PDA

View Full Version : To arms! (or "How to run war encounters")

Spider_Jerusalem
2013-08-05, 09:34 PM
War has been one of the main themes of a campaign I've been running for the past 5 or 6 years.

Through the years, the players exchanged characters (sometimes because their previous ones had died, sometimes due to the retirement or some partial seclusion of one of them), and they helped shape the situation of the kingdom and its relation with the bordering nations. New kingdoms were created and old ones were torn apart, but the characters usually weren't on the battlefield.

This, however, is quite probably going to happen during the next few sessions (one of the player characters, Sir Cedric, is a knight, and he was named the general of the biggest human kingdom on the continent, but after seeing some of the king's insane actions, he decided to overthrow the monarch).

Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys how you usually deal with massive battles when DMing, especially when one of the characters may be commanding at least one squadron. Up to now, I've tried some location-based encounters and some event based adventures, with the actual massive battles happening as a background. In both cases, I tried using that idea of victory points (from Heroes of Battle), with some minor adjustments, and it worked fine, but I think it would be nice hearing some good ideas from the other DMs here!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-05, 09:43 PM
"Battle as a backdrop" is pretty much the best advice I've seen. I'll drop you a link to a military unit template (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2hjp8?Military-Unit-by-template) that you might find useful, though-- you can represent quite large groups of soldiers as single creatures, making things much easier to keep track of.

On an unrelated note, I love your avatar. Transmetropolitan is fantastic.