PDA

View Full Version : Battle Cleric

PaucaTerrorem
2013-08-06, 02:40 AM
Playing an evil battle cleric(not a big caster, mind you) unoptimized and looking for the playgrounds advice.

Homebrew campaign with homebrew races and VERY by the book. No more fudging carry weight or unlimited mundane ammo, and we get xp multiclass penalties(yay!). Core only except for PrC.

Here's what I have:
Cleric Level 1(planning on Cleric 16/Fighter 4)Favored Class: Fighter

STR: 17
DEX: 11
CON: 17
INT: 11
WIS: 15
CHA: 15

I use a Heavy Flail for flavor reasons(I mean really, who says no to a cleric with a big "**** you" flail?).
4 ranks in both heal and spellcraft. Took Endurance as my first level feat.
Only preparing a cure of each level and personal buffs.

Basically want to smashkilltakeovertheworldformygod.
My question is, what PrC should I be looking at?

Norin
2013-08-06, 03:31 AM
If your DM allows it, the Divine Metamagic: Persist feat combined with ways to gain more turn attempts, allows you to persist alot of self buffs that makes the fighter levels you took a bit redundant.

Also have a look at the Cleric Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=91d1pl6lhophqi7mq6hia852s6&topic=1238) for some great tips.

Primary Melee:
A cleric focused on melee combat needs at least a couple standards. Power Attack is a staple feat for damage output. Strength arguably becomes more important than Wisdom for this build; mainly because your spells will be focusing on buffs and not anything that might require a save. Divine Power and Righteous Might are two must have spells, as well. If you can stack nightsticks (see the debatable tactics/tricks below), have an insane Charisma for some reason, or some form of extra feat system, Persist Spell becomes a very viable method of buffing at the beginning of the day. Great Prestige Class options include the Ordained Champion (Complete Champion) and the Ruby Knight Vindicator (Tome of Battle). Note: It is okay for melee clerics to lose caster levels due to multiclassing/prestige classes as long as they achieve 9th level spells. Miracle is an amazing buff spell.

Hoped that helped you a bit.

Edit:
Also, a huge flail is just too awesome to pass on, I agree! *SMASH!* :smallfurious:

Jon Everyman
2013-08-06, 03:37 AM
Applying either the slaughter or tyranny versions of Paladin to Prestige Paladin from the same book, Unearthed Arcana, can work well as either a 1 level or 2 level dip. Gets you all the paladin goodies that matter for a feat and some skill points.

Bone Knight from Eberron five nations is solid, as well, and progresses everything you'd have from cleric and prestige paladin.

Ordained Champion from Complete Champion is a nice cleric class if you want to give up casting power for some close-quarters abilities. It's at least worth looking into replacing fighter 4 with 4 of that.

Those are my favorite 3 fighty-cleric prestige classes that fit well into just about any build. All of them give up a small amount of caster levels, which is pretty much always a self-nerf, but in an unoptimized setting that's probably a good thing, it'll keep you from being picked on.

ramrod
2013-08-06, 03:57 AM
I took str and ear domains and selected my feats as a fighter. At level 5 I have power attack and cleave, I have payed him in 2 campaigns and it is fun.

I wield my great sword, buff up, cast enlarge person and use my strength bonus as well, hulking up to 25 str, 10 ft reach and a ton of damage.

Plus, I can still stand at the back and spam aoe stun spells :)

PaucaTerrorem
2013-08-06, 04:31 AM
Ordained Champion looks perfect. I already have War domain so I'll probably pick up Destruction for the smite and go Cleric 16/Ordained Champion 3/Fighter 1.

*Edit- I love the playground. Really you guys, I love you.

EyethatBinds
2013-08-06, 10:04 AM
I took str and ear domains

What book is the Ear domain in?

Psyren
2013-08-06, 10:08 AM
What book is the Ear domain in?

Complete Senses

Basically want to smashkilltakeovertheworldformygod.
My question is, what PrC should I be looking at?

Ordained Champion is really good. Or you could actually go for a caster PrC like Contemplative - thanks to Divine Power, your BAB doesn't actually matter.