The Giant
2013-08-05, 08:01 PM
New comic is up.

MadBear
2013-08-05, 08:03 PM
Looks like Durkon's back on the team :smallcool:

ScrambledBrains
2013-08-05, 08:03 PM
WOOHOO! Durkon is still gonna help them! And Z...didn't really expect him to snuff it yet, but that was a heck of a kill.

Love the comic, Giant! :smallsmile:

Ornithologist
2013-08-05, 08:04 PM
Hahahaha! The energy drain! Its how I know Durkon is still Durkon

A_Man
Dang, I was hoping Z would last longer... Put my stomach in a knot seeing Durkon kill Z that merclilessly....

Awesome chapter as usual Giant, amaizing you can give such emotions over and over again. ^_^

Invariel
That dealt with a couple of Linear Guild problems rather handily. And we have a brand new Durkon to make things better. Hurrah.

Seerow
Once again Durkon's lack of ranks in Knowledge Religion hurts him.

Or rather Roy in this case.

Demolator
2013-08-05, 08:05 PM
WHAT?! BUT!!! No!!! Zz'dtri! Why! :smalleek:

Too many lives have been lost :smallfrown: I'm gonna' miss Z most of all, he'll always be the best LG member to me. At least Durkon's gonna' try to help the Order out. I kind of hope he sticks with them but I don't know how likely it is.

Shular
Wonder what the demon said as it left. Something along the lines of "I don't need to put up with this <stuff>."

Julian84
Oh, Giant, I could hug you right now :smallbiggrin: That is just too brilliant.

ralphmerridew
Go Durkon!

RustyVenture
2013-08-05, 08:06 PM
Laughed out loud at the energy drain. So ZZ'ditri is dead now, and Durkon is back with the team. The OOTS owe Nale a HUGE thanks.

BlasTech
Whoops, way to go Durkon.

Arcanist
Vamp Durkon is best Durkon. For now, forever and for all time until the end of time. :smallbiggrin:

Scowling Dragon
This isn't going too be the same Durkon at all. Im a bit scared.

Gift Jeraff
He died as he lived: silent.

RIP Zz'dtri
You were instrumental in ridding us of that obnoxious vampire.

I wonder if Nero will get his soul...

Arrowstorm122
2013-08-05, 08:07 PM
Didn't know vampires energy drained on touch. Malack didn't do that, did he? He could heal Elan, for example.

StreamOfTheSky
SNAP!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

...that is all.

Yendor
Okaaay. That was a rather abrupt end for Zz'dtri. Well, Durkon's back to normal-ish, at least.

Tingel
"I also have potions", haha.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 08:08 PM
AAWWWWWW YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH! HELL YEAH, DURKON!

Ahem. That was cool (And the last panel made me laugh :smallbiggrin:)

Tsyndrome
Woops!

Durkon is back! Err... maybe not quite Durkon!

HeeJay
How to dismiss summoned creatures - the Durkula way!

Awesome.

Porthos
That was a remarkably sudden demise for Z! :smalleek: :smalleek:

Guess, Durkon hasn't learned to turn off his Energy Drain powers yet forgot that he now spontaneously Inficts instead of Cures.. Whoops. :smallamused:

And, yep. He's evil. Remarkably so, if make my guess.

molten_dragon
Laughed out loud at the energy drain. So ZZ'ditri is dead now, and Durkon is back with the team. The OOTS owe Nale a HUGE thanks.

That's interesting. I was assuming he damaged Roy because he was evil now, so his cure spells became inflict spells. I didn't think of the energy drain angle. I wonder which it was?

Edit: Looking back, I think it was an inflict spell. I think that's what the 'reverse polarity' refers to.

Also, Z just died from a vampire. If they leave his body there, he'll rise again won't he, in three days? Vampire Z is not a loose end you want to leave around!

Nah, that only happens if the vampire kills you by draining your CON to zero.

EmperorSarda
I guess Vampire Durkon forgot that since he is evil his spontaneous spell conversion no longer produces cure spells.

But that being said, he is free willed now. He doesn't have to be evil. Why is he letting his vampirism affect his personality? So why isn't Vampire Durkon good now?

Inkling
Whoops.
Good to have (a version) of Durkon back! I hope it isn't as ill-fated as I have a sneaking suspicion it might be.

At least their free to return to Durkon's homeland now.
Did that need a spoiler? Probably not.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-05, 08:09 PM
I don't think that's an energy drain. I think Durkon is simply trying to spontaneously convert one of his spells to a Cure spell, but since he's Evil now, he gets an Inflict spell instead.

Also, man, this was anticlimactic.

Thokk_Smash
Didn't know vampires energy drained on touch. Malack didn't do that, did he? He could heal Elan, for example.

He healed him by touching him with the staff, if I remember correctly.

Tingel

I thought his spontaneous cure spells just turned into inflict spells because he turned into an evil cleric, and he did not remember that before he used one of his regular memorized spells in this manner. I don't think it was an energy drain.

Malanthyus

Durkon didn't energy drain him. He used brute force to snap his neck. Or if he did use an energy drain attack, that wasn't what killed Z. To create a vampire spawn or other vampire, the actual kill has to be energy drain or blood drain.

Aeriander
Is the rest of the Order going to misinterpret this as a hostile action against Roy? They don't know what's going on with Durkon, and they certainly don't know Malack is dead.

Leirus
I wonder if Nale will try to bring Z back. Great strip!

Maugan Ra

Also, Z just died from a vampire. If they leave his body there, he'll rise again won't he, in three days? Vampire Z is not a loose end you want to leave around!

I'm pretty sure just getting your neck snapped by a vampire isn't enough to make you turn. You need to have a full set of blood drinking first, really.

Also, yeah, OK, that worked out surprisingly well. All we need now is for Tarquinius to stab Nale to finish the job...

SavageWombat
That was harsher than I expected.

Vampires drain levels as part of their slam attack - so I'm hoping Durkon can learn to not drain people by accident. But we'll see.

Burner28
Interesting. Whilst Durkon is certainly less merciful, it's nice to see that he still cares about the Order.

Giggling Ghast
That neck snap was a bit surprising.

Still, glad to see Durkon's back! Sort of.

tcrudisi
2013-08-05, 08:10 PM
Hahaha. Brilliant. Well, that proves that Durkon is evil (as if he was neutral, he'd still be able to channel positive energy). I would also argue that realizing you channel negative energy instead of positive energy would be based more on Wisdom than Intelligence, though the joke is still hilarious.

Irish Musician
Oh Mr. Rich....you made me laugh so loud just then.

"......I also haf potions" Classic awesome D&D funny. Love the way the comic is going, even though I did cry a little when Durkon was turned, but stories can't all be sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns, so I'll just have to deal with the tears :smallamused:

Keep up the brilliant work Giant! :smallsmile:

liooil2000

I think he tried to cast a heal spell with spontaneous casting, but because he is now evil it turned into inflict.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

HZ514
Hooray Durkon!

GG Z.

AutomatedTeller
2013-08-05, 08:11 PM
I didn't expect the elf to die there. Go Durkon!!

LG is hurting now, isn't it, presuming Thog is actually dead, of course. Just Nale and Sabine.

Durkon better help out heftily with the elemental - presumably, the devil will do so.

That was an energy drain? It was the same color as Durkon's spell, so I assumed cure moderate wounds backfired, though I don't really understand why it would.

Arathnos
2013-08-05, 08:11 PM
That was deliciously evil and beautiful.

Goosefeather
2013-08-05, 08:12 PM
Hah, I imagine the crustacean demon's ranting as sounding like a sulking Zoidberg.

I wonder if V got to see Z's demise - and what exactly our favourite Neutral-sometimes-bordering-on-Evil elf thought of Durkon just casually snapping his neck like that.

DaggerPen
"... I also haf potions."

*dead*

So, uh.

Wow

Okay, so Durkon seems to be evil. That was the consensus, but it is a shame. Still, this will definitely be interesting. And - wow. There goes Z, I guess. Yikes.

toapat
Magnificent Execution on the behalf of Durkon.

Porthos
2013-08-05, 08:13 PM
I guess Vampire Durkon forgot that since he is evil his spontaneous spell conversion no longer produces cure spells.

Ah, a much better read of things. Yeah, I'd say you're right about that.

Should edit my post I think.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-05, 08:13 PM

Durkon tried to convert a prepared spell to cure X wounds, like he always does (a good cleric has no logical reason to EVER actually prepare cure spells, he can just convert others to them anyway, so prepping others doubles his versatility). But, now being evil, it converted to evil, and that caught him by surprise. Hence the strip title.

The Giant
2013-08-05, 08:14 PM
That's interesting. I was assuming he damaged Roy because he was evil now, so his cure spells became inflict spells. I didn't think of the energy drain angle. I wonder which it was?

Edit: Looking back, I think it was an inflict spell. I think that's what the 'reverse polarity' refers to.

That's correct. The Cure Moderate Wounds was converted to an Inflict Moderate Wounds per the fact that all vampire clerics channel negative energy.

thatSeniorGuy
2013-08-05, 08:14 PM
Wow .... and that's a goodbye to Z.

OTOH, loved the last two panels!

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 08:16 PM
wow didnt see Z dieing like ta tcoming at all :smalleek:

watupwithdat
The inflict spell was pretty funny. Hopefully the rest will be too busy with the sandy one to notice before he can give him a potion. May cause some issues otherwise.

RickDaily12
Has Malack ever touched any living creature directly while healing them? :smallconfused:

Perhaps this is why he never did, and would use the staff instead.

I also imagine this is another purpose of the Giant inventing Mass Death Ward- a means to have Durkon given a way to safely heal the Order, as well as be free of the worry of all negative energy/level defects.

Clearly not the same Durkon. Friendly, but still... This is going to be interesting.

EDIT: super ninja'd. Ah well. MDW still helps the Order in this way.

Roland Itiative
Nice to see the alignment change didn't seem to shift his loyalties at all, at least at first.

I wonder what's happening to Haley meanwhile... May it be we'll need to have Durkon cast that Raise Dead he has prepared after all?

B. Dandelion
I can't get over Durkon's >:D expression in panel three. I don't think he's ever made it before in the entire comic, and it's so... disturbing, especially in the context that he's making it as he snaps Zz'dtri's neck in cold blood. Brrr... :smalleek:

Anarion
2013-08-05, 08:17 PM
Nice, love the "evil, but still likes the planet" angle. That probably even extends just to stopping Xykon since there's no reason Durkon would want to be ruled by Xykon any more than any other selfish and powerful evil character.

That's correct. The Cure Moderate Wounds was converted to an Inflict Moderate Wounds per the fact that all vampire clerics channel negative energy.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I had thought it was artistic license with the energy drain.

Also, minor art complaint: there's a stray bit of beard in the first panel of this comic that extends into Durkon's mouth and is sort of driving me nuts.

Rakoa
... goodbye Z, you will be missed. I'm hoping a resurrection will come eventually.

Drakeburn
Yay! Durkon is still good! And he's still himself. :smallbiggrin:

Secris
Holy crap. He killed Z! I thought Z and Nale would both get away... woah. Just... woah. O_O

Also, hilarious at the end. That's probably gonna have to take some getting used to. Maybe Z can learn to heal so Durkula can be the main nuker X_X

DaggerPen
2013-08-05, 08:18 PM
Oh hey, I just realized that Durkon threw Z's body at the daemon to show that said daemon could leave now. That makes a lot of sense.

Question: someone identified the font that the daemon is using, right? Does it say anything particularly fun, even if it's just "no secret message"?

Incom
2013-08-05, 08:18 PM
O_O

Anyone translate the pisco-thingy's text bubble?

Kim
2013-08-05, 08:19 PM
It looks like the crustacean summon is speaking in Miskatonic (http://www.fontspace.com/blambot/miskatonic), a free font that appeared in Questionable Content a few years ago. Can anyone read the speech bubble well enough to see what it says?

Also: Yay Durkon! RIP, Zz'dtri. :(

Zach J.
2013-08-05, 08:19 PM
Holy crap. He killed Z! I thought Z and Nale would both get away... woah. Just... woah. O_O

Also, hilarious at the end. That's probably gonna have to take some getting used to. Maybe Z can learn to heal so Durkula can be the main nuker X_X

Durkon will still be able to heal. He'll just have to prepare Cure spells from now on.

Great strip. Durkon's always been my favorite character and his turning into a vampire has only made the guy more interesting.

Ivrytwr
2013-08-05, 08:20 PM
Aw yeah!
Gonna miss Z. Obviously Durkon is not fully back. Funny to see the bumbling good-natured help.
Time to save Haley.
Gotta wonder how Durkon and Belkar are going to greet each other.
The one thing Nale doesn't run short on is arse-saving retreats!

Admiral
Also, minor art complaint: there's a stray bit of beard in the first panel of this comic that extends into Durkon's mouth and is sort of driving me nuts.

That's one of his fangs.

Tock Zipporah
Wonder what the demon said as it left. Something along the lines of "I don't need to put up with this <stuff>."

*Roger Murtaugh voice* I'm getting too old for this...

sotanaht

So just because hes a vampire and not necessarily because vampire Durkon is evil aligned then?

SavageWombat
It looks like the crustacean summon is speaking in Miskatonic (http://www.fontspace.com/blambot/miskatonic), a free font that appeared in Questionable Content a few years ago. Can anyone read the speech bubble well enough to see what it says?

Also: Yay Durkon! RIP, Zz'dtri. :(

I think Aaron Williams used that in PS 238 for some of his aliens, too.

Porthos
Has Malack ever touched any living creature directly while healing them? :smallconfused:

Perhaps this is why he never did, and would use the staff instead.

I also imagine this is another purpose of the Giant inventing Mass Death Ward- a means to have Durkon given a way to safely heal the Order, as well as be free of the worry of all negative energy/level defects.

Clearly not the same Durkon. Friendly, but still... This is going to be interesting.

EDIT: super ninja'd. Ah well. MDW still helps the Order in this way.

Well, we know that Malack prepared healing spells for his party. So he must be able to cast them if he prepared them ahead of time. Durkon probably was trying to convert one of his spells to CMW and just forgot to read the fine print. :smallamused:

But the staff angle works as well.

Jiggs
Ouch that hurt; and I am a bit surprised by Durkons new ruthlessness.
Maybe the vampire component will be a stronger issue in the future but as for now, as Durkon is saying to Roy "the world is still hanging in balance"

Forikroder
so i guess this measn Durkon jsut lost his Thors might then

Chessgeek
What is the strength bonus for becoming a vampire again? Breaking someone's neck with one hand is obviously not an easy feat.

destiny919
2013-08-05, 08:21 PM
I'M SO HAPPY! Durkon's still Durkon, he's just a bit south of Neutral . . . I wonder what that will mean besides probably contributing more to his willingness to kill Z and Nale, and his inability to use positive energy healing spells?

Felhammer
2013-08-05, 08:21 PM
Vamp Durkon is scary! :smalleek:

Math_Mage
2013-08-05, 08:22 PM
It's not that the beard is in his mouth, it's that his fang extends out from his mouth over the beard.

Wups, ninja'd.

El Grapadura
2013-08-05, 08:22 PM
Love it. Puts the million post alignment debate to rest pretty quickly, haha. "No more evil than Belkar" is a pretty succinct description of where he stands. Very well executed, and a lot of potential to explore the character, group dynamic etc. just makes me wonder what it will be like when the time comes to part ways...

Tsyndrome
2013-08-05, 08:23 PM
I especially like the smoke rising off Roy in the last panel. Nice touch.

Ezekiel
2013-08-05, 08:24 PM
I love Nale's expression when he realizes he's alone with a very strong vampire :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-05, 08:25 PM
What is the strength bonus for becoming a vampire again? Breaking someone's neck with one hand is obviously not an easy feat.

+6 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm). If he started out with STR 16 (not unlikely, given his main melee approach), he is now strength 22 - he is unlikely to have boosted STR in his level-ups.

GW

Edit: Hah! Porthos, Zach J., thou hast been ninjačd!

Porthos

+6 IIRC. .....

Zach J.

The vampire template adds 6 strength to the base creature, but I think Durkon breaking Z's neck was just an example of a coup de grace.

Connington
2013-08-05, 08:27 PM
So Durkon's clearly evil. But he's feeling friendly. He's also prophesied to bring death and destruction to the Dwarvish lands. So I'm thinking Roy is going to have a lot harder time keeping Durkon below the green line. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html). Besides the typical bloodsucking, I imagine he's going to have some words with his former holy brothers about exiling him. And by words I mean murdering all of them. (I'm not very good with euphemisms)

Tock Zipporah

But that being said, he is free willed now. He doesn't have to be evil. Why is he letting his vampirism affect his personality? So why isn't Vampire Durkon good now?

He's free willed, but he's still powered by negative energy, which is like walking around with a tainted soul. The negative energy is bound to influence his behavior (such as making him mercilessly snap Z's neck instead of taking him prisoner), but his core personality should remain the same.

Anarion
It's not that the beard is in his mouth, it's that his fang extends out from his mouth over the beard.

Wups, ninja'd.

I'm not convinced. If you look at the close up in panel 3, you can see white marks showing both fangs, but there's still an extra gray line from the beard extending into the mouth. It's not really a mistake, since there's no reason for his beard not to be a bit shaggy, but I just find it bothersome.

The Recreator

Is that because vampires are Always Evil? Or is there something fundamental to vampirism other than alignment (at least in the OotS setting) that causes them to channel negative energy?

I figured I'd ask because the concept of an "Always" alignment description in the Monster Manual has been a subject of great importance in previous OotS comics, and I think understanding this could help shed some light on Durkon's upcoming character development.

HalfTangible

That isn't what's happening here.

He tried to spontaneously cast a cure spell, but he's a negative energy cleric now, so he ended up casting an inflict spell.

Is that because vampires are Always Evil? Or is there something fundamental to vampirism other than alignment (at least in the OotS setting) that causes them to channel negative energy?

I figured I'd ask because the concept of an "Always" alignment description in the Monster Manual has been a subject of great importance in previous OotS comics, and I think understanding this could help shed some light on Durkon's upcoming character development.

Even if Durkon weren't evil now (he's a vampire, he kinda has to be), he's undead. Positive energy causes him damage.

Yendor
It looks like the crustacean summon is speaking in Miskatonic (http://www.fontspace.com/blambot/miskatonic), a free font that appeared in Questionable Content a few years ago. Can anyone read the speech bubble well enough to see what it says?(

I've looked at it, but can't make out most of the letters clearly enough.

Perseus
2013-08-05, 08:28 PM
And in this small little way when Belkar dies we will still have a brutal evil little bugger to keep us entertained and murderlate stuff.

Edit: Always in D&D doesn't mean always... It means like 95 percent.

Amarsir
2013-08-05, 08:29 PM
Edge of my seat for these next few comics and getting to know the new Durkula. I've always admired The Giant for choosing to make his comic explore the meaning of alignment. And this idea of "What if a truly Lawful Good guy suddenly turned Evil" is such an interesing idea that really, words can't express.

Felhammer

You get the standard assortment of powers (Blood Drain, calling swarms of vermin, the power to Dominate, the ability to drain energy, the ability to create Spawn, Alternate Form (Bat, rat, etc.), Damage Reduction, Fast Healing, Gaseous Form, Resistance, Spider Climb, +6 STR, +4 DEX, +2 INT & WIS, +4 CHA). Interestingly, Vampire Clerics gain access to the Chaos, Evil, Trickery and Destruction Domains. The latter domain has a special ability called smite which gives you a +4 bonus on attack rolls and a bonus on damage rolls equal to your cleric level.

Quorothorn
I THOUGHT that Durkon's next move might be killing Z to prompt Dim Door from Nale, but to be honest I didn't truly expect it to happen. Whoa.

Also, never getting over "I also haf potions." Solid gold comedy. :smallbiggrin:

Infinite
This. This was great.

IW Judicator
2013-08-05, 08:30 PM
We shouldn't worry about the Order's healing capabilities. All they need is a little help from a Cleric in a Can (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html"). :smallbiggrin:

(Though as I think on it...any chance of Z's heart being added to the first batch?)

EDIT:

Alternatively:

*After accidentally giving Roy the wrong potion...

"...I still haf a resurrection prepared."

Zubrowka74
I am once again speechless.

First Durkon, then Malack. Now the Drow is dead. I hope the Giant isn't going full "G. R. R. Martin" on us now. :smallbiggrin:

On a sidenote, we've been having two comics a week for a while now and it's not even xmas yet! Hooray!!!

Anarion
Even if Durkon weren't evil now (he's a vampire, he kinda has to be), he's undead. Positive energy causes him damage.

He can still cast positive energy spells though. I don't want people to get the wrong impression from this. He just has to specifically prepare his cure spells in advance now, like Redcloak does. It's just that his spontaneous channels are damage instead of curing now.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-05, 08:31 PM
I've looked at it, but can't make out most of the letters clearly enough.

Agreed. Rich, is it feasible for you to provide a larger version of that panel, so we can have our fun with the secret message/gibberish misdirection you added to the comic?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

SSGW Priest
2013-08-05, 08:31 PM
:roy: "You're not evil?"
:durkon: "Not any more'n Belkar, I'd wager."

:smallcool:

destiny919
2013-08-05, 08:32 PM
So Durkon's clearly evil. But he's feeling friendly. He's also prophesied to bring death and destruction to the Dwarvish lands. So I'm thinking Roy is going to have a lot harder time keeping Durkon below the green line. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html). Besides the typical bloodsucking, I imagine he's going to have some words with his former holy brothers about exiling him. And by words I mean murdering all of them. (I'm not very good with euphemisms)

Actually, I always thought that the death and destruction would be because when Durkon returned to the Dwarven lands, it would be because they had to go visit/defend/DESTROY Kraagor's Gate. And even if they manage to save the gate and therefore don't cause a big KRRAAAAAAKAAAAKOOOOOOMMMM then that couldn't be done without considerable bloodshed, especially considering Xykon's penchant for random destruction and killing wherever he goes.

ArlEammon
2013-08-05, 08:32 PM
:roy: "You're not evil?"
:durkon: "Not any more'n Belkar, I'd wager."

:smallcool:

Interesting. I was almost right about what would happen next.

Beowulf DW
2013-08-05, 08:33 PM
Whoooo! Go Durkula! It's nice to see my favorite dwarf kicking butt again!

Felhammer

Vampire Clerics lose the ability to turn undead but gain the ability to rebuke undead. The ability to rebuke undead is tied with the ability to spontaneously channel Inflict Spells.

Ailowynn
Wooooooo Durkon! Although I wonder how his evilness will come through. Aside from snapping Zz'dtri's neck.

Joseph_Lavode
2013-08-05, 08:34 PM
Poor Z, didn't see that one coming. :smallfrown:

Interesting that Durkon is so casual about the alignment question.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-08-05, 08:34 PM
Dammit, I knew I should have brought my phone with me!

Glad to see Durkon's on the team, though...yeah. Definitely not Lawful Good anymore. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually feel a bit bad for Z there.

Newwby
2013-08-05, 08:35 PM
Wowzah - on one hand it's Durkon, mannerisms/speech/attitude.
On the other hand it's Durkula - because I doubt Durkon would have so happily killed someone, even Z'ditri. I can't stop looking at that panel and how happy he looks!

:durkon:

*edit* '...I also haf potions' might be my new favourite line.

B. Dandelion
2013-08-05, 08:37 PM
I'm not convinced. If you look at the close up in panel 3, you can see white marks showing both fangs, but there's still an extra gray line from the beard extending into the mouth. It's not really a mistake, since there's no reason for his beard not to be a bit shaggy, but I just find it bothersome.

It looks to me like it's just the way the mouths are usually drawn -- they curve, but there's sort of a little "shelf" at the top that extends past the curve. Imagine if Nale in panel two had a fang hanging just below the very rightmost part of his mouth.

Lex-Kat
2013-08-05, 08:38 PM
Awww. I'll miss Zz'dtri. As someone earlier (minutes ago) said, he was the best of the LG.

But it was a nice turn-around for Durkon. :smallsmile:

DeliaP
2013-08-05, 08:39 PM
I have to wonder about what happens if OotS try to meet up with the Azurites at Kraagor's Gate?

CE Belkar might be viewed various ways such as prisoner or capable of redemption...

But how do the paladins Hinjo, O'Chul and Lien work with a party that has an LE Vampire Durkon??

Humble Master
2013-08-05, 08:40 PM
Perfect! OOTS gets Durkon back and Nale has fled. I am really liking the new Durkon.

Shale
2013-08-05, 08:40 PM
The surprise to me is that Durkon doesn't seem the least bit conflicted about changing alignments. It's not just going to be a "dark urges" sort of evil - there's actual malice there, at least toward people he doesn't like.

joela
2013-08-05, 08:41 PM
"I also haf potions."

ROFLHO! I want a shirt with that on it! :smallbiggrin:

ella ventic
2013-08-05, 08:41 PM
I believe the Miskatonic says "If the boss is dead I'm punching out early".

Woo fun with fonts!

nohamotyo
2013-08-05, 08:42 PM
WELL. That was unexpected.

I saw Z as part of the Core Four, along with Nale, Sabine, and Thog, when it was actually a Terrible Trio. Z's passing is more disappointing than Malack's to be honest. A shame he didn't speak more.

The Giant
2013-08-05, 08:42 PM

I have no idea what you're seeing, but there's no stray hair in the picture. Just the mouth and two fangs. That wouldn't even make sense anyway, because his beard is not made of individual hairs, it's one big block of color.

Math_Mage
2013-08-05, 08:43 PM
We are talking about the left corner of his mouth, correct?

Examine panels 1-4. The perspective changes slightly in each, and the way the hair goes changes as well. This is because what's actually happening is a 3D representation of the mouth. Compare the large panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html), which has a similar interaction with the beard, though the fang is absent.

And in this small little way when Belkar dies we will still have a brutal evil little bugger to keep us entertained and murderlate stuff.

Edit: Always in D&D doesn't mean always... It means like 95 percent.
And this takeover of Belkar's niche is dramatically fatal. I expect him dead in the next few strips.

Edric O
2013-08-05, 08:43 PM
So, uh... the Order now has 2 bona fide Evil members, and one neutral-but-guilty-of-genocide member. This isn't really a Good party any more, is it?

Arkhosia
2013-08-05, 08:44 PM
Warning: drama ahead.
NOOO! Z'ZTDRI!
DARN YOU DURKULA, DARN YOU TO BAATOR!
Still happy for Durkon though.

Gift Jeraff
So Nale is stuck in the canyon for ~20 hours until Sabine returns. Even then, it's back to flying since she can only teleport herself plus 50 pounds of objects. Though he can also cast Dimension Door at least 3 times a day, moving at least 720 feet with each casting.

ScrapperTBP
Oh no Z. You were my favourite LG member. Especially recently. Your smile was so cute.

Durkon still has an elemental to deal with and we they still need to find V. Roy is safer down and out. Leave it to the big guns. Go, go Cleric!

Goosefeather
2013-08-05, 08:45 PM

Woo fun with fonts!

Well, that didn't take long! :smallbiggrin:

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 08:45 PM

Woo fun with fonts!

makes sense

Quorothorn
2013-08-05, 08:46 PM

Woo fun with fonts!

That would fit in nicely with the exasperatedly-raised claw...

I can't stop making this face. :smallbiggrin: What an excellent addition to my evening this update is.

chillmynaga
2013-08-05, 08:47 PM
ZZ'dtri was an amazing member of the underdark, when he died, a big hole was left in my heart. Whenever a character dies I like to go back and appreciate their actions and presence, so I'm going to do that right now.

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 08:48 PM
ZZ'dtri was an amazing member of the underdark, when he died, a big hole was left in my heart. Whenever a character dies I like to go back and appreciate their actions and presence, so I'm going to do that right now.

i imagine taht wont take long :P

jamiah93
2013-08-05, 08:49 PM
If the imp was Z's familiar, and familiars gain power along with their masters, did Z's death cause him to become weaker?
Also, does the imp have a name?

RossN
I could see Nale having ZZ'ditri ressurected, assuming Nale lives long enough to get the opportunity. His anger and shock ("get off him!" and "don't you dare drink his blood") were a lot more like someone seeing a friend fighting for his life than just an interchangable employee on the LG payroll.

Goosefeather
Also, :elan: can't think of any good lobster puns?

Not even in a pinch like this? :smallcool:

Yendor
2013-08-05, 08:50 PM

Woo fun with fonts!

Yep, just got that.

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 08:50 PM
If the imp was Z's familiar, and familiars gain power along with their masters, did Z's death cause him to become weaker?
Also, does the imp have a name?

his name is Quarr...

I could see Nale having ZZ'ditri ressurected, assuming Nale lives long enough to get the opportunity. His anger and shock ("get off him!" and "don't you dare drink his blood") were a lot more like someone seeing a friend fighting for his life than just an interchangable employee on the LG payroll.

that seemed odd to me, it implied a pretty deep relationship

main problem hell have with rezzing Z is getting the body... and finding a cleric

Pendulous
2013-08-05, 08:51 PM
Ha, that was the funniest strip in awhile. And it raises an interesting point. When someone is raised as an undead, they still have all their previous memories (obviously). So Durkon knows his friends, and he's willing to help still for his friends and the world. It also adds a little dynamic that was missing from the group. Until now, they were all LA +0 base races. And three humans.

jamiah93
2013-08-05, 08:52 PM
his name is Quarr...
oh yeah, no idea how i forgot that

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 08:52 PM
Ha, that was the funniest strip in awhile. And it raises an interesting point. When someone is raised as an undead, they still have all their previous memories (obviously). So Durkon knows his friends, and he's willing to help still for his friends and the world. It also adds a little dynamic that was missing from the group. Until now, they were all LA +0 base races. And three humans.

depends what type of undead really, ghouls and ghasts and other minor undead wont

ti'esar
2013-08-05, 08:53 PM
I guess now we'll never know what was with Zz'dtri's curiously-strong loyalty to Nale - well, I suppose that it might be included in a LG prequel book, but given the unceremonious nature of his demise I'm not sure I'd bet on it. But other than that, I can't say I'll particularly miss him.

At any rate, I think this book is now pretty much over.

CoffeeIncluded

That's a good point. And Nale looks shocked and horrified in the panel where Durkon kills Z, even though it's hard to see. He genuinely liked the drow.

ZMiles
I highly doubt that Z will be resurrected. Nale's gone and Quarr's pathetic in power compared to the standing Order, so there's nothing they can do to protect Z's body. Between Durkon and Belkar, I'd guess they know how to damage a corpse enough to prevent resurrection (like Redcloak did to Tsukiko), and they're both Evil now apparently, so they'd likely do it, if only for pragmatic reasons of not wanting to deal with Z again. Even if the others objected, Durkon's probably stronger than the entire rest of the Order put together at this point, so he could just light Z's corpse on fire and incinerate it until there wasn't enough left to resurrect, and hold off Roy and/or Haley if they tried to put it out.

Peelee
And Durkon instantly replaces Malack in my heart. Really hope he gets the afterlife and burial he deserves, but until he is destroyed, I think it's gonna be a helluva ride.

DoctorIllithid
Is it just me, or did Nale seem genuinely concerned about Zz'dtri? Hopefully he'll come back and raise him, one way or another.

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 08:54 PM

I think the punchline of the Cure spell being converted to an Inflict spell pretty much seals it for Durkon now being evil.

But it seems he is the kind of evil that the rest of the Order can co-exist with, at least for now.

Burner28
2013-08-05, 08:54 PM
I wonder how Belkar is going to react to Durkon's new alignment.

Gan The Grey
2013-08-05, 08:55 PM
Ummm...how is Durkon even going to get spells anymore, seeing as how he is more than a single step removed from his god's alignment of Lawful Good?

B. Dandelion
2013-08-05, 08:55 PM

Yeah, I was struck by that reaction as well. The vampire knocks Zz'dtri out of commission and Nale's response is to try to grab the undead dude and demand he leave his teammate alone. Self-preservation doesn't even kick in until Z's dead and Durkon's attention turns to him.

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 08:56 PM
Nice, Durkon to the rescue. It feels nice to predict things correctly, too.

ellindsey

"Welcome to the deep end of the alignment pool" or something similar I expect.

This is awesome. Everyone else in the order has had their character-growth catharsis of one sort or another. Now it's Durkon's turn to finally become an interesting character. Loving it. (Though I will miss Z. Poor elf, you became too powerful and effective to be permitted to remain part of this comic.)

Math_Mage
Ummm...how is Durkon even going to get spells anymore, seeing as how he is more than a single step removed from his god's alignment of Lawful Good?

Non-theistically. He's not a Cleric of Thor anymore, but he's still a Cleric.

Zach J.
2013-08-05, 08:57 PM

You don't have to worship a deity to prepare cleric spells. As a vampire Durkon has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil or Trickery.

Forikroder

1. his god was chaotic good

2. hes a vampire now so gets his power from the negative energy plane

Solarix
That was...unexpected! Poor Z, go Durkon!

As always, I´m amazed by great writing! Great work!

jamiah93
2013-08-05, 08:58 PM

"So... still unstylishly bearded, I see"

Sylthia
I think the punchline of the Cure spell being converted to an Inflict spell pretty much seals it for Durkon now being evil.

But it seems he is the kind of evil that the rest of the Order can co-exist with, at least for now.

I think you can spontaneously cast inflict spells as a neutral cleric as well.

Admiral

Thor's not his god anymore. Read the vampire template- (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Vampire)

Clerics: Vampire clerics lose their ability to turn undead but gain the ability to rebuke undead. This ability does not affect the vampire’s controller or any other vampires that a master controls. A vampire cleric has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, or Trickery.

The Giant has addressed this directly:

Tell you what, you read the vampire template entry, particularly the part where it explicitly says that vampire clerics can still cast spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) just with different domain access, and you tell me where it says anything about gods or temporary loss of access there. It doesn't. Vampire clerics do not need to worship a god to cast spells, because NO cleric needs a god to cast spells. The rules specifically allow for "non-theistic" clerics, and explains exactly what the effects of turning into a vampire has on a cleric: Rebuke instead of Turn, different domains. Period.

Forikroder
"So... still unstylishly bearded, I see"

"ya know i hate to leave a meal unfinished"

Amphiox
He's free willed, but he's still powered by negative energy, which is like walking around with a tainted soul. The negative energy is bound to influence his behavior (such as making him mercilessly snap Z's neck instead of taking him prisoner), but his core personality should remain the same.

Translating mechanics to narrative convention, there are many evil characters who do not see themselves as evil. They think that they are fully justified in doing what they do, and that their motives are noble. This could well be how the negative energy manifests itself when a formerly good being becomes undead - their outlook, thinking, motivations, and instincts are just changed ever so subtly to lead them towards evil acts, but they continue to think they are doing good, or if not good, justified "bending" of the "rules".

If I had to guess, at this moment, Durkon is probably having subconscious urges that will nudge him towards seeing himself as justified in his actions, whatever they are, because "I am saving the world from the Snarl, so this can slide."

Yagerr
2013-08-05, 08:59 PM
Damd that is some deep character development

Zach J.
I think you can spontaneously cast inflict spells as a neutral cleric as well.

A neutral cleric has to make a choice as to whether spontaneously cast inflict or cure spells, yes, but the devil that Durkon summoned doesn't leave much room for interpretation as to the matter of his alignment.

Goosefeather
I guess now we'll never know what was with Zz'dtri's curiously-strong loyalty to Nale - well, I suppose that it might be included in a LG prequel book, but given the unceremonious nature of his demise I'm not sure I'd bet on it. But other than that, I can't say I'll particularly miss him.

At any rate, I think this book is now pretty much over.

Maybe in the end it was just as simple as: Pay's good.

Bird
2013-08-05, 09:01 PM
OK, the entire vampire Durkon thing is already one jillion percent worth it just for:

An' I'm helpin' ye back. By cuttin' down yer employee overhead.

The fact that it was (sort of) Durkon having such a Belkar moment made it horrifying and hilarious and wonderful.

Well done, Giant.

(Meanwhile, if Durkon had enthralled Z, that could have been a huge gain for the Order. Risky business to be sure, but still.)

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:02 PM
Clerics: Vampire clerics lose their ability to turn undead but gain the ability to rebuke undead. This ability does not affect the vampire’s controller or any other vampires that a master controls. A vampire cleric has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, or Trickery.

My money's on Destruction as one of them. Since he's bringing "Death and Destruction" back home. Not sure if he's lawfulness has been affected, so probably Evil or Trickery for the other domain.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-05, 09:02 PM
Maybe in the end it was just as simple as: Pay's good.

Dental left a little to be desired, though. Or rather, the choice of dentist to give coverage was, in retrospect, not to their advantage.

GW

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 09:03 PM

I think we are seeing a hint as to why Z has remained so loyal to Nale all this time. There is genuine camaraderie between them here, just as there is genuine affection between Nale and Sabine.

It is definitely notable that Z has been left with an eminently resurrectable body here, and it is unlikely that the Order will be intentionally destroying or desecrating his corpse.

I note the continued parallel with his "opposite", V. V got taken into hell against his will. And now, Z, has also.

Perhaps Z will get resurrected soon after V's time runs out. (If that is the case, then my money is not on Nale doing the resurrecting (because I don't think it likely that Nale will be able to get a resurrection arranged within 20 minutes!), though, but Tarquin, perhaps as a means of gaining a modicum of influence/having a favor to be called in over the drow at some point in the future, perhaps as a weapon to use against Nale, if the need should arise to so use it.)

Sylthia
A neutral cleric has to make a choice as to whether spontaneously cast inflict or cure spells, yes, but the devil that Durkon summoned doesn't leave much room for interpretation as to the matter of his alignment.

I agree, but to play devil's advocate, he was a thrall when he summoned it.

Gusion
yes very good I hoped Z would die!

Ghost Nappa
2013-08-05, 09:04 PM
Villains are dying left and right.

And I liked Z. D:

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 09:04 PM
I think we are seeing a hint as to why Z has remained so loyal to Nale all this time. There is genuine camaraderie between them here, just as there is genuine affection between Nale and Sabine.

It is definitely notable that Z has been left with an eminently resurrectable body here, and it is unlikely that the Order will be intentionally destroying or desecrating his corpse.

I note the continued parallel with his "opposite", V. V got taken into hell against his will. And now, Z, has also.

Perhaps Z will get resurrected soon after V's time runs out. (If that is the case, then my money is not on Nale doing the resurrecting (because I don't think it likely that Nale will be able to get a resurrection arranged within 20 minutes!), though, but Tarquin, perhaps as a means of gaining a modicum of influence/having a favor to be called in over the drow at some point in the future, perhaps as a weapon to use against Nale, if the need should arise to so use it.)

i find it unlikely any cleric but Durkon can get to that body in 20 minutes

WolvesbaneIII
2013-08-05, 09:05 PM
I'm sad about Z. But this raises new questions.

Does the staff have an unlimited amount of sun protection spells?

How does one refill the staff?

What God will durkon worship now?

Would thor make an exception?

Would durkon want to stay a vampire?

Is there a spell to cure one of vampirism aside from dying and a reviival spell?

Who would win in a fight: Durkula or Xykon or Darth V?

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 09:06 PM

Is there a spell to cure one of vampirism aside from dying and a reviival spell?

which Darth V? the old Darth V or the current V as Darth V? and with or without Haerta?

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:09 PM

Played smart, Darth V at full power. Durkula got an upgrade, but is still the weakest and non-epic.

Pendulous
2013-08-05, 09:09 PM
depends what type of undead really, ghouls and ghasts and other minor undead wont
Well, yeah, they don't have brains. But give a new vampire free will, and he might just turn on its master. Also, isn't there such a thing as good undead?

And Durkon instantly replaces Malack in my heart. Really hope he gets the afterlife and burial he deserves, but until he is destroyed, I think it's gonna be a helluva ride.

Guess it depends on how he acts as a vampire. he appears to be doing the right thing, so Thor will possibly forgive him. As far as his fellow dwarves, well, I don't know about that. If they know he helped save the world, I'm sure they can also forgive him.

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 09:10 PM
As I had expected, Durkon really did not immediately call off his devil, and prioritized attacking Nale and Z over directly helping his friends.

However, this might not be just because he is now evil.

It could also have been simply a matter of tactics.

Z very likely still had at least Greater Dispel Magic prepared and still had the ability to Counterspell. So Durkon's solution to this tactical challenge was to critical-hit Z into unconsciousness on the first strike, so he never gets the chance to cast another spell....

A major tactical blunder on Nale and Z's part to have Z come back within Durkon's melee range. Looks like the thrill of victory over Malack made them both complacent. And now the LG has lost its most powerful permanent member....

EmperorSarda
2013-08-05, 09:10 PM

Huh, I automatically assumed it was because Durkon had an evil alignment and forgot about the spontaneous spell conversion.

So... a good vampire Durkon still channels negative energy?

Does Durkon get a chance to quest to be a homebrewed positive energy vampire?

Goosefeather
2013-08-05, 09:11 PM
Dental left a little to be desired, though. Or rather, the choice of dentist to give coverage was, in retrospect, not to their advantage.

GW

True, that dentist was acting rather savagely. In fact, he was almost... canine :smalltongue:
Gosh, I'm just full of biting wit today, aren't I!

Haruspex_Pariah
2013-08-05, 09:11 PM
Yay, Durkon's back albeit as an evil vampire. Now that he has that staff of daylight protection, does this mean that Malack actually made the Order of the Stick stronger?

Outside of being a thrall (no longer relevant), daylight vulnerability (negated by staff), and evil alignment (made moot by Belkar) what's the problem with being a vampire?

EvilAvocado
2013-08-05, 09:13 PM
Does Vampirism increase Durkon's melee capabilities?
He cleaved somehow in the last strip and now he snapped Z'sneck with his bare hands:smalleek::smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2013-08-05, 09:13 PM
I thought it was Durkon's energy drain and him forgetting (due to his lack of Knowledge: Religion ranks) that he had said ability.

Solara
2013-08-05, 09:14 PM

I bet Rich is facepalming so hard right now...

ellindsey
2013-08-05, 09:14 PM

Assuming it works like a normal magic staff, it does not have unlimited charges.

When preparing his spells in the morning, the staff's owner can forgo some of his spell slots to add charges to the staff. So Durkon should be able to keep it charged, assuming he's still getting his spell slots recharged from somewhere.

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 09:15 PM
i find it unlikely any cleric but Durkon can get to that body in 20 minutes

My thinking was that after the Order disposes of the Si elemental, they leave, and leave Z's body behind. This should take much less than 20 minutes.

Tarquin could show up after they leave and recover Z's body. He may have summoned the rest of his team, and there might be another cleric in it (besides Malack), or they might have Resurrect Scrolls they can use (it would be consistent with Tarquin to have a backup plan for his team for access to Resurrection in the event that they lose their cleric, if Malack was their only cleric).

ti'esar
Despite being a fan of Nale, I also have to admit that I find it pretty funny that his big shining moment of competence immediately came back to (almost literally) bite him.

Glich
Woot the d mans back.

Questions for d20 people my D&D skils are 20 years out of date

1. can d learn the protection from sun light spell from the staff ? I assume this was a custom spell of Malack's. if not D's going to have issues pretty fast if they can't find a Rezing cleric in a hurry and that assuming vamp D would just sit there and let himself be beheaded and raised (I assume the vamping gives him some internal motivations not to let that happen.)

2. I assume the harm thing was because of the vamping swaped his spontaneous heals to harms. But next comic day he can fill a chuck of his spell slots with cures right?

gamephil
He cleaved somehow in the last strip and now he snapped Z'sneck with his bare hands:smalleek::smallcool:

He's a high level cleric, he actually gets multiple attacks with the Full Attack maneuver without needing to Cleave. And his Strength and Dexterity are raised, so he is overall a better combatant.

Sylthia
Huh, I automatically assumed it was because Durkon had an evil alignment and forgot about the spontaneous spell conversion.

So... a good vampire Durkon still channels negative energy?

Does Durkon get a chance to quest to be a homebrewed positive energy vampire?

From our limited evidence, Durkon seems to be at least neutral, if not evil, since he spontaneously inflicts now. He seemed to enjoy slaughtering Z in a Belkaresque way, so maybe he wants to stay in his new alignment. I remember a cursed hat that made your alignment the opposite of what it was and one caveat was that your character would find the idea of switching alignments back abhorrent, and not try to switch back, so this might be a similar issue.

Ulthwithian
2013-08-05, 09:16 PM
Hmm. Regarding Durkon's alignment...

First, Word of Giant is that the reason Durkon spontaneously casts Inflict spells is because he's a vampire. That means that it is not necessarily because he's a vampire.

Second, the devil proves nothing, as a LN Cleric can raise a Devil just as easily as a LG Angel (Archon, I believe they were called, in 3.5).

So while he's most likely LE, he's probably much more LE-ish than LE. Rather like Hayley is CG-ish.

As to whether Durkon still worships Thor, I think the answer is clearly no. However, all of the offstage Hela - Thor arguments now appear to be clear foreshadowing that Durkon will take Hela as his patron.

I also think that Belkar may willingly get vamped by Durkon, which fulfills his prophecy. OTOH, if he doesn't, and he lives a bit longer, you may see he and Durkon flip-flop in terms of arguments. Recall that Belkar blames himself that Durkon is even in his current state, and while a Vampire Durkon may be a lot more powerful, he's a lot less constrained than Dwarf Durkon (cf. Nale's discussion as to why to kill Malack over the Order). So I can definitely see Belkar being the one to argue with Durkon if Durkon changes his ways.

Fralex
2013-08-05, 09:17 PM

Woo fun with fonts!

WAIT. That's the same font the runes for the epic illusion were! Did anyone ever translate those?

Sylthia

+6 to Strength.

One Skunk Todd
Villains are dying left and right.

And I liked Z. D:

Speaking of left and right, is anybody else a little confused by the orientation here? In the views we've generally seen, I thought the LG, Durkon, and Malack were furthest left, then the crater and the OotS near the middle, the Rift, the sand elemental, the far crater edge, and finally Team Evil. But it seems like Z is thrown in from the right, Elan runs to the right where presumably the S.E., Haley and Belkar are, then Durkon runs in, also from the right? I'm all confused.

Porthos

That's a good point. And Nale looks shocked and horrified in the panel where Durkon kills Z, even though it's hard to see. He genuinely liked the drow.

Is it just me, or did Nale seem genuinely concerned about Zz'dtri? Hopefully he'll come back and raise him, one way or another.

These are all excellent points.

Nale CARED about someone that wasn't Sabine.

Maybe he isn't the complete sociopath that some people made him out to be.

THIS COMIC IS PROOF THAT NALE IS NOW LAWFUL NEUTRAL :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-05, 09:18 PM
Hmmm, if the Guild is down to just Nale and Sabine (and Qarr), all you need to do is off one of Tarquin's allies (probably the catlady since she seems like she would overlap with Sabine) and then Nale + Tarquin = 6-man party. Again.

I also wonder if Qarr will become Nale's familiar.

Knight.Anon
2013-08-05, 09:18 PM
It would be funny if Malack and the elf ended up in line together waiting to get into the afterlife.

ellindsey
2013-08-05, 09:19 PM
1. can d learn the protection from sun light spell from the staff ? I assume this was a custom spell of Malack's. if not D's going to have issues pretty fast if they can't find a Rezing cleric in a hurry and that assuming vamp D would just sit there and let himself be beheaded and raised (I assume the vamping gives him some internal motivations not to let that happen.)

There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules at least as far as I can see about letting you learn a spell from a staff. Maybe he could recreate the work that Malack did in developing the spell in the first place by studying the spell. In a RPG that would probably be up to the GM, which means that it's up to the Giant here.

However, he should be able to use the staff to cast it. As long as he's still getting spell slots from somewhere, he can spend some of them to recharge the staff and then use it to cast the protection spell. (As well as the mummy animation spell and the instant vampire spell and whatever other spells the staff has.)

Shale
2013-08-05, 09:20 PM
Yay, Durkon's back albeit as an evil vampire. Now that he has that staff of daylight protection, does this mean that Malack actually made the Order of the Stick stronger?

Outside of being a thrall (no longer relevant), daylight vulnerability (negated by staff), and evil alignment (made moot by Belkar) what's the problem with being a vampire?

He can still be driven off by garlic (watch out when Belkar starts cooking!) and the level adjustment of +8 means he will basically never gain a cleric level ever again (so no level 9 spells). Also, as we just saw, he can't spontaneously cast Cure spells - they must be prepared ahead of time, sacrificing some of his versatility as a spellcaster.

Sylthia
Woot the d mans back.

2. I assume the harm thing was because of the vamping swaped his spontaneous heals to harms. But next comic day he can fill a chuck of his spell slots with cures right?

The rules are fuzzy on researching spells, so it's more or less house ruled most of the time.

Evil clerics can prepare as many cure spells as they want, they just can't spontaneously cast them.

Gift Jeraff
Second, the devil proves nothing, as a LN Cleric can raise a Devil just as easily as a LG Angel (Archon, I believe they were called, in 3.5).

Yes, but Durkon is a godless cleric who cast Planar Ally (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarAllyLesser.htm), which says "If you serve no particular deity, the spell is a general plea answered by a creature sharing your philosophical alignment."

Ranzarock
Nooooo...Z...though your appearances were few, I enjoyed each and every one. Your role as the most competent member of the LG will go unfilled. /sob, he was so cute when he smiled without malice, too!

Math_Mage
My thinking was that after the Order disposes of the Si elemental, they leave, and leave Z's body behind. This should take much less than 20 minutes.

Tarquin could show up after they leave and recover Z's body. He may have summoned the rest of his team, and there might be another cleric in it (besides Malack), or they might have Resurrect Scrolls they can use (it would be consistent with Tarquin to have a backup plan for his team for access to Resurrection in the event that they lose their cleric, if Malack was their only cleric).

I'm curious, is there a reason for the choice of 20 minutes other than V's timing? Because any 9th-level cleric can do a Raise Dead in the next week or so and get Z back in the action...unless Durkula decides to do something with the body.

B. Dandelion
2013-08-05, 09:21 PM
WAIT. That's the same font the runes for the epic illusion were! Did anyone ever translate those?

Yeah, it was "nosecretmessage".

genderlich
2013-08-05, 09:21 PM
So... where did Nale go? Dimension Door only has a 700ish foot range for Nale's caster level, so he's not totally out of danger yet. He definitely couldn't have gotten back to Bleedingham.

I was sort of expecting Durkon's mental transition to being a vampire to be a much bigger deal. He pretty much seems like "well, okay, whatever". Not sure how I feel about that.

137beth
2013-08-05, 09:22 PM
Oooh, Z's gonna be mad that someone killed his/her arch nemesis for him/her!

Well, until he/she remembers that he/she has a new archnemesis...three of them, in fact:smalltongue:

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:23 PM
He can still be driven off by garlic (watch out when Belkar starts cooking!) and the level adjustment of +8 means he will basically never gain a cleric level ever again (so no level 9 spells). Also, as we just saw, he can't spontaneously cast Cure spells - they must be prepared ahead of time, sacrificing some of his versatility as a spellcaster.

Wow, forgot the level adjustment was that high for 3.5. I've gotten used to PF, where it's just +2. +8 seems really steep.

137beth
2013-08-05, 09:24 PM
Yes, but Durkon is a godless cleric who cast Planar Ally (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarAllyLesser.htm), which says "If you serve no particular deity, the spell is a general plea answered by a creature sharing your philosophical alignment."

Nitpick: "philosophical alignment" may refer to ethical alignment, i.e. Law vs Chaos:smalltongue:

Jay R
2013-08-05, 09:24 PM
Love the subtle callback to #7: "Umm ... Could I maybe just get a potion? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html)"

One Skunk Todd
2013-08-05, 09:25 PM

Look carefully, he snapped Z's neck with his bare "HAND". :)

zimmerwald1915
2013-08-05, 09:26 PM
Wow, forgot the level adjustment was that high for 3.5. I've gotten used to PF, where it's just +2. +8 seems really steep.
There is no level adjustment in PF. That +2 the PF Vampire template gives is to CR...the same adjustment to CR the 3.5 Vampire template gives.

Sylthia
Nitpick: "philosophical alignment" may refer to ethical alignment, i.e. Law vs Chaos:smalltongue:

Isn't the ethical axis Law vs Chaos, and the moral axis Good vs Evil? So philosophical would be the mixture of the two?

Pendulous
He's a high level cleric, he actually gets multiple attacks with the Full Attack maneuver without needing to Cleave. And his Strength and Dexterity are raised, so he is overall a better combatant.
Divine Power and Righteous Might make for an effective melee combatant.

+6 to Strength.

Plus that. Yeah, he's a powerhouse.

ti'esar

I suspect that may be why they changed it. The huge differences between level adjustment and challenge rating have always really puzzled me.

internisus
2013-08-05, 09:27 PM
I'm so happy to have him back! Oh, and to be right! This is how I expected things to go back when Durkon was turned.

He will rejoin the Order now, experience a prolonged identity crisis at having become a creature of the undead, his sworn enemy as a cleric, eventually travel to his homeland in this posthumous form along with his friends as a part of their quest (most likely Kraagor's gate is nearby), and, as foretold by Odin, see doom brought to his people once he has returned (most likely in the form of Xykon).

Jaffo
2013-08-05, 09:28 PM
Giant fixed a nice little narrative problem here, too.

For most of the comic Durkon has been faithful, reliable, and relatively boring.

Now he's given this cornerstone character a scary new twist.

It's a bit powergamey, but I trust Giant to handle this in an interesting (and funny) way.

Ulthwithian

Fair enough. As I said, most everything points to LE, but not 'For the Evulz' LE.

I do think that he'll have plenty to say to the Dwarven Elders. :p

Snails
So... where did Nale go? Dimension Door only has a 700ish foot range for Nale's caster level, so he's not totally out of danger yet. He definitely couldn't have gotten back to Bleedingham.

I was sort of expecting Durkon's mental transition to being a vampire to be a much bigger deal. He pretty much seems like "well, okay, whatever". Not sure how I feel about that.

I noticed that, too. But Nale does have access to Invisibilty, so finding him would be quite arduous.

I think the point is that rough viciousness can come easily to evil Durkon, not that his personality is particularly, um, bloodthirsty in character. So he would have killed Nale with relish, he just did not desire and seek that result for personal pleasure.

Solara
2013-08-05, 09:29 PM
"Welcome to the deep end of the alignment pool" or something similar I expect.

People keep saying this but I kind of have a feeling Belkar's going to be horrified, or at least feel even guiltier. Durkon not only died saving him but now is walking around as a twisted mockery of everything he believed in. And would it even be funny to make a joke about it the way he did to Haley without the payoff of Durkon feeling ashamed of his approval? Would it even remotely occur to Durkon that snapping a helpless Z's neck could be seen as something to feel bad about?

Incom

Actually, that's a good point. We know V's soul is trapped with the IFCC, his rival just died and went to an Evil afterlife, Belkar is going to die and also see an Evil afterlife, and there's an argument to be made that Durkon is also in the afterlife (although presumably the LG one), and for that matter Malack is probably also in an Evil afterlife.

What's the chance some of them meet and form a party to take on the IFCC?

Sylthia
There is no level adjustment in PF. That +2 the PF Vampire template gives is to CR...the same adjustment to CR the 3.5 Vampire template gives.

True, although a difference of +2 to +8 between CR and LA seems almost incompatible.

Koo Rehtorb
Thank God (and Rich) that there aren't going to be any good aligned vampire shenanigans.

Amphiox
I'm curious, is there a reason for the choice of 20 minutes other than V's timing? Because any 9th-level cleric can do a Raise Dead in the next week or so and get Z back in the action...unless Durkula decides to do something with the body.

From my first post that started that discussion, I was (not really seriously) speculating about the continuing parallel between Z and V. V just got sent to hell against his will, and now Z has too. Since V gets out of hell in 20 minutes, ergo, if the parallel continues to apply, so will Z.

It is actually not that likely.

Gnoman
2013-08-05, 09:30 PM
Hmm. Regarding Durkon's alignment...

First, Word of Giant is that the reason Durkon spontaneously casts Inflict spells is because he's a vampire. That means that it is not necessarily because he's a vampire.

I assume you meant "evil" instead of "a vampire" the second time, else your observation makes no sense. If that is what you meant, I also wondered about that particular phrasing.

holywhippet
Woot the d mans back.

1. By RAW a cleric can cast any spell they have access to based on level and alignment. They don't need to seek out new spells like a wizard or pick spells on level up. Provided they are high enough in level to cast it, and it doesn't clash with their alignment, they can cast it. The protection from sun light spell seems to have been a custom creation by Malack which is a bit of a grey area under the rules. Durkon, at his level, could most likely work it out though.

2. By RAW a vampire must be of an evil alignment. Also, by RAW, a cleric of evil alignment can only spontaneously change spells into a level equivalent inflict spell. Hence by being a vampire he can only spontaneously change any spell into an inflict wounds spell. He can still memorise and cast healing spells though. Many cleric PCs (of good alignment) don't memorise them normally because they can switch them out with no penalty.

Aside from dying and being raised, Durkon does have one other option for getting his old alignment back. If they could obtain a helm of opposite alignment it would switch him from good to evil. Thing is, chances are he's lawful evil now and the helm would change him to chaotic good. Provided either has the right feat, either Durkon or V could craft the helm themselves.

Sylthia
Actually, that's a good point. We know V's soul is trapped with the IFCC, his rival just died and went to an Evil afterlife, Belkar is going to die and also see an Evil afterlife, and there's an argument to be made that Durkon is also in the afterlife (although presumably the LG one), and for that matter Malack is probably also in an Evil afterlife.

I forget how it works for Vampires, but does Malack as we know him even get an afterlife, or is his soul just destroyed?

cavalier973
2013-08-05, 09:31 PM
Ok, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "evil Durkon", but I chuckled at those last two panels.

internisus
2013-08-05, 09:31 PM

I have no doubt that he will undergo quite the existential crisis, but now is not the time for reflection. If anything, his instinct to save his friends before looking to himself demonstrates just how much the old Durkon is still in there.

Ulthwithian
2013-08-05, 09:32 PM
Isn't the ethical axis Law vs Chaos, and the moral axis Good vs Evil? So philosophical would be the mixture of the two?

Well, considering that many don't see a difference between ethics and morals...

In any event, it would seem that the practical difference is between ends and means. Good vs. Evil is more Ends-ish than Means-ish, and Law vs. Chaos is the opposite.

So LG seeks to do good through law/society/the group. CG seeks to do good through the individual.

There are many shades here, but the real kicker is that the contemporary period certainly is much better at distinguishing law and chaos than good and evil. :p

Amphiox
From our limited evidence, Durkon seems to be at least neutral, if not evil, since he spontaneously inflicts now. He seemed to enjoy slaughtering Z in a Belkaresque way, so maybe he wants to stay in his new alignment. I remember a cursed hat that made your alignment the opposite of what it was and one caveat was that your character would find the idea of switching alignments back abhorrent, and not try to switch back, so this might be a similar issue.

If he were neutral, he would have to choose whether his spells convert to Cure or Inflict, wouldn't he? If he got to choose, then it wouldn't be possible for him to Inflict by mistake as he just did, right?

Wouldn't that pretty much confirm that he is Evil now?

Gift Jeraff

Huh. 3 dead souls (if Belkar dies), each LE/NE/CE. 3 archfiends, each LE/NE/CE.

Shale
Regarding LA versus CR increases, the reason for the difference is probably the fact that a vampire's biggest strength is his ability to create an army of relatively powerful undead that are slaves to his will. When the vampire is an NPC, those thralls/minions, if they're present at all, will get their own CRs that factor into the overall challenge rating of the encounter. No such clause for when PCs get thralls, so it has to be built into the character's ECL.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-05, 09:33 PM
Great BLAZES! What a comic! Durkon's vampirism has certainly left its mark.

Also, Jon Pertwee is pleased by the choice of title. :smallbiggrin:

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 09:33 PM
If he were neutral, he would have to choose whether his spells convert to Cure or Inflict, wouldn't he? If he got to choose, then it wouldn't be possible for him to Inflict by mistake as he just did, right?

he himself said hes evil i fail to see how anyone could debate otherwise

littlebum2002
2013-08-05, 09:34 PM
Why on earth didn't Durkula take the opportunity to add another competent wizard to the team?

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 09:34 PM

Durkon has had a history of hiding his personal mental turmoil from the rest of the Order. (Remember how he acted when he returned to the Order after breaking it off with Hilgya?)

That aspect of Durkon's personality likely has not changed.

It could be quite a big deal/existential crisis but he's just putting on a stoic facade for Roy's benefit.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-05, 09:35 PM
I forget how it works for Vampires, but does Malack as we know him even get an afterlife, or is his soul just destroyed?

His soul gets sent to purgatory. No, wait, that's Supernatural (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Supernatural).

Real answer: we don't know. His soul may have been sent to the appropriate afterlife when he was vampirised, or his soul just got released and sent when his body was destroyed. Either way, his soul isn't just destroyed.

Grey Wolf

Ulthwithian

Per Word of Giant, Durkon spontaneously casts Inflict spells because he's a vampire, not because he's necessarily evil. So his spontaneous casting is still ambiguous.

(E.g., he could be a LG vampire, and at least RAG says that he'd still spontaneously cast Inflict spells.)

Raising the devil, not so much, as others have pointed out.

Shale

One day after the arrival of 12, too! Coincidence?

Well, possibly.

Sylthia
Great BLAZES! What a comic! Durkon's vampirism has certainly left its mark.

I ask Who?

Amphiox
2013-08-05, 09:37 PM

Perhaps his soul reverts to the soul of the Lizardfolk Shaman he was before he was vampirized, and all his memories and experiences of being a vampire are lost/forgotten (akin to how souls forget their experiences in the Afterlife after being Resurrected?).

Ulthwithian
2013-08-05, 09:37 PM
Why on earth didn't Durkula take the opportunity to add another competent wizard to the team?

Because, as Malack's death clearly demonstrates, sometimes that backfires on the team controlling the vampire thrall.

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:38 PM

I think he felt he didn't have the time, to just sit there and drain Z, since Nale likely would have interfered, plus time is of the essence, since the Order is in trouble. As well as creating a powerful enemy if Z ever got unthralled.

Incom
2013-08-05, 09:40 PM
Huh. 3 dead souls (if Belkar dies), each LE/NE/CE. 3 archfiends, each LE/NE/CE.

Actually, come to think of it, there are probably a lot more. Tsukiko comes to mind. Lots of goblins, including possibly a certain SoD character (though we have yet to see where TDO and the IFCC see each other). Probably some Thieves' Guild members. We still don't know about Thog.

Someone just bumped the Graveyard thread, might as well look those up...

Vinsfeld
2013-08-05, 09:41 PM
Dammit, Durkon. I really liked Z :smallfrown:

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:41 PM
Actually, come to think of it, there are probably a lot more. Tsukiko comes to mind. Lots of goblins, including possibly a certain SoD character (though we have yet to see where TDO and the IFCC see each other). Probably some Thieves' Guild members. We still don't know about Thog.

Someone just bumped the Graveyard thread, might as well look those up...

This seems like it might be the biggest 24 hour period in-comic since the battle for Azure City.

gamephil
2013-08-05, 09:42 PM
I ask Who?

I'm sorry, blue means sarcasm or joke, right? Because that's much funnier if not intentional.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-05, 09:43 PM
I think he felt he didn't have the time, to just sit there and drain Z, since Nale likely would have interfered, plus time is of the essence, since the Order is in trouble. As well as creating a powerful enemy if Z ever got unthralled.

Also, a vampire drow would be too sexy for the comic.

internisus
2013-08-05, 09:45 PM
It would be quite interesting if, when Belkar inevitably goes to express his regret about Durkon getting killed to save him, Durkon's reply shows a complete indifference towards his vampirism or he actually glories in it because it's made him stronger. That would be a very powerful way to reveal that he actually is evil now.

Porthos
2013-08-05, 09:46 PM
You know, Roy was remarkably mellow about meeting Free Willed Durkon. Not nearly as much angst as I was expecting.

Must be that Lawful stoic training at work. :smallwink:

Well that and he already got a lot of his feels out of his system. Still, I think the overall point stands.

white lancer
2013-08-05, 09:47 PM
Hmm. That seemed a little bit too easy for Durkula to just waltz right back to join the Order, but I guess I'm going to have to trust that the Giant isn't going to let the vampirism thing slide by THAT easily. I expect much development out of this...development. :D

endiku
2013-08-05, 09:47 PM
Awesome update Rich - thank you for what you do!

My prediction

So now Belkar will see that Durkon just incapacitated Roy - he'll attack Durkon and Durkon will kill Belkar...

Meanwhile - The elemental kills Haley - Durkon potions Roy - pounds the elemental into dust - then raises Haley - Belkar is out of luck and ends up dead - for lols they might stuff him into a bag of holding so they can try to raise him later...

:-)

Forikroder
2013-08-05, 09:48 PM
Hmm. That seemed a little bit too easy for Durkula to just waltz right back to join the Order, but I guess I'm going to have to trust that the Giant isn't going to let the vampirism thing slide by THAT easily. I expect much development out of this...development. :D

well the order is pretty busy right now

Mr. Pants
2013-08-05, 09:49 PM
Zz'dtri was such a pain in the neck, so Durkula snapped his in two to return the favor.

Mutant Sheep
2013-08-05, 09:50 PM
Yay Durkon! Sad he didn't thrall Z, but the corpse throwing was awessoooooome.:smallbiggrin:

MaxTer
2013-08-05, 09:50 PM
I really enjoyed this comic .

I think Durkon can still prepare cure spells , but he can`t Spontaneous Casting then anymore.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-05, 09:52 PM
You know, Roy was remarkably mellow about meeting Free Willed Durkon. Not nearly as much angst as I was expecting.

Well that and he already got a lot of his feels out of his system. Still, I think the overall point stands.

Yeah, he's had a lot go on, plus he did already sorta get to say goodbye to Durkon in the phantasm. But like you said, he got it out of his system yelling at Belkar. Roy's pretty solid when he's not surprised.

Teioh
2013-08-05, 09:53 PM
Sad Z's gone just as I was starting to really like him, and warming up to the LG's potential. Oh well, Door can't go very far, so hopefully Nale can come back and get Z for a raise. Who can then Sunburst Durkon later in repayment. I'm sure that'll go well with Durk's Reflex score.

Sylthia
2013-08-05, 09:54 PM

Maybe if he met him at another time, he would react differently, but likely he wants any help he can get at this point.

holywhippet
2013-08-05, 09:55 PM

My thought is that they are currently in the middle of a fight with a freaking huge silicon elemental. Two of their number are in trouble and Durkon appears willing to help. For Roy, worrying about Durkon's alignment or undead status is a lower priority.