villagers disperse into the main cavern. He stays near Flip, seeming to keep the goblin between him and the villagers.

"Fine master goblin, you must understand. It's hard for anyone with magic now. There are no courts for me to play my music, so I do a little trading to get by. I'm not from town, and an outsider with magic is likely to be killed or driven out of town rather than traded with.

RFLS
2013-09-06, 10:40 AM
Samuel:

Samuel comes up the hallway, dragging something behind him. Something large, and full of teeth.

"I'd say" *huff* "that, given that this" *huff* "is the damn dragon's head" *huff* "the village is probably pretty safe right now. Demolished, but safe."

Samuel stops dragging the head when he reaches the group, and sits down, resting his back against the top of the head.

"As for your villagers...yeaaah, I don't think they were what we'd call "people" anymore. "Half-dragon monstrosities," maybe. "Terrible abominations wrought with unknowable arcane secrets" has a nice ring, too."

Into the silence that follows this, he adds "That thing's bloody heavy. Think I can get it stuffed? I'd like to have it on my wall."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 10:48 AM
The elder nods with a grim look on his face.

"Well, that is worse than I expected, but I didn't expect to see them alive after the beast drug them off. Still, I must attend to the living, and it's a long walk home from these caves, and we will have to build shelter for the night before we can rest."

The bard blanches at the mention of half dragon abominations.

"I'll stay with you dragonslayers if it's all the same to you. I don't want to end up on the sharp end of a pitchfork if you don't mind. All my goods are likely destroyed anyway."

AngryCyc
2013-09-06, 11:48 AM
Flip

"The whole town is destroyed, last we saw of it. I'm not sure why the lot of you would need to head back there unless you're planning to rebuild the torn-down structures. If there's a better settlement for everyone to head to, I suggest you head there. We found a bit of dragon's loot back there and I'd be willing for at least my portion of the share to go towards helping you relocate. You may even be able to come back with us back to the estate and maybe the person who sent us on this quest knows of a good settlement for everyone to relocate too?

Regardless, the way of life you have known is no more, and for that I am sorry."

Turning to the Bard, he adds "I will be glad to hear more of your songs, but do know that we respect honesty and honor. We will expect you to keep the deceit to a minimum in our company, lest it be in service of some noble greater good. I don't think we'd mind you lying to a dragon about our whereabouts, for instance."

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 12:10 PM
The elders stops at the mention of money. He turns back and give the small goblin a proud, serious look.

"There is a famine. If the crop still stands, we will stand and harvest it. If we didn't, too many people would die of hunger that could have been avoided. Besides, where would we go. Anyplace else would have no home for us, and no fields for us to plow. Our lively hood is here. Houses can be rebuilt. Our town cannot be simply moved.

Any help you offer would aid our hardship greatly. I would not ask or beg, but the reality is money would help."

jojolagger
2013-09-06, 12:22 PM
Tedd levitates the Dragons head, making it easier to transport. Then he produces a fair quantity of food and water, which begins passing to the leader to the villagers.

2 casting of create food and drink at cl 6, providing enough food to fully nourish 36 people for a full day, or probably stop the threat of immediate starvation for the whole group, unless I'm seriously misreading the size of the town.

RFLS
2013-09-10, 05:55 PM
Samuel:

Samuel looks pensive, considering something carefully . "I'll see what I can do. Perhaps our sponsor can provide..."

AngryCyc
2013-09-14, 09:06 AM
Flip

"Your resolve is most honorable sir, and I sincerely hope for the best for you and your town. Tell me though... are there any other threats to your livelihood that I or my compatriots here might be able to assist with? Your entire population will be sitting ducks while your buildings are in shambles. Are there any looming threats around besides dragons, any info about the surrounding area that we might use to either further protect or aid you in your recovery..?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-19, 04:02 PM
The elder nods in appreciation, but shrugs.

"I'm not sure what else you could provide. Gold won't build our homes back, and this is a fairly peaceful area. Farax to the east provides a stable boarder, and except for the dragon we had few troubles."

The villagers gather outside the cave and get organized to move back the the village as a group. As this gets going, a pair of wagons lead by a unit of pike and bowmen arrive. The commander sees the gathering of people and quickly marches to the group. When he sees the party, he goes directly to you.

He calls out cheerfully as he gets closer.
"Good day sirs. Excellent to see you alive, and with the villagers. I do hope you slayed the beast. I have three silver riding on your victory before our arrival. There was even odds in the betting pool of us having to haul your corpses back in the wagons after we got a look at the village. Glad to see my optimism has payed off."

AngryCyc
2013-09-19, 04:12 PM
Flip

"The dragon is indeed slain. And it's good your here... We have this village to take care of and piles of gold to haul back... Both of which require sheer labor force. How was your journey here? Any new looming threats?"

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-19, 04:29 PM
"No problems. We made good time. Malius was furious with the Farax delegate who showed up as we left. Something about breaking a deal over a mine contract and closing the border. That sounded bad, but not something that should be a problem for you, dragonslayers and all.

The rest of the troops are back at the village. They set up a watch set and set up the ballista, but that looks like unnecessary at this point. It's quite leveled back there. Do dragons normally level the whole village?"

Knowledge History or Nobility DC 10

Dragonslayers are covered by the Treaty of Dragonblood. Roughly it says that dragonslayers are unbeholden to anyone but their sponsor, and are more or less able to go anywhere to hunt. To bar one entry into your country would be a violation. It is hard to even charge them with serious offenses so long as their sponsor doesn't care. Once you get the cloak, you are afforded a kind of diplomatic immunity. The best that anyone can do is encourage you to leave quickly after the dragon is slain. Even that power stops at the edge of a city. Unless a dragonslayer started outright banditry they could camp outside a city as long as they wanted.

The treaty covers three rights
- A dragonslayer is beholden only to his sponsor wherever he goes.
- A dragonslayer cannot be hold to any other law while hunting.
- A dragonslayer cannot be barred from any place a dragon may be.

Needless to say, this gets abused at times, but most dragonslayers don't live very long anyway, so the problem has resolved itself.

RFLS
2013-09-23, 01:02 PM
Samuel:

"I don't know if it's normal or not. However, I would like you and your men to stay here. Provide protection and food for these people, as well as a helping hand in rebuilding their homes. We will return to Malius."