PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Question about chill touch and smiting spell: how do they work together?

Averis Vol
2013-08-06, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone. I've been working on an "Arcane archer" lately, that is most likely going to be a straight classed battle sorcerer. I planned the arcane part for him to basically metamagic reduced smiting spells along with static long duration buffs. Now my question today comes from the wording of smiting spell, paired with the chill touch spell.

SMITING SPELL
You can channel the energy of a touch spell into a weapon,
causing the spell to discharge when you strike an opponent.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1, caster level 1st.
Benefit: You can alter a spell with a range of touch to
transfer its energy from your hand to a weapon that you
hold. The next time you strike an opponent with that
weapon, the spell discharges. The target takes the normal
damage and effects of a successful attack in addition to
the spell’s effect. Once you place a spell into a weapon,
you must discharge it within 1 minute, or its energy dissipates
harmlessly

this is what concerns me. Now since chill touch is 1 touch per level, how does it interact with the term discharge in smiting spell? Do you get to effectively fire 1 chill touch shot per level, or does the spell "discharge" after the first spell? I personally think you would get one shot level, but the wording confuses me a bit as I'm not incredibly fluent in RaW. Any insight you may have would be appreciated!

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-06, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately the entire spell is discharged when you make one hit. I would ask your DM though. He might be nice enough to give you multiple hits.

Averis Vol
2013-08-06, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately the entire spell is discharged when you make one hit. I would ask your DM though. He might be nice enough to give you multiple hits.

as much as I want it to work my way I figured it was this. It would be easy to cheese out some extra caster levels to get two or three full attacks worth of str damage.