PDA

View Full Version : gnome encounter help needed.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-05, 07:25 PM
So my players are about to meet a family of gnomes that are not supposed to be enemies, but given the npc's cantankerous nature and the pc's unpredictability, it could end in bloodshed. I have the mother and father figured out, but I need help figuring out the son or daughter.

The father (herb) is a tinker gnome conjurer5/warweaver5/iot7fv2, mostly batmanish, but does a lot of buffing. He was marooned on the planet after a spelljammer crash, and decided to stay after he got married.

The mother (kelri) is a unseelie fey rock gnome sorcerer6/incantrix6 mailwoman type. She has copper dragon heritage (so she could take practical metamagic and some dragon spells) so her veins are a muddled mess of various supernatural creatures, potent for sorcery, but enough to make a genealogist very confused.

Both of the parents have very short tempers, and their sanity is in somewhat in question (not sociopathic, but disproportional retribution is their calling card) Their usual combat tactic is for Herb to hold the foe(s) down while Kelri blasts them into oblivion. But part of the story is that their oldest kid has returned home from a bout of adventuring. They are exceeding doting parents, and the PC will find them in high spirits. I don't want to go into too much detail about the set up of the interaction, but the pcs will either get some help on their current errand, or the toughest encounter so far. I don't want their kid to just be another wizard or sorcerer, but anything requiring strength or wisdom is unlikely given the lack of genetic predisposition (the parents both have negative modifiers to both stats). So my question is A) what do you get when you mix tinker gnome with unseelie rock gnome, and B) what would be a good addition to mailman + buffer/batman encounter that requires neither strength nor wisdom.

Bonus question: when an incantrix uses cooperative metamagic with a feat that they have mitigaters for (practical metamagic(maximize) in this case), does that reduce the DC for the spellcraft check? And if they have thesis spell on the spell the other caster is casting (force orb in this case), does that affect the spellcraft roll?

linebackeru
2013-08-05, 07:33 PM
Some sort of Sorcerer gish? With that much magic in his background, sorcerer makes sense. He can buff his own strength (or use a Dex-focused build?) Maybe this is motivated by being a "rebellious teen" who doesn't want to follow exactly in his parents' footsteps.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-12, 07:29 PM
So my new thought is to make the son/daughter a beguiler. Both of his parents have enchanment banned (incantrix requires a ban), and they both have a low amount of illusions, meaning the kid can significantly differentiate himself/herself from their parent's shticks, while playing to the family's strengths.

The bigger question is one of speciation. 1 parent is a tinker gnome, the other is n unseelie rock gnome. My immediate instinct is to make the kid an unseelie tinker gnome (inhereting mom's template and dad's base creature, but the question become why isn't the fairy blood diluted?