PDA

View Full Version : Skate and Grease

Segev
2013-08-05, 06:21 PM
The psi power and the magic spell, specifically.

The first says that its target maintains balance by mental will alone while allowing him to skate along without friction. The second removes a great deal of friction. Does the former make one able to travel through a region of the latter with impunity? Looking for both RAW, RAI, and common sense interpretations, just to run the gamut, please.

I can see a RAW interpretation that it does, myself, but that could be the elusive "fluff vs. mechanics" gremlin showing his face again, too.

geonova
2013-08-05, 06:24 PM
skating on grease should be raw legal and most DMs would allow it, and now i want to make a build that uses this comination as well as sleep

pbdr
2013-08-05, 06:43 PM
"Glide along as if on smooth ice" I know how to skate, based on this phrase, this power doesn't much (what's the DC to walk o smooth ice?), unless you have skates. Skating on ice involves being able to push with a side of the blade, but glide along the skinny portion.

now if it said "slide along as if on smooth ice and were wearing skates", i'd be on board...

Segev
2013-08-05, 06:45 PM
It also explicitly states you maintain balance by your will. So that's handled.

Psyren
2013-08-05, 11:20 PM
"You retain equilibrium by mental desire alone" suggests to me that you auto-succeed on Balance checks, unless you want to fall.

Segev
2013-08-06, 12:18 AM
That's what it sounds like, to me, too, but I wanted to double-check myself. Thanks!