PDA

View Full Version : Level 50 character! Help please!

Spiritjoo
2013-08-06, 03:13 PM
Hello! I am Spiritjoo, Master of All! On a serious note, I need help create a level 50 character. Look into the spoiler for the rules of the campaign.
Starting level is 50

Pointbuy of 40

Maximum La of +4(if you choose a +4 LA, you must have at least 20 levels in your base class)

All players have the Half Deity subtype.

Half Deity Subtype
Gains: Immortality(Can not die unless body destroyed, or head is removed)
Soul Immortality(Soul will regenerate x days later, depending on severity of injury)
Damage reduction 1/4 from all attacks made by non deity
Conditional Level up( You may not level up, until the god you follow grants you more power.)
Attribute immunity( You are immune to damage to your attributes: Con,dex,str,......ect.)
AC+10
HP+100
Spell uses+3 per day for each level category.
Does not eat, Sleep, or breath. But may choose to do so.
Godly Weapon starts off with 1(2 if two weapon fighting) +5 weapon
Godly Armor Starts off with 1 +5 armor
LA+0 (For this campaign only)

Must follow and worship one god. You will not fall an alignment if you do something evil.

All books allowed, so long as you can provide me with a page number, on anything you have a question about.

NO GESTALT

LEADERSHIP IS NOT ALLOWED

Flaws are allowed, and you can have a reasonable homebrew flaw.

We will be using Roll20.net for the game. All rolls must be made there. Except for ability score rolls. I trust you on those.
----------------------------
Weapons/Armor

You may have 1 weapon(2 if two weapon fighting) That is +5, Vorpal is not allowed. You only pay the difference when buying magic enhancements
E:Keen is 2000, Blurring is 8000. 10000 total if you want both on the same weapon.

You may have 1 armor that is +5
(See weapons)
--------------------------
Gold/Items

You have 1 hewards handy haversack, and 100,000 gold to spend.
About Dieties

You may worship one of the following alignment does not matter, as they all have aspects in a certain alignment.

War
Love/lust
Death/life
Nature
Wisdom
Fire
water
wind
earth

No your powers can not combine to form capt planet.
--------------------------------------------------------------
You may ask for one custom ability from your god. Within reason.

E: Strength to carve mountains with my hands. Or able to read books 100 times faster.

Character sheets are to be sent to me Via Myth-weavers.com.

The world is about Greek Mythos in timeline. High RP, minimal combat, except at certain points..or unless the group decides to pick a fight.

I would like to create a melee character who can be the best battle field controller (Charge, trip, grapple, and etc. . .) a melee character can be. I want NO spellcasting for this character. As the rules said this campaign is a heavy RP campaign, so I would like to see some interesting builds. I have not created a character above fifteen, so that is why I have created this thread. Please read the rules and let me know!

eggynack
2013-08-06, 03:32 PM
I'm just going to point this out, because I think it's worth pointing out. I don't think that a melee character can really contribute at all in a 50th level campaign. Like, at all, ever. I've gotta figure that you'd die in the surprise round against any caster that knows what he's doing, and as monsters increase in power, they tend to become casters. I mean, if it's just a free form role playing game, it might not matter quite as much, but then the mechanics of your mundane doings aren't very important. It's just, y'know, a warning. In any case, you should check out Jack B. Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick) for feat based inspiration. It seems to be missing knock-down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) which is pretty nice. Seriously though, this stuff stops being useful somewhere around level ten, and you aren't level ten. It's a problematic thing.

Svata
2013-08-06, 03:39 PM
Yeah, what eggynack said. A Melee-only build can't do JACK at lv 50. Best you can hope for is to gish, and even then, you're limited.

karkus
2013-08-06, 03:47 PM
Do an Elritch Knight/Abjurant Champion build; Epic-level spellcasting while being equally good at melee. :smallsmile:

Randomguy
2013-08-06, 04:05 PM
There are A LOT of possible melee builds with just those criteria. Can you be a bit more specific as to what you want? For example, do you want your character to be a barbaric warrior like Conan or an honourable knight, or what? Is Tome of Battle allowed?

Also, it might not be the best to make a combat specialized character for a campaign with minimal combat.

Rebel7284
2013-08-06, 04:15 PM

This rule is a real bummer. :(

Is epic spellcasting allowed? If yes, there isn't much you can do against those.

You can always combine warhulk with hulking hurler to throw small planets.

RadagastTheBrow
2013-08-06, 04:42 PM
A lot of people dismissing the idea of a fighter, under these rules, going toe-to-toe with spellcasters. Please allow my two gp...

I know you also said, "NO spellcasting ability," but can you be lenient and allow one spell-like ability granted from your god/pantheon/whatever? Say, Anti-Magic Field?

'Cause, if so, the epic feat Permanent Emanation (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Epic/Feats/Permanent_Emanation_Epic.htm) coupled with that little spell there will take care of most of your spell-casters. Essentially, you'd have an AM Field you can turn on or off with a thought. (Alternatively, if you can find an item to cast it as a free action, use that instead.)

Couple that with a Ring of Spell Battle to know whenever a spell's being cast at you, and your set.

For clarification, the Ring of Spell Battle, Magic Item Compendium pg 127:

Price (Item Level): 12,000 gp (13th)
A Ring of Spell Battle informs you of all spellcasting that occurs within 60 feet of you, as well as allowing you to attempt a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level) to identify the spell being cast (even if you can't see its casting or effect). This is a continuous effect and requires no activation.

Once per day, when you succeed in identifying a spell in this manner, you can activate the ring to counter spell that spell as with Dispel Magic, or change the target of the spell to any target within 60 feet of you. If you choose an illegal target (because of the spell's range limitation or other restrictions), the spell functions normally and the effect is wasted.

If that's still too much spellcasting ability for your taste, though, I guess you can just get a custom ring of Anti-Magic Ray or something to effectively immunize you to spellcasters.

As for the specific character, well, the sky's the limit. Maybe put all your levels in Monk and enjoy the insane speed, saves, and natural Spell Resistance? Or a Fighter with literally every combat feat in the PHB, and then some? Or a Rogue trying to hide from reality itself?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-06, 04:47 PM
Ok, well lets start with the basics.

Your BAB doesn't mean anything without massive buffs.

Your movement isn't fast enough to catch up with your foe without massive buffs.

You will die the first time you fail a save. Without immunities to everything, you are dead the first time you roll a nat one on a save.

Your damage... well it can be the most reliable way to kill stuff in high epic. Pure, physical, non-magical damage is a good solid base.

That said

The wizard 50 can be just as good of an ubercharger as you, likely better.

Spells are the structure of high epic 3.5. Building a character without them will be left out of large sections of play due to inability to be useful.

Nettlekid
2013-08-06, 04:58 PM
Hello! I am Spiritjoo, Master of All! On a serious note, I need help create a level 50 character. Look into the spoiler for the rules of the campaign.
Starting level is 50

Pointbuy of 40

Maximum La of +4(if you choose a +4 LA, you must have at least 20 levels in your base class)

All players have the Half Deity subtype.

Half Deity Subtype
Gains: Immortality(Can not die unless body destroyed, or head is removed)
Soul Immortality(Soul will regenerate x days later, depending on severity of injury)
Damage reduction 1/4 from all attacks made by non deity
Conditional Level up( You may not level up, until the god you follow grants you more power.)
Attribute immunity( You are immune to damage to your attributes: Con,dex,str,......ect.)
AC+10
HP+100
Spell uses+3 per day for each level category.
Does not eat, Sleep, or breath. But may choose to do so.
Godly Weapon starts off with 1(2 if two weapon fighting) +5 weapon
Godly Armor Starts off with 1 +5 armor
LA+0 (For this campaign only)

Must follow and worship one god. You will not fall an alignment if you do something evil.

All books allowed, so long as you can provide me with a page number, on anything you have a question about.

NO GESTALT

LEADERSHIP IS NOT ALLOWED

Flaws are allowed, and you can have a reasonable homebrew flaw.

We will be using Roll20.net for the game. All rolls must be made there. Except for ability score rolls. I trust you on those.
----------------------------
Weapons/Armor

You may have 1 weapon(2 if two weapon fighting) That is +5, Vorpal is not allowed. You only pay the difference when buying magic enhancements
E:Keen is 2000, Blurring is 8000. 10000 total if you want both on the same weapon.

You may have 1 armor that is +5
(See weapons)
Gold/Items

You have 1 hewards handy haversack, and 100,000 gold to spend.
About Dieties

You may worship one of the following alignment does not matter, as they all have aspects in a certain alignment.

War
Love/lust
Death/life
Nature
Wisdom
Fire
water
wind
earth

--------------------------------------------------------------

E: Strength to carve mountains with my hands. Or able to read books 100 times faster.

Character sheets are to be sent to me Via Myth-weavers.com.

The world is about Greek Mythos in timeline. High RP, minimal combat, except at certain points..or unless the group decides to pick a fight.

I would like to create a melee character who can be the best battle field controller (Charge, trip, grapple, and etc. . .) a melee character can be. I want NO spellcasting for this character. As the rules said this campaign is a heavy RP campaign, so I would like to see some interesting builds. I have not created a character above fifteen, so that is why I have created this thread. Please read the rules and let me know!

You know, I was about to offer a list of suggestions, regarding a difficult to target character or what immunities to gain, but the more I think about it, I can only see that neither you nor your DM have any idea what's going on. I don't mean to be offensive when I say this; I know it sounds like an awesome idea to do a super Epic high level king of the universe type campaign, but...You've lost all sense of scale. Looking at what you've listed here, what your DM thinks is too strong and overpowered, or too weak and needs a boost, or what's a fair number and what isn't, tells the tale. I'll list some of the obvious ones.

Part of your template grants you +10 AC. At level 20, AC doesn't matter anymore. Most things attack with SoD spells, the things that don't use Touch attacks, and the things that use regular attacks have such a high to-hit that they will never miss you. And it also grants 100 HP, which at level 50, corresponds to a +4 boost to Con, without the other benefits of +4 Con. Epic monsters that a level 21 party might face will tear through HP by the thousands, if you're lucky enough to be facing something so simple that it does HP damage.

You have far too little gold. 100,000? A 20th level character has close to 1 million. You have the same amount as a character between levels 12 and 13. And gold is IMPORTANT, because your class will not have all the means you need to protect yourself. Soulfire armor? Mind Blank? True Seeing? Freedom of Movement? Some of these are absolute essentials for high-level play, and you can barely afford any of them. And yet they think that Vorpal is too powerful. Vorpal is nearly useless (activating 5% of the time, assuming a confirmed crit (remember, it only works on a nat 20, not on any critical hit)) and most players will tell you that it's not worth the money. Your DM seems not to understand how the price works for adding multiple weapon special abilities onto one weapon.

But the telltale sign that you and your DM are not ready for this game is that you're unfamiliar with the terminology. You're saying "attribute" when you mean ability score. To say "fall an alignment" is just...peculiar. Now yes, it's not unreasonable to use a different nomenclature, but my gut feeling is telling me that you're all inexperienced, and as a result, you're getting in over your head.

Look at the monsters like Umbral Blot (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Umbral_Blot), Demilich (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Demilich), or Phane (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Phane), and tell me how you'd beat them. These are CR 32, 29, and 25 respectively. You should be able to grind them beneath your heel. But based on what you're telling me, I don't think you'd be able to stop the Umbral Blot from bapping you until you Nat 1 your Fort save, the Phane from doing the same with its Stasis Touch, and the Demilich from Shapechanging into a Chronotyryn and pummeling you with Trap the Soul. If you can't imagine fighting any of these things, then you really might want to rethink playing level 50.

eggynack
2013-08-06, 05:02 PM
I know you also said, "NO spellcasting ability," but can you be lenient and allow one spell-like ability granted from your god/pantheon/whatever? Say, Anti-Magic Field?

'Cause, if so, the epic feat Permanent Emanation (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Epic/Feats/Permanent_Emanation_Epic.htm) coupled with that little spell there will take care of most of your spell-casters. Essentially, you'd have an AM Field you can turn on or off with a thought. (Alternatively, if you can find an item to cast it as a free action, use that instead.)

Couple that with a Ring of Spell Battle to know whenever a spell's being cast at you, and your set.
... Not really. Antimagic field isn't nearly as good against wizards as it's made out to be, and this is doubly true in an epic game. Between invoke magic, spells that don't care about AMF's, fancy shrunken lead hats, and epic magic of various kinds, antimagic field will do very little in a level 50 game. I mean, just at the most basic level, what does an AMF do against a gate? I don't know the fullest extent of epic magic, but it's beyond a fighter with an AMF. It's just really really really (really really really) far away from being enough.

inuyasha
2013-08-06, 05:07 PM
Barbarian hulking hurler war hulk frenzied berserker...sounds like magic

lsfreak
2013-08-06, 05:25 PM
I firmly believe it's not possible to ask for builds at epic levels and get meaningful answers, because the rules are so flimsy and dependent on the DM that it's basically homebrew. We have a good foundation of assumptions to work at with mid-levels for assuming how a campaign will play out, and decent assumption about high levels. Once you break 20, though, everything goes out the window and it's completely DM-dependent, which means a bunch of anonymous internet people don't really have any basis for judging the quality of advice they're giving.

Look at the monsters like Umbral Blot (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Umbral_Blot), Demilich (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Demilich), or Phane (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Phane), and tell me how you'd beat them. These are CR 32, 29, and 25 respectively.

To build upon this, these monstrosities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188138) aren't even epic-level characters.

eggynack
2013-08-06, 05:43 PM
I firmly believe it's not possible to ask for builds at epic levels and get meaningful answers, because the rules are so flimsy and dependent on the DM that it's basically homebrew. We have a good foundation of assumptions to work at with mid-levels for assuming how a campaign will play out, and decent assumption about high levels. Once you break 20, though, everything goes out the window and it's completely DM-dependent, which means a bunch of anonymous internet people don't really have any basis for judging the quality of advice they're giving.
Well, I have at least a little basis for the things I'm saying. Realistically, what is a fighter getting past level twenty? The answer, by my understanding, is not much. On the other end of the spectrum, you have wizards. Now, even if wizards didn't gain anything after level twenty, a fighter would still be a largely pointless part of the team.

However, wizards do get something, and that thing is epic spell casting. By my understanding, epic casting is the biggest thing that exists within the range of fiat, but any amount of exertion along those lines will lead to a pretty solid chunk of extra power. Wizards also get some other neat toys to play with, like even greater metamagic capabilities, and cosmic descryer. It feels like I can safely extrapolate from normal level twenty play, and conclude that fighters don't even have the slightest impact on the game by level fifty. This is leaving aside the loss of most of wealth by level, which must leave fighters absolutely crushed. It's possible that I'm missing something in my general analysis of fighters at level fifty, but it's safe to say that a 50th level character isn't contributing much, if anything at all, without magic.

Nettlekid
2013-08-06, 06:42 PM
But okay, if you want a level 50 primarily melee character, then here's a build I threw together out of two-and-a-half builds I had, with some tweaking.

Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade 10/Runescarred Berserker 10/Teflammar Shadowlord 4/Frenzied Berserker 10/Swordsage 2/Warblade 1/Crusader 1/Master of Nine 5. I'll leave you to figure out feats and stuff. For pre-req purposes, you'll need: Blind-Fight, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack (you'll get that for free from Swiftblade), Iron Will (you can get that for 3000 gold from the Otyugh Hole), Survivor, any Berserker Lodge feat (choose whichever you like best), Adaptive Style, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Cleave, Destructive Rage, Intimidating Rage, Power Attack. I haven't counted out all the feats you'll get from Epic levels and such, but you ought to have enough by level 50. Skill ranks will also be troublesome, but you'll be able to do it. Just allocate everything as it should be.

The books these classes come from are:
PHB (Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue)
Dungeonscape (Trapsmith)
Online Article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) (Swiftblade)
Unapproachable East (Runescarred Berserker, Teflammar Shadowlord)
Complete Warrior (Frenzied Berserker)
Tome of Battle (Swordsage, Warblade, Crusader, Master of Nine)
And also Complete Champion for Lion Totem Barbarian.

This build gives you the same shtick in two different ways, but they both boil down to "smack 'em REAL hard." Barbarian is there for Pounce (full attack on a charge) and to get a little Rage power. Fighter is there to get Feats, but if you were okay with going from Lawful to Chaotic in the span of a level, you could take two levels of Monk first and then the Barbarian, and you'll actually be up a feat since Improved Unarmed Strike is one you need, and you can pick up Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats. Rogue is there for Sneak Attack (prereq) and skill points for a variety of things, especially Trapsmith. Trapsmith is there because you get Haste, for Swiftblade. Swiftblade is there to progress your BAB, and the best ability is at 9th level when you get an extra move or standard action each round while Hasted. Runescarred Berserker is a key part of the build, granting the ability to cast spells like Divine Power to boost your low-because-of-Epic BAB and Dimension Door (prereq). Teflammar Shadowlord is there for Shadow Pounce, which I'll get to in a bit. Frenzied Berserker is there to pump up your Power Attack, and Rage in general. And finally, Swordsage, Crusader, Warblade, and Master of Nine are there to take advantage of your high level counting toward Initiator level, giving you your pick of choice maneuvers, though the Swordsage is the most important part of that.

What you'll do is this. Frenzied Berserker grants a 4 to 1 return on Power Attack, easily boosting it higher with things like Leap Attack. There are many handbooks regarding this. By casting Divine Power from Runescarred Berserker, your BAB is 50, which means that (by mitigating the penalty to to-hit into AC using Shock Trooper, as you will be likely to have) you can be dealing upwards of 200, 300 damage per hit, regardless of your weapon damage or Strength. You can initiate this with a regular charge (a full-round action), and there are a couple of neat maneuvers like Bounding Assault and Salamander Charge can make a non-linear charge attack. So you rush in, attack with your 50+Str+whatever attack bonus (see, told you AC doesn't matter in Epic levels), and do a full five attacks (thanks to Haste). Because of Swiftblade, you still have your Swift and then either Move or Standard action left. Using the Swordsage's Shadow Blink or Shadow Stride/Jaunt, you can teleport up to 50 ft, but do so right next to the target. Because of the Teflammar Shadowlord's Shadow Pounce, you'll get another full attack, and because Power Attack's bonuses and penalties last all round, you get the same +200 damage per hit. Now, your final action can be either another Shadow maneuver to teleport you for another full attack (attacking 15 times in total, 17 if you have the feat Sun School to grant you an extra attack when you teleport next to a foe, meaning 15 or 17 times (1.5*Str+weapon damage+other modifiers+like 200 or 300 or whatever), or you could use your last action to teleport back out up to 50 ft to back out. That's pretty good smashing, right? You'll also be able to heal yourself and allies with Devoted Spirit maneuvers, and you'll have access to the widely-appreciated White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge.

Now, I make this very clear. This is a MELEE build. You have a couple of spells from Runescarred Berserker, but that's barely anything. Under normal Epic-level circumstances, YOU WILL BE OBLITERATED WITHOUT A MOMENT'S NOTICE. YOUR SPELLCASTING SUPERIOR WILL CHUCKLE AT YOUR NONEXISTENT REMAINS. But if this campaign is as you say, then maybe you won't die immeditately.

Anyway, my suggestion. If you don't want a damage brute, do something different.

Renen
2013-08-06, 09:21 PM
If u wanna be a melee effective in killing gods, you can always play exalted...

Urpriest
2013-08-06, 09:52 PM
Level 50 is pretty meaningless in D&D 3.5, and your campaign data makes it sound like your DM doesn't fully understand the rules and isn't very creative. Mastering the social situation is going to be more important than any character you could create.

Invader
2013-08-07, 11:12 AM
If u wanna be a melee effective in killing gods, you can always play exalted...

I'm not sure what this means?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-07, 11:22 AM
The game Exalted. Beating down gods is just a thing Solar Exalted do.

Marthinwurer
2013-08-07, 06:51 PM
Here's a question: what rules would be required so that epic play at this level would even be possible for both mundanes and spellcasters?

eggynack
2013-08-07, 06:59 PM
Here's a question: what rules would be required so that epic play at this level would even be possible for both mundanes and spellcasters?
Playing a different game. Seriously, I don't really consider level twenty games to be possible for both mundanes and spellcasters (with mundanes defined as tier four and five, and casters defined as tiers one and two. Not perfectly accurate, but still). Raising that to level fifty just expands the problems to a crazy extent, where the fighter might actually experience a reduction in his power growth rate, and where wizards experience an expansion of that very thing. You'd basically need to change everything about the system in a fundamental way.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 07:12 PM
That depends on what you say this type of game is

A - Game that melee and wizardry pair to fight the gods in single combat on a backdrop of dinosaurs, deamons, and the whole of history? Well put on your jade colored shoes and shine, because exalted is the best bet you got.

B - Game that feels like Dnd, and uses the rule that looks a lot alike, but the heros are mortal men of great might and sorcerers of mystic power. Well strip off the spandex and put on some big shoulder pads, becuase you want to play the warriors and warlock expansion to mutants and masterminds!

C - Want to play Dnd in a way that heros are mighty men, and you realize that epic is a matter of scale? Well I hope you like alternate rules, because you want to play E6 (maybe 8) with spell points, vitality points, armor and DR, and class based defense bonuses! The world just needs a tweaking of scale, and adult red dragons are the toughest thing around.

Tvtyrant
2013-08-07, 07:29 PM
If you want no spell casting, go Telflammar Shadowlord and get some form of none-casting teleport (Swordsage?.)

Now you need to get rid of enemies' buffs/abilities. Pay for a metric ton of Disjunction contingencies that go off when you teleport/close one eye/free actions. A Ring of Epic Counterspells rounds out your character. Your goal is to tele-pounce an enemy to death in a turn while your disjunctions strip their buffs (and especially contingencies) away.

It probably will not work, but it is the best I can do. Something like Swordsage 20/Telflammar Shadowlord 6/Barbarian 1/Bear Warrior 10/Frenzied Berserker 10/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/Hulking Hurler 1. Gets you tele-pouncing, tons of damage, and if you like the ability to throw moons as a bear.